Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I might catch some flak for this, but I could not stand Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It feels like it desperately needs an editor to clean up all the twee prose tics and it also just needs to get to the loving point. There's only so much "rich people attend parties with other rich people who they do not like but are icily polite to" I can take before I give up.

It's trying to deliberately invoke the prose of the time, when authors were paid by the word and consequently padded like all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A bunch of my awful friends gushed endlessly about it, I borrowed a copy and powered through about 300 pages and they had still not introduced the second protagonist.

The TV show is a bit better, if only because they're restricted by a small number of episodes. Still a bit overlong.

I love this book but I have to admit everything up to when Mr. Strange is introduced is rough. Especially because Mr. Norrell is pretty awful as a person and it's a bit much when the book focuses on him for so long.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ArchangeI posted:

It's trying to deliberately invoke the prose of the time, when authors were paid by the word and consequently padded like all hell.

Yeah, I tried to read it a few years ago, and I got what the auther was going for, but I dont like that style of writing, so a good emulation of that style of writing was insufferable to me. Made it about a third of the way through the book and returned it to the person who lent it to me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pastry of the Year posted:

I chewed through so goddamn many of those stupid books, and worse, I was an active and eager evangelist for them. I lent out Dragons of Autumn Twilight so many times that its covers fell off. The shameful things are still at my mother's house and she never misses an opportunity to ask me if I want them back :smaug:
A few years back I finally got it together and took all those boxes of D&D novels and left them by the dumpster. My window was next to the trash and the next day I had the :unsmith: entertainment of listening to the bums who wandered up and down to get bottles, ecstatic about finding a bunch of stuff to read. They took them all.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I might catch some flak for this, but I could not stand Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It feels like it desperately needs an editor to clean up all the twee prose tics and it also just needs to get to the loving point. There's only so much "rich people attend parties with other rich people who they do not like but are icily polite to" I can take before I give up.

I don't think it's a terrible book but it could have been a few hundred pages shorter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I forget, has anyone mentioned the Left Behind books yet? Because those are terrible as gently caress.

Say what you will about Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God, but at least it wasn't interminably loving boring.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Fred Clark has built a minor Internet feifdom out of explaining, in minute detail, how terrible the Left Behind books are on every conceivable level.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How about series where the author suddenly drops everything that was interesting in favour of inane navel-gazing? Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber is a first-person account of a prince who has to contend with his many backstabbing siblings, and they all have the power to step into alternate universes as they please. What's good about the series is that it starts off sort-of random, but after a while the author links together seemingly unrelated events across books to create big world-changing twists. The plot builds an engaging cast and continuity for the first four book which it then ditches in the fifth.

The Courts of Chaos is only 120 pages and about 20 of those pages have to do with the plot. The prince is all alone this time and he has no interplay with his siblings (The cast up till now is ignored). He just has the one goal but he keeps getting sidetracked, like getting his horse stolen by Leprechauns, or having a picnic under the tree Yggdrasil, or meeting a talking raven. The author pads this poo poo out with page-long stream-of-conciousness bullshit to extend his word-count. The actual ending is good but there's no build-up to it, it just happens spontaneously. It's like when Harry Potter went camping and wiped his arse with leaves for 400 pages.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Nov 1, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How about series where the author suddenly drops everything that was interesting in favour of inane navel-gazing? Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber is a first-person account of a prince who has to contend with his many backstabbing siblings, and they all have the power to step into alternate universes as they please. What's good about the series is that it starts off sort-of random, but after a while the author links together seemingly unrelated events across books to create big world-changing twists. The plot builds an engaging cast and continuity for the first four book which it then ditches in the fifth.

The Courts of Chaos is only 120 pages and about 20 of those pages have to do with the plot. The prince is all alone this time and he has no interplay with his siblings (The cast up till now is ignored). He just has the one goal but he keeps getting sidetracked, like getting his horse stolen by Leprechauns, or having a picnic under the tree Yggdrasil, or meeting a talking raven. The author pads this poo poo out with page-long stream-of-conciousness bullshit to extend his word-count. The actual ending is good but there's no build-up to it, it just happens spontaneously. It's like when Harry Potter went camping and wiped his arse with leaves for 400 pages.

