Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

who cares? if you didn't want to do the above and you were at-will employee you would have no ethical or contractual obligation to do so.

"gently caress you, got mine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

So It Goes posted:

Not really, just exercising the same rights the company has.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jummy posted:

My company has frequent layoffs, but they do so with fairly generous severances. They don't need to do that either, but they do because it's not a dick move. I'd give them the same courtesy, because it's not a dick move.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

My company has frequent layoffs, but they do so with fairly generous severances. They don't need to do that either, but they do because it's not a dick move. I'd give them the same courtesy, because it's not a dick move.

The hospital I mentioned earlier fired an employee because they refused to sign a contract for "voluntary" training. gently caress 'em.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Jummy posted:

ESPN almost certainly would have given severance upon termination.

If you hate your employer, then sure do whatever, no one is arguing it is a legal requirement or anything. The whole context of how that came up is with the Grantland writers, and those people intentionally not giving notice at Simmons request (assuming that article is even true, which to be fair might not be) doesn't screw over ESPN who doesn't give a poo poo and was apparently ready for Grantland to end, it screws over Grantland itself, especially the remaining staff that now needs to work extra to do their editing jobs, or publish unedited articles or something. All I ever said to start this was, taking the deadspin article at face value, it is a "douche move" to request your new hires specifically not to give notice of there imminent depature. Can't believe how controversial that is, or why some people keep talking about contractual and legal obligations, when all I ever said was its a "douche move".

Dutchy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone do the "gently caress you got mine" thing where the "you" in question is a gigantic corporation

Do you consider Grantland a gigantic corporation? Do you really think not giving notice of incoming staffage shortage doesn't hurt Grantland?

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2015

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

So It Goes posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone do the "gently caress you got mine" thing where the "you" in question is a gigantic corporation

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

Eh, in this situation, you can also group former co-workers into that, too. Which is kinda lovely.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Because they're not on contract. Plus maybe they knew it was getting shut down. At will means there is literally no security.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

So It Goes posted:

I'm more commenting on the fact that he's using the fact that he made a reasonable decision as some sort of evidence of there being a moral maxim or as though he's virtuous to do what he did. Of course if you like your employer you can be decent to them, but you have no obligation to be decent EVEN if you do like them AND it doesn't reflect poorly upon you if you choose not to, given the terms of your contact.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 2, 2015

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

zakharov posted:

I left my last job on amicable terms, and gave notice so I could prepare for the next person to take over and make sure that my coworkers were ready for the interim period. Maybe the nonprofit world is less full of assholes?

Non-profit world is definitely full of assholes. The way you leave depends on your personal circumstances, I'm in what I think is a very good situation and would do my best to accommodate my department but know other people in the company who wouldn't and don't think they're wrong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

leokitty posted:

Non-profit world is definitely full of assholes.

God, it is. I spent two years working part-time doing online marketing for a local non-profit, and one Friday morning I got called into HR and was informed they were merging my position with IT for a new full-time position, because ... well, they both involve computers, so clearly that makes sense. :wtc:

I wound up working there for another two and a half months before moving to Baltimore for a new gig because they had no concept of how monstrously stupid it was to imagine that managing a complex IT system was in no way a complementary skill set to drafting and implementing marketing strategies, and couldn't get anyone to interview for the job. I don't think they filled it until three or four months after I left, and that dude left after like six months. Last I heard they split the positions again.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 2, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Worked at a non-profit for three years. Worked my way up from intern to a full-time employee. Was advised I was let go due to budget cuts from the economic mess in ~2009 via a loving letter

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spoeank posted:

Worked at a non-profit for three years. Worked my way up from intern to a full-time employee. Was advised I was let go due to budget cuts from the economic mess in ~2009 via a loving letter

Hell, I've been working at a hotel for more than a year but had to go on FMLA due to some really severe health issues. Under FMLA, your job is protected during the entire time you're on leave; your employer doesn't pay you and your income is from short-term disability insurance, similar to maternity leave.

Two days after I went back to work, I got a letter saying that I was out of a job. At-will employment. :suicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Timby posted:

Two days after I went back to work, I got a letter saying that I was out of a job. At-will employment. :suicide:

I'm not a lawyer but did you talk to one? I'm pretty sure that's a flagrant flouting of the FMLA that they'd have a hard time justifying in court. The FMLA and its ilk supersede at-will employment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can lose your job on flma. Anyways he wasn't on flma when he was fired.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Man, it would really be good for this thread for Whitlock to say something dumb right about now.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

how about a sunday night dump

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller
John Skipper met w/ @ChrisConnelly away from @espn offices to tell him @Grantland33 was over 1 week before staff & public were informed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Vertical Lime posted:

how about a sunday night dump

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller
John Skipper met w/ @ChrisConnelly away from @espn offices to tell him @Grantland33 was over 1 week before staff & public were informed.

