Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

I'm really glad that they released a finished and well tested expansion.
Maybe that's my karmic retribution for bragging about the challenge basically bending over and spreading its cheeks for me a few posts up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress do you stand as The Lost in Greed Mode so that enemies don't spawn directly underneath you? I can't believe I've had Godhead in there twice and lost both times because a spider or dip spawned right under my feet and killed me instantly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BJPaskoff posted:

Where the gently caress do you stand as The Lost in Greed Mode so that enemies don't spawn directly underneath you? I can't believe I've had Godhead in there twice and lost both times because a spider or dip spawned right under my feet and killed me instantly.

Stand on the button.

No, really. The Lost is the only character that doesn't get hurt by using the button and enemies don't spawn on it/in a 9x9 square around it. Also, because he doesn't get hurt by using it, make sure to abuse it whenever possible and take waves one by one, it's much easier that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 1, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Stand on the button.

No, really. The Lost is the only character that doesn't get hurt by using the button and enemies don't spawn on it/in a 9x9 square around it. Also, because he doesn't get hurt by using it, make sure to abuse it whenever possible and take waves one by one, it's much easier that way.

i think it works like curse doors, you can step over it without getting damaged once if youre flying.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

ArfJason posted:

i think it works like curse doors, you can step over it without getting damaged once if youre flying.

azazel gets hurt, so i dont think this is the case

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the Lost is an exception. He's the only who can press the button (And has a real reason to do so) without getting hurt.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ah alright, thank you for clearing up.

also advice for winning as the lost: you need to be SUPER skillful at evasion, but more importantly, be lucky with items. you can be a pro ballet rear end in a top hat that moves all over the goddamn place weaving between bullets, but eventually something WILL get you. If you don't have 9 lives or an offense so devastating that you dont need to dodge, you're most likely gonna fail.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
some other tips: enemies'pathfinding goes to poo poo when hovering over rocks and pits. if on a pit, guys like monstro will try to stomp, but fall back down where they started.

also the blue fires in sheol are mighty useful. Quite a few enemies spawn on top of them, or you can kite others to get hurt. If one of those fly assholes spawns on top of them and on death spawn an exploding fly, the fires will be put out so be wary.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Okay yeah this speed challenge is the worst designed one they've ever done. If you get like Steven or something with the speed boost you just have to damage race him.

CJacobs posted:

So, I beat Onan's Streak and didn't unlock anything. Judas just went into the chest at the end of mom's heart and I got the standard ending and then it cut back to the main menu. :confused:

I got the kidney stone (I think) without isssue when I did it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you get Bum Friend, Key Bum, and Dark Bum in a playthrough, they all combine to make Super Bum. A familiar who picks up everything, but gives bigger payouts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So he actually meant what he said in the earlier blog post and legitimately thinks Greed Mode is balanced risk/reward gameplay and the only way you've gotten 109 is because you've played a bunch and not because the mode is hilariously broken? The guy has no idea how his game works anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

So he actually meant what he said in the earlier blog post and legitimately thinks Greed Mode is balanced risk/reward gameplay and the only way you've gotten 109 is because you've played a bunch and not because the mode is hilariously broken? The guy has no idea how his game works anymore.

There's like one or two items that break greed mode and make getting infinite coins easy what are you talking about

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I don't see why they'd overtly lie on the store page about how many new items there are. It seems like Ed probably just wants to have a whole bunch of surprises coming like he intended with The Lost, and to stop people from datamining it this time he just made it literally impossible by not patching them into the game yet. Maybe the Greed donation machine will let you go higher when more stuff is added or something.

either that or he really is incredibly out of touch, 'cause while Greed mode is sort of entertaining, there's no way this is 100+ hours of new content except for the most dedicated of players.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Owns owns owns

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
"Hell yeah, just played real clutch and won a fight against Isaac without getting hit in this Brains challenge. First try on a challenge that lots of people are having problems with. Wait...I have to do THE CHEST!!!???? *dies a couple rooms in*"

gently caress. Another challenge that's a sound idea that would have benefited from some god drat playtesting. Reload the drat brains every time you enter a room at least and don't make me wait around. That alone would make that challenge way more bearable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kawalimus posted:

"Hell yeah, just played real clutch and won a fight against Isaac without getting hit in this Brains challenge. First try on a challenge that lots of people are having problems with. Wait...I have to do THE CHEST!!!???? *dies a couple rooms in*"

gently caress. Another challenge that's a sound idea that would have benefited from some god drat playtesting. Reload the drat brains every time you enter a room at least and don't make me wait around. That alone would make that challenge way more bearable.

But then it's not a challenge!

Or whatever Mr Edmund's logic is.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

CJacobs posted:

There's like one or two items that break greed mode and make getting infinite coins easy what are you talking about

Every run I did of Greed mode and won (five times), I had at least 30 coins left over not counting the runs I broke (2/5). So even if I hadn't had infinite coins twice, I could have easily capped the machine in 4 runs.

That isn't 100's of hours of content.

