Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Illinois Smith posted:

The whole June Drives Off To Crazytown thing was funny when she organically went down her rabbit hole about monkey actors but now whenever she has a question we first have to get through two minutes of preemptive chuckling and THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD YOU GUYS

Her shinning moment for me is still in The island of Dr. Moreau and her amazement that it was an actual actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

HDTGM needs to stop trying to recreate the reaction to "what is a Street Fighter?", because it feels like they keep trying to make every June question into that.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

The whole June Drives Off To Crazytown thing was funny when she organically went down her rabbit hole about monkey actors but now whenever she has a question we first have to get through two minutes of preemptive chuckling and THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD YOU GUYS

Yeah, it's strange that people seem to forget June is a comedian setting out to be intentionally funny and not some unhinged space cadet. There have been some inappropriate freak-outs on recent episodes about some of her observations I thought were insightful or funny.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

It's also tiring when they try to shoehorn her into the "expert" bit. It used to be she'd say a bunch of stuff from her understanding and be labeled a laser expert, but now it's like "that car just looked really weird to me"
Jason: are you saying you're a car expert June?

(I still love the show)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm sure the Flophouse and HDTGM have great episodes and moments but they didn't tickle my funny bone as much as WHM does pretty much every episode. I'll try each of them again sometime, maybe a different episode will help it click.

Introduced my dad to WHM during a road trip a few weeks ago, he got a kick out of Hard Target, The Core, and Red Heat. Really wanted to share Gymkata too but that's not on the app; what's the best way to download an episode from before Boondock II?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

kalensc posted:

I'm sure the Flophouse and HDTGM have great episodes and moments but they didn't tickle my funny bone as much as WHM does pretty much every episode. I'll try each of them again sometime, maybe a different episode will help it click.

Introduced my dad to WHM during a road trip a few weeks ago, he got a kick out of Hard Target, The Core, and Red Heat. Really wanted to share Gymkata too but that's not on the app; what's the best way to download an episode from before Boondock II?

http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html if you are just on a computer vs needing a direct RSS feed

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
We Hate Movies doing The Matrix Revolutions was amazing. I have to say that the Agent Smith Facebook gag was one of the funniest loving things I've heard in a long time.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Billy Gnosis posted:

http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html if you are just on a computer vs needing a direct RSS feed

Oh yeah, I'm dumb and never noticed the Direct Download text, thanks!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

kalensc posted:

If you've seen animated travesty, Foodfight!, that was my jumping-off point for The Flophouse when I was having trouble getting into it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tracula posted:

We Hate Movies doing The Matrix Revolutions was amazing. I have to say that the Agent Smith Facebook gag was one of the funniest loving things I've heard in a long time.

I think it would make a great prank to pull on these forums for a day

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I don't really know how RSS feeds work. Is there a way to use Downcast's Add Podcast Manually feature to put the backlog of WHM into it?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Tracula posted:

Thanks for reminding me. I needed a reason post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXBmuVziDE

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Grant DaNasty posted:

Thanks for reminding me. I needed a reason post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXBmuVziDE

:allears: Absolutely perfect.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love that the last couple WHM episodes have some clips in them again.

Also, weird-rear end timing that yesterday's Spontaneanation had a 45-minute improv scene that was built around a parody of this movie with the word MEATIER subbed in. I think PFT tapes those months in advance too.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 27, 2015

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Even weirder, the guys said that Steven Kings romani curse should be "METEOR"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Like a lot of people in this thread, I haven't listened to How Did This Get Made in a while because it got so loving gimmicky, but the oral histories coming out about the movies featured on it are justifying its continued existence. Vampire in Brooklyn was just covered, and as with previous oral histories its pretty good, with an impressive roster of people who worked on the movie sharing their thoughts on it. It has an extremely disturbing section about a stuntwoman by the name of Sonja Davis was fatally injured on set.

Mark Irwin, Cinematogropher posted:

Sadly, her brother was the only one filming the accident, on a video camera, and that night he sold it to “American Whatever,” one of those tabloid shows. You know, “Hollywood tragedy caught on tape.” I think that’s what did the family in, legally. I don’t know how the lawsuit turned out, but yeah, it was on TV almost immediately.
:stare: :wtf:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Demon Knight rules and Crabin is a fuckin dope!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tracula posted:

I've tried to listen to How Did This Get Made a few times and it has always seemed so lovely and forced. It's not fun and seems so goddamn staged. Am I alone in this?

