Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cathair posted:

You or someone else said this before and I still have no idea what you're talking about. First, a 'ship for killing things from a controlled angle in combat missions' describes literally every ship, your shield and armor values are independent of your chassis and nothing can survive fighting smack-dab in the middle of a swarm, unless your poo poo is so OP for that system that you can just laugh off anything.

Second, the Minotaur is quite fast, iirc the next fastest thing to the Sturville. Easily the speediest of the large ships. Are you sure you aren't getting it mixed up with the Manticore?
Its probably me. It might be more my proclivity for the short but slow boost over the null-grav which might be more important for the blockade running missions. But I went from no braining them in the Sturville to getting wrecked in the Minotaur. My description is meant to imply that the Sturville can get out of an ambush (or the middle of the pack in combat missions) that much faster (even if its only several percent) that it makes all the difference in blockade runs. The way shield and armor (and maybe hit boxes? a big ship puts you in range of that many extra ships) work, anything bigger than a frigate is very disincentivized from getting in the middle of things, to the effect that they even get intrinsic broadside range boosts.

Unless I just picked all the unlucky ones even after farming them with the Sturville slightly out of depth for a couple hours to pay for the Minotaur to begin with. I don''t pretend to understand how the difficulty math and mission generation works.

e. TLDR I kind of disliked my time in a Minotaur compared to the Sturville and Blackgate. "Fastest destroyer" is kind of a weird combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Its probably me. It might be more my proclivity for the short but slow boost over the null-grav which might be more important for the blockade running missions. But I went from no braining them in the Sturville to getting wrecked in the Minotaur. My description is meant to imply that the Sturville can get out of an ambush (or the middle of the pack in combat missions) that much faster (even if its only several percent) that it makes all the difference in blockade runs. The way shield and armor (and maybe hit boxes? a big ship puts you in range of that many extra ships) work, anything bigger than a frigate is very disincentivized from getting in the middle of things, to the effect that they even get intrinsic broadside range boosts.

Unless I just picked all the unlucky ones even after farming them with the Sturville slightly out of depth for a couple hours to pay for the Minotaur to begin with. I don''t pretend to understand how the difficulty math and mission generation works.

e. TLDR I kind of disliked my time in a Minotaur compared to the Sturville and Blackgate. "Fastest destroyer" is kind of a weird combination.

I can understand that. I LOVED the Minotaur when I finally grabbed it, but if not for the wonky difficulty spikes situation in the MK4-MK5 systems range I was getting I'd have stuck with the Sturvile forever. Well, that and "Being a fast small ship isn't very satisfying, when I spend 90% of the time engines disbabled thanks to enemies having infinite ammo." EMP shield making it 50% less of a debuff is still annoying when you are debuffed most of the time.

Hitbox sizes is why I jumped into a Manticore from the Sturvile, instead of grabbing the cheaper and overall more heavily ramed Arcturus. Manticore is still small enough to dodge some broadside salvos when moving in on a dreadnaught, but still only had as much broadsides firepower as a Sturvile. Thinning out gunship swarms goes a lot faster with 10 Broadsides than 6, and you get as much practice nailing gunships with multiple broadside salvos as I had.

The final story missions were actually easier than average, because the Virax actually use a lot of smaller fighters. Compared to everyone else using 90% gunships by then.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Klyith posted:

I know where the thread is. :)

I did the things it says to do (get a wolf, pick this start, go after those guys at first) and it improved things a bit, but not enough to make things at all enjoyable. That advice is on page 1, and yet every second page has people asking how to get started. That might, just miiiight, be a sign.

Anyways it's a WIP game, and I had enough fun playing around with the one-off instant battles that the campaign being an unfinished dud didn't make me angry or anything. But it's a game I can't 100% recommend because not only is that a problem for now, it's also something that I'm not sure will ever be fixed. Accessibility matters and I've not seen much progress on that front.

The inverse difficulty curve is one of the game's noted flaws and I believe it's something on the designer's docket once the game is a bit more developed.

The upcoming update may make a significant step in that direction by allowing you to join battles in progress. It means instead of having to hunt down individual Hounds or whatever for grueling, mechanically demanding frigate duels, you can just pile in while a Hegemony fleet is stomping on pirates for some starter money.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

The inverse difficulty curve is one of the game's noted flaws and I believe it's something on the designer's docket once the game is a bit more developed.

