Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Attention Goon Squad: your guild hall Scribing station is now open. Go make some decorations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is gear normalized for sPvP only, or for WvW as well? Just asking because I got destroyed in three seconds by some random dude in EotM. Don't even know what happened. Must be a hacker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Is gear normalized for sPvP only, or for WvW as well? Just asking because I got destroyed in three seconds by some random dude in EotM. Don't even know what happened. Must be a hacker.

Only for spvp, for WvW your gear is your pve gear, and if you're lower than level 80, you're scaled up. Uplevels are definitely weaker than an 80 too.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only for spvp, for WvW your gear is your pve gear, and if you're lower than level 80, you're scaled up. Uplevels are definitely weaker than an 80 too.

What, really? Ok, that explains a lot. Now I don't feel as bad about my mlg skillz anymore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thorns worth it if I only play pve?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. The Elites are much easier to unlock now and while Masteries are too much of a grind the ways they improve the experience really enhance the endgame.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Thorns worth it if I only play pve?

Yes its mostly PVE. Four huge maps and a new spec/weapon for every class. The non-PVE stuff is pretty small in comparison.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

CLAM DOWN posted:

Win XP is an unsupported, unsafe, ancient, end of life OS with major compatibility issues that works quite differently than say Windows 10. I'm curious what the benefit of testing on it is. Not criticising, actually curious as someone who has experience with real world software testing!

Test on the lowest common denominator and you will fix most of the bugs on later OS's while you're at it.

At our place, we have two different architectures we build for - one is Foundation (aka, free), the other is Server (aka paid for). They are fundamentally the same, however, they do have strong differences. We test the whole product on Foundation and only really do automated testing for the Server version. There's only so much testing time to go around - you have to hit the biggest spread with the bulk of your work. In this case, I'd wager that a fix for XP has a good chance of working in 10. Conversely, a fix in 10 has a good chance of not working in XP.

Regarding the issue from that reddit post, memory fragmentation is a bitch no matter where you are.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

apparently the dnt guys have a herald build

i looked at it and he's stolen my build verbatim, except he goes sword/axe sword/sword instead of sword/axe hammer and has a bunch of aspergers infusions in his full ascended armor

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dreggon posted:

apparently the dnt guys have a herald build

i looked at it and he's stolen my build verbatim, except he goes sword/axe sword/sword instead of sword/axe hammer and has a bunch of aspergers infusions in his full ascended armor

Meh, that's exactly the build I've been running since I got Herald. There's nothing surprising in there at all.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wait, how is this even possible?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Wait, how is this even possible?

Probably has a bank golem and tomes in the bank.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you have some version of GW2, deluxe or preorder or something, every character you create immediately gets a 2-week bank access pass. With that and a bank full of level up items and gear, you can do exactly that in the starting instance.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2011

it causes some bugs though so dont do it

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

If you tomed to 80 and then finished the prologue would that give you the exp to hit level 2 for a mastery track? Cause if it bugged out and filled that track, wouldn't that be something.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
:siren: warning, gw2players.txt / whining incoming :siren:

Not to keep harping on how HoT missed the casual-friendliness that Vanilla had in its zones, but I couldn't help think it while I stumbled upon another one of those "awesome things you find exploring in GW2".

I was in Mount Maelstrom, and I saw an event pop up with some oversized chicken. Killed it, and this portal appears. I have no idea what it is., but I take the portal. Game warns me that it might be dangerous, but I say take it anyways!

I pop into this area with a huge tree/vine thing in the middle, off in the corner of the map. I look up and see a chest. I find my way up there, and it says I need 4 things. Well, whatever, it looks like this thing goes higher. I fall a couple of times, manage to not die luckily. I get to the top and there's an essence thing there. I click it, and realize I've gotten 1 of the 4 things the chest said I needed. A quick trip to the wiki tells me the other 3 are in this little area, so I go off exploring. I do some more smaller jumping puzzles, fight some monsters, find my first "diving goggles" and manage not to splat against the ground, and eventually got my rewards.

It was an awesome experience that GW2 manages to provide, and I know we've all (or most of us) had experiences like that through-out the game. I also realize areas in Vanilla are old news to most of you, but I'm still working on world completion heh (almost done!). But it's still great that so much through it and I can still find new areas like this. I'll probably have to hit up the wiki when I'm doing to find any other jumping puzzles I've missed.

