Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Ras Het posted:

Don't you think reading is studying?

Well, okay, maybe that's not exactly what I meant.

I usually really enjoy slow, studious, "active" reading. In this case though, it's just frustrating, after each chapter, flipping to the back and seeing stuff like "Oh, this is actually a terrific play on words in the original Russian, since, of course, etc etc", or "Anyone who's familiar with 1930s Moscow will see the scathing irony in this, since, of course, etc etc" (paraphrasing, obviously, but that's how it feels). Having these things spelled out for me after the fact doesn't enhance my enjoyment of the text as I'm reading, or even after the fact really, since the best reaction it can evoke from me is "oh... okay, I guess that would have been good to know" or "Oh, yeah, I suppose that was pretty clever, in hindsight..."

Since having these high points spelled out to me afterwards can't really help me recognize and appreciate future high points as I'm reading (they will go over my head no matter what), it never gets any more enjoyable going along. It doesn't build on itself. This makes the work I'd have to put in feel less "worth it", if that makes sense.

EDIT: Though, I should say, I am enjoying the book on some level. It reminds me of Catch 22 in a lot of ways. I just feel bad because I know I won't be able to enjoy it on the level it probably deserves, on the level that more well-read people praise it, and that's the frustrating part.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Moacher posted:

I usually really enjoy slow, studious, "active" reading. In this case though, it's just frustrating, after each chapter, flipping to the back and seeing stuff like "Oh, this is actually a terrific play on words in the original Russian, since, of course, etc etc", or "Anyone who's familiar with 1930s Moscow will see the scathing irony in this, since, of course, etc etc" (paraphrasing, obviously, but that's how it feels). Having these things spelled out for me after the fact doesn't enhance my enjoyment of the text as I'm reading, or even after the fact really, since the best reaction it can evoke from me is "oh... okay, I guess that would have been good to know" or "Oh, yeah, I suppose that was pretty clever, in hindsight..."

Since having these high points spelled out to me afterwards can't really help me recognize and appreciate future high points as I'm reading (they will go over my head no matter what), it never gets any more enjoyable going along. It doesn't build on itself. This makes the work I'd have to put in feel less "worth it", if that makes sense.

EDIT: Though, I should say, I am enjoying the book on some level. It reminds me of Catch 22 in a lot of ways. I just feel bad because I know I won't be able to enjoy it on the level it probably deserves, on the level that more well-read people praise it, and that's the frustrating part.

95% of the people who've read and enjoyed Master & Margarita know jack poo poo about '30s Moscow or the intricacies of early Soviet politics. I certainly don't. All you really need to know to "get" and enjoy that book is the basics of Christianity, and that Bulgakov was on some level opposed to the Soviet system. That's it. It sounds like you have some bizarre inferiority complex, like as if reading an esteemed book was some kind of a task with certain duties, and you can't perform up to it because you don't know things? And thats like so not how it works. You read that book, and next time you read something about 1930s Moscow you go "oh yeah I knew that from Bulgakov". That's how being "well-read" works. The endnotes aren't there to tell you how to read the book but to enhance your experience. It's such an rear end-backwards attitude to think that you're like being chastised by them. It's not a job. No one's forcing you to read a book. Address the feelings it arouses in you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like feeling like I'm missing stuff in a classic book because it means when I re-read it in 10, 20, 30 years when I know more stuff about things, in general, I'll get more and more out of it. It's nice.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Ras Het posted:

It sounds like you have some bizarre inferiority complex, like as if reading an esteemed book was some kind of a task with certain duties, and you can't perform up to it because you don't know things?
It's such an rear end-backwards attitude to think that you're like being chastised by them. It's not a job. No one's forcing you to read a book.

Hmmm... I wonder what could inspire feelings like that in the "Quit being a loving child and read some real literature" thread...:rolleyes:

Jokes aside, I appreciate the response. And you're right, I'm probably overthinking it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Well I mean I said that sincerely, in that there's no point enabling your weird attitude. You pick what you read (book clubs are stupid btw), and you get out of it what you put into it. That's completely up to you. You can skip the boring Jesus parts if you want to, no harm done.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Moacher posted:

Edit: I picked up David Vann's "Goat Mountain" because of this thread Mel Mudkiper's insistence, and because it was on sale for 5bux at the bookstore.

Welcome brother

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Well I mean I said that sincerely, in that there's no point enabling your weird attitude. You pick what you read (book clubs are stupid btw), and you get out of it what you put into it. That's completely up to you. You can skip the boring Jesus parts if you want to, no harm done.

The Jesus parts were the least boring parts of TMaM to me, because I know a lot about christianity but not a lot about the specifics of life in the soviet union.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jesus bits best bits.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I was having a lot of the same problems with Master and Margarita. It just didn't grab me (and seriously I had a lot of trouble with the characters). Maybe I'll try it again sometime, in case it's a mood thing, but maybe it's just not my cup of tea.

I don't have much to report other than having read the Metamorphosis and the Woman in the Dunes. Liked both, though I liked the Metamorphosis more.

I'd like to try some Chinese literature, but I'm probably too busy for the rest of the year for any of the big ones. Maybe next year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Moacher posted:

I usually really enjoy slow, studious, "active" reading. In this case though, it's just frustrating, after each chapter, flipping to the back and seeing stuff like "Oh, this is actually a terrific play on words in the original Russian, since, of course, etc etc", or "Anyone who's familiar with 1930s Moscow will see the scathing irony in this, since, of course, etc etc"

That seems like a terrible way to read the book, IMO.

Just read it straight through and then go and read about all of the references and wordplay etc., which will make for an interesting and different second read.

If you are constantly interrupting the flow of the novel it's naturally going to be way less enjoyable. It wasn't written to be read that way, and you can certainly appreciate it the first time without picking up all that stuff.

