Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hello friends, fellow goon Somberbrero and I have started doing a podcast where we analyze and review print-and-play games. In our first two episodes, we look at a couple of spooky games that you could probably play for Halloween!!!!!

http://printnplaycast.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone going to BGG.CON? I know Lorini and Ledhed usually go. Really looking forward to it this year - have a lot to catch up on and rulebooks to read beforehand!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

A picture of someone holding a giant box captioned "Kingdom Death Monster" just popped up on my Facebook feed today.

Thankfully, it's no one I know personally. I tangentially know a lot of board gamers, so the Venn diagram has a lot of room, but I'm still sad that I know anyone who knows anyone who's excited about that game.

I'm following a forum game of it and quite enjoying it.

Dark Souls themed Monster Hunter with a village construction element pushes all the right buttons for me.

Mechanically it seems adequate. The dicks and tits stuff isn't quite as bad as the kickstarter would have you believe either (it is there though and it manages to be really irritating coy about it at times too)

If there was a version that was just the cardboard for a sensible price I'd probably pick it up, but I don't want minis and I'm certainly not paying the cthulhu wars level prices

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

There are two distinct extra action tiles in blue, the one that gives you a silver action token and the one that gives you a gold action token.

Playing Kemet with AP people is the worst. One day I'll play a game that ends quicker than two and a half hours.

Don't let him play Kemet with Ta-Seti. Not only is it easier for him to get seven action tokens, he could wind up with four things to do with the Gold token.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The Codenames timer should be a permanent fixture on your gaming table, with the Codenames rule (it gets turned by anyone who feels the turn is taking too long, in principle mainly by the person who's turn it is).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm starting to think we need to institute a general '1 minute left this turn' timer in all our games.

The trouble is, our big AP guy doesn't get any LESS AP-ish when there's a deadline...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm following a forum game of it and quite enjoying it.

Dark Souls themed Monster Hunter with a village construction element pushes all the right buttons for me.

Mechanically it seems adequate. The dicks and tits stuff isn't quite as bad as the kickstarter would have you believe either (it is there and it manages to be really irritating coy about it at times too)

If there was a version that was just the cardboard for a sensible price I'd probably pick it up, but I don't want minis and I'm certainly not paying the cthulhu wars level prices

My gaming group picked it up and I was very sceptical. I am yet to try it but they have played it three times now and all seemed to enjoy it. Granted one of them loves Arkham though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone going to BGG.CON? I know Lorini and Ledhed usually go. Really looking forward to it this year - have a lot to catch up on and rulebooks to read beforehand!

Nope not going this year. Probably next year. Have fun!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Supreme Court posted:

The Codenames timer should be a permanent fixture on your gaming table, with the Codenames rule (it gets turned by anyone who feels the turn is taking too long, in principle mainly by the person who's turn it is).

Literally only seen it used against the person using it, and well used at that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Burano. Not that good. Too much going on that doesn't quite fit together. It's very unclear how you make points using lace making. If you want a copy anyway and right now, I'm selling mine on BGG for $99.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Run Kill Die and loved it. Placing zombies on your board and moving them toward you feels very visceral. I lost on the tiebreaker after my Town Drunk migrated to the player with a Cool Guy, but I kept my board empty or nearly empty all game with some good rolls. I'd like to play again as another character since all the abilities seem cool.

Played the Earth Overrun variant of Last Night on Earth as the Martians. Martians kick the hell out of zombies, so we won with zombies at 2 of 18 points and players at 5 out of 18 points. The zombies were compelled to run at our packs and the Zard Beast(who got 6 kills by himself.) If you ever play this variant, give zombies Grave Weapons or some other balance because Martians chew them up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cause I want to talk about Pandemic Legacy but not make this thread look like a CIA file, I've started a Pandemic Legacy thread

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of which, a few games of Pandemic iOS has taught me that I shouldn't be in charge of anything. "Asia can hold out for a couple of turns while we cure the disease and send a Medic there" has been the cause of 80% of my losses.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Next year for me. Gotta bankroll a honeymoon this year.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I played T.I.M.E. Stories last night. The SU&SD review actually nails this pretty well: the game sucks. On the good side of things, the production quality is really nice, the art looks good, and it is interesting to poke around new areas for clues, but everything else is just a mess.

The game's narrative is really bad. You have no idea what you're trying to do, why, or what the stakes are. The game sets up a mystery and then you don't actually solve it; you go down into the basement and punch somebody in the face and then the game goes "good job team". From the word go there are tons of people to talk to and things to mess around with; some of these are vital clues necessary to finish the game and others are completely pointless red herrings and there's no real way to discern which is which. Worse still, the game frequently gives you tasks and then, after completing them, they wind up being complete wastes of time or even actively detrimental. The game even has a "haha, this is a dead end" card and there are two different ways you can run into it. The characters you choose between are all psychiatric patients with their own psychological quirks, but none of them ever really mattered in play.

