Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

And teaching kids exactly what to expect when they inevitably try said drugs.

Worse, they actually over-hyped drugs. When I was a kid we had to watch a video, which among other things showed a kid taking LSD and seeing dragons and talking to dogs. I mean, sign me the gently caress up, right?

The realities of drugs are actually way better at keeping people off them than the ridiculous over-the-top poo poo DARE came up with. They also equated every drug with the addiction of heroin, and as soon as kids realize that most drugs aren't as bad as heroin, they question everything else they were told.

I've always thought somebody should just go to schools and be like "look, kids, most drugs are way way overrated. They're expensive and they aren't always even that nice."

Doesn't help that movies and shows do the same thing, massively over-hyping and romanticizing drugs. You can always tell when the writers of a TV show have or haven't taken the drug they're writing about.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Show them TCC posts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Show them TCC posts.

Honestly, yes. That'd work pretty well.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Show them TCC posts.

Or about 80% of E/N.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The White Dragon posted:

Didn't DARE have some kind of weird opposite effect when it came to drug consumption?

DARE mostly has no effect whatsoever:

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=2774d535-23cb-4385-b52c-702415b98ae5

quote:

To date, more than 30 studies of DARE have been conducted, and virtually all have found the program has no effect on drug use. (The few studies that have found an effect, including one by the Illinois Police Department, discovered that kids who participated in the program were actually more likely to use drugs than those with no exposure to DARE.)

This is not news. Within 10 years of DARE's inception, scientific studies attested to its ineffectiveness, yet the program still spread across the United States like a virus.

In a study published in the American Journal of Public Health in 1994 -- against the wishes of DARE officials, who tried to prevent the study's publication -- scientists with the Research Triangle Institute in North Carolina looked at 18 early studies and performed a "meta-analysis" on the eight most rigorous reports, including one from the B.C. solicitor-general.

They discovered that DARE had no statistically significant effect on drug use or self-esteem, precisely the two factors the program was intended to affect. Children who had participated in DARE did have greater knowledge of drugs, but that means only that it helped make them informed consumers if they chose to use alcohol or illicit substances.

A widely reported 1998 study led by criminologist Dennis Rosenbaum tracked more than 1,000 DARE students for six years and found the program had no significant impact on drug use. Even worse, Rosenbaum reported that suburban DARE students had significantly higher rates of drug use than suburban students with no exposure to the program.

Similarly, a study by University of Kentucky psychologist Don Lyman followed more than 1,000 students for 10 years -- from the time they participated in DARE until they were 20-year-olds. Lyman found what just about everyone else has -- that DARE had no effect on drug use behaviour or attitude toward drugs.

Since the Rosenbaum/Lyman reports, other studies have replicated their findings, and the responses of DARE officials have always been the same.

AA is pretty useless, too. That people still think these programs do anything is an example of brilliant marketing on someone's part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

AA is pretty useless, too. That people still think these programs do anything is an example of brilliant marketing on someone's part.

AA actually pisses me off because it teaches you that its not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it except pray that God takes away your affliction.

If it works for some people then good for them, but I know some people who it definitely doesn't work for and probably just enables the poo poo out of them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rondette posted:

Or about 80% of E/N.

The worst drugs: Your Brain and Other People.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The worst drugs: Your Brain and Other People.

I don't think anything could make being a pimply faced, dadbod having virgin at 23 look good

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

carry on then posted:

I don't think anything could make being a pimply faced, dadbod having virgin at 23 look good

dadbod?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

AA actually pisses me off because it teaches you that its not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it except pray that God takes away your affliction.

If it works for some people then good for them, but I know some people who it definitely doesn't work for and probably just enables the poo poo out of them.

Not even "pray it away", more like "keep going to a group of like-minded vulnerable people and come up with new vices like coffee/cigarettes to distract you while sharing war stories." It's such an obviously flawed system that offers nothing but circlejerking even in the best possible circumstances.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Men tried to turn being fat into a positive by calling it a dadbod.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The best was they had a Buzzfeed article where they claimed it was all the idea of a hot 19 year-old on Twitter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

AA and NA are sometimes used as fronts for churches to recruit new members. I'm serious. One of the requirements is that you must believe in "a higher power" but they don't specify. If you don't believe in something more powerful than yourself you're out because I mean obviously you need to rely on somebody else because you're a pathetic weakling that can't fight addiction on your own. The meetings often just coincidentally happen in the basement of a church. Then apparently as time goes on you start getting more and more Christianity pushed on you while people suggest that Jesus is the only way out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Not even "pray it away", more like "keep going to a group of like-minded vulnerable people and come up with new vices like coffee/cigarettes to distract you while sharing war stories." It's such an obviously flawed system that offers nothing but circlejerking even in the best possible circumstances.

