Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

so the galaxy consists of 64 quadrants numbered (1,1) through (8,8), each made up of 64 sectors numbered (1,1) through (8,8).

you know better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

spending my life having fun and enjoying what i do and making other people happy is the worst thing imaginable, because someone i've never met and don't care about is watching his numbers go up faster than my numbers are going up

yeah this is a part of it. but there's more than that. e.g. 'unlimited' vacation isn't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

hey Notorious b.s.d. what you're talking about already has a name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx%27s_theory_of_alienation

yeah this is dead on

i'm doing well for myself and i have a Good Job where i get to do cool stuff, and i still hate it. it's not because the job is insufficiently cool. it's because employment is a lovely thing in general

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah this is dead on

i'm doing well for myself and i have a Good Job where i get to do cool stuff, and i still hate it. it's not because the job is insufficiently cool. it's because employment is a lovely thing in general

literally you:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bloody posted:

I work for a non-profit there is no yacht suck it

how much do the directors and executives get paid though

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
most people have realized that in a capitalist system, the whole point of a job is to produce value for someone else, since that is why the job opportunity existed in the first place. in exchange you get money that is supposed to be related to the amount of value created, and you can spend this money on whatever valueless poo poo you prefer to do instead. but even if there was no money, or the system was something other than capitalism, why should you be exempted from the responsibility to do something that is useful to others in society? if your fundamental complaint about having a job is that you're beholden to others' wishes, then unless you want to live in a cabin in the woods, how do you propose to change this? maybe if left to your own devices, you will write a bunch of cool open sores software, that's neat, but what if all i want to do is smoke weed every day?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well if we had communism then nobody would have to work and i'd be able to do what I want whenever I want

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'd be okay with a 15 hour workweek.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
this morning i woke up, played violin for 25 minutes then waited in line for 8 hours to get 3 potatoes, i sure am glad capitalism is dead

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
that or the little red book

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

this morning i woke up, played violin for 25 minutes then waited in line for 8 hours to get 3 potatoes, i sure am glad capitalism is dead

Bring your violin to the bread line dum dum

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MononcQc posted:

Bring your violin to the bread line dum dum

:doh:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Shaggar posted:

well if we had communism then nobody would have to work and i'd be able to do what I want whenever I want
Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it will be the opposite.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
pretty sure BSD has some kind of depression/sadbrains and is trying to rationalize it with the marxist approach

I'm not saying this to be a smug rear end or anything :shrug:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

JewKiller 3000 posted:

most people have realized that in a capitalist system, the whole point of a job is to produce value for someone else, since that is why the job opportunity existed in the first place. in exchange you get money that is supposed to be related to the amount of value created, and you can spend this money on whatever valueless poo poo you prefer to do instead. but even if there was no money, or the system was something other than capitalism, why should you be exempted from the responsibility to do something that is useful to others in society? if your fundamental complaint about having a job is that you're beholden to others' wishes, then unless you want to live in a cabin in the woods, how do you propose to change this? maybe if left to your own devices, you will write a bunch of cool open sores software, that's neat, but what if all i want to do is smoke weed every day?

if you can think of a cool idea that other people will like, then take that poo poo up to people who can fund your cool idea. then you can employ people to create value for you, so you can smoke weed every day while people work for you.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
having a job that pays well feels pretty good. I can see myself getting depressed eventually, just as BSD predicts, but for now... :frogc00l:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

having a job that pays well feels pretty good. I can see myself getting depressed eventually, just as BSD predicts, but for now... :frogc00l:

especially after having jobs that paid poo poo and was worse in every other way

although i never had the "2 jobs and can't pay rent" experience.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

pretty sure BSD has some kind of depression/sadbrains and is trying to rationalize it with the marxist approach

i think you';re correct too btother

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Symbolic Butt posted:

I didn't want to say it first, but yeah. I got the strongest urge to get out of programming (and into more satisfying but far less lucrative jobs like teaching) when I felt the worst. then I got meds, therapy, but especially a live-in girlfriend (and a dog) and my perspective on money and work itself changed completely. I mean technically I'm still working for some dude (don't know about the yacht, but he rides a harley and plays golf), and the idea I'm really doing it for her (and the dog) is irrational wishful thinking, but I'm happy

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hackbunny posted:

I didn't want to say it first, but yeah. I got the strongest urge to get out of programming (and into more satisfying but far less lucrative jobs like teaching) when I felt the worst. then I got meds, therapy, but especially a live-in girlfriend (and a dog) and my perspective on money and work itself changed completely. I mean technically I'm still working for some dude (don't know about the yacht, but he rides a harley and plays golf), and the idea I'm really doing it for her (and the dog) is irrational wishful thinking, but I'm happy

it's good that you have something to distract yourself from the fact that you are going to be spending 1/4 of your week working for the next few decades i guess

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lady Galaga posted:

it's good that you have something to distract yourself from the fact that you are going to be spending 1/4 of your week working for the next few decades i guess

more like a good reason to not work even more than that

(still at home sick, still dying of boredom)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I feel okay about spending time because before work, I was spending a majority of my time either playing repetitive games or just studying.

