Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, a friend pulled the stereotypical white girl move and dropped her phone in the toilet and needs a new one to get her through. What's the go to model and activation process for getting her a Moto G working on VZW (post paid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XIII posted:

So, a friend pulled the stereotypical white girl move and dropped her phone in the toilet and needs a new one to get her through. What's the go to model and activation process for getting her a Moto G working on VZW (post paid)
It's the nonexistent model and activation process.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
Two days with the 6P at my signal black hole of a hospital, and I left work after 12 hour shifts with 75% and 80% battery.

The vibration is so loving anemic, though. I never feel it in my scrubs pocket, and if I didn't have my moto360 (or it doesn't get the notifications for some reason, like today), I never know when I get texts or calls unless I obsessively check my phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

XIII posted:

Actually if she needs the cheapest phone in a pinch, she can probably buy a Verizon Moto e.

If you pop her old postpaid SIM into the phone before ever turning it on out of the package, it'll work great.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

JAF07 posted:

Two days with the 6P at my signal black hole of a hospital, and I left work after 12 hour shifts with 75% and 80% battery.

No airplane mode or anything? I too work in a bottomless pit of cell service hospital (in radiology with a lot of lead lined walls) and I have to use airplane mode on my 2014 X to keep the battery from tanking as the radios keep trying to latch onto 2g.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
So you can finally order the Nexus 5X in Germany. Plus you get a new Chromecast for free. I already have one but I guess I can sell the other one as new so there's that.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Finally the first nightly for G4 got released! Works pretty solid. Only drawback is you don't get the stock camera with direct HW support.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/development/h811-h815-blisspop-cyanogenmod-12-1-t3185593

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

No airplane mode or anything? I too work in a bottomless pit of cell service hospital (in radiology with a lot of lead lined walls) and I have to use airplane mode on my 2014 X to keep the battery from tanking as the radios keep trying to latch onto 2g.

Nope. Admittedly I work on the top floor, but I also have to run all over the hospital for stroke alerts, usually down to radiology. Furthermore, even with working on the top floor, my Nexus 5 would be in battery saver mode or dead by 4pm. This is with WiFi turned off, because our hospital WiFi is so spotty it tries to power itself by eating cellphone batteries.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

While the 5X seems to be available on the other side of the pond now, I'm playing with the idea of letting a friend import me one when she's in California next year.
Would I still be able to RMA it with Google here or would I have to send it back to the US ?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Any tips on how to deal with security and Malware on a Galaxy S4 Active? A couple days ago my phone prompted me with a warning about how it was trying to install a custom OS. I denied it permission, but subsequent virus/malware scans didn't turn anything up.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ilkhan posted:

Yes, as far as I know. I'll be sad when it stops getting updates, mine is still my primary reading device.

I have one and it's the perfect tablet but sadly it isn't going to get 6.0 I believe

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Amazon has the 2014 Moto X for $200 unlocked today only.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWI4LD0

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For Moto X Pure Style owners, I've had the phone for about a week now and I'm still getting pretty serious hitching constantly. Anyone else had this problem? I can be web browsing (hitches and losing tracking), texting, playing games, whatever.

Any good software I can use to see what's causing a CPU spike or anything like that? I'm not sure if something screwy is running or something's wrong with the phone or it's just still working itself out, but it's getting seriously annoying already.
It's really uncommon on my Pure but if it does slow down I just open the recent apps list and swipe off everything. The thread spergs will tell you that Android memory management is perfect in every way but this works for me. Not sure which app bogs it down from time to time but it's probably one of my games.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I'm getting my 6P today, but I was reading up on the app data backup that was introduced in Marshmallow, and it turns out apps have to opt-in with 6.0 final instead of the system backing up everything or letting the user decide. This is poppycock because I got really far in Desert Golfing and as far as I can tell it doesn't use Google Play Games, so nothing is backed up. I assume there's no way to move the app data without rooting?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tvgm2 posted:

I'm getting my 6P today, but I was reading up on the app data backup that was introduced in Marshmallow, and it turns out apps have to opt-in with 6.0 final instead of the system backing up everything or letting the user decide. This is poppycock because I got really far in Desert Golfing and as far as I can tell it doesn't use Google Play Games, so nothing is backed up. I assume there's no way to move the app data without rooting?