Yeah but literally one of the messages of AA is that you are powerless to fix what is wrong with you, and only a "higher power" can save you.
They say higher power to avoid being too denominational as Christian, but its God.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

AA and NA are sometimes used as fronts for churches to recruit new members. I'm serious. One of the requirements is that you must believe in "a higher power" but they don't specify. If you don't believe in something more powerful than yourself you're out because I mean obviously you need to rely on somebody else because you're a pathetic weakling that can't fight addiction on your own. The meetings often just coincidentally happen in the basement of a church. Then apparently as time goes on you start getting more and more Christianity pushed on you while people suggest that Jesus is the only way out.

Exactly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I too have seen that episode of South Park.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but literally one of the messages of AA is that you are powerless to fix what is wrong with you, and only a "higher power" can save you.
They say higher power to avoid being too denominational as Christian, but its God.

Exactly.

I had to attend a bunch of AA/NA meetings in high school. It's rooted in Christianity but what I described was far more what happened than any church preying on broken people, although I don't doubt that still happens where Christianity is still more deeply rooted in the culture.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

stringball posted:

I just remember that our dare division that was ran by the sheriff had a really really cool tricked out bigass Hummer that a high up drug dude owned and the moral was your cool Hummer will be stolen from the police if you deal drugs

This was Arizona by the way, and it was a cool Hummer too though

Check out the bitchin' drug-dealer car that the cops here in DC like to go around in

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

tacodaemon posted:

Check out the bitchin' drug-dealer car that the cops here in DC like to go around in

KIDS ONE

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

I didn't even know that was the plot of a South Park episode.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Fun fact, it's not even a real Excalibur, it's just an '88 Mercury Cougar with an fake-Excalibur body kit on it. They seized it like 20 years ago and still like to take it around to things.

Looks like it's parked outside the police station in my neighborhood in that second pic. Maybe I should walk over and see if it's there and ask it if it has stairs in its house.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

mind the walrus posted:

I had to attend a bunch of AA/NA meetings in high school. It's rooted in Christianity but what I described was far more what happened than any church preying on broken people, although I don't doubt that still happens where Christianity is still more deeply rooted in the culture.

The entire meeting circuit around here is turbo-Christian, yeah, and about 4/5 of the leads are like 'a power greater than myself, PS it's Jesus', but the donuts are free.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

WebDog posted:

DARE also crossed over into Australia - given "drugs" also included alcohol. Alcohol is so ingrained into the Australian mindset that you are a complete wuss if you didn't sneak off into the bushes with a smuggled out six-pack before you were 15 to awkwardly sample beer.

In the few cases where I've seen DARE work it creates people who have a paranoid revulsion to anything drug or alcohol related which would make a hardened rechabite look at you as if you were mad.
I knew someone who just went on and on about how alcohol is a poison and that a casual beer would lead immediately into binge drinking and everything you saw on the ads. Also the idea that weed would immediately invoke a schizophrenic reaction.

We have straight edge in the us to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't, but I do have family members in AA! :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WebDog posted:

DARE also crossed over into Australia - given "drugs" also included alcohol. Alcohol is so ingrained into the Australian mindset that you are a complete wuss if you didn't sneak off into the bushes with a smuggled out six-pack before you were 15 to awkwardly sample beer.

In the few cases where I've seen DARE work it creates people who have a paranoid revulsion to anything drug or alcohol related which would make a hardened rechabite look at you as if you were mad.
I knew someone who just went on and on about how alcohol is a poison and that a casual beer would lead immediately into binge drinking and everything you saw on the ads. Also the idea that weed would immediately invoke a schizophrenic reaction.

DARE was an objective failure by every measured standard, and the response of the DARE head to multiple studies that showed literally no decrease in youth drug experimentation and in many cases a measurable increase was along the lines of "These studies and data don't mean anything, our DARE officers on the ground know that its effective".

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

WebDog posted:

I used to work with a girl who hadn't had her first drink until her 23rd birthday, and was convinced that marijuana made you into a homicidal maniac that craved any and all other drugs. She also thought that one hit/snort/shot of alcohol or drugs made you instantly addicted for the rest of your life, because that's what she was taught. She also could not comprehend that drugs made you ]happy or that it felt good.

She assumed that all drugs had the same effect and didn't understand the difference between a stimulant, a depressant, a hallucinogen, etc.

I once asked her why she thought that people did drugs, and beyond assuming they were totally addicted she said "Because someone makes them do it. Forces them to."

Why yes, she was super religious, what gave it away?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

DARE was an objective failure by every measured standard, and the response of the DARE head to multiple studies that showed literally no decrease in youth drug experimentation and in many cases a measurable increase was along the lines of "These studies and data don't mean anything, our DARE officers on the ground know that its effective".

That lines up perfectly with what the DARE officer I had when I was 9 said "Don't go to school if you want to become a cop. College grads know how to read books, not people :smug:"

Literally all anyone was interested in was the suitcase full of examples of drugs, and we were all fascinated by the variety pills and LSD stamps could come in.

