Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, I'm not advocating time based events. Just that there's so much content to unlock that it takes me a few years to see it all at an average pace.

I don't mind everything not being unlocked in year 1 but I'd prefer things locked behind other limitations other than time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If I'm reading correctly the 2 year mark is just where you get rated based on the quality of your farm or whatever, but there's not anything you can do before 2 years is up that you can't also do after it. So it's just an unofficial end to the game if you want there to be an ending.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Met posted:

Yeah, I'm not advocating time based events. Just that there's so much content to unlock that it takes me a few years to see it all at an average pace.

I don't mind everything not being unlocked in year 1 but I'd prefer things locked behind other limitations other than time.

I don't care about unlocking things, even if it's just waiting for them. It's when things get removed or irreversibly changed that I don't like. I haven't played Harvest Moon in many years but IIRC villagers would die and be gone forever and oops hope you did everything with them you could otherwise oh well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The two year thing is actually what the original Harvest Moon did, if I recall correctly - at the end of year two, the Harvest Goddess shows up and grades you. It was actually kinda cool to get a grade, then play again and see how you've improved from learning all the systems on your first playthrough.

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't care about unlocking things, even if it's just waiting for them. It's when things get removed or irreversibly changed that I don't like. I haven't played Harvest Moon in many years but IIRC villagers would die and be gone forever and oops hope you did everything with them you could otherwise oh well.

Yeah this would be pretty awful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think that was mostly an old harvest moon thing. None of the newer ones do that, IIRC.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If I'm reading correctly the 2 year mark is just where you get rated based on the quality of your farm or whatever, but there's not anything you can do before 2 years is up that you can't also do after it. So it's just an unofficial end to the game if you want there to be an ending.
He didn't even go that far. I thought it was pretty clear that two years was just the average "I've done everything" date for productive workers. He said nothing about a score at two years, or locking events by time or anything. He implied that if you're taking your time with things that point would be later.

He's basically just saying that there's enough poo poo to keep you occupied with new stuff for two years if you keep on top of things. I mean, it's too bad there's not infinite content, but two years is a good chunk of time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

He didn't even go that far. I thought it was pretty clear that two years was just the average "I've done everything" date for productive workers. He said nothing about a score at two years, or locking events by time or anything. He implied that if you're taking your time with things that point would be later.

He's basically just saying that there's enough poo poo to keep you occupied with new stuff for two years if you keep on top of things. I mean, it's too bad there's not infinite content, but two years is a good chunk of time.

I got that from the quote in the OP

quote:

Compete to become the next Stardew Hero. You'll have two years on the farm to prove your abilities... if you do well enough, you might even beat out the competition to win the coveted title of Stardew Hero! [* This doesn't mean the game ends after 2 years. Just you're judged on how well you've done after 2 years, at which point you can keep playing regardless.]

So right now there's definitely some kind of rating but it doesn't look like you get locked out of anything.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube was the last one to go that route. I kind of liked it actually. After the first year it skipped a year or so of time and advanced storylines. A couple years later it might've done another time skip.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I got that from the quote in the OP
Oh. Well that makes sense. I was just going off that asterisk bit from the last update. But I guess there will be a judgement day after all. Oh well.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Met posted:

I think A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube was the last one to go that route. I kind of liked it actually. After the first year it skipped a year or so of time and advanced storylines. A couple years later it might've done another time skip.

That's the only Harvest Moon I've ever played if I'm being honest.

Another thing I hope is a way to quickly mash through text. I want to run around monotonously watering grids of dirt not monotonously waiting for text I'm not reading to slowly appear.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I forfeit my right to speak ill of a time limit when I filled out my album in Harvest Moon 64. Even now I'm actually kind of a fan unless excessive RNG is involved, and HM64 was the undisputed king of excessive RNG. You needed one week of perfect weather and near-perfect play in that same timespan to stay on track.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Personally I'd like to slow it down for multiplayer shenanigans but I remember that feeling every morning in the original Harvest Moon were poo poo needed to get done

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Personally I'd like to slow it down for multiplayer shenanigans but I remember that feeling every morning in the original Harvest Moon were poo poo needed to get done

That's farming life.

Has there been any updates recently? Is the game ever coming out?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Demiurge4 posted:

That's farming life.

