Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How do we know Chloe isn't bisexual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you know Chloe is anything is the better question

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Larry Parrish posted:

Socially retarded goons can't understand people being intimate without having sex. News at 11

Games poster can't handle that gay people exist and are occasionally portrayed in media without it it being explicitly stated news at 11

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's actually really weird to be thinking about the sex lives of video game characters, or other fictional characters, unless it's a plot point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, its really weird to be thinking about relationships in a game centred around the main characters relationships.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

monster on a stick posted:

How do we know Chloe isn't bisexual?

Am I...am I stuck in a time loop?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

Am I...am I stuck in a time loop?

Rewind, abort, abort.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

It's actually really weird to be thinking about the sex lives of video game characters, or other fictional characters, unless it's a plot point.

Yeah, Chloe's relationship with Rachel Amber? Nothing at all to do with the plot. You got me.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Larry Parrish posted:

This is the 'LGBT relationships are only about sex' fallacy and it's really lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Larry Parrish posted:

It's okay man, you can make Max and Warren kiss and go back to pretending gay people don't exist

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

jkyuusai posted:

This is the 'LGBT relationships are only about sex' fallacy and it's really lovely.

As we all know, the word gay is synonymous with 'hot gay sex' and no same sex relationship ever consists of chilling and watching TV together or going out for breakfast, these things are for proper, normal, straight people.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

As we all know, the word gay is synonymous with 'hot gay sex' and no same sex relationship ever consists of chilling and watching TV together or going out for breakfast, these things are for proper, normal, straight people.

Hey now, we get to eat brunch. We still own brunch and will fight to the last to keep it.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 1, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why it makes me, a gay man, a fagbasher who wants to purge gays from video games for saying it doesn't make you a homosexual to be intimate with someone of the same sex. It's called friendship.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't know why it makes me, a gay man, a fagbasher who wants to purge gays from video games for saying it doesn't make you a homosexual to be intimate with someone of the same sex. It's called friendship.

You're kind of all over the place here and it's really difficult to figure out what, if anything, you're trying to say, so I guess I'll just ask you how many straight men you kiss on the lips in an average day.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Yeah, Chloe's relationship with Rachel Amber? Nothing at all to do with the plot. You got me.

You can not have a sexual relationship with someone and still be pretty shook up about their disappearance.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plom Bar posted:

You're kind of all over the place here and it's really difficult to figure out what, if anything, you're trying to say, so I guess I'll just ask you how many straight men you kiss on the lips in an average day.

I'm not all over the place. I'm saying you're retarded for imagining that people have to be intimately sexual to have concerns and feelings about other people. It's like in your world you go from strange, to acquaintance, to gently caress buddy with no in between at all.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

You can not have a sexual relationship with someone and still be pretty shook up about their disappearance.

Oh, agreed. I tend to view Chloe's relationship with Rachel the way Chloe's VA does, as more of a sick-puppy infatuation than anything else. But she DOES love her and it DOES tie to the fact that Chloe is into both women and men.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And that's not even mentioning the part where you're obsessed with thinking about what video game characters are doing with their genitals which is super weird

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

And also be torn up with jealousy when you find out they're sleeping with someone else. And also literally say that you love them once. Yep, platonic as all hell.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm not all over the place. I'm saying you're retarded for imagining that people have to be intimately sexual to have concerns and feelings about other people. It's like in your world you go from strange, to acquaintance, to gently caress buddy with no in between at all.

Larry Parrish posted:

And that's not even mentioning the part where you're obsessed with thinking about what video game characters are doing with their genitals which is super weird

I never once talked about any of the characters having sex with any of the other characters, that is 100% projection on your part.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

And also be torn up with jealousy when you find out they're sleeping with someone else. And also literally say that you love them once. Yep, platonic as all hell.

I'm talking about in general, but no, you have to keep stinking up the thread.

NM, I'm done here. I liked the game but some goons gotta ruin everything.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 1, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:gas:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chloe wasn't torn up that Rachel was sleeping with Frank because she was sleeping with someone that wasn't her, she was torn up because she thought Frank was a bad influence. It doesn't make you gay if you're upset whenyour best friend starts hanging out with a bad crowd.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why I'm trying to argue with the guy who can't figure out why it's retarded to think the game is somehow doing some kind of silly TV tropes ending about homos in media or whatever because he stays up late at night thinking about what kind of people video game characters have sex with

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't know why I'm trying to argue with the guy who can't figure out why it's retarded to think the game is somehow doing some kind of silly TV tropes ending about homos in media or whatever because he stays up late at night thinking about what kind of people video game characters have sex with

You really are bad at picking up anything that isn't clearly laid out for you here, so allow me:

- I'm not a guy
- I'm not straight
- As a non-straight non-guy, representations of other non-straight non-guys in popular media is of some relevance to my interests.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sakurazuka posted:

Women can sometimes be friends and also sometimes be lesbians.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plom Bar posted:

You really are bad at picking up anything that isn't clearly laid out for you here, so allow me:

- I'm not a guy
- I'm not straight
- As a non-straight non-guy, representations of other non-straight non-guys in popular media is of some relevance to my interests.

You're either getting trolled or dealing with someone who doesn't understand the concept of people doing anything but watching the literal events that happen on screen, accepting them 100% as objective truth, then never thinking about it ever again. And also has a weird preoccupation with relationship=sex. Either way it's not worth it.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
How do you know Chloe even has genitals, I mean we never see her use the bathroom and she's never naked so like you can't just assume

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I find it less weird than thinking of what a real couple does with their genitals, simply because one is imaginary.

