Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

They only sold about 25,000 E9x M3's in north america, which granted, isn't a boutique car number but it's hardly like you can get a S65 + drivetrain out of every pick-n-pull in the country or anything. It isn't like buying an LSx. You'll need the brakes as well. What's the widest tire you can stuff under a 1-series?

Assembling a homebrew M135 piecemeal seems like a lot of money and effort and potential for poo poo to go wrong when you could, y'know, just buy an E9x M3 and take 400 pounds off it so it weighs exactly the same as the 135i and learn to live with the fact it's such a giant car at a whole 3" wider than a 135i.

Uh, I like building cars? Shaving that much weight off an e90 isn't exactly cheap, and you can do similar weight reduction to an e82. M3s are more expensive. I have a friend that likes to part out salvage bimmers and I can get e90 for VERY reasonable prices, and it only gets better as they depreciate

1M fenders on e82 = lots of tire. The front is bolt on, the rear is either fabricated but more FRP options are out there.

You can even start with a 128i to make it cheaper.

Also 135i has p nice brembos (need upgraded pistons for track use) but you can swap over e90 M3 brakes.

25,000 is plenty. Actually the total is 30,000 after all the verts are accounted for. e46 M3 was 40,000 and S54s are dirt cheap right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to the project thread then, sounds like a cool result.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I walked out of a driver side tbone in my e30 at 40mph with nothing more than a 1cm cut on my hand from the window glass

Plus it seems like air bags are more likely than not to shotgun poo poo into your face or not go off

You can pry my old rear end cars from my cold dead hands (after I inevitably die in a wreck), my loving e28 weighs less than a 2 series nowadays

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

rscott posted:

I walked out of a driver side tbone in my e30 at 40mph with nothing more than a 1cm cut on my hand from the window glass

Plus it seems like air bags are more likely than not to shotgun poo poo into your face or not go off

You can pry my old rear end cars from my cold dead hands (after I inevitably die in a wreck), my loving e28 weighs less than a 2 series nowadays

The Europeans were taking safety pretty seriously by the 1980s so I wouldn't have many qualms about driving something daily from that period. Provided the metal was all still solid and not Swiss cheese. Of course newer cars will be safer but an E30 isn't a 1985 Honda Civic death trap.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like BMW's interior quality has been on the decline for a while. Part of the reason I ended up in another E46 over an E92 is that I really, really hated the interior. I thought it was just me being grouchy at first, but even the friend I had with me for the test drive commented on it. It feels weird to say anything has a lower quality interior than a car where the pillar fabric likes to randomly fall off.

Edit- The F30 loaner I got a while ago when I was in for my airbag recall seemed alright, though.

I'm gonna sound like a whiny bitch when I complain about the 328 I will inevitably get as a loaner at my first service for the F13 coming up

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

Where is the spare? They don't have one, it has run flats.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the runflats. They start life hard as rocks and then get harder. They're uncomfortable and has little grip, IMO.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Funzo posted:

Yours too?

Just when I thought I was done all of my ocd preventative maintenance, found that one doing an oil change [from last page; oil pan gasket].

This wound is beyond my nyc-apartment-dweller skills to heal; at least my cool indy shop is going to do my fubar'd motor mounts for free at the same time :shepspends:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've started considering replacing my E39 540i and suddenly realized how cheap 128s are. Unfortunately within 100 miles of me there are three listed as 'manual' - two are automatics and the third is a convertible AND an automatic.

I'm looking at non-turbo models for long-term reliability, but is the 6-speed rare in those or something? How much would a clean 6-speed 128' go for, say, an '08 or '09?

edit: Actually, any input on these cars (E82) is appreciated. What to avoid, what goes wrong, etc.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 2, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CornHolio posted:

edit: Actually, any input on these cars (E82) is appreciated. What to avoid, what goes wrong, etc.

I'm also generally interested in the E82. It seems to be the only recent-model BMW under 25-30k used that I'd consider replacing my E46 with. On paper, the specs make it look like a 10 year newer E46. I've only sat in an E82 though, haven't driven one.

But it would feel a tiny bit silly going from a 330ci to a 128i, since the weight and power are almost the same and the E46 has a slightly nicer feeling interior, despite being older. Did BMW ever finally sort out the HPFP garbage on the N54/N55? Jumping to a 135i for that sweet sweet power sounds way more appealing, but I'm afraid of that turbo engine exploding into a blackhole of dollars.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

I'm also generally interested in the E82. It seems to be the only recent-model BMW under 25-30k used that I'd consider replacing my E46 with. On paper, the specs make it look like a 10 year newer E46. I've only sat in an E82 though, haven't driven one.

