Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Machinima/Vessel Adventures have resumed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQhwz0m17M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know, I'm rewatching Until Dawn and I think the first major choice with Chris is actually pretty interestingly designed. It's one of those actually-you-have-no-choice moments, but it's done in a way that the LOGIC of why you have no choice makes sense in both outcomes. It's been a while since the LP but I'll spoiler tag it anyway.

So you have to choose between either Josh or Ashley to get sawed in half by the blade. But you can't pick Ashley, no matter which way you flip the lever. The track always locks in with Josh and he always dies.

But what's clever about it is that the psycho doesn't actually explain WHAT the lever does, which puts it in the hands of the player to decide in that split second before acting, what the lever will do and who to flip it toward. If you point it toward Ashley, it turns out that the lever chose which one to save. If you point it toward Josh, it turns out the lever points toward the one you want to sacrifice. In hindsight, we know that the lever does nothing and Josh rigged it to move toward himself no matter what; but in the moment, it's up to the player to decide not just who to save, but what is the correct action to perform in order to choose who to save.

The game assumes you want to save Ashley, and if you do then either choice ends up being right... but if you want to save Josh, you still have to guess what the lever will do. If you point it toward Josh (to save Josh), it turns out you were wrong and he dies. If you point it toward Ashley (to sacrifice Ashley), it turns out you were wrong and he dies. I find it really fascinating that they combined a blind guess like that and a choice that has the same outcome to give the illusion of control over the story. They present a situation where you, the player, have exactly as much knowledge as Chris, the character, which allows you to stand in his shoes in a way that a lot of games try to do and then gently caress up. But it's different than, say, a Telltale game, where the paths diverge and then combine to form the same result. In this choice, there is no way to diverge the paths at all, but the interactivity the fake choice provides is much more interesting than if there never was a choice at all.

And also, they tied the choice being fake into the story, which was cool too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 1, 2015

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What does Josh say afterwards if you decide to "save" him? Is he at least grateful that Chris picked him over Ashley?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What happens is that he won't try to taunt Chris after he's captured and tied up, instead he'll start insulting Michael for not being man enough for Jessica I think.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Kins posted:

The Machinima/Vessel Adventures have resumed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQhwz0m17M

Matt definitely edited this since it leaves in a part where Pat looks dumb

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you don't like Liam's weaboo boner, avoid the first 10 minutes of today's life is strange

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

glad they're doing soma. it's not the spookiest or high-pitched screamiest, but it is really cool.

it is the Canadianest though

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 1, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tae posted:

If you don't like Liam's weaboo boner, avoid the first 10 minutes of today's life is strange

Or not? All they did was make a few jokes about the Japanese dub sounding really funny and it definitely didn't go on for 10 minutes straight.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm asking in this thread because Matt and Woolie are two of the only people on Earth who played Mad Max, but any birthday's coming up so I'm considering asking for it. Is this a good idea?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Matt wanting to solve all their problems in the newest episode of Life is Strange by using wrestling moves is the best. :swoon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm very much looking forward to their reaction to (extremely minor episode 5 spoiler) the many portrayals of Hawt Dog Man.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The last episode of LiS is really good up until the ending, it's one of the things that the time I finished it I was like "Yeah that was okay" but longer I sit on it more disgruntled I become about it all.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Pretty much guessing the ending entirely since the first episode, made the fifth a slog for me.

My main issue is that this exact same plot has been done before and better in animes like Madoka, Steins Gate, and even Evangelion when Max breaks the time continuum

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mesothelioma posted:

Pretty much guessing the ending entirely since the first episode, made the fifth a slog for me.

My main issue is that this exact same plot has been done before and better in animes like Madoka, Steins Gate, and even Evangelion when Max breaks the time continuum

Get hosed weeblord

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
How is the story for LiS, not done yet after what we just saw. where else is this going to go?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Al-Saqr posted:

How is the story for LiS, not done yet after what we just saw. where else is this going to go?