Looks like Chris won't be on the Bill Simmons Podcast any time soon.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How is that Connelys fault?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well that's not, but reading between the lines rather a lot on the podcast with Wesley Morris you do get the sense that there could exist some tension between Simmons and Connelly. What with Simmons talking about the conversation he and Morris had shortly before he got canned; how things were going to play out lined up with how they did play out. But that could also be reading non-existent tea leaves.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

howe_sam posted:

Well that's not, but reading between the lines rather a lot on the podcast with Wesley Morris you do get the sense that there could exist some tension between Simmons and Connelly. What with Simmons talking about the conversation he and Morris had shortly before he got canned; how things were going to play out lined up with how they did play out. But that could also be reading non-existent tea leaves.

I got that sense too.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

Amazon is pretty close to this actually, for both their warehouse and "white collar" staff. They track everything.

I've heard this too. I've met dozens of people that have worked for Amazon and all but a few hated it. The only ones that didn't only liked it because of "all the overtime" (mandatory OT there which is a huge negative at least in my eyes).

I work a blue collar factory job and spend half of my shift on my cell phone and nobody ever bothers me as long as I do my work. There is also OT available every day if I want it, and if I don't they simply ask the next person in line. It's not glamorous but god drat do I feel lucky compared to people working at a place like Amazon.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

howe_sam posted:

I got that sense too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ty1990 posted:

I've heard this too. I've met dozens of people that have worked for Amazon and all but a few hated it.

This is the future, where corporations like Google and Facebook expect female employees to freeze their eggs so they don't have their important careers interrupted by pesky babies. And Amazon's working conditions are known by everyone to be terrible. They're getting sued over it, and their response to the lawsuit was to release the suing employees' personnel reviews saying "look, they were bad employees anyway, of course they're gonna be mad we fired them!"

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure why, especially after the Whitlock experiment was a disaster. But at least they're trying? It's still unclear if the site is going to tackle actual issues or not. I tend to think no.

Race talk can get clicks. Especially race talk in sports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What if Michael Vick was white?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

soggybagel posted:

What if Michael Vick was white?

probably would have been rottweilers not pits

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chris Connelly speaks!

Interesting read, especially the part where he says the four editors who left did give two weeks notice:

quote:

They gave us two weeks notice, as they should have done. I don’t know anything about that report, but these are classy people, Mallory Rubin, Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman and Chris Ryan.They are all good people who did amazing work at Grantland. I was very sad to lose them and the site was sad to lose them. I thought all along it was important that we acknowledge the great work they did.

midwat
May 6, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Chris Connelly speaks!

Interesting read, especially the part where he says the four editors who left did give two weeks notice:

I am sure ESPN immediately went out and hired four editors for the publication they were about to shutter, so the remaining editors were not overtaxed.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

midwat posted:

I am sure ESPN immediately went out and hired four editors for the publication they were about to shutter, so the remaining editors were not overtaxed.

Official replay was, "Editors? I thought we got rid of all of them in the last purge before this last one?"

e- didn't mean to screw up the sentence but gently caress it it works

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the idea that grantland got shut down because the editorial staff blindsided espn with their resignations was ridiculous anyways. even if the four who left to go work with simmons didn't give notice grantland was losing rembert browne, andy greenwald, dan fierman, wesley morris and probably others who did give notice and they seemingly made no attempt to replace them. the writing was on the wall

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
So this proves that Deadspin is full of poo poo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

Man, it would really be good for this thread for Whitlock to say something dumb right about now.

"Showing up to work is an important part of going to work."

--Jason Whitlock

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

This proves that using a single anonymous source is generally a bad idea.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Henchman of Santa posted:

This proves that using a single anonymous source is generally a bad idea.

Sure, if your intent is accurate reporting. If your intent is generating clicks, however...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

Rough couple weeks for Greg Howard.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

howe_sam posted:

Chris Connelly speaks!

Next time Greg Howard lets someone ghost write a press release for him to publish maybe he should fact check it.

I wonder if he is e-mailing Bill Simmons now saying Craggs inserted that line about no two week notice being given.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

Rough couple weeks for Greg Howard.

Whitlock Was Right

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

Next time Greg Howard lets someone ghost write a press release for him to publish maybe he should fact check it.

I wonder if he is e-mailing Bill Simmons now saying Craggs inserted that line about no two week notice being given.

At the very least Deadspin should be smart enough to make their headlines say something like "Source: Grantland died because yadda yadda" instead of "How Grantland Died." I feel like there wouldn't be a huge drop in clicks because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

At the very least Deadspin should be smart enough to make their headlines say something like "Source: Grantland died because yadda yadda" instead of "How Grantland Died." I feel like there wouldn't be a huge drop in clicks because of that.

At this point, Gawker as a whole seems to have thrown caution to the wind and has just said "gently caress it" about using any sort of tact or common sense which probably means the Hogan suit hits them soon.

It's not to say they haven't before, but at this point it seems like they're past the point of giving a poo poo at all.