Larry Parrish posted:

Chloe wasn't torn up that Rachel was sleeping with Frank because she was sleeping with someone that wasn't her, she was torn up because she thought Frank was a bad influence. It doesn't make you gay if you're upset whenyour best friend starts hanging out with a bad crowd.

Uh no, she was clearly upset she was sleeping with someone else and never told her.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey guys, remember when we posted joke videos and discussed the themes of the game?

So what do you guys think the butterfly and bird came to ultimately represent? Both have a pretty strong tie to Chloe, I would argue that the butterfly is a physical manifestation of her and Max's relationship, but I didn't see it in their end, so I could be wrong here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Moriatti posted:

Hey guys, remember when we posted joke videos and discussed the themes of the game?

So what do you guys think the butterfly and bird came to ultimately represent? Both have a pretty strong tie to Chloe, I would argue that the butterfly is a physical manifestation of her and Max's relationship, but I didn't see it in their end, so I could be wrong here.

I think the butterfly was just a fairly literal representation of the butterfly effect. It was colored blue to make it stand out and directly tie in to Chloe, probably, but the main thing is that the first change Max makes - saving Chloe - leads to large changes. With that in mind, I don't think showing the butterfly again at the end would make much sense. I don't think the bird is especially important in the grand scheme of things, just another of those small changes that you can make early on that show up later (like the dirty RV window.)

E: vvvv This is a really good point. Good catch! vvvv

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 1, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Thinking about it, the bird is, at first glance, a symbol for Chloe. In the "intended" order of things, the bird smacks the window and dies almost randomly in the first episode, unless Max intervenes and manipulates reality to save it. Then, in the fourth episode, once again only through Max' intervention could can the bird survive, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this takes place in the only other episode where the player MUST watch Chloe die (in other situations where you save her life, it's possible to get everything right on the first go; 4 is the only other time all roads lead to dead Chloe).

But, thinking about it further, the bird could also tie into the environmental themes of the story as well. The bird dies because it hits a man-made structure, and only through the removal of that structure can it survive. Arcadia Bay and particularly the Pan Estates expansion are viewed by Samuel and Ms. Grant (among others) as symbolic of humanity's intrusion on nature and disruption of the natural order, man-made structures imposing on the lives of other creatures. Thus, only through the removal of those structures could nature truly thrive again.

That second one might be a bit of a stretch.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

And also has a weird preoccupation with relationship=sex.

Realize thread is trying to move on but I don't think this is a 'weird' thing as much as it is an unfortunately common assumption that explains a large amount of hostility in the world. Just actual misunderstanding.

I think the interaction with small wildlife was just more end-of-world type imagery. At least that's how I interpret playing with garbage to get squirrels to pose.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

You're either getting trolled or dealing with someone who doesn't understand the concept of people doing anything but watching the literal events that happen on screen, accepting them 100% as objective truth, then never thinking about it ever again. And also has a weird preoccupation with relationship=sex. Either way it's not worth it.

Why am I the weird guy who can't think about relationships without sex when I'm the one saying that yall are weird for assuming the characters are lesbians just because they have close relationships.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Plom Bar posted:

Thinking about it, the bird is, at first glance, a symbol for Chloe. In the "intended" order of things, the bird smacks the window and dies almost randomly in the first episode, unless Max intervenes and manipulates reality to save it. Then, in the fourth episode, once again only through Max' intervention could can the bird survive, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this takes place in the only other episode where the player MUST watch Chloe die (in other situations where you save her life, it's possible to get everything right on the first go; 4 is the only other time all roads lead to dead Chloe)..

This was what I was thinking as well, you meet the bird at Chloe's house, and are made to save it, then set it free. The cool part about this is that you can argue that you are letting the bird go, working for the ending where Chloe dies, or that you are letting the bird take flight, which works nicely with you and Chloe leaving Arcadia bay, especially in conjunction with the running reference to her trying to save up to escape.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Why am I the weird guy who can't think about relationships without sex when I'm the one saying that yall are weird for assuming the characters are lesbians just because they have close relationships.

You do realize that the game explicitly DOES say the Chloe hooks up with girls and loves Rachel, right? Like, that's both in the subtext of the character and the actual text of the game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plom Bar posted:

You do realize that the game explicitly DOES say the Chloe hooks up with girls and loves Rachel, right? Like, that's both in the subtext of the character and the actual text of the game.

Except it's only in subtext.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Except it's only in subtext.

DUDE.

Plom Bar posted:

Shortly after the 43 minute mark (bbcode won't parse the timestamp):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xihBmsPUI

And I'm not finding a video the part where Chloe tells Max she hooks up with girls, but I'm pretty sure it's in the first episode in Chloe's room.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

DUDE.

And I'm not finding a video the part where Chloe tells Max she hooks up with girls, but I'm pretty sure it's in the first episode in Chloe's room.

I always got the impression, based on the fact that Chloe also carried condoms in her pocket, that she was probably closer to bisexual? Maybe both Chloe and Max viewed their sexuality as fluid, based on attraction to individuals rather than entire types, and the idea of reducing them to a label such as 'straight' or 'gay' sells short the fact that people are written to be people and not tropes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I always got the impression, based on the fact that Chloe also carried condoms in her pocket, that she was probably closer to bisexual?

holy poo poo encyclopedia brown you cracked the case (in the same conversation Chloe mentions hooking up with girls, she also mentions hooking up with guys)

• Locked thread