Also the translation can make a huge difference. Personally I find the Pevear translation to be far more accessible (and fun) than the Burgin/O'Connor.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
white teeth is really funny and the scenes in the middle class people's house are on point.

i also decided to read some dylan thomas, who I thought of mainly as a poet and I didn't know anything about except 'do not go quiet' etc. The poems in this collection mostly don't faze me, but it has some stories and 'the burning baby' is absolutely crazy.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Zesty Mordant posted:

white teeth is really funny and the scenes in the middle class people's house are on point.

i also decided to read some dylan thomas, who I thought of mainly as a poet and I didn't know anything about except 'do not go quiet' etc. The poems in this collection mostly don't faze me, but it has some stories and 'the burning baby' is absolutely crazy.

Under Milk Wood is his masterpiece anyway, poetry-wise. Haven't read his stories however, can imagine they'd be crazy

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

i also decided to read some dylan thomas, who I thought of mainly as a poet and I didn't know anything about except 'do not go quiet' etc.

Seems like you don't know that one very well either

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I read V and it was cool particularly since parts of it are just short stories from Slow Learner that have been made better. Even tho I think it's more readable than Gravity's Rainbow I feel like I got less out of it, in terms of actually knowing what some of the things Pynchon was going for were. GR had a few themes that it was absolutely coming back to all the time and that really stood out as being "why it was written this way" while V I'm not so sure about.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CestMoi posted:

Seems like you don't know that one very well either

do not go quietly into that something something

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

This thread's barrier for entry is far too low

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What is the point of having a big thread to be pretentious in if just anyone can come in and be like "i like that one poem where it's like "faster and faster in the widening thing the falcon cannot hear the falconsman""

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CestMoi posted:

I read V and it was cool particularly since parts of it are just short stories from Slow Learner that have been made better. Even tho I think it's more readable than Gravity's Rainbow I feel like I got less out of it, in terms of actually knowing what some of the things Pynchon was going for were. GR had a few themes that it was absolutely coming back to all the time and that really stood out as being "why it was written this way" while V I'm not so sure about.

I think it's pretty well controlled. The writing style of the "inhuman" parts (V. and everything around V., anything with machines, most of Stencil's imaginations of the past) contrast very sharply with the "human" ones (Benny Profane). It deliberately tempts you with these sublime images but then throws in a chapter about a fat guy who can't tie his shoes properly.

I didn't really like the themes of Gravity's Rainbow as much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

It's very funny and in some parts poignant as well but I also feel like she had no idea how to end the book and the very last section was pretty stupid. It had been fairly real and convincing up until then but it jumps into ridiculousness and not in a good way. But up until that point, it's good.

the TV adaptation is worth watching as well IMO

I read most of NW a few months ago but wasn't as into it, but also I get tired of British class drama poo poo pretty quick these days.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

What is the point of having a big thread to be pretentious in if just anyone can come in and be like "i like that one poem where it's like "faster and faster in the widening thing the falcon cannot hear the falconsman""

That one's my favoirite by ezra shilling!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CestMoi posted:

I'm going to reread "Conflict and Harmony", by Alexei Tolstoy, soon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I dunno, I thought this thread was more an emergency intervention for people who've been posting about Dresden Files for 124 pages

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What are good sites to get ideas for what the classic stories are about, for example as a jumping off point to use in book reports?

Also I can't believe The Scrivener and Billy Budd were written by the same person. The former owned and the latter was an incredible slog. Probably shouldn't have read them back-to-back

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dunno, I thought this thread was more an emergency intervention for people who've been posting about Dresden Files for 124 pages

Dresden Files is fine!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kraps posted:

Dresden Files is fine!

Not really.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
what is Dresden Files

is it alt-wwii fiction

you mother fuckers it is alt-wwii fiction isnt it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what is Dresden Files

is it alt-wwii fiction

Yeah man alt-wwii fiction is only good if somebody is wearing a pig suit and they fight with pies in airplanes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kraps posted:

Dresden Files is fine!

:how:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

Yeah man alt-wwii fiction is only good if somebody is wearing a pig suit and they fight with pies in airplanes

what on earth are you talking about

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gravity's Rainbow, I believe. Took me a second.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gravity's Rainbow

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what is Dresden Files

is it alt-wwii fiction

It's about a wizard who lives in Chicago and rides dinosaurs and his name is Harry Dresden. It's insanely epic.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
hmm... shall i read about dinosaur-riding wizard or this story about an aging lit professor coming to terms with his mortality?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
also, if there are books about dinosaur-riding wizards coming to terms with aging (magicians is p. much that, with less dinosaurs), why are there no books about aging lit professors riding dinosaurs?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Death of Ivan Illyich's Raptor

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Bone Clocks has an aging lit professor coming to terms with his mortality and body hopping wizards who shoot physic lasers out of their chakra eyes and a :krad: magic mumbogooblyjumbogook blowout climax.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 2, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Bone Clocks has an aging lit professor coming to terms with his mortality and body hopping wizards who shoot physic lasers out of their chakra eyes and a :krad: magic mumbogooblyjumbogook blowout climax.

sounds cool!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm only on CHapter 2 of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man so far, and Daedalus is just sort of being a teenager and it's okay but it seems like it's shaping up to have some loving cool fights between T rexs and ICe GIants in the later chapters which will be sick.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

I'm only on CHapter 2 of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man so far, and Daedalus is just sort of being a teenager and it's okay but it seems like it's shaping up to have some loving cool fights between T rexs and ICe GIants in the later chapters which will be sick.

Over the course of the novel it matures prose-wise. First-person, present-tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Present tense dinosaur fights are going to be intense.