The last book in the series felt like he realized it was going to the last book in the series with like 20 pages to go. He just starts rapidly resolving plot threads at a rate of 1 per page but still misses a ton of them. I thought the books about the original character were much better than the ones about his son in general.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Because of how the first series ended I never bothered with the sequel series. The Courts of Chaos reminds me of Damnation Alley by the same author, just a solipsism-ish slog with no real plot. The only good thing was the New Vegas DLC it inspired: Lonesome Road.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ArchangeI posted:

I love Jane Austen and Patrick O'Brian but Strange & Norrel was loving poo poo and this is just an excuse. It's possible to mimic that style without being a lead brick of lovely prose.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I love Strange and Norrell as it's the book that got me back to reading, but it's fair to say the 200 page prologue is a bit of a turn-off.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InediblePenguin posted:

I love Jane Austen and Patrick O'Brian but Strange & Norrel was loving poo poo and this is just an excuse. It's possible to mimic that style without being a lead brick of lovely prose.

Amazing, people with absolutely No Taste.

But seriously, I can see why the length can be a turn-off. What annoyed me was the anti-climactic last 100 pages.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But seriously, I can see why the length can be a turn-off. What annoyed me was the anti-climactic last 100 pages.

What? If it weren't for the last 100 pages I might have written it off. I absolutely love the culmination of characters and events.

My wife and I watched the series, then she read the book. I think the book is more accessible after seeing the series.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

I don't know how to make that ironicat thing.

But anyway, this is a really lovely way to conduct yourself in these sort of threads. It's not conversation or even arguing, just trying to score some imaginary points.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Fred Clark has built a minor Internet feifdom out of explaining, in minute detail, how terrible the Left Behind books are on every conceivable level.

I have a similar reaction to it to Twilight. Like, I get WHY something LIKE this might be popular, but surely there is a less bland nothing version?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have a similar reaction to it to Twilight. Like, I get WHY something LIKE this might be popular, but surely there is a less bland nothing version?

If anything Twilight got a whole lot of authors writing better versions (with less marketing); Twilight is also responsible for 50 Shades Abused GF/Wife Sim so I guess it's a zero sum outcome.

Sometimes I wish Meyer were slightly more vindictive and sue ELJ outright.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

IMO no fantasy novel in the world is as marvellous, nuanced, characterful and imaginative as Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was hyped as being, and at times -- many, many times -- the narrative slows to a stalactite pace. It's a decent and inventive book that would have been hugely better with some crisp editing (and I don't mean the footnotes).

For something that really crashed badly, but was even more ambitious, I nominate Vellum by Hal Duncan, a 2005 fantasy novel with an intended scope that makes JS&MR look like a portrait miniature. It looms up in my mind because it makes most of the errors I fear I'd make myself: it's unfathomably complicated, out-there pretentious, references far too many mythologies, and nearly all the main characters have at least three alter egos, not a few of them Mesopotamian deities.

However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't saddle anyone with a name like Phreedom Messenger or Don Coyote without very good reason. Hal Duncan doesn't have a good reason, and also, the notion of a simple linear narrative is his spittoon. I thought that reading Michael Moorcock meant I could follow any narrative weave, but for the love of me, I couldn't make head or tail of Vellum. It has a sequel, Ink, which I haven't read and never intend to. A sample of Vellum can be found here:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/vellum.htm

(also, anyone who has read Vellum and/or Ink: what is Metatron, really, apart from it's borrowed Jewish name, and what exactly is Cant? Do we ever find out?)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lord funk posted:

What? If it weren't for the last 100 pages I might have written it off. I absolutely love the culmination of characters and events.

My wife and I watched the series, then she read the book. I think the book is more accessible after seeing the series.

Don't mistake, it was still good, just not satisfying enough.

Jerome Agricola posted:

I don't know how to make that ironicat thing.

But anyway, this is a really lovely way to conduct yourself in these sort of threads. It's not conversation or even arguing, just trying to score some imaginary points.

It was a joke, dude. Which is why it's immediately followed by "But seriously..."

