Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
"I had to go rootin' around in your noggin to pull all the bits of lead out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Meridian posted:

Hope dude drops some info on how stealth is.
Can't recall where I read it, but apparently it's more like Skyrim and less like FO3/NV. Never played a stealth character in FO3/NV, so I don't know exactly what that means, but I didn't mind how Skyrim did it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

boneration posted:

Can't recall where I read it, but apparently it's more like Skyrim and less like FO3/NV. Never played a stealth character in FO3/NV, so I don't know exactly what that means, but I didn't mind how Skyrim did it.

They weren't really that different from what I remember. Likely means it's going to be extremely OP as usual. I'm okay with that.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
There's no way stealth isn't gonna be a broken mess. To be frank though doing something like stealth is hard.

I'm still wondering how well the pathing will work when you can build your own settlements. If they can be attacked, I wonder what kind of safeguards (if any) they have against making attacks a non-issue by tripping the AI up on the pathing. There's also still this problem with all Bethesda games that the economy never really worked because money was pointless, this was an especially big problem with skyrim. If you get attacked endlessly that also means endless items. I hope settlements cost upkeep.

I don't know about you folks but there's also no way I'm ever gonna pay money for something like an mod. Having new stuff for free on top of the game is a huge incentive for many to actually buy games as opposed to pirating them, if you're gonna have to pay money to unfuck the interface or get some badly textured weapons in - I doubt that'll ever go over well. Even though the gaming community seems to have a stupendous tolerance for bullshit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Part of the point of setting up specific areas for settlements is to address stuff like pathing. In stuff like Real Time Settler you had to go by the honor system when you established spawn points and such. Here they can have defined routes of attack and destructible walls to break through.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
This guy on NeoGAF actually has a point lol.

(Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4)

7 years gone - 5 years in development. What have the engine programmers and artists been doing all this time, jacking each other off?

If you think graphics aren't that important to your Fallout experience, why not just admit that the game looks last-gen and is visually disappointing to many, but you're still really excited about it? Call a spade a spade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

Went to check, it pretty reserved and reasonable compared to this thread. :v:

It's kind of weird, plenty of people saying it will suck, but also people generally hyped for the game. So I guess this thread really is just worse in assuming things about other places.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's a problem all of SA has to be fair

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Babe Magnet posted:

That's a problem all of SA has to be fair

This is the most distinguished and dignified of forums.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Rockybar posted:

Is there gonna be an iPad pip-boy app? Playing on PC so could definitely see having that to the left of my keyboard as I play. My time 5s is probably too small

Since nobody else in three pages answered your question, the Pip-Boy ap coming out with the game is intended to be used on any iOS/Andrioid phone or tablet, so your iPad should be just fine. (Assuming the ap works, of course.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

To be fair back when fallout 3 was announced NMA had people proclaiming it would be poo poo because you couldn't play it 1 handed

But I guess the nexus showed them what fools they were :smithicide:

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

multi-source interior lighting was modded fairly quickly into skyrim, just have to hope you can change rendering distances in the config files without breaking the game instantly

edit: ^ cheers

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

To be fair back when fallout 3 was announced NMA had people proclaiming it would be poo poo because you couldn't play it 1 handed

But I guess the nexus showed them what fools they were :smithicide:

nice

Rockybar posted:

multi-source interior lighting was modded fairly quickly into skyrim, just have to hope you can change rendering distances in the config files without breaking the game instantly

I'm definitely gunna be installing some graphics mods down the line, I just hope that the game is well optimised enough that that would even be worthwhile with my OC'd 7870 and i5 2500k...

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I am very sad about the lack of a skill system but still very excited for this game.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I think the major issue with older gpus is the lack of vram, I think PS4s can use up to 4gigs themselves?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Apparition posted:

I am very sad about the lack of a skill system but still very excited for this game.

So what gates off poo poo sans skill system?

Just perks? Do we need to take 'lockpicking' 5 times to pick every level of lock? Or have high... perception?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Mordaedil posted:

It's kind of weird, plenty of people saying it will suck, but also people generally hyped for the game. So I guess this thread really is just worse in assuming things about other places.

So far I'm liking what I'm hearing about the shooting :shobon:

Everything else though not so much. Especially the dialogue being seemingly watered down. Kinda expected it, still sucks to hear though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I'm bummed the speech stuff is apparently bad again and the settlement stuff I have no interest in seems to suck the air out of the game, but I still think I'll end up getting it because my will is weak

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

CountFosco posted:

I'm currently playing through New Vegas and I'm quite enjoying it...

That said, I'm an inveterate min/maxer and I find sneaking past deathclaws to get to Freeside to play slots with luck 9 before I've gotten a single level so I can buy an intelligence upgrade to boost my intelligence to ten so I don't miss out on a single skill point fun so ymmv.

I *just* loving uninstalled.

gently caress.

