Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

natetimm posted:

Hate speech laws aren't going to stop teens and kids from bullying each other.

Good point. Likewise laws against murder have failed to end murder. Legalize murder now tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

you're an idiot

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

I want to remind you that you said, and I quote, "hate speech never killed anybody". I gave you a concrete example of hate speech killing huge numbers of people, and you turned it into a joke. Because you're incapable of looking at yourself critical for fear of recognizing yourself for the monster you are. All you had to say was, "ok, yes, I was exaggerating when I said hate speech never killed anybody, and those deaths are all tragedies" but nope, you decided to speak from the heart and tell us how you really felt. Now all you can do is own up to it.

Kids and teens bullying each other to suicide extends beyond hate speech, and making it a hate speech issue is capitalizing politically on the deaths of people to make it about your own personal, pet issue.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Letting people express their lovely opinions is a neccesary evil because it keeps the government from oppressing people who hold whatever political viewpoints the current administration doesn't happen to like.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Kids and teens bullying each other to suicide extends beyond hate speech, and making it a hate speech issue is capitalizing politically on the deaths of people to make it about your own personal, pet issue.

or perhaps its that hate speech is part of that issue that people wish to curb because it specifically affects those who are most vulnerable

not that you give a poo poo you ignorant gently caress

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Can we get some more pictures and articles of dead children in this thread please?!?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

natetimm posted:

So can regular speech. Or a fart. Or bad driving. Or nothing at all, just random violence.

Istvun posted:

hey natetimm where on the poll is the option for 'you're a drat moron?'

I hope, one day, you can see the distinction between speech that encourages + incites violent behavior and someone running a red light.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
"Did you lieberals know that passing a law does not metaphysically force people to not violate that law? Laws are not in fact the same thing as magik spells. MINDS: BLOWN!"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Literally The Worst posted:

or perhaps its that hate speech is part of that issue that people wish to curb because it specifically affects those who are most vulnerable

not that you give a poo poo you ignorant gently caress

Maybe writing laws to put adults in jail over stupid poo poo kids with undeveloped brains do is bad policy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

natetimm posted:

People die from malicious words, be it online or the more traditional and acceptable beatings or being dragged behind a truck.

We have laws that say don't do that.

If you're a reasonable person you just shrug and say "yeah ok, that's not gunna matter to how I live my life"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

crabcakes66 posted:

Can we get some more pictures and articles of dead children in this thread please?!?

You inhuman monster!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

People die from malicious words, be it online or the more traditional and acceptable beatings or being dragged behind a truck.

We have laws that say don't do that.

If you're a reasonable person you just shrug and say "yeah ok, that's not gunna matter to how I live my life"

Being beaten and dragged behind a truck isn't being killed by malicious words.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RuanGacho posted:

This just in: Hate speech makes racists murder blacks.

If only the US government could decide what the right opinions are, then there would be no more racism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Maybe writing laws to put adults in jail over stupid poo poo kids with undeveloped brains do is bad policy.

lmao

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

It will absolutely stop some of them. The reason that this type of bullying is so prevalent is because teens believe there are no repercussions for what they're doing.

natetimm posted:

How does it exist beyond a hate speech issue, exactly? Spell it out for me, because I don't think you actually can. You're desperately searching for an out, prove to me you aren't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

crabcakes66 posted:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Kennedy-LeRoy-Bullied-Teen-With-Aspergers-Commits-Suicide-Ayala-High-School-308013731.html

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Who What Now posted:

It will absolutely stop some, possibly even most of them. The reason that this type of bullying is so prevalent is because teens believe there are no repercussions for what they're doing.
Yes, and they are wrong and there are repercussions.

So obviously what would solve children being dicks is to make it illegal.

There is nothing America needs more than more children in the prison system.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Almost there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

I want to remind you that you said, and I quote, "hate speech never killed anybody". I gave you a concrete example of hate speech killing huge numbers of people, and you turned it into a joke. Because you're incapable of looking at yourself critical for fear of recognizing yourself for the monster you are. All you had to say was, "ok, yes, I was exaggerating when I said hate speech never killed anybody, and those deaths are all tragedies" but nope, you decided to speak from the heart and tell us how you really felt. Now all you can do is own up to it.

it's almost like natetimm is a congenitally retarded person who has a habit of using words incorrectly and is terrified of authoritarian feminism lurking around every corner

this is why he is so vocally resistant to the idea of people not having a platform to screech idiocy in public

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

It will absolutely stop some, possibly even most of them. The reason that this type of bullying is so prevalent is because teens believe there are no repercussions for what they're doing.

How does it exist beyond a hate speech issue, exactly? Spell it out for me, because I don't think you actually can. You're desperately searching for an out, prove to me you aren't.