But seriously, I managed it in like middle school, you scrubs better up your game.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Nov 2, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

theres plenty of books I read in middle school that I don't really consider worth my time now, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Literally the only thing I remember from that Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is that I liked the way the writer would repeatedly describe colors with things that have no color. "Her gown was the color of rainwater", " his eyes were the color of spiderwebs", and the like. I vaguely remember liking the book alright, but can't recall a thing about the plot or characters or anything.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The footnotes prevented me from enjoying Dr Strange and Mr Norrell. Footnotes in fiction and creative nonfiction piss me right the gently caress off. It's like that one person you know who's always dropping asides only humorous to him or her.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

queserasera posted:

The footnotes prevented me from enjoying Dr Strange and Mr Norrell. Footnotes in fiction and creative nonfiction piss me right the gently caress off. It's like that one person you know who's always dropping asides only humorous to him or her.

The only book I ever read that used them effectively was Love in a Dead Language by Lee Siegel, but he's really, really not for everyone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What comes to mind is that really disturbing scene where Strange, under Wellington, reanimates a company of dead French soldiers. They're all naked, groaning, half-decayed and some of them have been castrated. Wellington chooses to burn them to ashes. All of this is described in same stiff upper-lip tone the author uses to talk about breakfast.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Nov 2, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

queserasera posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat who doesn't like Bartimaeus or Discworld or Infinite Jest or I could go on

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Look at this rear end in a top hat who doesn't like Bartimaeus or Discworld or Infinite Jest or I could go on

I like Discworld, but the footnotes are pretty annoying. In most cases they could just go in the main text or in brackets and be far less disruptive. I feel like a lot of them are just there because they became a sort of trademark style, so he felt he needed to include them.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy is a good lesson in how to not do footnotes.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Who has two thumbs and hates trite textual storytelling? This guy!

(Now I'm trying to think of a book that was published maybe 2009-2010 where the authors came up with the "innovative" idea to include YouTube links to filmed scenes during the chapter breaks. They copyrighted this under a twee portmanteau, and it's not cinenovel, but I can't remember what it is. Argh.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

It can be done well, but the footnotes in Strange & Norell span over entire pages, forcing you to break out of the narrative plot you're following to go into another plot, read it until you're done with it, then backtrack to another plot that has very little to do with the one you just left. It makes the world feel a lot more alive and expansive, but it also makes the book an absolute chore to read.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Crow Jane posted:

The only book I ever read that used them effectively was Love in a Dead Language by Lee Siegel, but he's really, really not for everyone.

It's used in the entertaining but not great by any means 40k Ciaphas Cain series, but it at least makes sense there, since it is supposed to be the posthumously published series of diaries of a historical figure, and the footnotes are used by the in universe editor to explain the in universe historical context of what's going on.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

i found them really entertaining/effective in The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carnival of Shrews posted:

IMO no fantasy novel in the world is as marvellous, nuanced, characterful and imaginative as Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was hyped as being, and at times -- many, many times -- the narrative slows to a stalactite pace. It's a decent and inventive book that would have been hugely better with some crisp editing (and I don't mean the footnotes).

For something that really crashed badly, but was even more ambitious, I nominate Vellum by Hal Duncan, a 2005 fantasy novel with an intended scope that makes JS&MR look like a portrait miniature. It looms up in my mind because it makes most of the errors I fear I'd make myself: it's unfathomably complicated, out-there pretentious, references far too many mythologies, and nearly all the main characters have at least three alter egos, not a few of them Mesopotamian deities.

However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't saddle anyone with a name like Phreedom Messenger or Don Coyote without very good reason. Hal Duncan doesn't have a good reason, and also, the notion of a simple linear narrative is his spittoon. I thought that reading Michael Moorcock meant I could follow any narrative weave, but for the love of me, I couldn't make head or tail of Vellum. It has a sequel, Ink, which I haven't read and never intend to. A sample of Vellum can be found here:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/vellum.htm

(also, anyone who has read Vellum and/or Ink: what is Metatron, really, apart from it's borrowed Jewish name, and what exactly is Cant? Do we ever find out?)

I have to read these books. It sounds like Gaimans worst excesses, by way of Illuminatus! and written by a man who comma splices every third sentence.

The only line in that sample that didn't have me eye rolling was "It's August 4th, 2017. Sort of."

From a review of Ink: "Here the conflict is reproduced in passages from a host of different books, including a cowboy novel by Joe Campbell, a thriller by R. Graves and of course, inevitably and recursively, Ink by Hal Duncan."

gently caress this guy so much. I love him.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Carnival of Shrews posted:

My bad book pick is Wraeththu: The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit by Storm Constantine, with the proviso that she wrote this book very young and has apparently since revised it.