I haven't spent a ton of time in the new HoT maps, because all I get when I step in are brick walls. I'd rather spend my time working on LS2 and world completion for now, which provide experiences like the above, where I can get around the map reasonably, where it doesn't feel like a slog. Those won't last me much longer though, but at least I do have some of the basic movement stuff unlocked already.

I couldn't help but think that if this had been in HoT, I would have killed the oversized chicken, and when I clicked the portal, I'd have gotten a big alert "UNLOCK TYRIAN PORTAL MASTERY TO USE THIS PORTAL!". After that grind, I'd have gone into the little area "UNLOCK VINE CLIMBING TO GET TO THE CHEST". Then "UNLOCK CHEST OPENING TO OPEN THE CHEST".

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 2, 2015

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
actually the oversized chicken would have critically pecked you for 20k damage twice and you would spend 5 minutes getting back from the nearest waypoint

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

xZAOx posted:

The entire zone is exactly this experience of exploration and success (or in your case, failure) and you're a baby and also an idiot.

There is a Charr RC car game for gently caress's sake.

Edit: I also got like 150k XP, 2 mastery points, and an unlock for an elite spec weapon collection for beating it sooo...

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 2, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think Shigeru Miyamoto had a rule about showing players straight off things they couldn't do—platforms you couldn't reach yet, or doors you couldn't open—so that players could eventually go back with new equipment and abilities and get into them.

I feel like the problem with HoT is that you have to do a lot of exploring just to find most of the things you can't do. Like, in vanilla, you'd explore and find your way to a skill point challenge. Here, you explore and find a hero point challenge, but it's a challenge that has a champion and you can't do it without a group. Finding it by exploration has no point, so all it's good for is doing it as part of a hero point zerg. Exploration is possible but it feels much less rewarding.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I honestly can't say I've encountered any master bait and switches like you guys are talking about. Like, there's stuff I can't do, but it's clearly marked when I pass it on the way to stuff I can do, not at the end of a narrow passageway or past some pain in the rear end mobs.

Like, there were a couple of hero points in Verdant Brink that were hard to get to and required a new mastery to actually get, but their mastery requirements have already been patched out.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Most of the champ mobs are soloable and yelling in map chat and/or turning your tag on is enough to get a gaggle of warm bodies within 2 minutes.

Like and subscribe for more guides on how to have fun in a video game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It got a little ridiculous when I found out there were normal harvestable mushrooms in the third (?) zone that come up with the standard harvest icon but if you click them it's all UNLOCK MUSHROOM HARVESTING TO HARVEST THIS!!! Like, seriously? To me, this feels like a lack of confidence in the content they've built. Making people grind and waste time to get to something is what games do when their content isn't all the interesting in the first place, and they want you to feel like it's more important because you have to wait so long to get to it.

If this were original GW2 the mastery XP bars would be about 1/4 or 1/8 the size they are now, and you'd get enough to fill one after doing one or two event chains. I can run through these long chained events that take a good 30 minutes or more to complete and look down at my bar and notice it's hardly moved. This sure isn't the game I remember.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, anyone use that ICM combat mod have any luck getting it to work with HoT?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

xZAOx posted:

. . .

I couldn't help but think that if this had been in HoT, I would have killed the oversized chicken, and when I clicked the portal, I'd have gotten a big alert "UNLOCK TYRIAN PORTAL MASTERY TO USE THIS PORTAL!". After that grind, I'd have gone into the little area "UNLOCK VINE CLIMBING TO GET TO THE CHEST". Then "UNLOCK CHEST OPENING TO OPEN THE CHEST".

While I like the difficulty of the enemies and the really twisty layouts of the new zones, I agree that the mastery system backfired pretty hard.

I like the concrete masteries. I think gliding and the bouncing mushrooms are really great, because the ways by which you access new areas with those make physical sense. I can't get to that platform over there--but now my glider can catch updrafts, and hey, now I can glide far enough! Neat. But all the rest of the masteries feel like they're artificially gating stuff, just like you describe, and it sucks some of the magic out of discovery.

