Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just try to keep things Xibanya hasn't got to spoiler tagged or in the manga thread for want of not spoiling her posts. It's obvious that anything past part 4 detail wise shouldn't go in here, after all.

The Game of Thrones threads (internet wide), or GOT TV show only fans in general, are peak spoiler phobic person magnets and it's really frustrating to experience. Particularly when they'll spend all day theorising about things the books can answer clearly but they "don't have the time to read them" but have 4000 posts in a discussion thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The hardcover version of Battle Tendency vol 2 (pre-order) is $9.99 today only, I think, on Barnes & Noble. Seems like a good time to capitalise if it's something you're actively buying.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jojos-bizarre-adventure-hirohiko-araki/1122222743?ean=9781421578835

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Neat, but I already pre-ordered it elsewhere as part of a larger shipment.

Araki's worth an extra $5 in my book though so no worries.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I really like that the spoiler rule for this thread has basically become "please don't ruin anything for Xibanya"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnU7oQRur54

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My Stand 『Bicycle』 can convert any sound into that of bike horns!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Senor Candle posted:

I really like that the spoiler rule for this thread has basically become "please don't ruin anything for Xibanya"

Josuke has lovely hair.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Josuke has lovely hair.

You're going to get your rear end kicked.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

You're going to get your rear end kicked.

But then like, immediately un-kicked.

It will be really confusing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Josuke has lovely hair.
Queuing 100,000 hour probation.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Watch this bluray comparison video. It's pretty fascinating because some of the changes are arguably worse, but the added footage overall shows corners they cut that you might not have noticed the first time out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jt6k9j3qds

Another upload by this user in the same vein here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNbPNziZYE

I'm gonna miss the smashcut straight to Jotaro holding the glass out of nowhere.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Senor Candle posted:

And it is very much appreciated! Working on Echoes Part 4 at the moment, hoping to have that up tonight 'cause you know I ain't gonna be Let's Reading at Oni-Con tomorrow.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sorry I didn't Effort Post, was busy posing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Which one were you?

e: ↓ I ain't clever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 1, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Do you have to ask?

E: ^ for clarity, here is me, Girl Josuke, getting caught mid-pose with a Girl Jotaro

Someone took photos of me with Girlkuyasu but I don't have them! Oh well.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did you have to beat up someone for talking about your hair?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did you have to beat up someone for talking about your hair?

No but various people have been shouting "Hey Josuke, your hair is stupid!" to which I've been shouting back variants on "the gently caress did you say about my hair?!" to high fives and brofists. Also lots of people have come up to congratulate me on getting an anime :3:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It is good that you survived jojo posing, it can be terribly dangerous.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It is good that you survived jojo posing, it can be terribly dangerous.

Is that how Jonathan got so buff? Pose, injure yourself, get stronger from the Zen Kai, repeat every few panels

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shoko Nakagawa busted her rear end on stage doing a part 5 character pose last year. JoJo posing is legitimately dangerous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I did Jonathan's signature pose earlier this week. Afterwards, I had to get my tire replaced with a donut.

Coincidence? Probably.

Always JoJo pose responsibly. :eng101:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Great costumes!! You look good, xibanya. I'm too lazy to pull together a legit JoJo cosplay, I think I'd consider Guido Mista only because I could skip a wig.

E: I'll never even attempt a JoJo pose. I've had to pop my own shoulder back in after dislocating it, seeing most JoJo posing makes me shudder in fear.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
To get my friend excited for the new Jojo, I got him to read "Let's Go Out for Italian!" and only that arc. He's pretty excited.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I tried to get my girlfriend to watch JoJo but I don't think she can get past the really kind of not that amazing part 1.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stalin-Chan posted:

I tried to get my girlfriend to watch JoJo but I don't think she can get past the really kind of not that amazing part 1.

Give her a plot summary and jump straight to Part 2

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

jivjov posted:

We watched like half of it but I can tell she wasn't very impressed by it, I'll try to get her to watch part 2.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Well since I'm home and working on the effort post, thought I'd also share some of the Jojo-riffic pictures I have from the con.

Girl Joseph

Girl Jotaro

Girl Kars

Goatee Kakyoin

Girldust Crusaders (and dude Jotaro)

Welp, that was fun. I'd never been to a con before, so that was interesting. Not at all what I expected in both good and bad ways but going into that is beyond the scope of this thread.