Studying also took way more than 40 hours a week and was terrible because I never knew when it was enough to pass/get the grade I want.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

man, tell me about it, before examinations at the uni I got gut cramps and nervous diarrhea. to study for Logic from absolute ignorance of the topic, I took a week off work which I spent in a 6 hours awake, 2 hours asleep cycle, and my waking hours in a 50 minutes study, 10 minutes play cycle. aced the test, immediately forgot everything

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Edit: I wrote entirely too many words and now I feel bad about it.

Funk In Shoe fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

~Coxy posted:

how much do the directors and executives get paid though

a deece six and a half figgies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i read learn you an erlang and now i kind of want to create a simulation of forums-based mafia as a bunch of interacting FSMs

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

:getin: let me know if you need any guidance or help

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

:getin: let me know if you need any guidance or help

I almost certainly will; I haven't even installed an erlang yet but I read the thing in order to get a feel for what the language was about.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
is there a formal, structured method to analyze a programming language? this in house programming language another group is using to test my project -- i've got a growing list of complaints that i'd like to turn into something other than jira tickets.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

unfortunately i don’t think there exists a tool to analyze the syntactical effectiveness of any language. most language analyzers are specific to one language, like http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/. you could modify an existing tool for the language you are using.

its assumed that the maintainers of languages actually know what they are doing, and given that you are using an in-house language, i’m guessing that the truth is far from that.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the syntax is simple (xml and ${...} variables). the part i'm having trouble with is finding a way to organize my arguments about the language. for example, the variable scope is all hosed. test cases are defined by a <TestCase/>, which has <set/>, <assert/> elements. But <TestCase/> can also have child elements of <TestCase type="procedure"/> which are supposed to be reusable functions.

XML code:
 <TestCase>
	<set name="global.var" value="1"/>
	<set name="ui.var" value="1"/>
	<call name="setGlobalVarTo2"/>
	<call name="setLocalVarTo2"/>
	<assert name="${global.var}" value="1"/> <!-- passes -->
	<assert name="${ui.var}" value="1"/> <!-- fails ui.var = 2 -->
</TestCase>
then in another file

XML code:
<TestCase name="setGlobalVarTo2" type="procedure">
	<set name="global.var" value="2"/>
</TestCase>
<TestCase name="setLocalVarTo2" type="procedure">
	<set name="ui.var" value="2"/>
</TestCase>
the semantics and scoping of global variables are defined a constant way, but "modules" dynamically loaded from jars behave differently

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i've brought up several times that its loving stupid to make our own language with xml syntax, why can't we just use a language that already exists? "well sometimes the best solution is the solution that's 2nd best for everyone" well what about these design flaws "file a jira ticket"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it feels like being in a sinking boat just a few yards away from dry land. hey guys lets just abandon the boat and swim to the dry land. no no no just help patch the boat

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so where in india are they located

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
bangalore

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
testing DSLs are all bad

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i think the biggest complaint here is that they're trying to write an imperative language using a sequence of xml elements when xml's ordering is undefined. but really thats not going to burn you because the only xml parser that operates out of order is the one that does so purposefully.

it does look like they've mixed up their definitions of local and global, though.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah really to be fair it does what the say it will, and they're doing a decent job of documenting. its just that its so pointless and dumb. like the way they decided to implement if-else:

XML code:
<TestCase>
	<if compare="Equal" name="${global.var}" value="1">
		<!-- do something -->
	</if>
	<!-- else -->
	<if compare="Not Equal" name="${global.var}" value="1">
		<!-- do something else -->
	</if>
</TestCase>

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i don't know, my grand manager shut me down the last time i tried to talk about it. now that my manager quit and now my grand manager is my manager maybe it'll be different. they want a test frame-work independent way to test UI's. why can't they just define a set of java API's that abstract Jemmy/JemmyFX/etc? well bc they want to generate the test scripts from an Excel spreadsheet. Why can't they generate Java / Groovy scripts instead of xml? well because reasons reasons reasons reasons

• Locked thread