Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tamayachi posted:

All I know is my green Sword for BW was burning and glowing and cool as gently caress, but my new orange sword just has a skull on the crosspiece, no flames, no glowing, no satisfying TSSSS sound when I brand rats with it.

The Bright Wizard has two different types of sword. One flame, one normal. The normal one is pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Fans posted:

The Bright Wizard has two different types of sword. One flame, one normal. The normal one is pretty good though.

Normal sword, decapitating rats, all day erry day

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Night Blade posted:

Rolled an orange 2H axe with Regrowth... ... on a charged attack... ... ... with a 1% chance. :negative:

Ugh I got an orange axe for WH that has the 3-10% chance to heal 5 health on charged attack kill.

I think I'll stick with my 6% chance to heal 5 health per normal attack hit orange Zweihander.

I also got a Trueflight that has 40% reduced weapon spread. :v:

I really don't know why some of these bonuses are so bad and fluctuate so much, I wish/hope someday that there's a way to reforge the bonuses, like in Terraria, but I have no idea what someone could use to pay for such a reroll on the weapon other than more upgrade ores. It'd still be easier than grinding a ton of games hoping to get that specific orange weapon again in a die roll.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I will never stop using the bolt staff if only for the sole reason that you become vegeta whenever you quaff a speed potion.

Also holding a burning spear above your head looks really cool, regardless of how much heat you're building

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you left click while using the beam on the beam staff it does an AoE where your beam is hitting and does a good bit of damage if you're head hitting the beam target. I did not know that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fans posted:

If you left click while using the beam on the beam staff it does an AoE where your beam is hitting and does a good bit of damage if you're head hitting the beam target. I did not know that.

I don't think it has an AoE effect.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think it has an AoE effect.

Might not! Looks like it did, but everything was on fire already.

Edit: definetly doesn't, but I have one shot Stormvermin with it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 2, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What stuff should you try to be going for with the elf? I don't feel her melee is that amazing with my twin swords and she runs out of arrows so fast.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Trueflight/Longbow and Single Sword/Sword+Dagger are the good pairs. Double Swords are okay, but nothing special.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Radish posted:

What stuff should you try to be going for with the elf? I don't feel her melee is that amazing with my twin swords and she runs out of arrows so fast.

Ugh, this post reeks of ignorance.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
poo poo is down... I guess.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Radish posted:

I run with sword & dagger and a longbow. It works out quite well for me. If you can line up rats, the right button charge attack pierces multiple rats, and stunlocks stormvermin. It's no handgun for sure, but it gets the job done. I'm usually either rearguard, or flanking while playing the elf. By flanking, I mean not separating from the group but shanking skaven in the side attacking a shield bearer.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Servers down again, just as i was done running nightmare monastery of morr :(

It was a pretty good group for a pubby run too

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo I went straight from a white quality handgun on the soldier to an orange "Pfalz Harquebuss" handgun. On the first outing I popped two stormvermin's heads in one shot.

My face: :aaa:

Also I'm pretty sure it's one-shotting stormvermin even on body shots in Hard. I'm guessing that won't hold up in nightmare but boy howdy is it nice right now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo I went straight from a white quality handgun on the soldier to an orange "Pfalz Harquebuss" handgun. On the first outing I popped two stormvermin's heads in one shot.

My face: :aaa:

Also I'm pretty sure it's one-shotting stormvermin even on body shots in Hard. I'm guessing that won't hold up in nightmare but boy howdy is it nice right now.

It might still one shot them on nightmare... but on that difficulty it'll also oneshot your teammates because nightmare/cata have friendly fire on ranged attacks. :unsmigghh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hypha posted:

Ugh, this post reeks of ignorance.

Sorry I don't know how to play this game I just bought I guess!!

Ulvirich posted:

I run with sword & dagger and a longbow. It works out quite well for me. If you can line up rats, the right button charge attack pierces multiple rats, and stunlocks stormvermin. It's no handgun for sure, but it gets the job done. I'm usually either rearguard, or flanking while playing the elf. By flanking, I mean not separating from the group but shanking skaven in the side attacking a shield bearer.

Cool thanks!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Radish posted:

"this x reeks of ignorance" is something the elf says

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

President Ark posted:

"this x reeks of ignorance" is something the elf says

Well derp now I feel like a jerk, sorry. Clearly haven't played enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

President Ark posted:

It might still one shot them on nightmare... but on that difficulty it'll also oneshot your teammates because nightmare/cata have friendly fire on ranged attacks. :unsmigghh:

Nah, it does less than a pip/bar of health.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

Well derp now I feel like a jerk, sorry. Clearly haven't played enough.

Keep playing. Every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
And by comparison a single hit from a rat does between 2 and 3 pips of health on cata

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Funnily enough the poison bow is the only weapon where firendly fire is a serious problem. Nothing like being in a melee only to have half your health melt in 2 seconds because your elf pubbie shot you in the back :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that is about the only use ive seen for the poison bow. its the best at killing teammates.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
I like the elf's dual swords more than the sword + dagger combo. With dual swords I can normal attack constantly while dodging from side to side and kill hordes while taking minimal / no damage. With the + dagger I find that the last attack in the combo that stabs the dagger forward just completely ruins my timing and causes me to almost always get poked. The range on the dual swords is really nice too; the only downside to them is the lack of special traits, you get armor penetration with the charge attack but that's it. Still, I can use my bow in those situations. I'd rather have a melee weapon that I can very safely kill hordes with even if it's not the greatest vs stormvermin.