I had no clue what drugs even were before that course.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mouse Dresser posted:

I used to work with a girl who hadn't had her first drink until her 23rd birthday, and was convinced that marijuana made you into a homicidal maniac that craved any and all other drugs. She also thought that one hit/snort/shot of alcohol or drugs made you instantly addicted for the rest of your life, because that's what she was taught. She also could not comprehend that drugs made you ]happy or that it felt good.

She assumed that all drugs had the same effect and didn't understand the difference between a stimulant, a depressant, a hallucinogen, etc.

I once asked her why she thought that people did drugs, and beyond assuming they were totally addicted she said "Because someone makes them do it. Forces them to."

Why yes, she was super religious, what gave it away?

The idea of "gateway" drugs is the one that falls apart the quickest, because smoking weed everyday doesn't mean you'll start having to do cocaine to get "high" because they have literally nothing in common. That was one of the big things DARE pushes, the idea that using one substance, tobacco/alcohol/weed means you will be forced to move up the drug hierarchy to crack, meth, and heroin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Pot is a pretty good gateway to more pot though.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Nuebot posted:

Pot is a pretty good gateway to more pot though.

Pot is a pretty good gateway to sitting on your sofa, watching Netflix all day, eating an entire bag of barbecue chips, and getting basically nothing at all accomplished today.

:toot:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mouse Dresser posted:

Pot is a pretty good gateway to sitting on your sofa, watching Netflix all day, eating an entire bag of barbecue chips, and getting basically nothing at all accomplished today.

I remember one time I decided to get really high and eat an entire frozen pizza by myself. The next day my feces were pure black.

Worth it, imo

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

One time I ate some (read: too many) mini pot brownies and they were ridiculously potent and I thought I was going to die.

DARE would have had me believe they were laced with something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pentyne posted:

The idea of "gateway" drugs is the one that falls apart the quickest, because smoking weed everyday doesn't mean you'll start having to do cocaine to get "high" because they have literally nothing in common. That was one of the big things DARE pushes, the idea that using one substance, tobacco/alcohol/weed means you will be forced to move up the drug hierarchy to crack, meth, and heroin.

I always felt like the sort of treatment marijuana gets could unintentionally create the 'gateway' effect they try to shut down. A largely harmless drug gets lumped in with the really rough poo poo, people then take it and A: have a pretty good time and B: don't explode, they start going 'well they lied about this one, they probably lied about others too'.

I have no actual statistics or evidence on this, it just seems like a reasonable sequence of events.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

Eat it suckers, I can do that without needing any pot. STRAIGHT EDGE RULES.

Wanamingo posted:

I remember one time I decided to get really high and eat an entire frozen pizza by myself. The next day my feces were pure black.

Worth it, imo

That's funny, I eat entire frozen pizzas all the time and my poo poo doesn't go black. What the gently caress is wrong with your shits dude?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I always felt like the sort of treatment marijuana gets could unintentionally create the 'gateway' effect they try to shut down. A largely harmless drug gets lumped in with the really rough poo poo, people then take it and A: have a pretty good time and B: don't explode, they start going 'well they lied about this one, they probably lied about others too'.

I have no actual statistics or evidence on this, it just seems like a reasonable sequence of events.

Not even that much. The fact that pot is black market means having to get in-touch with people who have reliable, consistent connections which in-turn means that eventually you're likely to run into people who do and/or can hook you up with heavier poo poo. It's a problem literally created by prohibition.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Nov 2, 2015

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Slime posted:

Eat it suckers, I can do that without needing any pot. STRAIGHT EDGE RULES.

That's funny, I eat entire frozen pizzas all the time and my poo poo doesn't go black. What the gently caress is wrong with your shits dude?

Maybe he ate it straight out of the freezer.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Hell if I know. I basically never do that, maybe my digestive system wasn't used to it or something? :iiam:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Maybe he ate it straight out of the freezer.

How the gently caress else do you eat them? They're FROZEN pizzas. Idiot. Do you let ice cream melt before you eat it too?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wanamingo posted:

Hell if I know. I basically never do that, maybe my digestive system wasn't used to it or something? :iiam:

If your poo poo is black, then you got a problem. That means you got some blood going on in there. If it ever happens again, get thee to a doctor.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think a huge problem with DARE is how early they give their little presentations. They presented to my classroom when I was like 8, and then I didn't get offered any drugs until like ten years later (at which point I said yes :420: ). When I was 8, I had barely even heard of most drugs.

I know when I started getting the anti-drug talks, I was young enough that I freaked out when my dad mentioned he was going to the drugstore.

When I was 5 or 6 I told my mom that I was afraid I was an alcoholic. There were these commercials that said if you were having multiple drinks everyday you might be an alcoholic. I assumed it was some sort of disease that caused excessive thirst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

If your poo poo is black, then you got a problem. That means you got some blood going on in there. If it ever happens again, get thee to a doctor.

Yes, I know. It had a normal consistency and smell so I wasn't concerned about a bleed. Sometimes a significant diet change will just turn your poo a weird color. That actually wasn't the first time I've had that happen, the last time was because I had taken some Pepto Bismol.