PirateBob posted:

(Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4)

7 years gone - 5 years in development. What have the engine programmers and artists been doing all this time, jacking each other off?

If you think graphics aren't that important to your Fallout experience, why not just admit that the game looks last-gen and is visually disappointing to many, but you're still really excited about it? Call a spade a spade.

Yea, by the time Fallout 4 happens at least ~400 years have passed since WW III. All the background, blanket radiation and high altitude fallout would have dissipated by then. Seeing blue skies isn't unrealistic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea it doesnt look like you can actually use it without it being really annoying.

Uhhh, what could you possibly use it for anyway?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Should have gone back to an isometric locked camera with prerendered 2d backgrounds.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Khanstant posted:

Uhhh, what could you possibly use it for anyway?

Use it to look cool and get girls, duh. :c00lbutt:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Can I really be a space marine? I think I saw a BoS power armor with a jump pack.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Speech stuff sucks as in there aren't many speech checks or the dialogue is bad? I tend to not care about dialogue in most cases anyway, I'm playing this to murder folks and collect everything, not to hear npcs feelings.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

PirateBob posted:

(Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4)

Because not only do I not think the graphics are that big of a deal, I also don't give a poo poo about conceding a point in an argument only turbospergs care about.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Asproigerosis posted:

Should have gone back to an isometric locked camera with prerendered 2d backgrounds.

I have just the game for you: http://store.steampowered.com/app/279640/

The real Fallout 4, released weeks before the pretender to the throne.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The speech being crap was to be expected the moment they revealed they were doing the dialogue wheel. Though now it's got me thinking back to NV, and most of the dialogue options are white noise exposition about how the person you're talking to feels about the dozen different factions/settlements.

Very excited for colour in a fallout game without it being some garish nexus mod that jacks up the saturation 200%.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Capn Beeb posted:

So far I'm liking what I'm hearing about the shooting :shobon:

Everything else though not so much. Especially the dialogue being seemingly watered down. Kinda expected it, still sucks to hear though.

Honestly, did you play F3 or Skyrim? I fully expected the dialogue to be mostly wooden exposition with the occasional tonally disjointed player quips thrown in, except voiced this time.

I'm actually glad to hear the settlements are such a thing, though. I spent a retarded amount of time just deciding wear to place knick-knacks in both my Tenpenny suite and Novac hotel room (and, oddly, the crappy Followers safehouse that I grew attached to for whatever reason), so basing a whole system around my particular brand of gamer autism is a real treat.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Protons posted:

I *just* loving uninstalled.

gently caress.

Yea, by the time Fallout 4 happens at least ~400 years have passed since WW III. All the background, blanket radiation and high altitude fallout would have dissipated by then. Seeing blue skies isn't unrealistic.

Pretty sure that wasn't the point he was trying to make.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure that wasn't the point he was trying to make.

But it'd be funny to see if they actually go the whole nature's returning route only to see another bunch crop up and cry WHERE'S ALL THE NUCLEAR DEVASTATION AND RADIATION?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

(Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4)

Is this a fair comparison? I really wish we'd get some high settings screens from a PC.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Reason posted:

Is this a fair comparison? I really wish we'd get some high settings screens from a PC.

There is absolutely zero chance of getting PC screen for a non-Bethesda source before release. We'll have to make do with lovely, compressed jpgs from Spaniards.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mediocre graphics, terrible writing and quest design, and good exploration and gunplay are what I would've written on a card and sealed in an envelope when this announced, so none of the leaks are really surprising so far. It's good news that a lot of the shots were in the flat pipboy light (also, why can't they get that right? there are indie games that manage believable mobile lightsources) and it isn't going to be unplayably ugly, just normal Bethesda ugly.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
that spanish dude is finally talking about the loving perks.

its reddit but gently caress it, it's all we got right now. luck 5 confirmed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3r3rgv/spoilers_new_info_about_the_game_live_update/

theres a loving perk to turn you into a ghoul but you dont become a ghoul on the outside, just the inside. :|

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Wolfsheim posted:

Honestly, did you play F3 or Skyrim? I fully expected the dialogue to be mostly wooden exposition with the occasional tonally disjointed player quips thrown in, except voiced this time.

Yep. I knew what to expect when I saw the lead writer for Fallout 4 was the lead writer on Fallout 3 and Skyrim. The change to how dialogue is handled now only seems to be making it worse.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3r3rgv/spoilers_new_info_about_the_game_live_update/

theres a loving perk to turn you into a ghoul but you dont become a ghoul on the outside, just the inside. :|

What?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Vikar Jerome posted:

5/5 GOTY.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

radiation weapons??

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

you get healed by radiation but you still look human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

a ghoul perk for endurance 9 "Ghoul: "Of course, you are still human...Externally! Now radiation regenerates health." kinda weird they dont let you turn your face into a ghoul but i suspect that will get modded sooner or later (unless it's due to PLOT REASONS)

• Locked thread