Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That link is from an old September poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

nachos posted:

The Obama 46% market is shooting back up for some reason

Learned my lesson/shut up/DONT BET ON POLLS

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vox Nihili posted:

Good because I was really loving confused

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

User Error posted:

Learned my lesson/shut up/DONT BET ON POLLS
THESE POLLS ARE MAKIN ME THIRSTY
:qfg: :jerry: :jiggled:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vox Nihili posted:

lol I'm glad II didn't read it then (sorry guys)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rode out the poll market to a small victory at .86. Those market fluctuations are daily and ridiculous. If anyone ever needs something from Gallup Analytics let me know, but enough traders already have it (and occasionally dump screenshots) that it doesn't really offer much help.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I did go ahead and buy about 100 shares of 46+ yesterday when it was down at 25 and just sold at 76. I'm terrible, but also very happy that the PredictItariat are so ridiculously easily swayed by the minorest poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
These polls are making me salty!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

bought a shitload of carson nos. there is no way that man will win the nomination

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gallup has a 47, does that mean the 46%ers win all of the money?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

nachos posted:

Gallup has a 47, does that mean the 46%ers win all of the money?

Yep.

(Barring RCP fuckery/random new poll being added for no particular reason.)

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Does RCP ever drop a poll on a Saturday? If not, the Sanders 25 is cheap for a payout tomorrow.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tomato Burger posted:

Does RCP ever drop a poll on a Saturday? If not, the Sanders 25 is cheap for a payout tomorrow.

Same with Rubio. But don't bet the entire farm on either

My money is tied up in the debt ceiling, which I'm not sure should still be open and my Obama polling experiment where I bought NO on every tranche. Which by the way was a moderate but not overwhelming success. I invested $139 and my winnings will be $149, which will be reduced to $144 with fees. I might play with it again, since it is basically no risk, and weekly returns of 3 to 5% would add up after awhile.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tomato Burger posted:

Sometimes. RCP is not a stable and reliable source for those hoping for a strict schedule. Sometimes they'll drop polls, sometimes they won't. Eventually it'll work out ok as a tool of poll aggregation for political purposes. Usually it'll gently caress you dry as a tool of gambling determination.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also I'm sure they are getting flooded with weird job applications for the low level temp position that updates their polls.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How likely is Conway to win Kentucky? Given the prices and the fairly quick turn around that seems like a good market to migrate my money from the Debt Ceiling.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gyges posted:

How likely is Conway to win Kentucky? Given the prices and the fairly quick turn around that seems like a good market to migrate my money from the Debt Ceiling.

I invested in Conway to win months ago at like .80; seems like a done deal but off-year Democrat turnout is weird so iunno

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Also I'm sure they are getting flooded with weird job applications for the low level temp position that updates their polls.

Sounds like a scandal like Draft Kings, except more nerdy and a lot more boring.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
If I worked at RCP, I'd totally either have a PredictIt account or have somoene do it for me. It'd be too easy not to.

Also, man, Webb keeps making more and more and more noise. I have zero money in that market for whether or not he runs now, but all he has to do is file with the FEC.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Aliquid posted:

I invested in Conway to win months ago at like .80; seems like a done deal but off-year Democrat turnout is weird so iunno

There's undoubtedly a small risk with Conway. Polls are sometimes wrong (remember when Mongiardo nearly upset Bunning?) and it's KY, and it's off year, but holy crap Bevin is a bad candidate. It'd be VERY surprising if he went from 40-42 in the polls right now, and eked out a win with 46-47% of the vote (assuming the left-leaning independent takes 7-10% away from Conway).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Left-leaning Independent Drew Curtis of Fark.com lmao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
loving Drew Curtis of Fark is running as the independent? Jesus Christ, Kentucky. And I say that as a Floridian. Where our Libertarian Party candidate, Augustus Sol Invictus, is most famous for sacrificing a goat in a religious ritual.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I can't believe Jim Webb Indy Run Yes shares are under $0.50. I bought at $0.60 or so and thought it was a steal. Is there really a strong chance he would do something so obviously dumb and quixotic?

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I sure hope he doesn't run because that would clean me out. DON'T RUN YOU STUPID BASTARD!

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I can't believe Jim Webb Indy Run Yes shares are under $0.50. I bought at $0.60 or so and thought it was a steal. Is there really a strong chance he would do something so obviously dumb and quixotic?

I'm in heavy on Webb myself. I can't see him pulling a Biden and hes been making a bunch of noise on Twitter and obviously that Washington Post opinion piece. I see very little risk here given that all he has to do is file with the FEC.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god help me I think Jeb! YES at .17 may be a good buy

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

It isn't

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Instead, I went on a spread of CNBC debate losers, saying NO to a lot of people but not Trump or Carson. Huck may be overpriced there.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I sure hope he doesn't run because that would clean me out. DON'T RUN YOU STUPID BASTARD!

watwat posted:

I'm in heavy on Webb myself. I can't see him pulling a Biden and hes been making a bunch of noise on Twitter and obviously that Washington Post opinion piece. I see very little risk here given that all he has to do is file with the FEC.

He's making noise to secure funding. I don't see how him running as an independent will suddenly grant him the donors that weren't lining up behind him when he had a D on his name.

Put differently: if he was running why hasn't he filed the papers yet?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Necc0 posted:

He's making noise to secure funding. I don't see how him running as an independent will suddenly grant him the donors that weren't lining up behind him when he had a D on his name.

Pretty much this. Everyone knows and Indy run is doomed so the only reasons I can think to do it are:

a) gently caress you wealthy (Perot)
b) Campaign cum Book Tour
c) Insanely large ego

and none of those seem to fit for Webb.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Aliquid posted:

Instead, I went on a spread of CNBC debate losers, saying NO to a lot of people but not Trump or Carson. Huck may be overpriced there.

I don't think Trump has had a single poll since the debate that has shown any loss, why would Trump be a no?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I don't think Trump has had a single poll since the debate that has shown any loss, why would Trump be a no?

The "worst debate performance" is an absolute value; if Huckabee loses 33% of his support it's only a drop of 1%; if Trump has a relative drop of 6% or so that'll be enough to go lower than Huck.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

It will probably go higher at some point, but it could be months. Rubio No at 50c is probably a better buy, honestly.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Aliquid posted:

The "worst debate performance" is an absolute value; if Huckabee loses 33% of his support it's only a drop of 1%; if Trump has a relative drop of 6% or so that'll be enough to go lower than Huck.

So people are banking on Trump dropping in a future poll? Or is there a dip I haven't seen?

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

So people are banking on Trump dropping in a future poll? Or is there a dip I haven't seen?

They're banking on that 32 dropping.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ah I see, so it's basically he was overvalued going into the debate thanks to an outlier poll.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trump has a 32 poll as his oldest, which is also his highest poll. Meanwhile he has a 22 poll as his second newest, which is his lowest. If the rest of his polls are in the 20s then that should be a relatively significant drop.

Huckabee, Fiorina, and Jeb! are also decent bets. Jeb! having less to do with past polls than his inescapable air of failure while Rubio is on the rise.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Well someone posted a comment that he did. http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/994/201510309003259994/201510309003259994.pdf

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Uh yep, that looks pretty concrete. Why isn't it in the news yet you may ask. You may also ask who is Jim Webb. These are both good questions.

edit: Just checked his twitter. It's happening:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Just lost $3, could have been way worse.

• Locked thread