Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dragonhunter is so so so good. I know I've bitched about a number of other aspects of this expansion like the lack of casual friendliness (which I still think is justified to be ticked about) but Dragonhunter almost makes up for it. It's the most fun I've had since release, and I'm so god drat powerful. Dreggon got me into some sPvP the other night for the first time as this spec, and holy hell I absolutely wrecked everyone. The enemy team just started to sheepishly avoid me, I'm so powerful. I know it'll probably get nerfed but in the meantime oh my god is it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Is there any deal with Berserker or are they just not as flashy or fun as the others?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Dragonhunter feels like the biggest bullshit in PvP. Absolutely hate those assholes :argh:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dragonhunter is so so so good. I know I've bitched about a number of other aspects of this expansion like the lack of casual friendliness (which I still think is justified to be ticked about) but Dragonhunter almost makes up for it. It's the most fun I've had since release, and I'm so god drat powerful. Dreggon got me into some sPvP the other night for the first time as this spec, and holy hell I absolutely wrecked everyone. The enemy team just started to sheepishly avoid me, I'm so powerful. I know it'll probably get nerfed but in the meantime oh my god is it fun.

To the ground!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Crit Reaper is so much fun. :black101:

And minion master reaper, and dhummfire reaper, and just reaper with nothing else really.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Are there any build guides out there for leveling a necro from scratch via PvE? For I am a wee noob babe in woods afraid of PvP.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Shab posted:

Are there any build guides out there for leveling a necro from scratch via PvE? For I am a wee noob babe in woods afraid of PvP.

Leveling builds are basically "play what you think is fun" :shobon: I ran around with a staff and dagger/warhorn, I think, and for my utilities I mostly played around with wells and minions. I thought it was pretty fun and then when you hit 80 you get to be a Reaper :black101: which is the best reward. I really wouldn't worry about what to run while leveling, that's the time to figure out what you like and how it plays, and nobody's gonna care.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

So what's the bullshit dragonhunter build?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

malhavok posted:

All of them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Trilin posted:

Is there any deal with Berserker or are they just not as flashy or fun as the others?

What do you give a class that already has everything?

Shab posted:

Pick a couple weapons. Staff is great for ranged combat, AoE and conditions. Axe is great for mid-range power/vulnerability. Dagger can be mainhand (life steal) or offhand (weakness and condition transfer), and is commonly used with a scepter mainhand for long-range conditions. Warhorn is a straight-up support tool, mainly used for swiftness. Focus is chill, boon strip and vulnerability.

Non-minion utilities: I personally like Blood is Power and Well of Suffering, with either Poison Cloud or Signet of the Locust in the third slot. Lich form or Plague for the elite skill. There's some other great utility skills, like Spectral Walk.

Minion utilities: Idk, I don't like minions. Pick a few, they're probably not terrible. And you can make them explode, I guess.

For traits, Soul Reaping boosts your shroud, which is pretty useful! (And also works great with Reaper!) Death Magic is useful for minions. Corruption works well with any Corruption skills, obviously. Spite is good for conditions and boon stripping, with signets thrown in for extra measure. Blood Magic boosts marks, so if you're using staff, pick that trait line.

Mix-and-match, play around with things, have fun. I personally chose Axe/Dagger and Scepter/Focus for my weapons. The default shroud felt slow and boring and I only used it when I had a ton of enemies around or my health was going low. The Reaper's Shroud is so much better.

Edit: This is coming from someone who powerleveled a Necro (in PvE) for the soul purpose (heh!) of playing Reaper, so I went with what seemed useful and similar to Reaper. I do not claim any deep understanding of Necro beyond shouting at things and hitting them with a large sword.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shab posted:

My recommendation is to stack Power and Precision, use a staff and a dagger/warhorn, and use wells. Blow stuff up and have a grand time.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Trilin posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't really do anything different like the others. Warrior, but more so.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solumin posted:

What do you give a class that already has everything?

All the stuff that went into Revenant Condition Builds, really.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks all, that's helpful. I'm kind of stuck with minion build for a while until I get some more Hero Points but at least I have a direction now.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I'm banning all of you assholes from being minion master reapers dammit. I was into minions before they were "cool". You're all banned from SAB when it comes back too. NO FUN FOR YOU.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Berserker is actually a lot of fun. Warriors just want to have something to whine about like everyone else.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Minions are finally at the lofty tier of 'maybe a niche use here and there' aside from the flesh wurm teleport, up from 'waste of a slot'. Please adjust your builds accordingly.

I guess they let you get a little more use out of the Blood Magic lifesteal traits.

If you're leveling, grab Spite at least, it has traits that activate when hitting lower health targets and you'll be doing that a lot while running around.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I've been encouraged to finally roll a necromancer due to all the minion masters I've seen running around of late. MM was my favorite from the first Guild Wars, and I'm hoping this recent popularity is a sign of viability for dungeons/fractals.

I'm torn about what specialization I should work on next after Chronomancer. I can either move to my warrior or my ranger, but map chat has had a lot of bitching about the druid and bezerker and a lot of praise for the herald, so perhaps the thing to do is level my Revenant?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you like longbow with Warrior/Ranger then Dragonhunter might be for you :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

I was using longbow/traps/marauder, like, it's a really obvious and simple build, it's just insanely good.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Minions dying instantly to cleave wasn't the only reason you didn't ever (want to) see 5-minion necromancers in dungeons.

