Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
gently caress gently caress gently caress. I'm busy until Monday afternoon! Wait for meeee!

E: just watched the trailer and came in my pants. And on the rug. And chair. And keyboard

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You fuckheads are finally making me take the plunge into hard core flight sims. Next thing you know, I'm going to be selling meth to fund a Thrustmaster Warthog.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Security clearance required. Very hard as a nom-citizen. Not worth hassle.

You just need a secret. Something you would need if you want to progress past the rank of E5 as well.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anybody have issues with Freetrack when Falcon runs 64bit?? Don't worry, Vaha is back.

Overwrite your files in Freetrack Folder with these files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lpj2bun4dg6jg6/FreeTrack.7z

And it works. HOw? No one knows, not even the dude who made the mod. BUt it works. Lol.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Wiki is up. If someone who is not an admin wants to write there, make a user and post the name here, I'll admin you.
http://viperinstructors.com/main/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

MODS; please name change:
Falcon BMS, the F-16 Simulator. New mega-patch 4.33

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 31, 2015

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Weapon Delivery Planner, Mission Commander, and Weather Commander have all received updates as of 29OCT2015

http://weapondeliveryplanner.nl/download/index.html
  • WDP makes configuring your DTC easy as gently caress
  • Mission Commander allows you to add squadrons, activate bases, etc. - I like to play the campaign from my own personal highway strip.
  • Weather Commander is new to me but presumably gives control over the new dynamic weather system

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Vahakyla posted:

Anybody have issues with Freetrack when Falcon runs 64bit?? Don't worry, Vaha is back.

Overwrite your files in Freetrack Folder with these files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lpj2bun4dg6jg6/FreeTrack.7z

And it works. HOw? No one knows, not even the dude who made the mod. BUt it works. Lol.

The only thing that's actually relevant in that archive is the libopentrack-proto-freetrack.dll; which he ripped off from Opentrack.

Freetrack is no longer maintained and has poor support for newer games and tracking methods. Use Opentrack which is being actively developed and supports a shitload of tracking methods. Its update yesterday fixes the problem with 64-bit games. It no longer has that issue it had with Falcon where the response curves needed to be doubled either.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Stuff I am most excited about so far (caveat: from the manual, I haven't played yet):

-- ATC improvements. I love the idea of having a functional landing pattern that can handle AI and humans. I look forward to orbiting at 6000 feet for because an AI flight has declared an emergency.
-- Weather improvements. The weather stuff they have added is insane.
-- V/STOL!!!
-- AI wingmen handling low fuel states better, less likely to fly into the ground for no good reason.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Getting back into a campaign is hard. I can employ weapons for the most part just fine but I've lost what ability I had to get SA from all these loving AWACS calls.

I got shown down by a mig 21 I didn't notice :smith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Maintaining awareness on your mental map with bullseye is the part that sets good dudes from bad dudes apart, or so have the real pilots I've spoken to said. They said to imagine a map in your head with the rough bullseye all the time and mentally move the targets around.

It's tricky.
Falcon does lack AI awacs that goes "woah they are right next to you like right now!!!", but havign a human awacs owns balls.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played with a friend the other day and got jumped by 3 Mig19s at 19k feet that AWACS said were at 3000. By "jumped" I mean suddenly having to dodge them to avoid being rammed War Thunder style.

I'm starting to only use the AWACS for declaring poo poo if i can't visually identify it.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I did a fresh install of BMS 4.3.3 and imported Iron's X52 v2.3 key file in BMS. It seems to assign slightly random assignments (MFD 15 on trigger?). The key file itself checks out in Notepad. Each variant seems to be 50% correct, 50% random after import (3 hat directions are good CMS, 4th is lock target?). Its recognizing the correct button is being pressed, just has the wrong action assigned to it.

Anyone else run into this?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Snaxx posted:

I did a fresh install of BMS 4.3.3 and imported Iron's X52 v2.3 key file in BMS. It seems to assign slightly random assignments (MFD 15 on trigger?). The key file itself checks out in Notepad. Each variant seems to be 50% correct, 50% random after import (3 hat directions are good CMS, 4th is lock target?). Its recognizing the correct button is being pressed, just has the wrong action assigned to it.

I hit a similar issue with the cycle aa /ag weapons binds in Gibfender's setup on my X-55. Not sure what's up but hitting those switches is now pressing random OSB buttons.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Vahakyla posted:

... but havign a human awacs owns balls.

A good one. Most human AWACS I've had talk to much and give to little info.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
I've played a tiny bit of DCS on my HOTAS (enough to know how to shoot AMRAAMs in an F15 and have a bit of fun, but pretty much nothing else) and this seems like a good time to try BMS.

I don't have any head tracking stuff though, and it's kind of a pain. Any recommendations on a setup? From some research I'm leaning towards a headphone IRLED clip + PS3 camera + opentrack/whatever, because I don't see the point laying down big bucks on a TrackIR 5 with VR headsets just around the corner anyway, but any pointers welcome :)

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Snaxx posted:

I had a similar issue with a different key file that expected the joystick to be DirectX device 0, all the joystick buttons were mapped really weird. My solution was to unplug all my controllers (HOTAS and pedals), then reboot. Once Windows was back up again I plugged the HOTAS into a different USB port than before, waited 30 seconds for the OS to load drivers, then plugged in my pedals. No problems after that.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Snaxx posted:

I had this too with my warthog profile, it was because my rudder pedals were higher than my combined device, unplugging everything and making sure the warthog was the first device fixed it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Sauer posted:

The only thing that's actually relevant in that archive is the libopentrack-proto-freetrack.dll; which he ripped off from Opentrack.