Badger the developer. They might have an update planned...maybe.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Red Crown posted:

Any tips on how to deal with security and Malware on a Galaxy S4 Active? A couple days ago my phone prompted me with a warning about how it was trying to install a custom OS. I denied it permission, but subsequent virus/malware scans didn't turn anything up.

Turning off Unknown Sources is about all you can do. Virus scanners etc are next to useless. Google can remotely pull malicious apps from your phone before the virus software will even be updated to detect them. What you might have seen was the warning some phones give if you try and boot into recovery mode which you may have done by accident.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Right at 3 weeks - so is this battery life on my 2015 Moto XP good, average, or bad? I charged it 100% last night around 8pm PST.

half of the 18% app usage is just android system/os

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 2, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

sbaldrick posted:

I have one and it's the perfect tablet but sadly it isn't going to get 6.0 I believe
It already has factory images available, just no OTA for it. Which is fine with me, I need to wipe mine anyway.

I pulled my N6P off the charger last night, woke up with 97% battery. Wow.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tvgm2 posted:

Nah, the default behaviour is for apps to back up their non-cache data, so long as it's been saved in the normal way and not stuck in some weird folder somewhere. The user has to opt-in to Google Services, which if you're using an Android phone you probably did when you first got it. Apps specifically have to opt out - and maybe a lot of them have

https://developer.android.com/training/backup/autosyncapi.html#configuring

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the reason it doesn't actually work for most apps right now is that they aren't built to target 6.0. This should improve slowly over time.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Hate Fedex, my 6p has been out for delivery since Saturday.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the auto-backup to Drive business - is there any way of actually managing the backed-up data?

It's irrational - probably - but if I decide I no longer want to use an app, I'd rather have its backed-up data removed as well.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

5436 posted:

Hate Fedex, my 6p has been out for delivery since Saturday.

Yeah, mine was "overnighted" Friday, which ended up sitting in Newark all weekend then showed up today.

At least I get to play with it in a couple hours!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bronin posted:

So you can finally order the Nexus 5X in Germany. Plus you get a new Chromecast for free. I already have one but I guess I can sell the other one as new so there's that.
We can order in Belgium, finally, too. However no free Chromecast. I've ordered in the UK a few weeks ago at Clove, and even with shipping it was still cheaper than what Google wants.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
My 5X just arrived, initial thoughts echo what's already been posted:

-transfer process from old phone via Google Settings ( not be confused with "Settings" ) was simple and painless although it does take awhile to re-download everything, except for trying to remember my Google password. Very satisfying to not install the lovely carrier & brand specific apps

-size is perfect, it's nearly identical to my old Z2, no need to get new size 50 camo cargo jorts with larger pockets, one-handed operations maintained as normal

-performance is great so far, coming from the Z2 which was showing it's age, it's nice to not have to wait 10 seconds for some apps to load up

-camera is great, not huge leaps and bounds over the Z2 but low-light catte pics are way better - tons of more details, even being able to see and identify individual hairs. It used to be a generally blurry mess on the Z2

-fingerprint stuff while still a little :tinfoil: is pretty great, so fast, no need for pattern anymore ( but I left it on for initial start up)

-screen is great, not sure if it's confirmation bias but it seems better than the Z2's but that could just be because of the smaller icons

-marshmallow is pretty nice, other than the change to the grid in the stock launcher though ( which is nice - love the smaller icons and more space ) not sure what big changes if any there are from Lollipop

-I bought the Speck "military grade" case from Google, and it is fantastic - it's way slimmer than I thought ( I was expecting like old school otter box ) and is very grippy even without additional tape, I feel secure

-usb c cable/charger is terrifying to unplug, requires a lot of force, plugging in is fine though

-Nice upgrade, feels like a good buy.

[edit] I agree on the vibrations, they do feel "weak" but it's not a thing I really ever paid attention to since I normally use my watch for notifications.

hooah posted:

TollTheHounds, why do you put spaces between parentheses and the words they're surrounding? I've never seen that outside of code. It's a little weird when a line break hits your space so e.g. the closing parenthesis is on the next line!

