Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
As a side note, that's why I love Dead Money best of all the DLC. It takes away all of your poo poo and puts you in an intensely crappy place. Scrounging up a halfway-usable knife and tying it to a stick to make a spear is actually helpful in that scenario when you don't have a Fat Man for every day of the week in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have to say, the whole "obsidian made a better game lol bethesda" is the dumbest thing in this thread so far.

Already having a tuned engine, and access to the previous games assets? Duh you're going to have more time to add new ideas and fine tune gameplay.

As hilariously broken Beth games can get, they use new/modified engines every time and create brand new assets for these giant rear end games. And add in way more interactive features than W3 dreamt of having. I'd rather have customizable weapons and layer able armor than Witchers pretty grass.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

I have to say, the whole "obsidian made a better game lol bethesda" is the dumbest thing in this thread so far.

Already having a tuned engine, and access to the previous games assets? Duh you're going to have more time to add new ideas and fine tune gameplay.

As hilariously broken Beth games can get, they use new/modified engines every time and create brand new assets for these giant rear end games. And add in way more interactive features than W3 dreamt of having. I'd rather have customizable weapons and layer able armor than Witchers pretty grass.

Obsidian did make a better game. Yeah, they had a lot of the work done for them already, I don't think anyone's denying it. And of the two, I preferred DC to Vegas when it came to environment. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that FO3 had better story or characters.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What a fantastic and true dichotomy

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nasgate posted:

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Bethesda's writers and quest designers aren't the ones coding the engine or doing art assets, so actually they still suck, sorry.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Bethesda's writers and quest designers aren't the ones coding the engine or doing art assets, so actually they still suck, sorry.

Whatever happened to that quest designer who made the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion? That guy was the best

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what anyone is arguing about and I don't care

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I guess Bethesda should have hired more ideas people.

But seriously- things like random-result dialog checks aren't easier to implement than threshold checks. That's a just decision, not an extra feature.

Obsidian had a huge advantage over Fallout 3 because they could see where systems went wrong (including the story) and spend all their time fixing them, and that's fine. Not much of a scathing criticism of Bethesda to say New Vegas is an improvement on 3, because in that case Obsidian had every advantage.

It becomes "lol Bethesda is garbage" when they go back and make the same drat mistakes Fallout 3 did and New Vegas fixed. Because I guess they weren't mistakes, Bethesda just wanted to make a lovely game. Or to be more fair they have different values, and I happen to like Obsidian's values a lot more.

(Fallout 4 might be way better than Fallout 3- I don't know, I haven't played it. But it's already got some questionable decisions in there.)

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'll be curious to find out if you can target individual body parts with melee/unarmed in VATS this time around. I want to punch faces, dammit!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nasgate posted:

Having the engine and assets is why New Vegas could be made by less people than a normal Bethesda game in far less time.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

graynull posted:

I'll be curious to find out if you can target individual body parts with melee/unarmed in VATS this time around. I want to punch faces, dammit!

You'll need the STR 4 perk that lets you mod melee weapons so you can attach a scope to your fists

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sout posted:

You'll need the STR 4 perk that lets you mod melee weapons so you can attach a scope to your fists

Don't you mean buzzsaws to a bat?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Having the engine and assets is why New Vegas could be made by less people than a normal Bethesda game in far less time.

Does that really count if they still released the game unfinished and spent the entire DLC cycle and a little after patching and balancing and fixing? Bethesda does the same thing, true, but having the engine and assets already there didn't seem to help Obsidian in that regard at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sout posted:

Scoping your fists would be stupid. You need to put laser sights on your knuckles. With 60 medicine skill you can integrate them into your fist like wolverine's claws.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PirateBob posted:

This guy on NeoGAF actually has a point lol.

(Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4)

What I love about this comparison is that the top screenshot is clearly the PC version, so all it shows is that the PS4 is equivalent to a 7 year old PC.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you're an android then a rocket punch is more than reasonable.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sout posted:

you can already mod melee weapons just like guns, but in case you were referring to just body mods in general, agreed, and also I want to have a robo-hand that folds up and becomes a cannon

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

computer parts posted:

What I love about this comparison is that the top screenshot is clearly the PC version, so all it shows is that the PS4 is equivalent to a 7 year old PC.

Precisely why I don't give a gently caress about the screenshots that have been released to date. I don't care what this game looks like on a console because I have no intention of playing it on one.

I'm more concerned about the same wonky rear end memory issues that FO3, NV and Skyrim had but they can be fixed quite easily if they do pop up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to mod my head to have a buzzsaw in it so I can to +3 damage to mole rats when I headbutt them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to mod my head to be a grenade

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

computer parts posted:

I personally love the really lovely Fallout 3 rocks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Magmarashi posted:

Does that really count if they still released the game unfinished and spent the entire DLC cycle and a little after patching and balancing and fixing? Bethesda does the same thing, true, but having the engine and assets already there didn't seem to help Obsidian in that regard at all.

By "they" you must mean Bethesda since they were responsible for both the game's QA process and its release date. In which case you're right, Bethesda does do the same thing as Bethesda.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
As I understand it Bethesda did QA meaning they identified the bugs and then Obsidian fixed them. Probably having a smaller team didn't let them get that done any quicker than Bethesda.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I ain't pre-loaded a steam game before, am I right in thinking if fallout 4 is downloaded I can use a kiwi/Aussie vpn to unlock the game at ~4p.m. GMT on the 9th? Or are they taking steps to prevent that this time round?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kanfy posted:

By "they" you must mean Bethesda since they were responsible for both the game's QA process and its release date. In which case you're right, Bethesda does do the same thing as Bethesda.

My point is that Obsidian didn't have to do a significant portion of the major lifting in creating a brand new game, and they still pushed out a game that required a great deal of tweaking and fixing post release in the same way that Bethesda-developed titles do.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Who here is excited for the video game?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

*.jpg of squinting dude with a bunch of question marks over his head*

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Noctis Horrendae posted:

This thread is about a video game?

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

*.jpg of squinting dude with a bunch of question marks over his head*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

My point is that Obsidian didn't have to do a significant portion of the major lifting in creating a brand new game, and they still pushed out a game that required a great deal of tweaking and fixing post release in the same way that Bethesda-developed titles do.

Nobody said they made a more stable game than Bethesda.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

hell, I am

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are you guys arguing about who made the best video game

What does the winner get in this argument

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to play fallout

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to take fun perks and play gimmick characters

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like a really lucky idiot guy

I'll call him Mr Bean

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I personally love the really lovely Fallout 3 rocks.

Some have things in them.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Babe Magnet posted:

Like hell I am

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Still no full list of perks yet? Lazy leakers. All they have to do is screenshot them on PS4, throw them on a thumbdrive, and then upload the whole folder to an imgur album. No organization necessary since the rest of the internet will take care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eonwe posted:

Why are you guys arguing about who made the best video game

What does the winner get in this argument

I think Bethesda wins all the money

• Locked thread