Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, post 9/11, the general public has a lot of misconceptions about how large buildings collapse.

Yeah, I said "expectations", not that they actually learned anything or were informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, post 9/11, the general public has a lot of misconceptions about how large buildings collapse.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, debra

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, debra

That's one of those, " I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that" phrases.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

So I just watched House of the Devil, and man it ia fantastic, I just need to verify with other peoole that the reason she passes out is because the pizza was drugged?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Celluloid Sam posted:

So I just watched House of the Devil, and man it ia fantastic, I just need to verify with other peoole that the reason she passes out is because the pizza was drugged?

Yes. It's the Ulman's son that delivers it to her. I don't recall if we see anything that shows that he kills the real delivery person and takes the pizza, but that's what I assume happens if we aren't shown that.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Detective Thompson posted:

Yes. It's the Ulman's son that delivers it to her. I don't recall if we see anything that shows that he kills the real delivery person and takes the pizza, but that's what I assume happens if we aren't shown that.

I honestly think it was setup from the start, it aounded like him on the phone and the pizza guy was really weird and sketchy even when she first calls for it, I knew it was their son I just wanted verification, so thank you! I'm watching The Innkeepers now, since ai really dug House of the Devil

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, you're probably right about that, especially since they gave her the money/number. It's been a while since I've seen it. Innkeepers is pretty good, too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My favorite thing about the pizza in House of the Devil is at the beginning when she goes to her normal place and says "it tastes funny today," establishing doubt for her at the end of the movie that it's drugged.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Innkeepers isn't quite as good but it still does a wonderful job of ramping up tension. I found out I am a giant scardey cat and had to pause it several times.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

david_a posted:

The Innkeepers isn't quite as good but it still does a wonderful job of ramping up tension. I found out I am a giant scardey cat and had to pause it several times.

Innkeepers is definitely a weaker movie, but I think it also has a couple scares that work better than any of the horror in HotD. Unfortunately it's also just a really inconsistent movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

edit: Wrong thread

Cacator fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2015

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
In the film Paprika, how is it possible that Konakawa physically kills Osanai in a dream? Is it possible that the shock from experiencing a seemingly very real and vivid death itself killed him?
Furthermore, did any of the events at the end of the film, when the Chairman is tearing apart the city and the general populace are jumping off roofs and generally losing their marbles, actually physically happen?
Or am I missing the point altogether? Ambiguity between reality/dreams is obviously a major part of the film and I can understand leaving questions like mine for the viewer to decide.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 18, 2015

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What's the name of that old movie with the famous "jump scare" caused by nothing so much as a car suddenly passing a woman on a quiet street? I think it even has a trope named after it, but I can't remember either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Wachter posted:

What's the name of that old movie with the famous "jump scare" caused by nothing so much as a car suddenly passing a woman on a quiet street? I think it even has a trope named after it, but I can't remember either.
The sublime Lewton/Tourneur joint Cat People (1942). It's a bus.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Brilliant. Thank you so much!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do dvds come inside cardboard slipcovers identical to the cover on the case?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do dvds come inside cardboard slipcovers identical to the cover on the case?

I'd assume because it looks nice and covers up the cheap-looking security plastic

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I always liked the slipcovers because removing those stupid security stickers on the case creases always left me with torn dvd cover art.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MacheteZombie posted:

I always liked the slipcovers because removing those stupid security stickers on the case creases always left me with torn dvd cover art.
Good lord how do you open them, with your teeth?

Actually I take that back I've opened DVD and CD cases' tape with my teeth in a pinch. Never in my life tore up the cover.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Good lord how do you open them, with your teeth?

Actually I take that back I've opened DVD and CD cases' tape with my teeth in a pinch. Never in my life tore up the cover.

The sticker part would, without fail, somehow get between the plastic cover, onto the art sheet, and tear a chunk (it wasn't always a huge chunk or the whole picture, but just enough to bother me) of the cover art with it.

And I had used my teeth before, also my nails, keys, a knife, etc.

It was such a relief when my first order of Criterion Blu-Rays came in and didn't have those drat stickers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I haven't seen either Straw Dogs. If I was going to watch only one, should I watch the original or the remake?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The original, easily

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just noticed Y Tu Mama Tambien is on Netflix, it says it's R rated. I saw the Unrated cut in theaters when it first came out and the R rated dvd later that they released to Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. Does anyone know which cut they have on Netflix, because if it's the later that's loving bullshit. I want to show it to friends, but I'll track down the better version if I need to.

Edit: It's the Unrated cut if anyone is interested. Which you should be, because it's an amazing film.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 1, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

I just noticed Y Tu Mama Tambien is on Netflix, it says it's R rated. I saw the Unrated cut in theaters when it first came out and the R rated dvd later that they released to Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. Does anyone know which cut they have on Netflix, because if it's the later that's loving .

Or, more precisely, not loving.

Edit: To actually answer your question, it's the unrated cut. The R-rated cut removes the "pre-orgasmic thrusting" from the very first scene, according to an article in a reputable film journal, so this looks like the full version.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was using it as a modifier, not a verb, but yeah, basically.

