Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So I don't get this. Is the cartoonist just butthurt that they voted to scrap the submarine?

Apparently one party can no longer suggest policies that another party has already pursued. Both Scottish Labour and the SNP want Trident scrapped. This makes Scottish Labour bad and unoriginal and they have poopy faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm okay with this one just because I know :tinsley: must have been sent into a frothing scotch-fueled rage at a party calling themselves "Liberal" doing well and the only thing he could think of to reframe it was his old standby of kicking millennials when they're down. You can feel his spite, it's beautiful.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kabanaw posted:

If you asked Bradbury about it right after it was published, it was about the dangers of censorship (which makes a lot of sense, it was written in the McCarthy era), but if you asked him any time after that it was basically about "books good, television (and other random stuff like headphones and c-sections) bad". It's a perfect example for death of the author.

It could be worse: Aldous Huxley intended part of the dystopian horror of Brave New World to come from the idea that women in an gender-egalitarian society with unconditional access to birth control might be able to have or not have sex with whoever they wanted.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jesus Christ, I hate the retarded bullshit that people think is worth still teaching schools even though it's outdated. (Yes, I know this cartoon is super dumb because kids know what a clock is.)

People I went to high school with who have kids now bitch that kids aren't learning cursive in schools. I point out that there is literally no modern day applicable use for cursive so why waste time teaching it in school when kids are barely learning math and basic reading comprehension and they come back with some hippie bullshit about how their autistic kids get so much out of learning cursive and it makes your brain work in a different way or something.

I mean that's cool and everything but maybe you can teach your kids that on your own or get them special lessons instead of insisting that every kid has to learn it because of your special snowflake.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

This thing only happened 13 days ago. He must have done 3 different cartoons ahead of time in order to get it out so fast.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Yes, drunk duck; college students have no idea what Canada is. :rolleyes:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Doc Hawkins posted:

It could be worse: Aldous Huxley intended part of the dystopian horror of Brave New World to come from the idea that women in an gender-egalitarian society with unconditional access to birth control might be able to have or not have sex with whoever they wanted.

Society in Brave New World is structured to encourage constant casual sex with no thought or emotional commitment as part of a wider scheme to promote consumption and compliance. There's an argument to be made that there is a misogynistic element to this view of casual sex, but the horror comes from a much broader context than simply women having agency.

Even if that was somehow his intended point, his position must have changed, since in the utopia Huxley describes in Island also features widespread birth control in a gender-egalitarian society.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

"I use Wagner, Scares the hell out of the teabaggers. My boys love it!"

Also the Liberal party in Canada is basically supposed to be in favor of the same garbage economic policies that conservatives like but without the hatred of women and minorities right?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

"Da-dunnaa-dah dahhad-dundah daddah-dunah" is not the 'Ride of the Valkyries". :colbert:

How do you mess that up?

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 2, 2015

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kabanaw posted:

If you asked Bradbury about it right after it was published, it was about the dangers of censorship (which makes a lot of sense, it was written in the McCarthy era), but if you asked him any time after that it was basically about "books good, television (and other random stuff like headphones and c-sections) bad". It's a perfect example for death of the author.

He wrote an essay at some point which said it was about about how people were eschewing personal interaction with each other in favor of playing with their gizmos and this was bad. Never thought it was supported all that well by the text, but it's a well-known enough explanation for the book to suit my point. Science fiction has been tossing around questions about how free thought and individuality factor into one's definition of humanity and how technology could be helping or hindering it for decades now; as another poster pointed out, modern zombie media jumped on the concept almost immediately after it's creation because it was such a natural fit. 'People with their phones are like zombies' is an old complaint in new packaging, made all the more trite and vapid by the veneer of 'edgy' the artist give it. They might as well have given everyone fleecy coats because they're sheeple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The hatches are in the wrong place, but apart from that Kal has actually drawn Obama and Putin sitting on the correct current MBTs for their army. That's what research looks like, Tinsley, if your eyesight isn't too blurred to see it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

WarpedNaba posted:

Of this cartoonist, let it always be said
His opinions were good but his words never read.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tobermory posted:

"Da-dunnaa-dah dahhad-dundah daddah-dunah" is not the 'Ride of the Valkyries". :colbert:

How do you mess that up?