Apparently you can use them to eat projectiles on Old Tom or something but you'd probably be better off dropping wells on everything instead. Minions in GW1 were good defensive support because of the bodyblocking and how easily you could rebuild a cloud of them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Minion mastery was best left to a bot though, cos of all the tedious jagged edge application poo poo. Better to hang around firing off spiteful spirit on everyone :black101:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What do reapers go for runes/armor stats, I got a long abandoned 80 necromancer but he is setup for conditions.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What do reapers go for runes/armor stats, I got a long abandoned 80 necromancer but he is setup for conditions.

I'm looking at Ferocity and Power for my runes, but first I need to get out of this Exotic gear.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki99YBVKyw

tarir.avi

Where's my golden condor spaceship anet?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Random whisper during an event:

Made me smile. :)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm doing a hybrid power/condi (i.e. viper's) build. Right now I'm in all Carrion gear and it works fine, but i'm going to upgrade my weapons and trinkets to Viper's.

A power/crit build (Lots of power and ferocity, some precision) also works great, considering how easy it is to get >100% crit chance with Reaper. Throw in some Vitality (Valkyrie, or Marauder) and you're pretty much set.

As for runes... I don't know, Grength or Ice if you want to do chill stuff?
If you're good, Runes of the Scholar are still the way to go, especially since the bonus is based on your health. Trigger reaper's shroud while your health is above the threshold and you'll get the damage bonus the entire time.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

You don't even need to drop any of your Berserker gear, just swap out Death Perception for Dhuumfire and take the free burning damage while keeping up crit with Decimate Defenses (which works outside Shroud as well.)

Probably would want Balthazar runes for a condition damage (i.e. Burning spam) build. Possibly Nightmare runes (bought with Twilight Arbor tokens) but you only need 5 of those, use a Coral Orb in the last slot instead of the basically useless 'fear when hit' 6pc bonus.

Chill is less useful in PvE now, enemies with breakbars (which is anything that you'd want to chill up their cooldowns) now ignores the effects of control conditions, where they didn't in the Defiance system.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My highest character is my 50 necromancer, I want to be a reaperrrrrr :cry:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Chill is less useful in PvE now, enemies with breakbars (which is anything that you'd want to chill up their cooldowns) now ignores the effects of control conditions, where they didn't in the Defiance system.

Other way around, actually. "Soft" CC like Chill definitely does affect break bars, but not as much as hard CC does. Try chilling a rolling devil, for example. AFAIK soft CC didn't affect Defiance at all.

Plus the Deathly Chill trait turns Chill into a damaging condition with pretty great scaling. On the other hand, it's competing with Reaper's Onslaught, which is amazingly good too.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Even if it doesn't reduce a break bar by much, it still does reduce it. Keeping an enemy crippled or chilled or immobilized prevents them from regenerating their break bar.

\/\/\/ enemies don't have cooldowns on their skills which is also why things like chill, mesmer power block, or daredevil distracting daggers don't prevent enemies from using skills \/\/\/

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 1, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Solumin posted:

Other way around, actually. "Soft" CC like Chill definitely does affect break bars, but not as much as hard CC does. Try chilling a rolling devil, for example. AFAIK soft CC didn't affect Defiance at all.

They didn't affect Defiance because they actually did what they were supposed to. You could immobilize champions before HoT, now you can't. I'm assuming the cooldown increase effect on Chill is ineffective as well, it does the grey blinking thing. Defiance only stopped control effects like stun, daze, fear, knockbacks.

I haven't seen anything with a serious breakbar where stacking conditions was nearly as effective as everyone dropping a stun on it. Either way it wouldn't be worth dedicating runes to in PvE.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Ah, OK, I see what you mean. I agree with you on the runes -- you get an extra 20% duration bonus to Chill anyway as a Reaper minor trait, so boosting Burning or condition duration in general is a better idea.

4 Runes of the Nightmare + 2 Runes of the Trapper gets you an extra 10% condition duration at the cost of 75 condition damage, compared to 5 Runes of the Nightmare. Or you could throw on a Black Diamond (viper's jewel) for the Expertise, not that it would help much.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 1, 2015

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Arenanet continues to not test anything ever. Remember, we can't have SAB now because it's "too buggy" but we can have HoT if we spend real money! Buy more gems dude.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lonk posted:

Arenanet continues to not test anything ever. Remember, we can't have SAB now because it's "too buggy" but we can have HoT if we spend real money! Buy more gems dude.

You can only hit them from right on top of them.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Finally got the armor pieces I want for my new necromancer, I'd say it turned out alright

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I ran 5-MM necro before it was cool. :colbert:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

jjac posted:

Finally got the armor pieces I want for my new necromancer, I'd say it turned out alright

Looks good! I particularly like those shoulders.

I just got my necromancer to 80:

I've also updated my warrior and mesmer:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If we're posting our awesome necros:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Necro dressup?

Necro dressup!

I've changed most of my characters' looks in preparation for HoT and I think I might have to for my Necro as well. As much as I absolutely love this outfit, the head piece and the shoulders don't play nice: if you look closely you'll see that he has a chunk of belly that's just totally transparent, and a few of the textures on the headpiece itself have mixed up errored textures. A look too strong for our world. :(

• Locked thread