No, you're not alone. It sucks. It sometimes manages to be tolerable when they are able to let someone describe the movie, but too much of the time it's everyone trying to talk over each other.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, you're not alone. It sucks. It sometimes manages to be tolerable when they are able to let someone describe the movie, but too much of the time it's everyone trying to talk over each other.

I was just listening to the episode released on Death Spa, and it's really bad. Talking over one another, like you said, Jason getting really upset because some shoddy writing didn't spell out "there ghost is moving from her brother to the computer and then out to other things like the diving board or wall tiles"... They're picking on really stupid stuff to try to justify it being a big live episode.

Is June on the show because she is dating Scheer? They alluded to that in this episode, and if so, holy gently caress dude.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
If by dating you mean "married with a baby boy", then I guess? But they met through the UCB, because they're both comedians/actors.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rotinaj posted:

I was just listening to the episode released on Death Spa, and it's really bad. Talking over one another, like you said, Jason getting really upset because some shoddy writing didn't spell out "there ghost is moving from her brother to the computer and then out to other things like the diving board or wall tiles"... They're picking on really stupid stuff to try to justify it being a big live episode.

Is June on the show because she is dating Scheer? They alluded to that in this episode, and if so, holy gently caress dude.

The worst ones for me were the Sleepaway Camp episode where they spent an absurd amount of time arguing about a really minor plot detail (I think it was how a character was related to another), and Super Mario Brothers, which was filled with so much bickering I had to stop half way through. When started regularly hitting the "skip 10 seconds button" on my podcast player to try and avoid the bickering I realized it was time to delete it from my feed.

The weirdest one was The Odd Life of Timothy Green - they all... Liked it. And talked about how it made them cry. Huh? Tim Heidecker was a guest on that episode so my guess was he was loving with them, or convinced all of them to go along with the joke. Because that movie is batshit stupid.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They cry at a lot of movies. It's practically a running gag.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I listened to a bunch of it on a 12 hour road trip to Montreal and since it was stuff like Street Fighter and Mac and Me it was fun. But once you listen to WHM, you realize that HDTGM has one glaring flaw: they know nothing about the movies they're getting into on these shows, whereas the WHM guys will have seen something like Jason X 12 times (except Steve) and don't spend all their time asking "wait, what am I watching?" I've also always thought Paul Scheer seems like a nice, affable guy to know who is a good friend but not funny at all and you wish he would concentrate on something he's good at rather than attempt comedy.

I greatly enjoy the humor of WHM and the knowledge they have is equally as compelling for me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really like HDTGM because I don't need or want a cogent plot synopsis or legitimate critiques and take-downs of the movie. I just want the jokes.

WHM is funny too. I could never get into Flophouse.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

I listened to a bunch of it on a 12 hour road trip to Montreal and since it was stuff like Street Fighter and Mac and Me it was fun. But once you listen to WHM, you realize that HDTGM has one glaring flaw: they know nothing about the movies they're getting into on these shows, whereas the WHM guys will have seen something like Jason X 12 times (except Steve) and don't spend all their time asking "wait, what am I watching?" I've also always thought Paul Scheer seems like a nice, affable guy to know who is a good friend but not funny at all and you wish he would concentrate on something he's good at rather than attempt comedy.

I greatly enjoy the humor of WHM and the knowledge they have is equally as compelling for me.

Have you watched The League? He's very funny on that. He's also got some ridiculous appearances on Comedy bang bang that are pretty great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Also Human Giant.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HDTGM for me is never about the movies (I've seen maybe one or two of them), it's about the comedians. You have to separate the movie from the performance and just listen to it as a bunch of comedians making jokes about a subject, the subject being a bad movie, not about comedians criticizing a movie.

radlum
May 13, 2013

piratepilates posted:

HDTGM for me is never about the movies (I've seen maybe one or two of them), it's about the comedians. You have to separate the movie from the performance and just listen to it as a bunch of comedians making jokes about a subject, the subject being a bad movie, not about comedians criticizing a movie.