BONUS: Pompadour posing with Space Dandy

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If only there'd been a Sweet JP, Knuckle Bine, or Kuwabara there.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
One of my friends who was at the con with me just texted me saying "Xibanya! You're on TUMBLR!"

Well well...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

jivjov posted:

Yeah honestly with some folks I'd advise trying Part 2 first, Part 1 matters and all but I don't think a lot is ruined if you start with Part 2, get sucked in, then go back. :shrug:

Xibanya I know the Polnareff person was showing up on tumblr earlier but I hadn't yet seen you!!!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yeah honestly with some folks I'd advise trying Part 2 first, Part 1 matters and all but I don't think a lot is ruined if you start with Part 2, get sucked in, then go back. :shrug:

Xibanya I know the Polnareff person was showing up on tumblr earlier but I hadn't yet seen you!!!

I'm a little surprised I showed up at all to be honest. I don't have a tumblr and I don't even know the tumblr of the friend who found me on tumblr so I doubt people would have much incentive to post pictures of me there? I don't know how these things work. I was stunned when people asked to take my picture -- like, not with them with me, just my picture full stop. And that happened all day both days. It was really weird. Kinda cool? (Whenever someone asked me for my tumblr I gave them a Slam Fighter II business card, hehehe.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Remember, if you've missed a previous entry, you can catch up by clicking the ? under my name or by checking my blog here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/

LET'S READ

JJBA Chapter 287
Chapter 22 of Diamond is Unbreakable
Koichi Hirose’s Echoes IV

Translation: Invincible Trio

Koichi's stand hatches. It looks like an even more imperfect form of Cell from Dragonball.

Check out the dynamism of this panel. You really get a sense of motion here. I also noticed something kind of interesting you have to see the entire page to really appreciate.

Part of what makes this panel powerful is that it's not just the speed lines taking you to the focal point. The eggshell pieces curve toward the center as well. And you'll see that where the pieces do have lines that lead off-panel, Araki has given the panel a slanted border, so the large white space keeps your focus in-bounds. The one place where your eye would naturally go (at least while reading from right to left) has that big curve in front of the corner. It's a panel you just can't slide over without lingering a little bit.

Koichi is appropriately sporting a super saiyan aura.

Given the symbolism of hatching from an egg and the idea that Koichi is showing a previously unknown side of himself, it wouldn't surprise me if this was some kind of pokemon stand that evolved or something, particularly since it looks kinda like a bug.

Koichi sends his mom and sister out of the room and prepares to fight Kobayashi with his stand.

Kobayashi is freaking out while Koichi closes in on him. It will be interesting to see how Koichi acts now that he thinks that he can rain down hurt on Kobayashi. Also given the quick nature of Koichi's change in nature, it makes me wonder how much of his everyday behavior stems from a self-image of powerlessness.

Koichi wraps the tail of his stand around Kobayashi's neck, demanding that Kobayashi remove the locks from his family members, but Kobayashi refuses.

In response, Koichi decks him with his stand - but it's too weak to hurt Kobayashi. Koichi continues to attack with his stand but it doesn't harm Kobayashi at all. Haha and Koichi's face goes back to normal.

Is it that the stand is just really weak, or is it that it literally can't inflict harm? The fact that the punch seemed to have some kinetic force behind it seems to lend credence to the latter, but it could have just been that Kobayashi knows how to take a punch and was leaning into it so to speak. But if it is the case that Koichi's punchghost can literally punch things without causing damage, I can see some interesting medical applications of this power....but anyway...

"The hell is up with your stand? It doesn't have speed or power on its side! Even a normal guy like me can dodge it easily!"

"Dumbass!"

"...Listen up, kid...!" Kobayashi sneers, "A stand's power depends on how strong the user's spirit is...Looks like you have poo poo spirit too, Koichi!"

Wait, how did Kobayashi learn about stands and how they work? From his narrative about how he got his stand, it sounded like he had no idea what had happened and had just chosen to roll with it.

Well, never mind, because it looks like he has some kind of sound effect on his face.

("Smash," according to the translator's note.)