The upcoming update may make a significant step in that direction by allowing you to join battles in progress. It means instead of having to hunt down individual Hounds or whatever for grueling, mechanically demanding frigate duels, you can just pile in while a Hegemony fleet is stomping on pirates for some starter money.

I found the start of the game fairly easy myself.

MK1 - MK3, No problems while flying ships sold from the starter sector. Even if my guns were lower MK.

MK6. enemies can't have better equipment than you anymore, which takes the edge off potentially wonky enemy spawning.

That mk4-mk5 range was like playing an entirely different game though, Jesus."Low" difficulty missions in that range were harder than taking "Very hard" missions earlier in the game. Especially if you are in a smaller ship or a less heavily armed destroyer like the Manticore (8 turrets, sure. but only 6 broadsides).

So loving convinced it was spawning ships with equipment MK higher than what was sold in the systems I was playing. Likely compounded by the fact I'd go and grab an extra high MK defense parts early, then go back to fill out my guns. I'd grab MK5 shields/deflectors/hull, when I still had to finish buying a few MK4 turrets and mk4 engine parts, for example.

If mission spawns are more based off your best gear/net worth than what it says on the job board, it would basically explain everything I was seeing.

EDIT: "Oh hey, the mission target dreadnaught that took me forever to kill dropped a mk6 pulse turret!... Don't they sell only MK4 parts here? Oh well, free MK6 gun nothing suspicious here!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 2, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I got this game last week and finally looked in on the thread. This is a fun game; enjoying the Malcom Reynolds vibe.

So I've got my Tannhauser Tannhausen, named Sea Beam :haw:, still dicking around in the first system. Should I bother with Merchant Guild missions at this point or just finish up the story line and leave the starter system?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Get out of the starter system. Money flows way freer further in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MoraleHazard posted:

I got this game last week and finally looked in on the thread. This is a fun game; enjoying the Malcom Reynolds vibe.

So I've got my Tannhauser Tannhausen, named Sea Beam :haw:, still dicking around in the first system. Should I bother with Merchant Guild missions at this point or just finish up the story line and leave the starter system?

Depends if you like cargo or not, the guild cargo extenders are awesome and don't need high rank

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Section Z posted:

I found the start of the game fairly easy myself.

He's talking about Starsector, from a couple of pages ago. I'm not sure how that post (or the one he quoted) made any sense to you at all while thinking it was about Rebel Galaxy.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Get out of the starter system. Money flows way freer further in.

Agreed, but join the Merchant's Guild ASAP in the next system. Merchant's Guild dead drops are some of the best and easiest money in the game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MoraleHazard posted:

Tannhauser Tannhausen, named Sea Beam :haw:

that was my first thought too :D

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Azhais posted:

Depends if you like cargo or not, the guild cargo extenders are awesome and don't need high rank

I'm just going to bang out the Merchant Guild missions I've already accepted.

Also, putting the soundtrack from Homeworld on makes this game sound great. I've put a whole bunch of songs in folders for the game.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, putting the soundtrack from Homeworld on makes this game sound great. I've put a whole bunch of songs in folders for the game.

I'm using a mix of Freespace II and Outcast OST tracks and it's great. Makes me wanna replay Outcast again, drat that game has the best music.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought that graph mapped the price of that commodity at that station over time.

I am 98% sure it does not.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am 98% sure it does not.

For the second time, either the devs are maliciously lying to us for no reason, or you're wrong:

" mediumheadboy [developer posted:

"]
Cap'n Darwin is right with: "Yes, the graph for a particular good is specific to the station you are on. I believe local costs fluctuate based on quantity on hand... Goods in red are selling below the system average by some percentage. Red and a (!) is well below average do to a special event. Buy red. Green is selling higher. So if you can by red special and sell green special you will maximize your profits. White color are goods selling at the average within a percentage."