But it would feel a tiny bit silly going from a 330ci to a 128i, since the weight and power are almost the same and the E46 has a slightly nicer feeling interior, despite being older. Did BMW ever finally sort out the HPFP garbage on the N54/N55? Jumping to a 135i for that sweet sweet power sounds way more appealing, but I'm afraid of that turbo engine exploding into a blackhole of dollars.

Kind of where I'm at. I drove a 135i and had a loaner 128i but they were both automatics. The 135i felt really quick but the 128i felt more than adequate. How bad are the turbos, reliability/cost wise?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CornHolio posted:

Kind of where I'm at. I drove a 135i and had a loaner 128i but they were both automatics. The 135i felt really quick but the 128i felt more than adequate. How bad are the turbos, reliability/cost wise?

Well depends on if it's the Twin or the single.
Of course the twin means you have much more chance for one of them to fail, but anecdotally the engines are reliable. Mine's survived >80k miles, no real problems and at a bit more than stock boost.
Just a recent minor coolant leak that turned out to be a marginally loose bit of pipe.
Oh and dont force the coolant bleed screw. Those are made of the shittiest plastic and deform unless the screwdriver you're using fits perfectly.

But as anything BMW you're more likely to have things that aren't the engine fail.
Like the HPFP:

Guinness posted:

They extended the warranties on all HPFPs by....I wanna say to 120k miles?
But yeah they gave/still give (improved?) replacements, I think.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 2, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Did the non-turbo engines get the HPFP?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guinness posted:

Did BMW ever finally sort out the HPFP garbage on the N54/N55? Jumping to a 135i for that sweet sweet power sounds way more appealing, but I'm afraid of that turbo engine exploding into a blackhole of dollars.

More or less. The latest revision of the HPFP in the N54 seems to be fine, plus the warranty is still in effect. The N55 seems to not have this problem in the first place, but it kind of sucks compared to the N54.

CornHolio posted:

Did the non-turbo engines get the HPFP?

No.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Weird thing with my E28, 535is with the 4HP22-EH. Randomly started not starting when it's in park, but it will start no problem in neutral. Is there some kind of interlock that isn't engaging correctly? What gives?

e: OK it's pretty obviously the neutral safety switch, I've just never had one that would fail so that it would start in neutral but not in park, weird.

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 3, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Maybe not that weird considering it would be two different physical positions.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looking for an alternator for my M Coupe. Tracing the part number from RealOEM, 12317837691, I find the OEM is Valeo, their part # is 439590.

ECSTuning has a new one for $375. For shits and giggles, I went to O'Reilly's website and they show to have one, the brand is Ultima, part 11312. But the pictures on their site show an alternator with VALEO stamped on it.

So my question is, are the re-branding a Valeo part with their brand name to sell through O'Reilly? Or are they using stock pictures of a BMW part (I put my vehicle info into their site).

edit: I googled everything else, don't know why I didn't just look up the part. Ultima remans appear to have a terrible reputation and I'm going to go with the OEM from ECS Tuning. O'Reilly had one in stock is all. Looks like I'll be borrowing my dad's truck until it arrives.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 5, 2015

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
How important is the GDCS refresh for an E46 M3? I did a pretty thorough look through today and everything looked tight! Am I foolin myself!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

voltron posted:

How important is the GDCS refresh for an E46 M3? I did a pretty thorough look through today and everything looked tight! Am I foolin myself!

well, you could ignore it and hope for the best, it get you all the way to the scene of the coolant puddle.

the GDCS isn't a matter of things being tight, it's about hte plastics becoming brittle and cracking or exploding.

Has anybody here ever tried putting 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern wheels on their car? everybody says it's bascially the same, 120mm vs 120.65mm, and some wheels even come marked as both. cragar makes soft 8 steelies in 16x8 and 5 on 4.75 with 20mm backspacing. I figure i could get those and run cheapo chinese 245/45r16s this summer.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 6, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

voltron posted:

The E46 M3 is far less susceptible to GDCS problems than the non-M E46s. It has a different water pump, thermostat and expansion tank - the three things that fail most often in non-Ms - and appears to be far more reliable in that regard. The radiator and hoses are still a weak point, I guess.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
took apart my center console and cleaned out everything, neutral safety switch works fine now, w/e

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
I'm thinking of adding the M performance power kit and performance exhaust to my F30 335i. It's used but still has a good chunk of the original warranty left.

