Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought Dinky Di was going to fulfill the same purpose as D-Dog, honestly. He'd sniff out hidden salvages of ammunition and so on like he does in the intro. He's an absolutely adorable mine sniffer, but I'm a bit sad that's all he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I like the fact that eating cans of dog food strengthens Max's legend, like people are telling each other the story of this legendary dog-food-eating guy who once ate 12 cans of the stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Crashbee posted:

I like the fact that eating cans of dog food strengthens Max's legend, like people are telling each other the story of this legendary dog-food-eating guy who once ate 12 cans of the stuff.

You joke but it actually kind of works. It's part of his greater legend, made up of all these smaller parts. Like, survivors will be sitting around their lovely firepit eating lovely grilled rat or whatever, and one person launches into the story of how Mad Max once killed ten War Boys with his bare hands without taking a scratch. The person next to him says she heard Max jumped Split Skull Gorge, can you believe that? They say his engine howled like the dying cry of the Old World as he flew. Then the other guy says he knows a guy who swears up and down that Max ate twelve cans of Dinki Di. Can you imagine owning twelve cans of Dinki Di? How loving rich do you have to be to get that much old-world food?? This Max guy must have collected some amazing treasures after beating all those warlords to death with their own severed limbs. Everyone pauses and reflects, awed. Of all his legends, the one about being so god drat rich you could live off a steady diet of canned food is the one that impresses and resonates with them the most.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I finished this last night- completed all the side and story missions, but gently caress completing everything. In fact, I get the sense that you can pretty much win the car part of it by upgrading your ammo belt and thunderpoon only.

The best part of the game was taking down the convoys, at least until the thunderpoon was at it's highest upgrades. A new game that expanded on that aspect would be amazing.

Foot combat was fine, but I don't think I upgraded Max's skills at all because it wasn't even necessary, and the bosses were the same guy. The end battle was sort of lame, too.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Here's a Mad Max DLC code for PS4 from my Rockstar can if anyone wants it:

23BD-PPN2-JQHD

Something called a "Pentacal Gulpcut".

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
After 42 hours I decided to play the main questline a bit and uh, that lightbulbs location was scary and magnificent :ohdear:
Does the game end after you race Stank Gum?
I also found the second half (after the gate) much more interesting scenery wise, it's New Vegas with gas stations and highways, as opposed to boring Morrowind wasteland.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 24, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

No. Game will give you a "make sure Max is prepared before his final encounter!" when you approach the final mission location.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sauer kraut posted:

After 42 hours I decided to play the main questline a bit and uh, that lightbulbs location was scary and magnificent :ohdear:
I also found the second half (after the gate) much more interesting scenery wise, it's New Vegas with gas stations and highways, as opposed to boring Morrowind wasteland.

Funny, I felt the wast open spaces and brightly coloured desert of Jeets territory the most fun to explore, since it looked a lot like the wasteland in both Road warrior, Thunderdome and Fury road.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nooooooooo, chum!. :( That felt really mean-spirited, even in the context of the situation.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finished the main story last night and thought the experience as a whole as a bit iffy. There's the core of a good game here: the car customisation is fun, zooming through the desert looks and feels genuinely Mad Max-y and the fighting system is an alright Arkham ripoff.

But it just feels so skeletal. Pretty much everything is built from the same small pool of assets; they repeat the most boring boss in the world over and over again; the missions are largely identical to one another and it basically it quickly gets a bit boring..

Plus, in a game about car combat, the physics are extremely wonky. A couple of times I was bumped into the scenery and shot high into the air spinning rapidly. Even if you brush against a wall you can end up doing a U-turn for some reason. In one of the big climactic races I ended up like this:

Oh well, the harpoon was fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Nooooooooo, chum!. :( That felt really mean-spirited, even in the context of the situation.

Yeah, that just doesn't fit in the game as a whole to me. Well, it fits the game but not Mad Max as a whole.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've put this game off for weeks at a time due to just playing Rocket League / MGSV / Destiny but coming back to it every time makes me appreciate it more. It's like the brutal version of Batman stripped down to its skeleton, with a more fun Batmobile and more grueling combat. I like how I really can't mash poo poo and jump around like Batman; you're very mortal and every punch has weight to it so you can't just tap Triangle and counter immediately mid-hit. I'm still not THAT far in, only just met Pink Eye, but combat is quite challenging and I get destroyed if I flail around versus a huge pack of assholes. Of the "Arkham"-likes I've played this one def has the toughest combat scenarios when you fight a diverse pack of warriors.