Excerpt from the bottom of the page here. The other dev comes on with some different specifics at the top of the second page.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Greyjoy is still right. The graph does not represent market value over time. It's simply an average of all the markets within the system, and the highest recorded value price vs. its lowest. Nothing about that graph states anything other than recency of the values given.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
It can't be stressed enough to get out of the first system as quickly as possible. Everything was new and exciting so I stuck around it for quite a while but once I hit mid game I was burned out. I beat it but I never got to touch any of the more expensive ships. Mercenaries stop being useful around MK4 gear range. Hailing anybody doesn't really matter beyond the occasional sell an item to a trader for 50% mark up but even that doesn't matter when all the weapons/modules/ships cost so much money. There is no real reason to trade when hull sizes are so small and missions can make you 50 times what you would hauling poo poo around for a 25% mark up. There are no "quests" outside of the main story line which is incredibly short and it makes me think the prices are as high as they are to artificially extend the game time. Mining never felt useful either but I could totally be missing something there. What little I did early on took so much time for such little payout I never went back to try it out later in the game. There doesn't seem to be much purpose to all the asteroid belts and nebulae floating around. Its just fluff added to make the space you're warping in less empty and I never found anything unique or interesting in them besides a cargo container or two.

All that said it sounds like I'm really down on the game but I'm not at all. I had a lot of fun for whats there. I hope it finds enough success to warrant an expansion or two to really flesh out all the features. Adding some meat and potatoes to the trading, mining, mercenaries and a little world building would do wonders for what is a good starter game. Its definitely an impressive feat for such a small development team and it also runs great. I have a mid range 6 year old computer I put together for about 800 bucks way back when and even I can run it with everything maxed at 1680x1050. Patches are frequent so far and it doesn't seem to be a game that's just dumped to market for a little cash out and forgotten which I see a lot of these days. I'll be interested to see what Double Damage does in the future.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The aliens in this seem to speak North European languages that have been google translated and then read out loud by a VA who has no idea how the languages are really pronounced.

I'm 100% sure the Murath are speaking Finnish (the lines are close enough but grammatically bizarre sometimes), and the collector alien who asks you to raid the monastery in the second system is speaking Norwegian or Swedish after a similar mangling.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Antti posted:

The aliens in this seem to speak North European languages that have been google translated and then read out loud by a VA who has no idea how the languages are really pronounced.

I'm 100% sure the Murath are speaking Finnish (the lines are close enough but grammatically bizarre sometimes), and the collector alien who asks you to raid the monastery in the second system is speaking Norwegian or Swedish after a similar mangling.

The collector is speaking Norwegian, but like you said, it's obvious that the developers just google translated the script to Norwegian, as the words he is actually saying don't always fit the context, and the pronunciation of our special characters (æ ø å) are horribly mangled. At least it's more funny than aggravating, and you're not subjected to it too much. Source: Me. I am Norwegian. The grammar is remarkable though, at least sentence-structure wise.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 2, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Antti posted:

That is in fact exactly what they're speaking, and exactly how the alien dialogue was written. It must be weird for the Swedes & Finns playing the game.

I can see why they did a thing like that, it's fast & easy, but I can't imagine it would have taken more than a few hours of work to mix it up just a little bit. Use a composite of two languages (like google translate and then use 50/50), or choose something further afield than scandinavian ones.

Joe Gillian posted:

Greyjoy is still right. The graph does not represent market value over time. It's simply an average of all the markets within the system, and the highest recorded value price vs. its lowest. Nothing about that graph states anything other than recency of the values given.
"It works like this" -- the game developers

"NUH UH" -- a dumb goon

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Klyith posted:

That is in fact exactly what they're speaking, and exactly how the alien dialogue was written. It must be weird for the Swedes & Finns playing the game.

Excuse me?! :norway:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fanzay posted:

Excuse me?! :norway:
I feel like you're missing the opportunity for a joke about poorly spoken Norwegian being right at home for Swedes.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
Picked this up yesterday and kept going all Sunday afternoon. The game has this addictive "Let me just fly over there real quick..." feel to it like the old Freelancer-style space games.

The broadside cannons add some very fun naval combat feeling. I was pulling in alongside some enemy ships, just shelling it out and taking more damage myself than necessary. It's just more fun that way.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fanzay posted:

The collector is speaking Norwegian, but like you said, it's obvious that the developers just google translated the script to Norwegian, as the words he is actually saying don't always fit the context, and the pronunciation of our special characters (æ ø å) are horribly mangled. At least it's more funny than aggravating, and you're not subjected to it too much. Source: Me. I am Norwegian. The grammar is remarkable though, at least sentence-structure wise.