I used to code so maybe it originated there, I don't really think about it these days but if I were to guess I'd say it's an aesthetic preference. I hate it when letters are RIGHT NEXT to a parenthesis or any other punctuation ( I always put a space after a , or a . also ). It makes it look sloppy and like everything runs together. :spergin: :shrug:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Punctuation is for losers, and furthermore

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah, mine was "overnighted" Friday, which ended up sitting in Newark all weekend then showed up today.

At least I get to play with it in a couple hours!

Mines been 'in delivery' in Brooklyn since 4am Saturday. I saw 1 fedex note on the door at lunch for another apartment. It feels like my box has been lost in the abyss.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I ordered my 5X on Friday and it got in today at 14:00. Canada Post. :canada:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Have there been any good Anandtech-style, in depth reviews of the 6P yet? Anyone trustworthy say anything about the 810 thermal throttling that's plagued other 810 phones in the past?

I would really be fine with the 5X except I just don't like the looks of it. AFAICT by handling similar sized phones, I'm equally uncomfortable with the large size of the 5X or the 6P, so I might just go with the 6P since I like its looks so much more.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
My frost white 6P is coming today and I can't find any good cases :cry:

I really just want a bumper or something that shows off that sexy white back, but all I can find is ridiculously colored cases or black.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

SB35 posted:

My frost white 6P is coming today and I can't find any good cases :cry:

I really just want a bumper or something that shows off that sexy white back, but all I can find is ridiculously colored cases or black.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0170TTSJC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_NN8nwb5SAK4QS

That's my temporary solution until Rhino Shield releases the bumper case they say they're making for the 6P. They have a clear one too, but at the time of ordering the smoke/clear version had Prime and I didn't want to wait any longer to get a case on this thing; it's slippery and I know I'll drop it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Mad at DHL. Got my 5x tonight 2 minutes after the carrier store closed so I can't get a replacement SIM until tomorrow. What's the best tool to transfer texts from an old phone to a new one? Oh, and on the stock launcher - does it keep icons of apps around after they update on Marshmallow? My Galaxy S3 didn't.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is it possible to do the initial setup NFC restore after completing said initial setup? I'll probably have to complete setup to test the SIM card on my new 5X once I get it from the shop, but since my old phone's screen is busted, I need to be at my workstation with androidscreencast to initiate the restore.

e:

pun pundit posted:

Oh, and on the stock launcher - does it keep icons of apps around after they update on Marshmallow? My Galaxy S3 didn't.

I dunno about Marshmallow but for Lollipop, it seems like it keeps launcher layout when using NFC restore but not when using manual restore through Google backup:

quote:

You don't get the Google Now Launcher homescreen layout restore like you do with Tap & Go, nor do you get automatically opted-in to Google Now, but that's not hard to do on your own.

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 2, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

pun pundit posted:

Mad at DHL. Got my 5x tonight 2 minutes after the carrier store closed so I can't get a replacement SIM until tomorrow. What's the best tool to transfer texts from an old phone to a new one? Oh, and on the stock launcher - does it keep icons of apps around after they update on Marshmallow? My Galaxy S3 didn't.

I've used this app to transfer texts from phone to phone for years, and it's never let me down:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

pun pundit posted:

What's the best tool to transfer texts from an old phone to a new one?

I've always used SMS Backup & Restore with no issues. It creates an xml file, you copy it over to the new phone and restore from there.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

edit: I guess I'm too slow!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Or just use SMS backup+ to send it all to gmail, and then never worry about it again

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The first monthly Android security update is now live and beginning to be pushed to Nexus devices.

Time to begin the scorecard for manufacturers pushing these monthly updates.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

The first monthly Android security update is now live and beginning to be pushed to Nexus devices.

I wonder what wake locks this one will cause.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Rastor posted:

That's actually the third or even fourth one. They started doing it in August/September and October definitely had one. So you can already judge them if they're slow on incorporating the October one at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Not the first. Third or fourth. No idea how other OEMs are keeping up.

Edit: Beaten. But yeah, that.