Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

The ideal countertop surface is machined tungsten. :colbert:

No but in all seriousness, every material available has advantages and disadvantages.

? https://what-if.xkcd.com/89/

Honestly had no clue that you could get tungsten countertops. I thought tungsten poisoning would be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Stainless steel countertops and a restaurant-grade dishwasher.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

~Coxy posted:

Stainless steel countertops and a restaurant-grade dishwasher.

And a floor drain so you can do kitchen cleaning with a hose and squeegee. :black101:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Enourmo posted:

And a floor drain so you can do kitchen cleaning with a hose and squeegee. :black101:

This has long been a dream of mine. With children, it becomes stunningly practical.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

High Lord Elbow posted:

This has long been a dream of mine. With children, it becomes stunningly practical.

Ah yes, I remember mom cleaning me up after a hard day at softball with the ol' hose and sqeegee.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

Butcher block when properly oiled is quite sanitary. Real, actual butchers use it every day to cut the meat you likely purchase at a store. At the butcher shop I go to they've had the same ones for DECADES and a couple of them are lightly bowl shaped now from use.

When you say "re-seal-able top coat" it leads me to believe you are thinking about the fake butcher block I was referring to earlier......butcher block that's been coated with poly or something is really inappropriate for using as a cutting surface for food. It's just for looks.

Also, LOL at "not meant for wear and tear duty in my honest opinion." All of these commercial butcher shops must have been so wrong for so many years now.

I don't know what "commercial butcher shop" looks like, most I've seen are small, old and family owned. They tend to use all sort of random poo poo. Anything that is modern, commercial and associated with food prep will have steel surfaces. I'm in Philadelphia by the way. Not sure if it matters.

Also yes, the majority of stuff I'm referring to is the varnished block. Commonly sold for non-food prep counter surface.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nitrox posted:

Anything that is modern, commercial and associated with food prep will have steel surfaces.

Or UHMW for anything a knife will touch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Leperflesh posted:

The ideal countertop surface is machined tungsten. :colbert:

No but in all seriousness, every material available has advantages and disadvantages.

400 lbs of machined tungsten?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Butcher block when properly oiled is quite sanitary. Real, actual butchers use it every day to cut the meat you likely purchase at a store. At the butcher shop I go to they've had the same ones for DECADES and a couple of them are lightly bowl shaped now from use.

When you say "re-seal-able top coat" it leads me to believe you are thinking about the fake butcher block I was referring to earlier......butcher block that's been coated with poly or something is really inappropriate for using as a cutting surface for food. It's just for looks.

Also, LOL at "not meant for wear and tear duty in my honest opinion." All of these commercial butcher shops must have been so wrong for so many years now.

Bakeries, too. Every one I ever worked in used block-top tables for everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Also yes, the majority of stuff I'm referring to is the varnished block. Commonly sold for non-food prep counter surface.

Well, that's the problem. You're talking about something wildly different than what was being discussed here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes, a million times yes.

All of the bathrooms as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MrYenko posted:

Are you may wife's alt-account?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I was in a bar once with tiled everything and floor drains. Tiled floor, tiled walls, tiled ceilings. The clientele gave me the impression it was somewhere that a knife fight breaks out on a regular basis, so the large up front cost probably saved a lot of time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What is that floor? Is that rough concrete?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hnnnnngggggggg

That's basically my vanity that I just put in but I put in undermount sinks.

I wish I could talk my husband into loving concrete as much as I do but I got a compromise of large gray variations in porcelain tiles with light blue grey walls.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

MrYenko posted:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Motronic posted:

yes, commercial butcher shops design their work surfaces for aesthetics in the exact same way a private home would

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

They must've also thought we'd keep black mold as a pet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

yes, commercial butcher shops design their work surfaces for aesthetics in the exact same way a private home would

You're missing the point. He's arguing that a butcher block can hold up to constant use for decades if properly maintained, assuming it's an actual butcher block and not a hunk of wood that's been sealed with a sealant. The butcher shop example supports the argument that no, they don't just get hacked up and wear out in a few years of normal home-kitchen use, assuming you know how to properly use and care for the wood.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You're missing the point. He's arguing that a butcher block can hold up to constant use for decades if properly maintained, assuming it's an actual butcher block and not a hunk of wood that's been sealed with a sealant. The butcher shop example supports the argument that no, they don't just get hacked up and wear out in a few years of normal home-kitchen use, assuming you know how to properly use and care for the wood.

Yeah, and even if the butcher block gets neglected, the solution is still "sand it down, oil, and its as good as new"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xergm posted:

They must've also thought we'd keep black mold as a pet.

Nah man, every surface will also be a UV emitter.

That, or you fill your hose with bleach.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is it just me or does that bathroom have huge windows with no means of covering them?

Lol, daily cleaning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it just me or does that bathroom have huge windows with no means of covering them?

It looks like there are shades rolled up above the windows. Probably motorized.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Maybe they like it when people watch?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
They have a view so exquisite, no one can look in without some means of attaching a camera to a small flying hovering device.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lol, daily cleaning.

What else was she gonna do, vote?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MrYenko posted:

Avocado was super common for kitchen appliances in the 1970s United States though.

The house I grew up in was built in 1954, and has medium grey tile work with pink tile accents, and a pink toilet/sink. (Shower is grey and pink tile, with a terrazzo floor that matches the rest of the house, no tub.)

The other bathroom (mine) is seafoam green and pink tile. Sink, toilet, and tub are pink.

There's another house in the neighborhood with a dark brown and pale blue bathroom, including brown tub/toilet/sink.
Our kitchen backsplash is amazing. It's some sort of mid-nineties art glass thing. All green, grey, and pink. There are decorative metal rods mounted to it. I don't even understand.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

Well, that's the problem. You're talking about something wildly different than what was being discussed here.
Likely, yeah. But let's not get carried away with catch-all phrase "proper care". If tended to regularly, you can have a functional counter top made of compressed turds.

gvibes posted:

Our kitchen backsplash is amazing. It's some sort of mid-nineties art glass thing. All green, grey, and pink. There are decorative metal rods mounted to it. I don't even understand.
Sounds interesting. Take a picture?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm picturing this in frosted/coloured glass:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That belongs on the wall behind a NASCAR car-shaped bed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

I'm picturing this in frosted/coloured glass:

I have that hanging right next to my Nagel.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Isn't that the side of a Dixie cup or is that the joke?

Was it a great work of art before the cup?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

Was it a great work of art before the cup?

No. It just reminds everybody of the 90's.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Isn't that the side of a Dixie cup
Solo (formerly Sweetheart) Jazz cup :mad:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Actually quite an interesting story.

http://www.news-leader.com/longform/news/local/ozarks/2015/06/17/internet-looking-designed-cup-springfield/28881969/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.theonion.com/article/customer-who-declined-initial-offer-assistance-flo-51771

Oh look, it's me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

At least can we all agree that grouted tile is an awful idea for countertops?

I once looked at a place that had used it's leftover floor tile to do the kitchen counters. It was that grey-brown, textured slate, so it kind of looked like a really bad mold problem creeping up from the floor.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shifty Pony posted:

At least can we all agree that grouted tile is an awful idea for countertops?

I'd agree if I believed anyone had actually done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

GotLag posted:

I'd agree if I believed anyone had actually done it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tile+countertops&tbm=isch