Klyith posted:

I can see why they did a thing like that, it's fast & easy, but I can't imagine it would have taken more than a few hours of work to mix it up just a little bit. Use a composite of two languages (like google translate and then use 50/50), or choose something further afield than scandinavian ones.

Oh yeah, I think it's funny. The Murath language is so garbled that you need to pay attention to it to hear the original Finnish words. I also hit on the google translate idea because that's exactly how I would go about creating a synthetic language quick and dirty.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What are those antimatter launcher turrets like. Their damage and range seem impressive but are they actually any use in practice?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

So I'm using an Icarus and every turret is a mining laser (Mk3 is all I got the money for). It seems to be an incredible murder machine for its size. I've tried a few other combos of turrets but I've found none that seem more effective. Shield Buster + Particle Laser seemed okay, but once the busters ran out of ammo the effeciveness dropped. What other good combos are there?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

"It works like this" -- the game developers

"NUH UH" -- a dumb goon

And the dumb goon is even extra wrong, because that graph is very obviously the local station price over time, not system average, because whatever price the goods are at at this very instant is on the graph.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just in case anyone else was wondering (did not see it clearly stated in the last few pages), the system average is the average price for the trade good across the game, I think, according to this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/290300/discussions/1/490124466459592126/

So it's not averaging the values in the system, but the price everywhere.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

travis posted:

The horizontal line on the graph is the baseline 'average cost' of the item, and the graph tracks the price of that good, on that station, over I believe 20 'days'. A day is about 1 minute of game time.
I am a big dumb. Sorry folks.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Eldragon posted:

So I'm using an Icarus and every turret is a mining laser (Mk3 is all I got the money for). It seems to be an incredible murder machine for its size. I've tried a few other combos of turrets but I've found none that seem more effective. Shield Buster + Particle Laser seemed okay, but once the busters ran out of ammo the effeciveness dropped. What other good combos are there?

I used a pulse turret and a particle on top with mining lasers on the side for point defense iirc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That graph would be way more useful if it just said what it did, and have a second chart that remembered the most recent prices I've seen with my own eyeballs. But knowing the midline is based on actual reality helps somewhat.

Although I'm only about halfway through the game I might put it down for a month or so, I feel like it's not done evolving and I don't wanna wear it out.

That, and holding down a mouse button, swiveling my mouse left and right, and clicking constantly with my other finger is just not a good exercise to do repeatedly. I wonder if they'd consider something a little more automated for folks with RSI.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Daimo posted:

I used a pulse turret and a particle on top with mining lasers on the side for point defense iirc.

Seconding that either a Pulse Turret or Beam Turret of some kind set to "Fighters Only" will get you more overall mileage than flak or swarm turrets. I noticed a large difference when I used even just a pulse turret set to Anti-Fighter compared to Flak or Swarm.

Scatter Turrets I actually like, so long as you have the Turret range extender part equipped. So many fighters lobbing shots and missiles at you just outside of it's sub 2m range by default. (which is also another issue the Flak Turret has).

doctorfrog posted:

That graph would be way more useful if it just said what it did, and have a second chart that remembered the most recent prices I've seen with my own eyeballs. But knowing the midline is based on actual reality helps somewhat.

Although I'm only about halfway through the game I might put it down for a month or so, I feel like it's not done evolving and I don't wanna wear it out.

That, and holding down a mouse button, swiveling my mouse left and right, and clicking constantly with my other finger is just not a good exercise to do repeatedly. I wonder if they'd consider something a little more automated for folks with RSI.

Try out a ship with more turrets. No, seriously. I actually wanted more Broadsides so I went with the Tennhousen. But very early game, the Scarab is a sweet ship with 7 turrets (and 3 broadsides).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 3, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

doctorfrog posted:

I agree with that as a good feature in general. I wish I could set things like the secondary, deflector, and booster keys to a toggle without autohotkey or something. And I play on a controller.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 3, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are you guys that have fighter issues targeting with your broadsides? The beam cannon broadside is a 100% one shot of any fighter if you let it lock all the way in to 100% charged/aimed. With the long duration boosters you can just out run anything and obliterate one small craft every shot.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I kinda feel like running the highest value Merchant's Guild missions for a few hours kinda completely broke the campaign for me. poo poo could still be a little overwhelming when i was truckin' around in a Deep Horizon with subpar turrets, but even then I was able to get the best armour and shields in the game really early (like four Merch Guild missions in, long before i could even buy the space trucks), and even after farting around a bit I managed to get to the Blackgate surprisingly quickly, and slap any Mk6 broadsides I wanted on it even quicker, which the campaign doesn't ever scale to.