Also really like the big bases that feel more like sprawling dungeons as you nervously scale up trash towers or down into dank mines. Feels like a very basic but harrowing Zelda scenario that replaces keys with gas cans to blow up those tanks. There's a lot of checklist poo poo in the game for sure but I wouldn't compare this to a Ubisoft game at all; it's very much resigned to its basic essence and feels like a very "retro" game because of that simplicity.

I only just found out yesterday I can put the UI on in the "video filter" mode; I didn't use it before because I assumed it meant I'd be blind without a map and poo poo but now the game is so much cooler. Some of the filters really make the colors pop out, especially at dusk. It's such a pretty world of garbage and woe.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There's been a patch today.

Patch notes posted:

Hello Wastelanders!

Patch 4 for Mad Max has been released today for PS4, Xbox One, and Win64/PC. A number of general fixes, including some issues with the map have been resolved. Support for the Steam Controller has been added with a number of other Win64 specific updates

General Updates for All Platforms:
  • Map improvements and fixes.
  • Fixed a problem with a draw bridge's winch in Great Watcher.
  • Fixed an instance where The Jaw's locks couldn't be destroyed.
  • Fixed several issues involving projects in Strongholds
  • Improved performance in several locations
  • Corrected a couple of annoying softlock issues
  • Corrected how Warcriers would suddenly stop doing their job if Max would leave the area and then come back without disposing of them.
  • Fixed a camera problem in some instances
  • Fixed an instance where Insignias wouldn't be accurately tracked after being destroyed.
  • Polish of collision meshes against the certain terrain and objects
  • Fixed a couple of persistent UI issues
  • Corrected the momentary inability to use Fast Travel after certain Wasteland Missions.
  • General bug fixes
Win64 Specific Updates:
  • Steam Controller support added to the game.
  • Fixed an issue where the Resolution defaulted to a lower setting. Saves should now retain the player selected Resolution.
  • Fixed an issue where overall volume remained low after adjusting Volume settings.
  • Fixed a problem with the Refresh Rate setting being reset to 24hz with the previous patch. Those settings now correctly persist through updates.
  • Fixed a problem with remaining stuck in Jeet's Stronghold after completing the Dinki-Di's mission in some cases.
  • Fixed a UI conflict issue for Settings not being saved when selecting an option with the mouse and then using the keyboard to change and confirm the change.
  • Implemented a Virtual Keyboard for when accessing WBPlay credentials fields with a controller.
  • Implemented a smoother loading screen transition across the screens when using a multiple screens display setup.
  • Fixed missing images for certain keyboard functions in the Keymapping Options Menu.
  • Corrected instances where the Pause menu would display incorrect control labels when switching between Keyboard+Mouse controls and a Controller.
  • Fixed a navigation restriction problem after using Escape to exit certain menu panels.
  • Fixed the problem with accessing a Challenge Category once that category was completed.
  • Polished controls in the Map screen to avoid having the "Action" control result in placing a Marker in the map.
It'd be nice to see some additional content (paid or not, as long as it's decent), but I don't think they ever said whether they have any plans to that extent?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MMAgCh posted:

It'd be nice to see some additional content (paid or not, as long as it's decent), but I don't think they ever said whether they have any plans to that extent?

If you haven't heard anything by now, there are no plans. The whole point of having content released down the line is to discourage people from trading the game back in, so if it's been a couple of months and there isn't even so much as a rumor of DLC, it's not happening.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Still no respawning convoys? :sigh:

I was hoping this patch might have them and give me a reason to reinstall but apparently not.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

I found the "boring Morrowind wasteland" to be quite beautiful actually

also I would say New Vegas looks a lot like Mad Max far more than the other way around

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

T1g4h posted:

Still no respawning convoys? :sigh:

I was hoping this patch might have them and give me a reason to reinstall but apparently not.

Maybe gibbed can piece together some kinda game+ or something :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda hope someone makes some difficulty mods or other fan content for this game. I'd love to play a version where fuel consumption matters, for example.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MMAgCh posted:

Incredibly lovely that consoles get all the goodies and we don't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deakul posted:

Incredibly lovely that consoles get all the goodies and we don't.