Things might be even worse mechanically. Sorting through all the cards to change locations is incredibly inelegant and time consuming. It only took us about 3 hours to play through the game, and you can't replay it in any capacity. You throw tons of dice and they're almost entirely pointless. The amount of time it takes to move from location to location is determined by a movement die, it has the faces: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3. Completing tasks involves chucking a bunch of dice, if you fail the penalty is you have to spend another turn rolling more dice. Failing challenges against monsters can knock you out, which just means you can't do anything for 7 turns. There were a couple of cases where the backs of the cards held a mini-game to complete, but these required their own set of rules to learn to learn and weren't very compelling. One these mini-games allowed you to spend 5 turns upfront to bypass the puzzle and completing it in fewer turns than that would have been really difficult. At the end of the game you get a score, so you can be 1st rank agents or 2nd rank agents or whatever. At less than 10 points you don't get to be agents anymore. We got -2 points. And that was with a liberal amount of cheating.

The game had one main puzzle that we were actually interested in solving. The solution ended up just being "have you been everywhere in the game and remember all the clues you found?". Even worse - spoilered in case people want to play the game: you can solve this puzzle wrong. If you didn't pick up on a small detail from the beginning of the game you get what seems like a legitimate lead that ends up being a long walk to the dead-end card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What a poo poo storm. I watched a group play for 10 minutes last week and couldn't believe how bad it looked, then I saw what the expansion case was actually about and laughed and walked away.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I watched (unusual for me, videos aren't really my thing) Rahdo go through the game and decided to pick it up based on what I learned.

I'm not even sure I'd call it a Board Game really, in my opinion. And I definitely had to consider if I could get the right crowd together or not. I haven't seen anything quite like it - this kind of experimental stuff coming out is frankly kind of exciting even when it flops.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Played some Codenames using CAH. It worked okay-ish, but it wasn't anything special. It just presented more opportunities to crack wise when people would inadvertently say things with regards to the clues. But it was definitely better than regular CAH.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cocks Cable posted:

Played some Codenames using CAH. It worked okay-ish, but it wasn't anything special. It just presented more opportunities to crack wise when people would inadvertently say things with regards to the clues. But it was definitely better than regular CAH.

But was it better than regular Codenames?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

But was it better than regular Codenames?

Nope. It's slightly worse because it's trading Codename's simple but often ambiguous words for a mix of specific memes and complex sentences.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I ended up purchasing Portal and played it a few times last night. General consensus was extremely positive. It'll be the 4 player filler game that I bring to game nights for the forseeable future. Now, I say filler game, but the game can get really thinky and deep. Our first couple of games were half an hour and ten minutes. Our third took almost an hour; by this time, we had started setting up ridiculous Rube Goldberg designs for victory.

I do have a couple gripes. While the components are great, the board itself is an interlocking modular board that doesn't really interlock well at all. Considering the board is constantly changing, it's a small hassle. The price point was also iffy (45 USD) given how few (even if they are high quality) pieces there are to the game. Definitely wait for CoolStuff to get it in stock than paying MSRP.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I ended up purchasing Portal and played it a few times last night. General consensus was extremely positive. It'll be the 4 player filler game that I bring to game nights for the forseeable future. Now, I say filler game, but the game can get really thinky and deep. Our first couple of games were half an hour and ten minutes. Our third took almost an hour; by this time, we had started setting up ridiculous Rube Goldberg designs for victory.

I do have a couple gripes. While the components are great, the board itself is an interlocking modular board that doesn't really interlock well at all. Considering the board is constantly changing, it's a small hassle. The price point was also iffy (45 USD) given how few (even if they are high quality) pieces there are to the game. Definitely wait for CoolStuff to get it in stock than paying MSRP.

How would it theoretically play with 2?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I kept hoping that the SU&SD review would pivot midway through to Tragedy Looper, like some of their older, better videos would have. Sadly it didn't, and also apparently Quinns thinks that TL is bad, which is especially hilarious considering some of the shitpiles they've recommended over the past year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Big McHuge posted:

apparently Quinns thinks that TL is bad

Wait, WHAT?!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bunch of gaming in yesterday. Friend had all of Secrets of the Lost Tomb which is basically a more complex, streamlined, better Betrayal and it was kinda interesting but too fiddly and the game timer doesn't seem to work right. We could have won but the game kicked into player elimination mode near the end and when two people died that was game over. It's alright - I might play it again, but probably not too likely.

Couple games of Roll for the Galaxy with the expansion. The expansion is good, and if you like RollftG you should get it. More start tiles, better starting die, slightly better-balanced strategies and a bunch of goals for kicks. Is a good game, but we all knew that already.