I seriously beat the final mission by just spinning in circles wildly spamming broadsides in all directions without ever properly aiming. It made the campaign ending feel pretty abrupt actually, and that on top of the "unreachable" system being a real dud of a bog-standard UNAMBIGUOUS SPACE BAD GUY place and the jumpgate-anywhere thing being a lame plot device and nothing else makes the campaign probably the most disappointing part of the whole package, even after going in with fairly low expectations. I don't think it should have scaled the enemies like some Oblivion poo poo, I just wish there was more to the campaign, like proper branching paths and a better sense of multiple approaches, the latter of which already felt lacking after I had gotten in good with the Red Devils and they still attacked me when I tried for the first Reliquary piece because they were the DESIGNATED CAMPAIGN MISSION BADDIE.

The campaign stuff only really opened up when it was vague boilerplate "go get this thing I don't care how you do it" stuff, and that's just because it designates the objective the same way any standard off-the-board mission like that does. I feel like a lot of this design comes from Double Damage coming off of Torchlight and Diablo campaign design, which is also pretty straightforward and rarely very systemically strong or accommodating towards radically different approaches (beyond "use other equipment to fight goodly"). It's a bummer, since everything else is designed to be so free-form and it really does not jive with that at all.

Between the lackluster campaign, the lack of more fleshed out side stories, and the limited ability to side with the "baddies" (perhaps due to being a space racist), I feel like this game really could use an expansion. Maybe not a full-on sequel, though I certainly wouldn't mind one, it just seems like something that needs a big enough follow-up to really deliver on some of the unfulfilled potential on display.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gwaihir posted:

Are you guys that have fighter issues targeting with your broadsides? The beam cannon broadside is a 100% one shot of any fighter if you let it lock all the way in to 100% charged/aimed. With the long duration boosters you can just out run anything and obliterate one small craft every shot.

Even half aiming at least one of the beams will hit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've set all my turrets to capital-only because my neutron broadsides and Steve handle fighters fine.

Edit: In the mission 'fragment in motion'
I escorted merchant-guy and he docked with the station, then I iced everything nearby. But I couldn't dock with the station. Do I really have to clear out the entire huge ring of hostiles to proceed? Because if so I'm blowing that guy out of space on my next try.
(I tried to warp out to fight them, overshot, and autofailed)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 3, 2015

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Finally made it to the viridian laser club. Got one off a special cargo crate in the middle of nowhere, another off a bounty hunt on a capital ship for those talking honey badger guys. Sad thing is, they're just mk2, and I'm cracking into affording mk4 equipment. They still outshined the hell out of the mk3 pulse turrets they replaced.

I'm guessing it'll take a small miracle to find better versions of viridian turrets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

5er posted:

Finally made it to the viridian laser club. Got one off a special cargo crate in the middle of nowhere, another off a bounty hunt on a capital ship for those talking honey badger guys. Sad thing is, they're just mk2, and I'm cracking into affording mk4 equipment. They still outshined the hell out of the mk3 pulse turrets they replaced.

I'm guessing it'll take a small miracle to find better versions of viridian turrets.

I'm in mostly mk5 gear and still have a mk1 veridian because it is awesome at killing fighters

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Whoever thought these stations were a good idea?

That said I love missions for 1.5mil where I just park up and watch youtube vids while everything explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Illegal Username posted:

This post is objectively right. I'm having great fun running risky trade missions WAY out of my depth in dangerous sectors. Sure, i can't even scratch those ships but good luck catching me, scrubs. I'm thinking of swapping my flak cannons for heatseekers just to check them out.

I actually like the heatseakers. If I get into one of those dicey fleet fights where there are tons of small poo poo flitting about I'll just fire off all of my heatseakers and bore in on the big ships. By the time I'm lining up my first broadside most of the small poo poo is dead, and odds are I've crippled at least one capital ship with leftover missiles.

• Locked thread