What the heck are you talking about?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They're just hood ornaments but it's still content that I'd like on the PC. :shobon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC4Wt7OyOZk

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 27, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deakul posted:

They're just hood ornaments but it's still content that I'd like on the PC. :shobon:

That's PS4 exclusivity, which is just Sony paying the devs to put in something extra, which they've always done. IIRC the exclusivity expires at some point in November and we'll probably be able to purchase them as cheapo DLC.

E: Forgot to mention that Chum Bucket said the Buzzards mostly come out at night... mostly, further cementing this as GOTY that isn't Splatoon for me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought this patch note was great:

• Corrected how Warcriers would suddenly stop doing their job if Max would leave the area and then come back without disposing of them.

Deakul posted:

oh god, the references. they're all movie references! it's so goooooooood

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Done all I'm going to do in this game. All missions, relics, camps, upgrades, encounters and scavenging locations. Not going to bother with races, challenges and vehicles.

Overall I liked it. Everything was rough around the edges, but each element worked well enough to be enjoyable as a whole. Really I think you couldn't recommend this unless you were interested in Mad Max/post apoocalyptic desert and had the kind of OCD that makes sweeping a map to tick off objectives fun.

Story was really daft, you're supposed to be attached to these 2 characters that feature about as much as the stronghold leaders but you'll kill Chumbucket with no hesitation?

Stank Gum''s race was poo poo. It was like they set out to make a mission that emphasised all the frustrating parts of driving and vehicle combat.

The very final mission throwing thundersticks at Scrotus was very underwhelming.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Stank Gum''s race was poo poo. It was like they set out to make a mission that emphasised all the frustrating parts of driving and vehicle combat.

I did the entire race in slow-mo because I'm bad at videogames. Crashing once meant I'd never see Stank Gum ever again.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Lurdiak posted:

E: Forgot to mention that Chum Bucket said the Buzzards mostly come out at night... mostly, further cementing this as GOTY that isn't Splatoon for me.

He also quotes a line from Airplane! at one point.

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.
Has anyone had any problems with random audio dropping during gameplay on xbone? I had a few sound effect drop out then come back but I just fast traveled and now the only audio I hear is the engine of the cars. Restarting doesn't even help. There's no music in the main menu, no voices, etc. Probably going to have to delete and start over but wondering if anyone happened to have a fix first. Really fun game, otherwise.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I had a similar problem once. Doing a full power down (using the 'energy saving' option in settings) fixed it for me.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Juvi posted:

Has anyone had any problems with random audio dropping during gameplay on xbone? I had a few sound effect drop out then come back but I just fast traveled and now the only audio I hear is the engine of the cars. Restarting doesn't even help. There's no music in the main menu, no voices, etc. Probably going to have to delete and start over but wondering if anyone happened to have a fix first. Really fun game, otherwise.

Not exactly, but post patch on PS4 I now have random audio desync during cutscenes.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Just found out that after finishing the main quest, a few wasteland encounters pop up that are actually really mean-spirited hallucinations accusing Max of killing his family(ies). Seemed like an odd bit of detail considering how little else there is to do.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well that sure was an ending

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I wonder what that little 2MB update was. Anyone know?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder what that little 2MB update was. Anyone know?
Looks like they added two hood ornament DLCs.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Juvi posted:

Sometimes on ps4 I'll suddenly lose all engine noise, or punching won't make sound (reminded me of assassin's creed). I fix it consistently by switching the audio settings around, like changing it from tv to headphones and back. It resolves on its own sometimes as well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

gibbed posted:

Looks like they added two hood ornament DLCs.

Dang, too much to hope a tiny update would add a new game+/repopulate camps and convoy options I guess :v:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
How many missions are left after the whole Stankgums race and then THUNDERDOME etc?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Not very many at all. You might as well sit down and finish the game at this point, or all sense of urgency will be lost.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Sweet as.

I am loving this game. I think going for 100% would be repetitive but I am atleast 40-50hours in and have had the time of my life.

When the convoy music kicks in :perfect:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally caved and bought this game at a deep discount. Embarrassingly I just watched the new movie too so I'm much more hyped for it. Is it possible to just mainline the main story and not do fetch quests too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Reverse Centaur posted:

Is it possible to just mainline the main story and not do fetch quests too much?

I'm pretty sure it is. Fetch quests were mainly designed for people bitching about games not being 80 hours long to complete. Video games are supposed to be fun so just do what you enjoy in the game and don't hesitate to even stop playing it when the fun wears off.

• Locked thread