Obviously not a large amount of data but from my experience anyway, he just doesn't have any clue how to balance a game.

e: Not to mention he's a big baby if he is time gating content. This isn't an MMO, it's a single player game and the person who made it shouldn't really decide if you're playing it too quickly.

Sibilant Crisp fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 2, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

What?

I never mentioned infinite coins, but as for breaking it over your knee, off the top of my head, alone or in combination with each you have IV Bag, Piggy Bank, Fanny Pack, D20, Glitter Bombs, Rune Bag, Diplopia, Swallowed Penny, Dr. Fetus, Epic Fetus, Pyro, Car Battery, Sack Head and probably more that I'm not remembering. Not to mention just.. luck. I capped the machine in my first three runs :shrug:

Butyraceous posted:

e: Not to mention he's a big baby if he is time gating content. This isn't an MMO, it's a single player game and the person who made it shouldn't really decide if you're playing it too quickly.

Didn't he throw a hissy fit when people datamined The Lost right before people did it the legitimate way? It might be related to that.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 2, 2015

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah he literally thought people were going to be working for months trying to unlock it. I don't know why he was so upset it stayed hidden for like a week or something which is not even so bad when you have the entire community together working on it. They figured out how to get the puzzle pieces all that was left was putting it together then some people just datamined it and he said that people "ruined" it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

When I try to enter the hole in the wall that leads to The Hush, my game crashes. What do?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah he literally thought people were going to be working for months trying to unlock it. I don't know why he was so upset it stayed hidden for like a week or something which is not even so bad when you have the entire community together working on it. They figured out how to get the puzzle pieces all that was left was putting it together then some people just datamined it and he said that people "ruined" it.

The best thing is that the ARG was basically 1-2 days from completing. People found the solution, all that was left to do was for a thousand players to die a thousand times each and make screenshots of it and assemble the pieces.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, instead of blaming Nicalis for not coding in the secret better or himself for making it too easy for thousands of people working cooperatively to figure out he ended up blaming the community. I guess he really wanted something like Fez.

They also should have marketed the time-release nature of the expansion's content rather than acting like it's no big deal that content they said was going to be there just isn't there yet.

CJacobs posted:

It's not just "one or two items." IV Bag breaks the game trivially. Getting a large number of bombs breaks the game since that allows you to re-roll the shop as much as you want in order to find other breaking items. Swallowed Penny or Piggy Bank leads to a break because you can then basically use the shop fires like a blood bank that is statistically always profitable due to the shop hearts always costing 3 cents. There are so many paths that lead to breaking that you can do it much more often than you ever were able to in the base game. It would usually take me an hour or two in Rebirth to put together a good breaking run using the D6. Runs of Greed Mode that go past the 3rd floor almost always end up being infinite items.

There's 3 very simple things that would fix it:
1. Shop items shouldn't refill automatically. Throw that item out of the shop pool and into a different pool that doesn't spawn in a room with a re-roll machine.
2. Blood banks shouldn't spawn in the shop. That kills the most common source of the IV bag.
3. Hearts should cost progressively more money as you buy them.

Then there's a whole host of other more substantial changes you could make that would make it even more interesting. Like having a special Greed Shop Donation box that upgrades your shop over the course of THAT run and then resets before the next run. If you had to choose between buying an upgrade or increasing the number of available items in the shop in the future that would also be an interesting risk/reward.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ErIog posted:

3. Red hearts should cost progressively more money as you buy them.

That would probably add more to the whole risk-reward dynamic Edmund wanted Greed Mode to have. Do you spend your money on safety, or power?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As he said though that is one or two items causing the issue. Making it so they can't spawn would fix the problem. I guess there could also be a cap on how many hearts you can buy per level.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Reddit seems to think the content is there but they've done a better job of hiding it this time by not tying it to Steam Achievements or the in-game Secrets page explicitly. They seem to think Stud Finder and the Shovel could lead to new stuff. It would be real neat if that's true, but I have no faith that the content is actually there right now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly, a price increase for hearts (like +1 cent every 5 hearts) or a cap would both work, provided said mechanics are very clearly labelled and displayed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nothing in BoI is labelled, you're meant to learn through play.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They could just leave it as is since broken combos are the actual fun part of this game.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Ariong posted:

When I try to enter the hole in the wall that leads to The Hush, my game crashes. What do?
For what its worth I've read that if you enter before the 25 min mark it won't crash if you're having that issue, and have seen it work like that (it crashed at like 29 min, didnt at 23) but I don't know if it works for everyone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ariong posted:

Yeah I had that happen too. Sadly I think you're just screwed for that run.

EDIT: The Car Battery is hilarious with Lilith, it makes her item activate twice each use.