Imagine a post-apocalyptic society of hermaphrodite pseudo-vampires physically based on David Bowie at the height of his long-haired glam-era magnificence (it won't startle anyone that I was in my teens when I decided to read this). Like vampires, the Wraeththu we meet at the start of the book have to reproduce parasitically, by 'turning' humans. Unlike vampires, only young men can be turned. Women and older men are killed by the attempt, as presumably are any young men who are plump or just plain ugly. Once transformed, a 'har' (that's a Wraeththu person) has a life expectancy of about 150 years, does not visibly age, is faster, stronger, and more emotionally stable than a human, and has a greater resistance to disease and poison. There is literally no known downside to joining the Wraeththu, apart from the shampoo bills.

Are they also magical? You bet.

Is their strongest magic powered by sex? What are the odds?

Is is oddly...um...botanical-sounding sex that would have got Charles Darwin's eccentric grandad Erasmus all hot and bothered, involving organs that are somewhere between a show orchid and a sea anemone, and like those things, come in a variety of unusual colours?

I had a pretty high tolerance for not-great books as a teenager, but that did it for me. I simply could not manage to get started on the next book (there are now two trilogies). There is still a smallish but keen fandom for the Wraeththu books online, and a GIS will reveal strange and mildly alarming things.

I know this post is from way, way back, but this is funny to me because I live on the same street as Storm and have met her via a mutual friend a few times. She's a really cool lady who has a very interesting and skeptical view on paranormal matters. I've not read any of her books, and probably won't ever.

Also Nthing those Wilbur Smith books as loving weird. My mum bought me The Quest, the one with the penis growing back wizard shaman guy (we enjoyed some of his more normal books) and I have to say it was one of the funniest but most odd books I've ever read. He refers to his penis as a 'man-root' which still cracks me up to this day.

There are some funny reviews on Amazon for it-

quote:

A man between 100 and 200 years old, who witnesses the passing of information between a dying man and a woman through the dying mans semen??? A man who had his penis and testicles cut off a century or more before suddenly having a new one???? I have had a more satisfying read after buying 'The Big Issue' on Waterloo Station.

It is ridiculous, unintentionally funny, poorly written and for the first time ever, it makes me resent paying money for a book, I almost feel like I have been mugged.

quote:

It starts off with the now 156 year old Taita, the eunuch, having his 3rd eye opened allowing him to see another person's aura, upon his return to Egypt, he finds that the nile has dried up, and the land plagued by disease and pestilence.............oh and giant man eating toads!

On his quest to find the cause of this catastrophe he encounters the reincarnation of his long dead queen, has his manhood restored does battle with the cause of Egypt's problems, an evil witch who turns out to be some form of giant slug.................Oh he also finds the fountain of eternal youth and becomes 30 again!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

i found them really entertaining/effective in The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

That was just a really great book in general. Tbh, I forgot it had footnotes till you mentioned it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

I forget, has anyone mentioned the Left Behind books yet? Because those are terrible as gently caress.

Say what you will about Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God, but at least it wasn't interminably loving boring.

If you're talking about the Jonathan Edwards sermon, that contains one of the most badass sentences ever written about God:

quote:

What are we, that we should think to stand before him, at whose rebuke the earth trembles, and before whom the rocks are thrown down?

Any book about the End Times should just reprint old Puritan sermons and leave it at that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you think the Wraeththu books are bad, the RPG will ruin you.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
this is a pretty bad book:

I should read this to my kid, right?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

this is a pretty bad book:

I should read this to my kid, right?
Badrear end book. It's different. It will make your kid awesome. He'll make homemade weapons and fight monsters and poo poo.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I love Strange and Norrell as it's the book that got me back to reading, but it's fair to say the 200 page prologue is a bit of a turn-off.

Okay, so if I just read the part between those 300 pages, I should be good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Okay, so if I just read the part between those 300 pages, I should be good, right?

Eh, that'd be a half-measure. Watch the TV adaptation if you want the whole story.

Badrear end book. It's different. It will make your kid awesome. He'll make homemade weapons and fight monsters and poo poo.

Where the gently caress does an 8 year-old get a dove for a magic trick?