Freetrack is no longer maintained and has poor support for newer games and tracking methods. Use Opentrack which is being actively developed and supports a shitload of tracking methods. Its update yesterday fixes the problem with 64-bit games. It no longer has that issue it had with Falcon where the response curves needed to be doubled either.

Upon further digging it looks like Opentrack automatically uses the 32-Bit version of the TrackIR emulation DLL when hooking up to Falcon even if Falcon is a 64-bit binary. No idea why that's happening. Its easy to fix though. In the protocol settings for Freetrack 2.0 Enhanced there's a button labelled Locate DLL. Hit that and load the NPClient64.dll file located in the OpenTrack folder. You may need to switch to the NPClient.dll file if you run any 32-Bit game. Maybe not.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 1, 2015

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

We have any goon campaigns going? I want to fly some falcon tomorrow instead of being productive and working.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

apseudonym posted:

We have any goon campaigns going? I want to fly some falcon tomorrow instead of being productive and working.

No, just people dicking around and learning the game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Once I figure out how to get into the 3d world as a tanker or something sitting on the ground in Japan I can get a server going. That is if this game doesn't frustrate me to the point of giving up on it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Click airbase in Japan. Click on a transport squadron. Pick a mission and fly it with a ramp start. Just sit there on the tarmac. Read the manual for multiplayer, the method for setting up IVC has change slightly.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That seemed to do it. I was trying to do a flight with a tanker, guess that doesn't work. With a C-17 I'm sitting nicely in the 3D world in a big rear end cargo jet with the cockpit of an F16.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Looks like I picked a wonderful time to move :v:

Did the BMS guys post a public torrent or do I have to rereg on their forums?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for the tips on the stick. Fought with it for an hour and couldn't get the Win 10 drivers to install on any other port.

Maybe one day the computer gods will reassign it to ID 0 and I can be terrible at another sim.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

EvilJoven posted:

That seemed to do it. I was trying to do a flight with a tanker, guess that doesn't work. With a C-17 I'm sitting nicely in the 3D world in a big rear end cargo jet with the cockpit of an F16.

When you're ready I can set up goon squadrons in Mission Commander / teach you how to do it yourself.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Snaxx posted:

Thanks for the tips on the stick. Fought with it for an hour and couldn't get the Win 10 drivers to install on any other port.

Maybe one day the computer gods will reassign it to ID 0 and I can be terrible at another sim.

If you hung out on IRC with us old fuckers I could have given you the utility you need to change your joystick IDs around.

Everyone needs to be in the IRC.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
A reasonably well simulated Hornet is nice but if they were going to force F-16 cockpit controls into an F-18's pit they really should have just renamed all the cockpit labels to read what their actual function is instead of using proper F-18 labels and tell the realism autists to bite the curb. There's no ingame tooltips when you hover over a button so you've got to memorize the cockpit layout images in the doc folder. The CF-18 is armed with LGBs but has no targetting pods allocated to it in the only campaign with them available. Can't drop JDAMs either even though they can IRL.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any decent profiles for Falcon for the Thrustmaster HOTAS X? I keep trying to get into it but I get overwhelmed trying to configure the drat controls to my joystick. Don't got a ton of buttons to work with so I'm having a hard time figuring out what's critical.

Dantares
Dec 11, 2005
Wags just put up a poll asking what elements people most want in DCS. Aaaaaaaand one of those options is a Dynamic Campaign.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151627

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Dantares posted:

Wags just put up a poll asking what elements people most want in DCS. Aaaaaaaand one of those options is a Dynamic Campaign.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151627

Dynamic campaign is winning, if more jets win over a playable game I'm going to be sad.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Just done a clean install of 4.33. Can I still install Israel/Battle for the Balkans or do I need to wait for them to be updated?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm the four people who want more scripted missions and campaigns over a dynamic campaign system

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man gently caress all these people voting for something other than a dynamic campaign.

'hurr durr can we gets more meaningless features'

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any quick way to remap my T-16000M to ingame functions for 4.33 aside from using the ingame controls and doing it one by one, and then forgetting a few so having to add em etc? It always felt awkward as gently caress to do, so I think I may be missing an alternative.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

If you hung out on IRC with us old fuckers I could have given you the utility you need to change your joystick IDs around.

I found a utility that does this on a Street Fighter fan site. My x52 is the only device.

I'm thinking it may be with the keyfile import. Apparently most people are just using their old keyfile, not trying to bridge a new one in. It seems to break the file when its imported and reassign things to where they would be on the default profile (e.g. pinky on button 3). I suppose I will wait to see if Iron's profile gets updated.

Has anyone else done a fresh install and sucessfuly imported an original 4.32 profile (not a custom one used/saved with the old client)?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
so uh, should we be posting first carrier landing vids?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

EvilJoven posted:

Can you post this utility to the thread please?

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
What loving rabbit hole have I fallen down?
You start off hearing about a game that has an accurate representation of the WWII Mustang you can fly! and shoot!
And you end up with hundreds of pages of manuals to read to fly a pretend F16.
God help me I'm actually interested in most of what I'm reading as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Key File Editor still work for BMS 4.33, it just won't have any of the newest callbacks. As far as I can tell there aren't very many and most of them are for VTOL. If you really want to go and fly something that isn't an F-16 in a game that is only reliably able to do an F-16 you should take the time to learn the key file format and write your own. Its more time consuming than hard and there's documentation on how to do it in BMS's folder. There's also an excel spreadsheet in there that you can use instead of that application if you want the newer callbacks but don't want to roll your own. Remember that the Key File Editor is unstable so save like, all the loving time.