Actually, I decided to check myself and managed to skip exactly to where I knew they cut it for the censored version, and it's not cut.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: To actually answer your question, it's the unrated cut. The R-rated cut removes the "pre-orgasmic thrusting" from the very first scene, according to an article in a reputable film journal, so this looks like the full version.

We're just editing on top of each other, the way I knew it was the better version:
End film spoilers the cut version edits out the two male protaganists kissing during the climactic (no pun intended) sex scene, when I decided to check I managed to land on them with locked lips instantly, which was a cut that seriously changes the vibe of the film, much more than showing a couple extra thrusts between a heterosexual high school couple having sex

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, you're not wrong, but I just mentioned the first scene because it doesn't involve spoilers and it was the quickest way to determine the answer to your question.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but I just mentioned the first scene because it doesn't involve spoilers and it was the quickest way to determine the answer to your question.

I get it, that was just the major cut I could remember since it's been almost 15 years since I've seen any version of it.

I love that the director's next movie after this one was Harry Potter 3.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What happened to that guy Dileep Rao? He had three decent-sized roles in movies that were all major hits in the space of a year (Drag Me to Hell, Inception and Avatar) and then disappeared and appears to not have really been in anything since. Is it just a case of there not being enough roles for brown dudes in Hollywood, and that he happened to have a fluke streak in a year which there was?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There are so few roles for Indians and other asians Aziz Ansari had to cast his own parents to play his parents. They aren't even actors, they were just the only brown people over 30 he could find.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I loathe Aziz Ansari but he's on point in regard to Indian casting

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Everblight posted:

There are so few roles for Indians and other asians Aziz Ansari had to cast his own parents to play his parents. They aren't even actors, they were just the only brown people over 30 he could find.

Not really what he's said on the matter...

"There's not a ton of older Indian people that are out there in the acting game, so I wrote these characters kind of based on my parents, and I couldn't find anyone who really felt like my parents, so I just got my parents to do it," Ansari tells PEOPLE. "They did a fantastic job."

http://www.people.com/article/aziz-ansari-master-none-netflix-parents-first-look

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just saw Total Recall for the first time, and it's a movie I totally should have watched earlier. My question is is there a legitimate case to make about it all being real? Because from what I saw, Quaid suffering a schizoid delusion based on having the memories implanted into him seems like the most probable theory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just saw Total Recall for the first time, and it's a movie I totally should have watched earlier. My question is is there a legitimate case to make about it all being real? Because from what I saw, Quaid suffering a schizoid delusion based on having the memories implanted into him seems like the most probable theory.

I mean it's intentionally open-ended? There's literally no evidence to prove that it's either way. You could even argue that Melina being in the computer at Rekall is because she was a prostitute on mars and they had the rights to her likeness. That's the biggest piece of evidence that it is a dream, but the fact that he dreams about her before he goes to Rekall for the first time is the biggest evidence that it isn't.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Like to think of it as he intentionally builds a woman at Rekall like the one he knew and mentally sees her face as he loses consciousness.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

All 3 possibilities real / holiday implant working as intended / schizoid embolism are equally valid. Takes half the fun out of the movie if you try to argue that one is more correct.

But if you're looking for other pointers towards it being genuine - Quaid dreams about Melina before anything kicks off is the biggie. And if it's not real then Rekall do a good job to keep their plots up to date to tie in with the news that morning.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

But couldn't you argue that they use a client's own thoughts to help detail the niceties of the world?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cerv posted:

All 3 possibilities real / holiday implant working as intended / schizoid embolism are equally valid. Takes half the fun out of the movie if you try to argue that one is more correct.

But if you're looking for other pointers towards it being genuine - Quaid dreams about Melina before anything kicks off is the biggie. And if it's not real then Rekall do a good job to keep their plots up to date to tie in with the news that morning.

In the (almost entirely different) short story, it's all a fantasy but the fantasy is inspired by the fact that the lead character has blocked memories that are almost identical to the fantasy. He is left with both sets of similar but contradictory memories, which leads him to try again, this time with a more absurd, deeper fantasy which also turns out to be based on real, blocked memories. The movie reads best the same way, but less explicitly. It's all a dream, Based on a True Story. But Quaid is the savior of all Mars (as Quail is for Earth in the story) because without him, they'll all literally cease to exist.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DeimosRising posted:

In the (almost entirely different) short story, it's all a fantasy but the fantasy is inspired by the fact that the lead character has blocked memories that are almost identical to the fantasy. He is left with both sets of similar but contradictory memories, which leads him to try again, this time with a more absurd, deeper fantasy which also turns out to be based on real, blocked memories. The movie reads best the same way, but less explicitly. It's all a dream, Based on a True Story. But Quaid is the savior of all Mars (as Quail is for Earth in the story) because without him, they'll all literally cease to exist.

I absolutely adore the short story. It is one of those rare instances of an absolutely perfect ending -- a story that could not have ended any other way, and yet (despite all the clues being there in the text) takes you entirely by surprise the first time you read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

I absolutely adore the short story. It is one of those rare instances of an absolutely perfect ending -- a story that could not have ended any other way, and yet (despite all the clues being there in the text) takes you entirely by surprise the first time you read it.

I would wager at least 90% of people finish that story and then, aloud, go, "Wait, what?"