Suddenly Kobayashi starts to hear the sound represented by the onomatopoeia marked on his face. It's clear that this is really unsettling. "What the gently caress am I hearing? It's like I'm hearing myself get punched...over and over..."

Note Kobayashi's pose in the top right panel - particularly how unbalanced it is. Remember how we discussed earlier how the balance of a person's body is often used to reflect their mental state? This pose doesn't just give the impression of a physical hit, it shows us how deeply alarming this is for Kobayashi.

Then he notices "smack" on his arm. Must be the sound effects that go with how Koichi's stand physically attacked him earlier. Kobayashi finds himself overwhelmed by a cacophony of sounds he describes as "welling up inside [his] brain."

I again posted the entire page to show the dynamism here. The extreme close up of the mouth is great here, as last time we saw an extreme close up of Kobayashi's mouth, it was when he had the upper hand - now it's when the tables have turned. Extreme close ups of mouths are pretty interesting too as they tend to be disorienting. Gilles Deleuze calls this type of extreme close up "the affection-image." "Because faces, and close-ups, are wholes that are cut off from the space and time around them, they bring forth the fear of the obliteration of the face." http://www.self.gutenberg.org/articles/Cinema_1:_The_Movement_Image#The_affection-image I actually have a pdf of the full text but it's kind of dry, but basically he says for an extreme close-up of a face to not be unsettling, the director has to counterbalance the shot with elements that evoke the desired mood. So their natural state, extreme close-ups create a mood of anxiety. (And in fact we've seen this before with the shot of Aqua Necklace infiltrating Josuke's mom.) Here the close-up is so extreme that the resulting tension is rather high.

Kobayashi takes a swing at Koichi, demanding he take the sounds off, but Koichi's stand punches the air next to his head, causing a "swish" sound effect to attach itself to Kobayashi's back.

This puts Kobayashi into an even deeper state of agony.

Koichi realizes that his stand's power is to make people hear sounds.

To commemorate the occasion, he recites a haiku. "In lonely silence / a single cicada's cry / sinking into stone."

rly makes u think, doesnt it?

Postscript:

This stand fight is getting pretty interesting - I want to point out that neither combatant's stand is capable of inflicting physical damage. I have a feeling that Kobayashi will be able to hit back in an interesting way, so I'm really looking forward to covering the fifth part!

Oh yeah, and another picture has surfaced from the con!

Oh man this is exciting. I wonder how many more will turn up? My anime soul lives on the internet, guys!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

This stand fight is getting pretty interesting - I want to point out that neither combatant's stand is capable of inflicting physical damage.

Which is a pretty interesting followup to Bad Company and The Hand!

Forcing myself to read more slowly is helping me come around a tiny bit on Koichi. There are a couple of things I'd like to say but even commenting on them a little will spoil something for you!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I gotta admit, I don't think the horror of a sound effect constantly going off in my head ever did it for me. I guess Kobayashi hates it, so it functions, but I never really bought it. Maybe that's just me personally.

It's one particular that I think the anime can do better justice on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Imagine the same sound being played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Directly into your ear. Forever.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

So like tinnitus, but more Jojo's.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Andarel posted:

So like tinnitus, but more Jojo's.

Exactly.

It's going to be really interesting in the anime, I think. :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Imagine the same sound being played over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Directly into your ear. Forever.

Thing is, when you've lived in a rural area all your life you get used to certain sounds playing for long periods of time. It becomes background noise. Araki does his best to tell me that it's really bad, but I think I really need to hear it to be sold on it. My imagination only goes so far after I've learned to tune out the loud din of farm equipment running just across the street for hours on end.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Thing is, when you've lived in a rural area all your life you get used to certain sounds playing for long periods of time. It becomes background noise. Araki does his best to tell me that it's really bad, but I think I really need to hear it to be sold on it. My imagination only goes so far after I've learned to tune out the loud din of farm equipment running just across the street for hours on end.

Have you ever had a bad trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

But how do you tune out the sound of yourself getting punched in the face when it is happening directly by your ear, on loop?

You ever say "ow" automatically in response to something that sounds like it should hurt, but doesn't? I can't imagine how bad it would be to be exposed to multiple infinitely repeating sounds that elicit that kind of reaction, with one being pretty much right on your ear.

• Locked thread