I know the parts themselves don't void the warranty, but I'm having trouble figuring out if they also have to be installed at a dealer? If I can save a bunch of money by going somewhere else and/or purchasing the parts on my own first, that would be nice.

edit: Upon further googling, people claim other shops can install without affecting the warranty, but I would still appreciate any input from some experience/experts :)

boji fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 6, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

well, you could ignore it and hope for the best, it get you all the way to the scene of the coolant puddle.

the GDCS isn't a matter of things being tight, it's about hte plastics becoming brittle and cracking or exploding.

Has anybody here ever tried putting 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern wheels on their car? everybody says it's bascially the same, 120mm vs 120.65mm, and some wheels even come marked as both. cragar makes soft 8 steelies in 16x8 and 5 on 4.75 with 20mm backspacing. I figure i could get those and run cheapo chinese 245/45r16s this summer.

I think you can based on what I remember from bimmerforums posts but I can't really find any evidence via google that it's okay.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Powershift posted:

It's fine. I ran my M3 wheels on my 68 Mercury via 5x4.75 adapters for a year. I checked to make sure they were torqued down often, never saw any looseness, but it's best to keep an eye on it regardless.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Aren't the corvette wheels that bolt pattern? I've seen a billion e36s with salad shooters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

boji posted:

I'm thinking of adding the M performance power kit and performance exhaust to my F30 335i. It's used but still has a good chunk of the original warranty left.

I know the parts themselves don't void the warranty, but I'm having trouble figuring out if they also have to be installed at a dealer? If I can save a bunch of money by going somewhere else and/or purchasing the parts on my own first, that would be nice.

edit: Upon further googling, people claim other shops can install without affecting the warranty, but I would still appreciate any input from some experience/experts :)

If it's the same as the PPK from older BMWs, you have to go to the dealer for the software update. Someone could install all the parts for you, but it comes with a sticker that goes in your engine bay that has a code that allows the dealer to install the software.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

Do yourself a favor and ditch the runflats. They start life hard as rocks and then get harder. They're uncomfortable and has little grip, IMO.

The owner before me must have understood this. I don't have the run flats, as my friend pointed out when we went looking for the RSC logo. So I've got normal tires (good ones) and no spare. Hrm. That seems a bit.. risky but when was the last time I changed a tire?

There isn't anywhere to even put a space saver spare in a 118i. Hrm.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
You just add roadside to your coverage, sit helplessly on the side of the road like a pretty blonde girl waiting for a big strong man to save the day. Only you're balding, not a girl, and no one ever comes to save the day prompting increasingly annoyed calls to Progressive.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Anyone know the part number for this thing, or the part number of whatever it fell off? I've been on RealOEM and Google Images for an hour and I can't find anything that even resembles it. It's from an '00 528i Touring (wagon), vin ending in BV64007.

It's origin:

The other side, all in one piece:

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
I'm in the process of tracking down all the parts for my e34 540 6 speed swap. Being from western :australia: I am having to order everything from overseas or interstate which is fine, except I can't find ANY e34 manual pedal boxes in Australia. I can't order one from the states as I need a RHD box.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a wrecker/someone in the UK or Japan that can help with this? It's the last piece of the puzzle before I get stuck into the swap.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

NOTinuyasha posted:

Anyone know the part number for this thing, or the part number of whatever it fell off? I've been on RealOEM and Google Images for an hour and I can't find anything that even resembles it. It's from an '00 528i Touring (wagon), vin ending in BV64007.

It's origin:

The other side, all in one piece:

Dunno if it's gray or beige, or what side it is, but it's under Lighting > Various Lamps, #11 at realoem.

Gray left is 63318366433, if you want to throw that in the search box.

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.

Cojawfee posted:

If it's the same as the PPK from older BMWs, you have to go to the dealer for the software update. Someone could install all the parts for you, but it comes with a sticker that goes in your engine bay that has a code that allows the dealer to install the software.

Yeah the mechanic I've been talking to mentioned the DME, which he looked up and said it will not need the new one. I assume this is what you are talking about?

After the M-PPK and exhaust, what else would you add to crank out more performance? It's a 335xi which I know isn't as sports oriented as pure RWD, but its my only car and I deal with enough weather that I wanted it. It has every option (except the actual M-performance package) which includes adaptive M suspension, variable sports steering, and sports trans, though I think there are some caveats here due to x-drive.

I'd like to stick to the M-performance catalog for now, and to get closer to what a 335 M sport feels like. Basically I want to toss it into corners with as much confidence as when I put the pedal down.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Right, IIRC, even with M sport on the -xi, you wouldn't have gotten M adaptive suspension.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

boji posted:

Yeah the mechanic I've been talking to mentioned the DME, which he looked up and said it will not need the new one. I assume this is what you are talking about?