Do countries with hate speech laws have less suicides due to bullying or are you just speculating? It seems to be an omnipresent issue regardless of hate speech legislation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's almost like natetimm is a congenitally retarded person who has a habit of using words incorrectly and is terrified of authoritarian feminism lurking around every corner
There isn't an :ironicat: big enough.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It always staggers me how progressives, who generally understand that hierarchies and systems of power tend to trample the rights of the oppressed, occasionally forget this and argue in favor of granting broad power to suppress dissent to those same authorities. If hate speech laws pass in the United States, don't act surprised when they're first used to punish people who criticize Christian megachurches. Why would the State, which is generally correctly identified as a racist, sexist and violent organization, apply hate speech laws in an egalitarian way that protects the rights of the minority?

you know what hate speech laws will be used for? for when cops break up a BLM protest with nightsticks and teargas, they have another charge to pile on the person in the back of the paddywagon. why the gently caress is a group of people ostensibly interested in achieving social justice bent on doing so using the american criminal justice system? that's like trying to put out your flaming house by increasing the pressure on your kerosene hose.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

this is why he is so vocally resistant to the idea of people not having a platform to screech idiocy in public

natetimm what is your exact definition of a comments section

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Don't hate crime laws in the US just increase criminal penalties for illegal behavior anyways?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It always staggers me how progressives, who generally understand that hierarchies and systems of power tend to trample the rights of the oppressed, occasionally forget this and argue in favor of granting broad power to suppress dissent to those same authorities. If hate speech laws pass in the United States, don't act surprised when they're first used to punish people who criticize Christian megachurches. Why would the State, which is generally correctly identified as a racist, sexist and violent organization, apply hate speech laws in an egalitarian way that protects the rights of the minority?

you know what hate speech laws will be used for? for when cops break up a BLM protest with nightsticks and teargas, they have another charge to pile on the person in the back of the paddywagon. why the gently caress is a group of people ostensibly interested in achieving social justice bent on doing so using the american criminal justice system? that's like trying to put out your flaming house by increasing the pressure on your kerosene hose.

given that we have hate speech laws on the books and none of this has come true,

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Exactly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Istvun posted:

Don't hate crime laws in the US just increase criminal penalties for illegal behavior anyways?

literally yes

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This thread has certainly been enlightening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Nah we already knew what a shitheel noted gator natetimm was

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Small Frozen Thing posted:

it's refreshing from time to time to get a peek into exactly how dysfunctional thought processes work and how they can lead to aberrant opinions

you only have to provoke someone into showing their work to identify where it all goes wrong

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

it's refreshing from time to time to get a peek into exactly how dysfunctional thought processes work and how they can lead to aberrant opinions

you only have to provoke someone into showing their work to identify where it all goes wrong

I certainly never would thought it'd be so easy to get someone to say "lol, who gives a poo poo about dead homos". Actually kinda sad, really.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

given that we have hate speech laws on the books and none of this has come true,

Where are you talking about? Hate speech (as opposed to hate crime) laws are legally unenforceable anywhere in the US, and in every country that does have hate speech laws, they have been abused to prosecute people who fell well short of actually inciting violence.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Who What Now posted:

I certainly never would thought it'd be so easy to get someone to say "lol, who gives a poo poo about dead homos". Actually kinda sad, really.

Dammit, I step away from this thread for twenty minuets...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you understand most states already controls and shapes free speech right, and that critics of churches are silenced through the threat of civil suits and various legal contracts.

you aren't describing some nightmare that will become true if this legislation is passed, you're describing the current reality of speech and the law in the US.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Silver2195 posted:

Where are you talking about? Hate speech (as opposed to hate crime) laws are legally unenforceable anywhere in the US, and in every country that does have hate speech laws, they have been abused to prosecute people who fell well short of actually inciting violence.

good, people who engage in hate speech are overwhelmingly unpopular weirdos who need to cloak themselves as rights advocates in order to pretend that they aren't just social outcasts

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

natetimm posted:

I don't think that went down the same way you're describing. You can dredge it up if you want.

This took me a minute to put together because you had 10 pages worth of posts to go through in the Gamergate thread. You would have had more I'm sure, but you got probated for one month and then banned for being a transphobic shithead in a different thread. That kinda undercuts your heroic defender of minority rights thing by the way.

First we start with an incredibly broad absolute statement.

and follow it up with

and when I ask you

7c Nickel posted:

Natetimm. You've already stated that censorship is inherently bad and that refusing to stock something in your store is censorship. If Walmart refuses to stock my (completely fictional) comic "Toddler gently caress Rampage" is that a terrible blow to free speech? A Man in Black would say it's both censorship and acceptable. What do you say?

you responded with

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Istvun posted:

Yes. There's no hate crime in the US that wouldn't also be a regular crime regardless of target. One of the things this country gets right.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 2, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

good, people who engage in hate speech are overwhelmingly unpopular weirdos who need to cloak themselves as rights advocates in order to pretend that they aren't just social outcasts

Agreed. Lock up anyone who says something I don't like.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Dreylad posted:

you understand most states already controls and shapes free speech right, and that critics of churches are silenced through the threat of civil suits.

you aren't describing some nightmare that will become true if this legislation is passed, you're describing the current reality of speech laws in the US.

Based on this, wouldn't expanding hate speech further into criminal law pave the way for churches, corporations, and other groups from taking advantage of it? It seems like a lot of the countries with hate speech laws tend to be more left wing, but the shoe changes feet pretty regularly in the US, and in some areas it's always on the right. That seems like it could lead to some pretty nasty consequences for the marginalized groups that the ideal of hate speech laws would protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

• Locked thread