Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ErIog posted:

Nicalis has kind of a reputation for not being fantastic on the robust coding front, but Rebirth at least performs better than old Flash Isaac did.

A lot of the crashes I've seen is down, simply put, to bad game design. Bomber Boy + Scatter Bombs + Sad Bombs + Cricket's Body (say) produces ~15 bombs that each produce 3 bombs that each produce 8 tears that each produce 2 tears. There'll be a thousand tears that can interact with other things, can have special particle effects and whatnot on screen from a single bomb. Got that combo with Godhead, Tiny Planet and a couple of other things that make the maths more complicated and no wonder it crashed every time I used a bomb.

On a side note, a new personal record for "biggest tears":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think it's just a bug, which will probably be fixed in one of the inevitable patches. They probably forgot to make it like the Womb endings, which unlock even when you skip to Sheol or the Cathedral.

Yeah, either Ed or Tyrone has initially said to get it you just had to do Hush without picking up the Poloroid or Negative, but that doesn't work either. It's an unintended bug, one of the many unfortunately.

jerkstoresup posted:

Does the greed box just explode first coin after 100 coins no matter what? I was ready to flood that thing rotten with 2 of diamonds, Card mimic and Item Martyr, but it just blows on the first coin:

I don't even know what it does yet.

It blows up at 109. We don't entirely know why, but you cannot get past 109 coins in that thing thus far. Extra weird because the highest unlock for it is 70-ish for Cain starting with the Paperclip

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently picking up the parasite or something else that fires multiple tears and not hitting with every single one of those tears counts as a miss in Onan's Streak. gently caress you, Edmund

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tetracube posted:

Apparently picking up the parasite or something else that fires multiple tears and not hitting with every single one of those tears counts as a miss in Onan's Streak. gently caress you, Edmund

Piercing tears also cause unavoidable damage, even if they did hit an enemy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I mean, I get that there's a cap to the Greed machine, but I think it'd be fun to let you keep going for the sake of big numbers. I mean the point of greed mode is the money, the hell you're gonna tell me the machine is capped after like three runs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onan's Streak is just a fuckin' awful challenge.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

I mean, I get that there's a cap to the Greed machine, but I think it'd be fun to let you keep going for the sake of big numbers. I mean the point of greed mode is the money, the hell you're gonna tell me the machine is capped after like three runs

Again, especially when the cap is arbitrarily 40 coins higher than the last unlock. At that point just give it two digits and cap it at 99, right?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Or one run where you emptied the shop using the IV bag.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Or one run where you emptied the shop using the IV bag.

Nah, the greed machine jams the same as a regular donation machine.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, the greed machine jams the same as a regular donation machine.

It seems to be heavily tied to luck as well, though. If you have the Lucky Pennies unlocked and do an IV Bag break, the machine will just take it most of the time. I'm pretty sure I fed like, 80 coins in to mine in a single run twice, once before the import patch and again when I reset all my poo poo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to put in all the coins until it exploded when I first beat Super Greed, so I was assuming it couldn't jam.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
It can jam. It can jam and make me very sad:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Starting to think the point of Greed Mode is to corrupt you and make you become what you must destroy

EDIT: I can barely even process what's happening above me

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I have to wonder why the greed donation machine doesn't just slurp up ALL your coins. There's nothing else to do with them, and it's just a small bit of unneeded tedium to stand there and slowly toss in a penny at a time. I dunno, little pointless things like that which could be easily remedied kind of annoy me.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bullshit challenges update: Did the guardian, Punching Bag wandered onto some spikes and wouldn't get off until it exploded, killing me instantly (I had 4 hearts left).

Yeah, gently caress this, I'm going to do literally anything else

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah that ending greed machine is just puzzling. I really stand by my theory that the developers are just tapped out creatively with this game and just weren't sure what they even wanted to do.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Ending unlockables seem to be broken in general (not just the new uber boss) -- just beat It Lives for the first time with ??? and no sign of a d6 unlock. It's frustrating because I must've tried like 20 times for the unlock and when I finally succeed nothing happens.

EDIT: I'm dumb, I have to beat Isaac with ??? not It Lives. Urrgh that's even worse.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 1, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The Guardian challenge is so loving bad. It's fine right up until certain bosses and room configurations, at which point you WILL get murdered because your scapegoat cannot dodge at all and just eats damage no matter what you do. Early on you can just kill everything before it has a chance to attack and try and intercept things that are going for it, but on a lot of bosses and rooms that doesn't work at all and you will start taking a ton of damage that nothing you the player do can possibly mitigate. Ordinary shots you can actually kind of block with your body which is something, but there's plenty of things that won't work on.

It would actually be kind of fun if there weren't so many things that just utterly gently caress you over through no fault of your own.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
After playing this for a while, I've decided its Wrath of the Lamb style difficulty ramp-up without Wrath of the Lamb style ridiculous item additions. Also Burning Basement is way more irritating than The Cellar, if only because at least The Cellar didn't have such annoying floor length.