After the M-PPK and exhaust, what else would you add to crank out more performance? It's a 335xi which I know isn't as sports oriented as pure RWD, but its my only car and I deal with enough weather that I wanted it. It has every option (except the actual M-performance package) which includes adaptive M suspension, variable sports steering, and sports trans, though I think there are some caveats here due to x-drive.

I'd like to stick to the M-performance catalog for now, and to get closer to what a 335 M sport feels like. Basically I want to toss it into corners with as much confidence as when I put the pedal down.

PPK definitely needs a dealer flash to update the load tables in the DME. The installation of PPK provides a sticker that dealer authenticates to provide the minor software update. It is an incredibly expensive kit; improved cooling but doesn't tackle the big important areas such as oil cooling, FMIC nor the plastic charge pipe that loves to explode with increased boost. At over $1500 it seems overpriced for radiator fans and software upgrade. :\

Regarding suspension upgrades, the only option you have is the Performance Suspension kit from BMW catalog. It slightly increases spring rate over the M-Sport springs and the dampers are 'upgraded' (not that much). The kit works well with upgraded dampers such as Konis; much higher quality dampers to match the spring rate. I got rid of my M-Sport kit as it was far too mushy; the spring rate was too low and the dampers couldn't handle quick load changes...

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
For the Performance Suspension kit I don't see my car listed.. only the 335i coupes and the 328i coupe. I dont see the 335 sedan listed at all (RWD or AWD), so maybe it's an error?

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
First time BMW thread poster, long time BMW fan/suffragette. I have a 2002 E39 M5, 173K on the car. It's a late 2001 build, with 16.9 Nav, luxury package with Sport seats and wood trim, ostrich door panels. I've added a JB LWT flywheel, and a UUC clutch & short shifter, and I've performed a muffler delete. Since purchasing the car at 160K from the 2nd owner, I've replaced tranny and diff fluid x2 with Royal Purple 75-140 and Synchromax, new fuel filter, air filters, serpentine belts, new battery last year, and I just recently re-sealed the differential input shaft, replaced guibo, center support bearing, and all differential-forward wear and tear items. The motor sounds healthy as can be, no discernable timing belt slap or noise even after a week sitting cold. No VANOS noise either. No oil consumption issues either. I have an OEM water pump and thermostat, and upper and lower radiator hoses and sensors on stand-by. Living in the Deep South, and given BMW's GDCS, should I replace the water pump, hoses and sensors over the winter months? And should I even hold onto the car if the valve guides/timing chain have not been inspected & cleared? Will this drat thing blow up on me? :iiam:

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
Previous BMW-related maladies: A 2003 M3, SMG (of course) with CSL-rep headers, Eisenmann cat-less midpipe, and an Active Autoworks backbox with matching Stage 2 Software. Bilstein PSS9's, iForged wheels with 285/35/19 rears and 265/40/19 fronts. Cinnamon extended leather interior. Previous owner went full-tard and installed (AND PAID FOR) an original Flossmann Widebody kit. I repaired the horribly installed kit, and painted the car House of Kolors Triple Black. Was prepping it to be a 285/35/19 square track car, then SMG happened :(

A magnet in the SMG assembly dropped into the tranny, subsequently my bank account dropped roughly $5k

The kicker? I traded my mint 1995 MK4 Supra for this. I daily drove it almost 90k miles during college with zero issues.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

geeteeslow posted:

The kicker? I traded my mint 1995 MK4 Supra for this. I daily drove it almost 90k miles during college with zero issues.
I know this is the BMW thread but...man. You've been had. :smith:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

mafoose posted:

Dunno if it's gray or beige, or what side it is, but it's under Lighting > Various Lamps, #11 at realoem.

Gray left is 63318366433, if you want to throw that in the search box.

Thank you kindly. For some reason there's a 'VARIOUS LAMPS' and 'VARIOUS LAMPS/SPARE BULBS BOX' (?), I didn't notice or check the latter. And that interior rear light design is unique to the wagon for some reason.

The Gods of Superior German Plastic have shown mercy, this particular sacrifice only set me back $35.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

geeteeslow posted:

A magnet in the SMG assembly dropped into the tranny, subsequently my bank account dropped roughly $5k
Shoulda manual swapped that bitch for a lot less money. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I love the "?" link :allears:

geeteeslow in 2011 posted:

Screw this, I'm going back to Japland.