But I don't understand what the devs were thinking with the elf bows. They're an unbalanced catastrophe. Like why does the longbow do less damage than the trueflight? It has more ammo yeah, but the trueflight is a freakin' heat seeking special killing missile. And the swiftbow and hagbane are laughably bad. They should never be used except to troll the rest of the group.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Radish posted:

Cool thanks!

It is just a dumb joke. The elf is the better Francis.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Death by Chickens posted:

I like the elf's dual swords more than the sword + dagger combo. With dual swords I can normal attack constantly while dodging from side to side and kill hordes while taking minimal / no damage. With the + dagger I find that the last attack in the combo that stabs the dagger forward just completely ruins my timing and causes me to almost always get poked. The range on the dual swords is really nice too; the only downside to them is the lack of special traits, you get armor penetration with the charge attack but that's it.

This is exactly my reasoning when I got a blue sword/dagger and decided to upgrade from my green dual swords; I get stabbed a lot more now. But until I get blue swords with +ammo and health chance on kill I'm sticking with the sword/dagger for now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Abandoned Toaster posted:

This is exactly my reasoning when I got a blue sword/dagger and decided to upgrade from my green dual swords; I get stabbed a lot more now. But until I get blue swords with +ammo and health chance on kill I'm sticking with the sword/dagger for now.

Dual swords with both of those are awesome. I should know :smugdog:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
In my quest for a solid rapier the game gave me a blue axe with 9.5% chance on kill to grant 10% HP. Guess i'm using this one forever!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hypha posted:

It is just a dumb joke. The elf is the better Francis.

Yeah, had that explained sorry!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Chomp8645 posted:

Keep playing. Every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you.

I am 99% sure the voice actor goofed up this line or they edited it wrong.

"every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you, oh ['sigmar' is not said but should almost definitely be the next word]"

Who ends a sentence with oh in this millennium? That's some gilbert and sullivan rhyming couplets poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What? The subtitles have that line as "Every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you, Elf."

And I hear it as elf too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I am 99% sure the voice actor goofed up this line or they edited it wrong.

"every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you, oh ['sigmar' is not said but should almost definitely be the next word]"

Who ends a sentence with oh in this millennium? That's some gilbert and sullivan rhyming couplets poo poo.

I thought it was "every dead rat man strengthens my faith in you, elf".

I haven't heard him say it when there wasn't an elf in the group.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I guess I wrecked my ears pretty good with those drum lessons. I just wanted to play rock band better. Stopped getting carpal tunnel from gripping the sticks wrong, got permanent hearing damage that embarrasses me online when I play without subtitles. Dang.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'm having a tough time getting used to two-handed weapons, is it just getting into a rhythm with charge attacks and letting faster melee clean up or is there something I'm missing? I feel totally ineffective out there when I'm actually using the weapon.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Even if it's the ratpocalypse and everything is hosed I wouldn't put any faith in a wood elf. Seems like a real character flaw to do so.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I'm having a tough time getting used to two-handed weapons, is it just getting into a rhythm with charge attacks and letting faster melee clean up or is there something I'm missing? I feel totally ineffective out there when I'm actually using the weapon.

Use charge attacks liberally, most 2h weapons (particularly the soldier's greathammer) have really amazing sweeping/cleaving attacks as their charge. There is kind of a rhythm - charge a short distance away from group, walk forward into group, release charge, then immediately backdodge to avoid any rats you missed/stormvermin who don't get knocked on their rear end. Repeat as needed.

e: And don't do full charges, even a minimally-charged swing will still bowl everything over on its rear end and kill slaves in one or two swings.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 2, 2015

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Be sure you're mouse-dragging with those charge attacks. Don't just swing at one spot, you can bash up a whole bunch of rats in one swing if you spin around while releasing it, timed properly.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

President Ark posted:

Use charge attacks liberally, most 2h weapons (particularly the soldier's greathammer) have really amazing sweeping/cleaving attacks as their charge. There is kind of a rhythm - charge a short distance away from group, walk forward into group, release charge, then immediately backdodge to avoid any rats you missed/stormvermin who don't get knocked on their rear end. Repeat as needed.

e: And don't do full charges, even a minimally-charged swing will still bowl everything over on its rear end and kill slaves in one or two swings.
Yeah I figured that out with the rapier, solved a lot of problems for me.

I guess it's just rhythm then, feel like there's an art to knockback/roundup with it.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

But Not Tonight posted:

Be sure you're mouse-dragging with those charge attacks. Don't just swing at one spot, you can bash up a whole bunch of rats in one swing if you spin around while releasing it, timed properly.
Quoting for emphasis, this really makes a big difference in huge melees or in holding up against a horde in a corner where you don't have a doorway to funnel them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Are you click dragging with the swing, I assume? to make it longer? or against it so you hit the same rats more?

• Locked thread