Has there been any updates recently? Is the game ever coming out?

Latest blog post said single player was 99% done (content-wise id assume), and that all thats left was debugging and polish. Multiplayer infrastructure has a ways to go it seems. Progress seems pretty consistent and I think we're far out of vapor-ware zone at this point.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Avocados posted:

Latest blog post said single player was 99% done (content-wise id assume), and that all thats left was debugging and polish. Multiplayer infrastructure has a ways to go it seems. Progress seems pretty consistent and I think we're far out of vapor-ware zone at this point.

Absolutely. Obviously it won't be this year, but I am fairly confident of a spring/summer 2016 release. So won't be too long now.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Absolutely. Obviously it won't be this year, but I am fairly confident of a spring/summer 2016 release. So won't be too long now.

He's been pretty adamant about a release this year, and the steam page is apparently going up tomorrow so who knows!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

drunken officeparty posted:

That's the only Harvest Moon I've ever played if I'm being honest.

Another thing I hope is a way to quickly mash through text. I want to run around monotonously watering grids of dirt not monotonously waiting for text I'm not reading to slowly appear.

The day in AWL when I managed to breed a plant that acted a sprinkler for the 3 squares around it was probably the happiest day I had as a sad 15 year old nerd.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 14, 2017

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

not surprised at the delay, not too concerned either since it's not like i've already handed this dude money for the game

super happy to hear about a low-bullshit magic horse though

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 14, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jesto posted:

The closed beta in December sounds great if you don't care about multiplayer at all. I just really hope the people in the closed beta don't put absolutely every scrap of information in the game up online in walkthrough before the game actually gets released to the public.

Always a shame when communities can't discover stuff together.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I'm gonna keep my head in the sand and ask my friends to do the same though. This seem like the ultimate chill game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
100 prerelease LP videos by ya boy Pbat

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Jackard posted:

100 prerelease LP videos by ya boy Pbat

The first thing we gotta do is make an anvil.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 14, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man I'm going to give Supernorn so much poo poo for that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It should have been betad a long time ago anyway. He changed like a dozen things that seem super obvious even just from people watching the stream secondhand. People are going to tear the game apart and it sounds like he would have an emotional breakdown because he is ocd about making The Perfect GameTM

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nah

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Anyone bought the OST yet? How is it? Those preview songs from a long time ago sounded pretty good and I'd like know if the full OST is worth it quality-wise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

[quote="" post="452428957"]
2. Closed Beta (December)

3. Finish Multiplayer (December - ???)
[/quote]

Ahahahaha :roflolmao: That's cute. That's only going to work if those question marks are actually a date; like 2016. Even if getting anything to synchronize properly across the internet wasn't a pain in the rear end he's going to have his hands full resolving beta feedback.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
No those question marks are clearly some time in 2014 pay attention

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's been 18 years since Harvest Moon came out, I can wait a few(+) more months for this. Better late than poo poo.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I just want to farm animes on my computing machine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That screenshot looks tight. I'm ready to wait for this.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Chump Farts posted:

I just want to farm animes on my computing machine.

:yeah:

It's good to hear that there's at least a mapped out plan for wrapping up the game. It's been a long road for ConcernedApe for sure. It's pretty cool that a dev is willing to step back and take a look at their work and think "No, this isn't good enough."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Met posted:

The last Rune Factory kinda does this. It had several time skips. I believe when you get married, you skipped a year. And then when you have a kid, you skip several so that it goes straight to early childhood. The game I just recently played, I was on my second Fall season, but it was year 7.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Avocados posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I'm gonna keep my head in the sand and ask my friends to do the same though. This seem like the ultimate chill game.

Yeah. I already plan to unbookmark the thread as soon as I'm playing the game, barring any questions/issues that come up in the first few days.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

dijon du jour posted:

Anyone bought the OST yet? How is it? Those preview songs from a long time ago sounded pretty good and I'd like know if the full OST is worth it quality-wise.

I have aquired it, because I'm a sucker for this old music.

It's pretty drat good. And there are 70 songs.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Any word on a minimal UI option? All those meters and bars are killing me.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Was multiplayer a thing literally anyone asked for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
It's one of the big reasons I'm hype for the game. Gonna grow pumpkins with my bros and slapfight over who gets to marry the emo guy