You're forgetting one small thing, I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al-Saqr posted:

This, but for the first episode

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Get hosed weeblord

you sound upset

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Indecisive posted:

yea that cabin fever whatever it's called was real forgettable, but the guys freaking out at the cardboard cuteys in Spooky's House of Jumpscares was great :allears:

Ok, well I thought it was one of the best videos we've ever done, and I had a blast playing it.

To each his own, I guess.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Matt, I know negative feedback can be a total bummer, why you gotta worry about the one dude who didn't like the video?

Both-guys-blind stuff can be hilarious (like Spookys) but I really appreciate the format of having one guy blind, one guy knows what to do.

e: V Also that. Congrats man.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Congratulations on the wedding, Matt! :dance:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Congrats on becoming Mr. Pizza Pasta, Matt! I still wanna bend your ear for a second about if Mad Max is worth receiving as a birthday gift, but that can wait until post honeymoon.

Also Spooky's House of Jumpscares is great and I wouldn't mind a Leftovers of it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I would congratulate you on your wedding and poo poo but you got Superman stuck in my head for the next week or so, you terrible Matt person you. :colbert: but congrats anyway!

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Solaris Knight posted:

Congrats on becoming Mr. Pizza Pasta, Matt! I still wanna bend your ear for a second about if Mad Max is worth receiving as a birthday gift, but that can wait until post honeymoon.

Also Spooky's House of Jumpscares is great and I wouldn't mind a Leftovers of it.

We'll definitely take another look at Spooky's for sure!

And yeah, I think Mad Max is pretty good, not amazing or anything.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Congrats on the weddings Matt!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Grats on the wedding duder. Those cufflinks are baller as gently caress too!

TheRealestMatt posted:

We'll definitely take another look at Spooky's for sure!
yessssss :unsmigghh:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
as a married man, i would like to welcome you to married life. its really good

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Besides the fact that Max has been majorly loving with the timeline which could possibly have consequences, there's also the minor issue of that giant tornado that she's been having visions of since the beginning.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
I wonder how Woolie will feel about this

TL;DR Reboot got greenlit for a 26 episode season.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

conmattulations on entering holy mattrimony, uh, Matt

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Warren posted:

I wonder how Woolie will feel about this

TL;DR Reboot got greenlit for a 26 episode season.

I don't think he's a fan of the whole "four kids enter the computer world" and "live action segments" stuff. I'm certainly not, because it makes me think of the kinds of stuff on YTV that would make me change the channel as a kid.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think he's a fan of the whole "four kids enter the computer world" and "live action segments" stuff. I'm certainly not, because it makes me think of the kinds of stuff on YTV that would make me change the channel as a kid.

In all honesty, if the CG segments are really good, it's going to lose some of the charm. Part of the fun of Reboot was the very polygonal "beep boop we are inside of your computer" aesthetic that ran through the whole series, even with the visual bump in seasons 2 and 3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

The new reboot sounds a lot like Zixx, which was terrible

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The new reboot sounds a lot like Zixx, which was terrible

quote:

This series was developed by Savi Media and The Nightingale Company & Rainmaker Entertainment with YTV Original Productions.

:v:

Radio Paranoia posted:

In all honesty, if the CG segments are really good, it's going to lose some of the charm. Part of the fun of Reboot was the very polygonal "beep boop we are inside of your computer" aesthetic that ran through the whole series, even with the visual bump in seasons 2 and 3.

Well CG can be "good" without looking realistic. But yeah, I think it's important they go for an aesthetic that's not realistic, or it's going to lose what made Reboot, reboot. I'm more worried about the juxtaposition of real world + CG world, since that tends to be a formula for lame childrens show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Congrats, Matt!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

Going by the CG segments I've seen on TV recently, keeping that old 90s aesthetic won't be too difficult.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where's my Code Lyoko reboot, I need five-heads in HD dammit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Congrats on the wedding, Mr.MacMooses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

It goes nowhere for the rest of the episode and is bad, hth