And here's the thing: you could have this exact same list of masteries and fix it by just not tying masteries to experience and instead giving you masteries via exploration. People on Reddit keep saying that they like it when things are gated behind masteries because it's like a "Metroidvania," to which I can only reply that I don't remember unlocking the super jump in Super Metroid by gaining experience until I'm allowed to pick it from a list. I just went and found it by exploring and it was cool. If, instead of needing to get experience and just somehow pick Exalted Lore out of a menu, I had to go and find some runic key to let me activate Exalted portals, that would've felt so much more natural and satisfying. I'd walk up to the portal stone and instead of "you need Exalted Lore to use this!" it would say "you don't understand these runes; if only you had some sort of cipher." Then you'd come back when you find the Exalted Cipher by gliding to some ruins in Auric Basin and exploring them and then you can use it!

I like the enemies, the events, the areas, the difficulty--but the way it's all laid out just kills that sense of discovery that you just described. And that's a shame.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 2, 2015

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ItBurns posted:

Most of the champ mobs are soloable and yelling in map chat and/or turning your tag on is enough to get a gaggle of warm bodies within 2 minutes.

Like and subscribe for more guides on how to have fun in a video game.

Totes unrelated to this post, but I'm too lazy to scroll back a few pages. Thanks for the rev build, spent a some time in the lab and it finally clicked.

I think VB and AB are pretty awesome, lots of hidden nooks and crannies. Also getting to all the places in the canopy during the day is fun as hell. The AB meta is fun and I think the only new meta that's tuned well. I'd probably like DS a lot more if I didn't crash so much.

TD, while having the best atmosphere, is a hot pile of rear end for getting around and actually playing in.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 2, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They changed the champ hero point challenges to have a ten minute timer, that should make most of them soloable if a bit tedious as long as you have some basic sustain which every class has access to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Come to think of it, we should've gotten masteries the same way we get hero points in Heart of Thorns.

Go to a place, find a thing, it gives you a mastery. Go out and find your glider. Then use that glider to get someplace you couldn't get without it to find an attachment that lets you catch updrafts with it. And if we have to fight champions at some of these, I think it'd be a lot easier to swallow than fighting champions for a handful of hero points. Instead of going through a long fight to get half of an unlock from your elite spec, you go through a long fight to get some leystone attachments so you can use your glider on leylines. That would be cool as gently caress.

They could even make the "optional" masteries, the ones you don't need for story steps, really difficult to get, or extremely well-hidden, or locked behind long meta-event chains that require a big group to beat the boss at the end. And then everyone gets Exalted Purification for beating the boss and it feels like you really did something to get it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Stanley Pain posted:

There's a control setting in GW2 that lets you enable action camera (toggle action camera, I think). It essentially does the same thing as ICM. Except you can't assign right click to dodge :argh:

Aug 24, 2011

chronomancer :stare:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yep, Chronomancer is incredible. Stupidly good in every way and I love it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Harrow posted:

While I like the difficulty of the enemies and the really twisty layouts of the new zones, I agree that the mastery system backfired pretty hard.

I like the concrete masteries. I think gliding and the bouncing mushrooms are really great, because the ways by which you access new areas with those make physical sense. I can't get to that platform over there--but now my glider can catch updrafts, and hey, now I can glide far enough! Neat. But all the rest of the masteries feel like they're artificially gating stuff, just like you describe, and it sucks some of the magic out of discovery.

And here's the thing: you could have this exact same list of masteries and fix it by just not tying masteries to experience and instead giving you masteries via exploration. People on Reddit keep saying that they like it when things are gated behind masteries because it's like a "Metroidvania," to which I can only reply that I don't remember unlocking the super jump in Super Metroid by gaining experience until I'm allowed to pick it from a list. I just went and found it by exploring and it was cool. If, instead of needing to get experience and just somehow pick Exalted Lore out of a menu, I had to go and find some runic key to let me activate Exalted portals, that would've felt so much more natural and satisfying. I'd walk up to the portal stone and instead of "you need Exalted Lore to use this!" it would say "you don't understand these runes; if only you had some sort of cipher." Then you'd come back when you find the Exalted Cipher by gliding to some ruins in Auric Basin and exploring them and then you can use it!

I like the enemies, the events, the areas, the difficulty--but the way it's all laid out just kills that sense of discovery that you just described. And that's a shame.

Man, I would be all about that. The hidden garden I found was great fun exactly like that. I couldn't open the chest - I had to go find the pieces to let me do it. Also yesterday, for the first time I did the matrix cube key. I've been playing through LS2 and had the item to charge up or whatever, and went around finding the key (granted that part wasn't so well designed), but charging it up was fun and rewarding to me.