EDIT2: I think Stick Bomb Shots is my favourite new item so far. It's very strong but since you don't get the damage right away it requires you to play a little differently.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 2, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah if they made greed mode less broken it wouldn't be any fun. Without using those items for coins you're basically given about one or two shop items a floor. And that is lame.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, to the surprise of noone, the code is kind of a mess. I'm looking at the Devil Door spawn code here and the game checks whether the player has Cambion / Immaculate Conception and then.... just does nothing with it and promtly ignores it.
It also checks if you have the new Zodiac item (which gives you the effect of a random one of the 12 zodiac themed items) and checks if the current effect you have is... from the Pentagram? :shrug: Though that might be possible if that new Chaos item enables the Zodiac one to have effects from items other than the zodiac-themed ones, i don't know if that happens. But the chance for that to happen seems miniscule.

/edit: Also, Goat Head isn't king poo poo in town anymore. There's one other check after it which can still null your chance for a Devil Door...

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 2, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had a good Gnawed Leaf + BFF + Cube of Meat thing going with The Lost in Greed Mode. After beating green Bloat with my expert strategy of standing still, I noticed that the doors didn't open. I waited about twenty seconds to see what was up, then sloooowly edged downward to see what was up... and got blasted in the face by a pair of wall-crawling Brimstone spiders that were waiting for me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pwnstar posted:

They could just leave it as is since broken combos are the actual fun part of this game.

Being able to get every item in the game every other run of greed mode gets really dull really fast.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what are the limits of the pokeball? Can you capture champions? What about mini-bosses like Angels? If you capture an enemy that spawns other enemies(like a hive) are the spawned enemies allies too?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Black Candle is apparently the new hotness to get devil deals.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ErIog posted:

Reddit seems to think the content is there but they've done a better job of hiding it this time by not tying it to Steam Achievements or the in-game Secrets page explicitly. They seem to think Stud Finder and the Shovel could lead to new stuff. It would be real neat if that's true, but I have no faith that the content is actually there right now.

Edmund did say on Tyrone's stream that there are secrets that don't have achievements attached to them, because he learned his lesson from The Lost.

With that said, I'm pretty sure some stuff is outright not in the game yet, because there's actually a new character that's been discovered by data miners. But it seems to be in an unfinished state for now. There's no graphical assets for it at all.

What's known about it so far is (MEGA SPOILERS FOR POSSIBLE UPCOMING CONTENT!)

-Dude's name is Keeper.
-Starts off with Triple Shot that can't be rerolled out of.
-Can't pick up hearts, Soul heats, or Black hearts. They just turn into Blue Flies.
-Can get up to 2 heart containers max, but can't increase HP through Soul or Black hearts.
-Pennies heal him.
-The Lost has half a Soul Heart, but this guy starts off with no HP whatsoever. What this means is that picking up items will kill him unless he has HP. Probably not an intended aspect and more like something unfinished considering he can get up to 2 heart containers.

Source. Once again, beware of spoilers.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

This amazing combo consisted of the Dunce Cap, Inner Eye, Death's Sythe, Spoon Bender, Ludovico Technique, and Lost Contact along with a bunch of other things.

This let me park my giant scythe ball on top of ??? and be completely immune to all of his attacks. Even during the third phase where he starts to move towards you, the ball would just stay right on top of him.

Also the D7 on The Chest floor is very good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It may be that the new ARG approach is to only patch in the new content once the community has actually solved the puzzle. Edmund did say something about burying it really deep next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm updating my step-for-step breakdown on how your devil door chances are calculated and putting them down here for later reference.

The chance to spawn the door adds up like this:
  • The base chance to spawn the door is 1%.
  • Have a Pentagram? Add 10%.
  • Have more than 1 Pentagram? Add another 5%. (If you somehow get the Zodiac item to give you the effects of a Pentagram, that also counts)
  • Have a Black Candle? Add 15%.
  • Is your current active item Book of Revelations? +17.5%.
  • Is your current active item Book of Belial? +12.5% (Poor Judas.)
  • Have you blown up a Beggar on this floor? +35%. (Only normal coin beggars count for this)
  • Have you suffered red heart damage in this room? If not, +35%.
  • Have you suffered red heart damage on this floor? If not, +99%.
  • Have you blown up a corpse (grey dudes in shops, secret rooms etc) on this floor? +10%.

If you've seen a Devil Door before on this run, the following modifiers come on top:
  • Was the last time you've seen a Devil Door spawn two floors back? If yes, Chance * 0.5
  • Was the last time you've seen a Devil Door spawn on the last or this floor? If yes, Chance * 0.25

The game now tests whether the check to spawn a Devil Door has failed on this floor before. If yes, your Chance = 0.
(This makes sure you can't see the door again if it has ever closed, because the check runs every time you step into the boss room)

Now the game checks whether you have Goat Head. If yes, it increases your chance by +6660%. (Overkill much?)
Since this happens after the aforementioned test, Goat Head can even open up rooms that already closed (or never spawned) before.

Rebirth stopped at this point. However, Afterbirth runs one more check after all this.
Are you playing in Greed mode? If not, nothing happens and chance calculation ends. If yes:
  • Is the wave counter below 11? Then your chance is always 0%
  • Is the wave counter 11 or higher? Then your chance is always 100%
This will even override Goat Head, so it's totally useless here. :v:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 2, 2015