Really, I'd be fine with the expansion with a few nerfs. Like throwing Dangle and Rag Man the hell out of the Basement boss pool. Even as someone who didn't mind Dingle, gently caress Dangle.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Onan's Streak is just a fuckin' awful challenge.

I don't think so. "Don't miss, or else" isn't a terrible challenge. The problem is that Tyrone & crew should have coded in a way to make some items NOT spawnable in certain challenges, because the trial and error you get from "Well, I didn't know piercing tears was going to make it literally impossible to win" isn't fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guillotine counting as a pet is fun and amusing.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Lilith + Knife is really bad, don't do it. It makes your follower have a really tiny and glitchy knife that only goes a very tiny distance away from you.

The only plus side is that it instantly goes as far as it can just by tapping the shoot button, but again, it only goes maybe two isaacs away from you.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I only have one challenge left, "Brains!", and it's just not happening for me. I beat Mom's Heart and thought it would be all over, and then the floor hatch and skylight appeared :negative:

The worst is that previous to that I had Tech .5 but I blew myself up with one of those asinine brains.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Butyraceous posted:

Lilith + Knife is really bad, don't do it. It makes your follower have a really tiny and glitchy knife that only goes a very tiny distance away from you.

The only plus side is that it instantly goes as far as it can just by tapping the shoot button, but again, it only goes maybe two isaacs away from you.

Yeah it's likely they programmed in that tiny knife specifically, which makes it doubly confusing that it sucks in such a bad way.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Watching CobaltStreak's twitch now, and it looks like Deadeye doesn't synergize with piercing shots.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Why does the Haunt phase through bombs now, that's so dumb. Almost as dumb as the speed challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think so. "Don't miss, or else" isn't a terrible challenge. The problem is that Tyrone & crew should have coded in a way to make some items NOT spawnable in certain challenges, because the trial and error you get from "Well, I didn't know piercing tears was going to make it literally impossible to win" isn't fun.

The core idea of the challenge isn't bad. That applies to a lot of the challenges. They're just badly designed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fun little trick with the Chaos Card and Hush I just discovered. If you move south of his first form, and then fling the Chaos Card up, it'll skip that phase, and then move onto the next. Except his 2nd form will pop up right as the Chaos Card flies upwards into him, skipping the entire fight! :laugh: Well that's one less thing I have to do as The Lost. Now I just have to get lucky enough to get the key pieces to fight Mega Satan. :shepicide:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ALRIGHT JUST STAY COMPLETED NOW YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh man, it's $11 if you didn't pre-order? :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Color Printer posted:

Starting to think the point of Greed Mode is to corrupt you and make you become what you must destroy

EDIT: I can barely even process what's happening above me

It's amateurish is what it is!

Note that this appears to be the maximum number of things you can have in a room at once. I'm holding the Razor because I got pushed into it just before I hit a Jera rune, and the D20 I was holding despawned.

The Dead Cat I didn't need because I was already Guppy, that stuck around.

[edit]

This run, I had a combination of items that meant it took nearly 10 seconds for the screen not to be completely covered in poo poo after pressing the fire button once

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And having seen a couple of posts on this:

The Lucky Penny is a different drop to the regular penny. It's not a flat chance for each penny to give you a luck up. (You can see this easily if you've got the Humble Bundle, as only regular pennies are doubled)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I could imagine the weird properties of the Greed Donation Machine would easily be caused by a simple typo in the game's coding.

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah that ending greed machine is just puzzling. I really stand by my theory that the developers are just tapped out creatively with this game and just weren't sure what they even wanted to do.

or this is still an indie game with like a billion different combinations of different variables that would need to be tested individually to make sure nothing makes the game poo poo itself

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Greed mode as Lilith is a lot of fun, and she's definitely ridiculous, but it can tough to see under the rain of bullets. I kept dying because I couldn't see enemy bullets or creep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I started Onsan's Streak and my first two treasure rooms gave me 8 Inch Nails and Proptosis.

I don't think I have to worry about missing my shots. :haw:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Both of the new Lost unlocks are underwhelming given what the game expects you to go through to get them. Sworn Protector just seems to be a reskinned Guardian Angel, unless I'm missing something.

Well it looks like they're not done with Afterbirth yet, and may be planning on adding more. Or we're missing something.

As for the Greed Machine, it might be a hint for slowing the gently caress down.

According to Cobalt Streak, Ultra Greed's HP scales depending on how much you've spent. Though I think it also depends on how many items you have. If you somehow spam the Friend Box with Lilith in the Ultra Greed fight, dude's just gonna get tankier and tankier with more familiars you summon.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I did not know two runs counted as going fast.

Also, Deaths Touch + Ipecac makes it so you can't blow up fires nor can you kill any poop enemy.

"I swear, we had people only doing item combinations :^)"

e: nvm it makes it so you can't hurt anything at all

ee: I was Lilith too, and when I used the box, the second follower didn't shoot anything at all

Sibilant Crisp fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 1, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Guess that means we're gonna be getting some sizable patch content soon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I beat Onan's Streak and didn't unlock anything. Judas just went into the chest at the end of mom's heart and I got the standard ending and then it cut back to the main menu. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm really glad that they released a finished and well tested expansion.