More of that please.

Kajeesus posted:

I honestly can't say I've encountered any master bait and switches like you guys are talking about. Like, there's stuff I can't do, but it's clearly marked when I pass it on the way to stuff I can do, not at the end of a narrow passageway or past some pain in the rear end mobs.

Like, there were a couple of hero points in Verdant Brink that were hard to get to and required a new mastery to actually get, but their mastery requirements have already been patched out.

I think VB is also just a poor introduction to the mastery system. The first thing that happened to me when I zoned in was get that UNLOCK THIS MASTERY thing constantly. Seeing it several times within the first perhaps 10 minutes on the expansion leaves a sour taste, first impressions and all that. Yeah, you can fairly quickly grind out the base masteries, but that doesn't mean it's a poor design compared to the original. You also quickly learn to recognize "oh that's a mushroom, can't bounce yet", "that's an updraft, can't use yet", "that's a special plant, can't harvest yet", etc, but first time running to some events, it's just a downer for a game like GW2. Other MMOs it would be different.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Come to think of it, we should've gotten masteries the same way we get hero points in Heart of Thorns.

Go to a place, find a thing, it gives you a mastery. Go out and find your glider. Then use that glider to get someplace you couldn't get without it to find an attachment that lets you catch updrafts with it. And if we have to fight champions at some of these, I think it'd be a lot easier to swallow than fighting champions for a handful of hero points. Instead of going through a long fight to get half of an unlock from your elite spec, you go through a long fight to get some leystone attachments so you can use your glider on leylines. That would be cool as gently caress.

They could even make the "optional" masteries, the ones you don't need for story steps, really difficult to get, or extremely well-hidden, or locked behind long meta-event chains that require a big group to beat the boss at the end. And then everyone gets Exalted Purification for beating the boss and it feels like you really did something to get it.

I wonder what kind of company culture shift took place from "We're not going to do anything like a typical MMO" to "We're going to do everything like a typical MMO"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder what kind of company culture shift took place from "We're not going to do anything like a typical MMO" to "We're going to do everything like a typical MMO"

Part of what's going on with masteries, I think, is that they wanted to give experience points value again. This came up in WoodenPotatoes's recent video and it's something I forgot that they said pre-release.

I think they went the wrong direction. They noticed people didn't care about experience points, so they put in something new that we needed a whole heap of them for. Instead, I think they should've just... removed experience points. Just stop giving us those. We don't need them. Hell, now that hero points are a thing, I think there's very little reason for GW2 to have levels at all. If I remember correctly, ArenaNet even toyed with that idea in the early stages of GW2's development, just going level-less entirely, or having no level cap at all and just let it be a number that keeps increasing for no real purpose other than to show off.

But maybe that's just too drastic and they didn't think MMO players would accept it, so they leaned into XP instead and gave us something that would make us really want XP. And for some people (like WoodenPotatoes and other "give us more MMO-y stuff" players) seem quite pleased with that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dreggon posted:

actually in hindsight i answered my own question, there must be a pretty huge market in china and a lot of those people get their internet from net cafes (which run pirated copies of XP)

im extremely smart and clever and have a 190 IQ and work for mensa as a janitor (the one from good will hunting)

Does the chinese version of gw2 swap skeleton models to something else?

Do extra character slots ever go on sale?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 2, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Need to fly? Unlock glider mastery! Need to progress with story? Unlock mastery!

Basically HoT is just endless repetition of unlocking masteries to get anywhere.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

There's an updated version of it that was linked somewhere up the thread that is designed to work with the new action camera. It lets you rebind right mouse to whatever you want, too. It made the game a ton more playable for me, since I had a lot of muscle memory of using skill 2 on right mouse and not having that was killing me. I'd provide the link but I'm at work, so let your google be your guide.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

There are actually mastery points you can find and commune with, but they don't unlock anything. Also, the fact that points are separate from the xp required to use them is confusing and unintuitive.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

BobTheJanitor posted:

It got a little ridiculous when I found out there were normal harvestable mushrooms in the third (?) zone that come up with the standard harvest icon but if you click them it's all UNLOCK MUSHROOM HARVESTING TO HARVEST THIS!!! Like, seriously?

To me it seemed like a great simulation of a F2P account.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
At this point it's really, really easy to get to about 90% of the content in HoT. Like, gliding, updrafts, and mushrooms easy.

• Locked thread