Jesus wept, its Beethoven's Fifth.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Plot Twist: It's A Fifth of Beethoven.

DbD was a liberal false flag all along. Everyone has a big disco party. Tea Party tears are shed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFbn8EbB4k

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Someone slap a trump wig on this one and it's golden.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Look at this scrub who hasn't found the 'Take on me' audio tape yet

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, I take it muir decided he didn't like the story he wrote so he's just going back and taking a mulligan?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 2, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tom Guycot posted:

So, I take it muir decided he didn't like the story he wrote so he's just going back and taking a mulligan?

I'm hoping it just keeps jumping back like this further and further through time until they're all back at the American Revolution with the founding fathers who all look like Sam Elliott for some reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

We haven't had a summary of the recent events of Day by Day in a month or two, and Muir is stalling while he waits for us to remind him of the plot.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Twenty years from now, academics desperate to get their papers published will argue that Muir is the greatest cartoonist of all time because of how rigorously he challenges form and narrative convention. Mark my words.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

a horse race is happening tomorrow

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Is there some reason people are getting pissy about daylight savings time this year? I don't remember anything from previous years. I can't understand how people are mad about getting an extra hour of sleep on Saturday.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If your interpretation of these cartoons is that they're pissy about DST, instead of just using it as a setup for a punchline, then I dunno what to tell you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure there are Renaissance limnings of blankly hypnotized undead people staring at these new-fangled printed books that are showing up everywhere.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Sokrates gave a good diss with regards to reading.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zetsubou-san posted:

a horse race is happening tomorrow

You can just feel how desperate pope is to keep coming up with excuses to draw Tony. Not that I blame him, god no.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tom Guycot posted:

You can just feel how desperate pope is to keep coming up with excuses to draw Tony. Not that I blame him, god no.

Turnbull's government just announced that they were (re)scrapping knighthoods, so it's not too much of a stretch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think anyone's posted this Bennett yet

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

We need to increase education about viable solutions to climate change. A good cartoon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

"I use Wagner, Scares the hell out of the teabaggers. My boys love it!"

Also the Liberal party in Canada is basically supposed to be in favor of the same garbage economic policies that conservatives like but without the hatred of women and minorities right?

Yeah the Liberal Party is the party of big business in Canada so they're basically bog-standard neoliberal centrists, meaning they have fairly conservative economic policies, do horrible poo poo like selling undervalued public assets to rich people to pay for stuff instead of raising taxes, and believe in the neoliberal doctrine that if you ever do raise taxes they have to be balanced out 1 to 1 by cutting taxes somewhere else. But simultaneously they don't hate women, Muslims, gay people, young people, or refugees, so they're a noticeable improvement on our conservatives.

loquacius posted:

What a coincidence Bennett, that's exactly how I feel about this cartoon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Bennett channeling Gorrell

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why do we like Bennett?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sometimes he draws a house being torn apart to build a fence and people repurpose koans about him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

Is there some reason people are getting pissy about daylight savings time this year? I don't remember anything from previous years. I can't understand how people are mad about getting an extra hour of sleep on Saturday.

my father has made the same exact jokes about daylight savings time for as long as i have lived

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I feel like this is a question that Stilton himself has, and is hoping someone will answer, but he doesn't want to come off as being concerned about climate change so he had a liberal avatar ask.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Much like Monty Python; Jeb! is not dead yet.
A bad movie reference cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Mike Win posted:

Escalation of Firefighting”. Obama’s stay of troops in Afghanistan and increases in Iraq and Syria are clearly just stopgap measures, nothing to worry about…

vyelkin posted:

What a coincidence Bennett, that's exactly how I feel about this cartoon.

I'm sure he's devastated to hear that

• Locked thread