Also a quick round of Mysterium at 6p. I had a lot of trouble giving clues to one player in particular, husband-and-wife pair who were working together and kept almost getting what I was going for and then flipping to something else at the last minute. Also a lot of nautical locations made a bunch of my cards difficult and that made me sad. Three players made it out, but we lost on Day 5 on Locations (3 finished, 2 People, 1 Places, 0 Things).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Big McHuge posted:

I kept hoping that the SU&SD review would pivot midway through to Tragedy Looper, like some of their older, better videos would have. Sadly it didn't, and also apparently Quinns thinks that TL is bad, which is especially hilarious considering some of the shitpiles they've recommended over the past year.

It isn't Sexy enough and you can't play it with Normal People at the Pub.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also it's hard to quarterback when you're not allowed to talk to your teammates during the round.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Welp, I clearly suck since I failed to teach Skulls. How do you all teach board games to non-gamers?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

golden bubble posted:

Welp, I clearly suck since I failed to teach Skulls. How do you all teach board games to non-gamers?

Demo-rounding it is easier, I find. Explain the finer details along the way. The first game is always a practice game, for the competitive people.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

golden bubble posted:

1. read the rules thoroughly.
2. set up the board
3. explain, in order:
a. the theme, and basically what you'll be doing. ("gather resources, build an army, conquer territories")
b. the game end conditions (# rounds, 1st player does X, scores Y, etc)
c. how a game round works, phase wise. (setup/maintenance, player actions, turns, etc)
d. the number of actions each player can select from
e. each action in depth
4. explain any obvious pitfalls that new players might run into.
5. explain any blindingly obvious strategies that new players should take note of.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played Belle of the Ball and Between Two Cities.

Belle was...meh. Felt like just the race selection mechanic from small world with...I dunno, the light fillery feeling I get from Love Letter. Along with the theme. Was decidedly unimpressed.

Between Two Cities basically killed 7 wonders for me, it scratched the same itch while adding a little bit of negotiation and ending in a very short amount of time. Not that I'm going to want to play it all the time, just given a choice between it and 7 wonders, I will never choose 7 wonders, I expect.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

PRADA SLUT posted:

How would it theoretically play with 2?

It'd become a lot more complicated, I'd say. Each row needs at least three rooms, and the lab itself can't be separated into two sets of rooms. You can manipulate which rooms your opponent can activate, and where they can recycle. I had to think a couple steps ahead in a four player game (mostly because you couldn't think too far ahead because three rooms are changing before the turn comes back to you), but with just two, you'd probably have to think way more than 'a couple steps ahead' with a similarly skilled opponent.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Welp, all this talk about how lovely T.I.M.E. Stories is is disappointing, given that I ordered it and it shipped to me like a day before the SUSD review came out. How in the hell does it have such a high rating on BGG?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Caedar posted:

Welp, all this talk about how lovely T.I.M.E. Stories is is disappointing, given that I ordered it and it shipped to me like a day before the SUSD review came out. How in the hell does it have such a high rating on BGG?

See Splendor.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Splendor is actually a pretty decent answer to the baseline question of "how can we make the simplest possible engine builder thatis still engaging and not overly random."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OmegaGoo posted:

See Splendor.

Totally wrong. Splendor is a decent light game with no real issues. Time Stories is trash.

Caedar posted:

It's new and has some exciting ideas, so people are too excited to judge it fairly.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 2, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
BGG has Dead of Winter listed as an aggregate 8 out of 10, for example. CAH and Munchkin have reviews that sit around 6/6.5 out of 10. What this suggests to me is that BGG operates on the same review scale that video game reviewers use, and that consequently BGG's reviews are worthless for actually determining whether a game is any good or not.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Was at a boardgaming convention all weekend and thought the following:

Mombasa is a pretty fun little Euro. I don't know that it does anything all that innovative, but it's got a lot of paths to victory, manipulation of four trading companies in a "stock-lite" sort of gameplay, some area control and deck-building/management... It was a good surprise.
Signorie was not disappointing - which is weird, because I expected it to be. It's much weightier in terms of being an engine-builder than the manual and board led me to think. And yet, it should move pretty quickly once you get used to it. The only question I have about getting it is really that I feel it's a kissing cousin to Madeira... except I think Madeira does most of its ideas better.
Shakespeare is, unfortunately, pretty uninspired and terrible - complete waste of the theme and not a single interesting mechanic in it. My wife pretty much nailed it when she said that Rococo is twice as fun and has way more to think about and choose. Real disappointing.
Blood Rage is pretty much everything I wanted. I think a few passers-by scoffed at the Cool Mini chrome, but there's a really good game underneath all that. Very happy with it.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Kai Tave posted:

BGG has Dead of Winter listed as an aggregate 8 out of 10, for example. CAH and Munchkin have reviews that sit around 6/6.5 out of 10. What this suggests to me is that BGG operates on the same review scale that video game reviewers use, and that consequently BGG's reviews are worthless for actually determining whether a game is any good or not.

It is worth noting that all three mentioned games are immensely popular and widely loved, so they may not be the best example of the IGN scale in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Caedar posted:

Caedar posted:

high rating on BGG

welcome to the fountain of filth