Yeah. I think it has been established before that the main 3 bad movie podcast serve different purposes. WHM is the best at dissecting the movie piece by piece and making jokes about the movie (and some running gags); HDTGM is about the comedians and the guests and The Flop House is about the tangents and the host's characters (HDTGM is the worst because of all the ads tough)

Also, haven't listened to the Death Spa one because who cares about Horatio Sanz? Just give me more Adam Scott and Andy Daly.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

piratepilates posted:

I agree, but they've been doing this long enough to be able to not constantly yell over each other. I like the show a lot, but I find that extremely frustrating. I know we blow WHM a lot, but not only are they funny, they let each other finish a joke. That's pretty important, especially when you've got a low key performer like Eric.

My favorite Eric joke had, like, a three second pause between the setup and punchline. It was hysterical, and it wouldn't have happened on any of the other movie podcasts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What's the difference between Ingrid Bergman and Ingmar Bergman?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What's the difference between Ingrid Bergman and Ingmar Bergman?

I think you mean Russ Meyer,

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

DangerDummy! posted:

I agree, but they've been doing this long enough to be able to not constantly yell over each other. I like the show a lot, but I find that extremely frustrating. I know we blow WHM a lot, but not only are they funny, they let each other finish a joke. That's pretty important, especially when you've got a low key performer like Eric.

My favorite Eric joke had, like, a three second pause between the setup and punchline. It was hysterical, and it wouldn't have happened on any of the other movie podcasts.

And they often go off on tangents about things they say don't make sense, even if they're blatantly explained. It feels in general a lot less fair to the movies and more mean-spirited than WHM.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

ArtVandelay posted:

Have you watched The League? He's very funny on that. He's also got some ridiculous appearances on Comedy bang bang that are pretty great.

I've watched The League, but it wasn't for me. Maybe it would grow on me if I watched more. CBB and HG are two unfortunate holes in my comedy viewing.

Anyone here ever been to a HDTGM or WHM live show? How'd that go? I have tickets for a future WHM show.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I know I'm a few days late but a theatre full of people and no one walked on stage to slap the mic outta Sanz' hand while proclaiming, "motherfucker, you're a star of boat trip, an hour and a half of poo poo gay jokes, you don't get to snark on other movies."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

WHM doesn't ever feel 'rushed'. HDTGM feels like they're punching the clock at forty minutes so they can justify their ad times. I'm a fan of HDTGM but it's got some huge flaws. It could be so much better in the right hands.

My favourite thing about WHM is that they actually seem to be friends and appreciate each other. Even when in host mode, Andrew actually laughs at Eric or Steve's bits. It's not a competition. They also seem to appreciate each other's film knowledge - see the F13 On-Screen, where some vague deference is given to Crabin's actual job as a critic.

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 2, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dr. Lariat posted:

I know I'm a few days late but a theatre full of people and no one walked on stage to slap the mic outta Sanz' hand while proclaiming, "motherfucker, you're a star of boat trip, an hour and a half of poo poo gay jokes, you don't get to snark on other movies."
So does this mean Jon Stewart doesn't get to riff on movies?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So does this mean Jon Stewart doesn't get to riff on movies?

Not anymore.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
It's weird that We Hate Movies comes across as so much less mean spirited. You wouldn't think so from the title, but they're very good about pointing out when things actually DO work, even in a lovely movie. The only one that I remember them passionately hating was North, which is probably justified.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I dunno they seem angry a lot. But I haven't listened to HDTGM in a while so if thats what you're comparing it to I guess I don't have a frame of reference. I do question the mental state of the guys though. I mean I've seem the vast majority of the movies they've reviewed, but I also like dumb movies so I seek them out, but inevitably one of them will say "WELL I GOTTA CONFESS GUYS I SAW THIS 4 TIMES IN THE THEATER" I mean I can certainly see why you'd see it once, or if it was a schlock horror movie you had on VHS as a kid, but so often they'll have seen it several times in the original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drunkboxer posted:

I dunno they seem angry a lot. But I haven't listened to HDTGM in a while so if thats what you're comparing it to I guess I don't have a frame of reference. I do question the mental state of the guys though. I mean I've seem the vast majority of the movies they've reviewed, but I also like dumb movies so I seek them out, but inevitably one of them will say "WELL I GOTTA CONFESS GUYS I SAW THIS 4 TIMES IN THE THEATER" I mean I can certainly see why you'd see it once, or if it was a schlock horror movie you had on VHS as a kid, but so often they'll have seen it several times in the original run.

I've heard them talk about just walking around and deciding to go see a movie, any movie, which is frankly a baffling practice to me. I never go see a film in theaters unless I've planned to or someone asks me and I've got a reasonable interest in the film/they promise to get me trashed.