Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

lol they're gonna make another TV series...

http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

... based on the JJTrek movies.

oh god this is exactly what I was afraid of

I think I had a nightmare about it once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

chaosbreather posted:

Everyone is guilty, the puzzle is to figure out who is guilty of what.

this would be baller

Oh you thought Larat planted the bomb in the Klingon restaurant? No, that was Marek setting up Larat using Emon (the Romulan double-agent) as a patsy. Larat dropped the screw in the yamok sauce. Now you've condemned a guilty man to an even worse punishment!

My favorite was when the Cardassian lawyer goes "I won! I won a case! :haw: ...I won a case :smith:"

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

sinking belle posted:

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

This leads me to believe it's either going to be in the "prime" universe or just yet another reboot altogether. This statement doesn't rule out it taking place in the JJ-verse, but with the weird rights distribution where CBS owns the TV rights and Paramount owns the movie rights, they probably won't even have it in the same continuity.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who will be the first hot-shotted TNG cameo offered mid season up in a desperate appeal to jump start failed ratings? I'm willing to bet its going to be John DeLancie playing some sly Q-incognito with it all ending the episode on a sly wink to the camera and a flash of light.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

shadow puppet of a posted:

Who will be the first hot-shotted TNG cameo offered mid season up in a desperate appeal to jump start failed ratings? I'm willing to bet its going to be John DeLancie playing some sly Q-incognito with it all ending the episode on a sly wink to the camera and a flash of light.

Miley Cyrus playing an androgynous pan-sexual alien

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Booblord Zagats posted:

Miley Cyrus playing an androgynous pan-sexual alien

That is more like second episode fodder then they still think there is a chance to lure generation hashtag by roling out the Communicator's SnapChat™ function so you can follow sexy Andorian Ambassador Kelmek's SnapChat™ story between commercial breaks. Then miley will appear in the ship's bar, that looks a lot like a Chipotle™ to play him a thinly veiled song song about rimjobs while wearing thin veils.

At first they'll try to drive away the HAM radio & Lt. Cmdr Data-loving crowd with modernity then come crawling back.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
* Surly, grouchy but brilliant young kid who occasionally saves the whole ship using his Iphone (captures millenials)

* Divorced dad retired-soldier captain guy (captures aging nerd men)

* Alien who switches genders frequently has running conflict with ignorant crewman who refuses to use correct pronoun

* Autistic character (For actual trekkies who will watch anyway no matter what)

*Conflicted half-klingon, half-vulcan half-romulan (Ties the setting) (Also psychic) (Dies in season 2 closer)

* Strong independent woman who kung-fu fights in a leather V-kini

* Actual main character young officer with promise audience insert

* Couple racial token characters (doctors or whatever)

* War against sneaky religious aliens who wear towels on their heads

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
*tainted Borg type character that has huge tits

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Honestly, if the only change this results in is just slightly more bloom, I'm okay with the change. The new Trek universe has been so poorly fleshed out that they can honestly just do the same old poo poo they've always done with Star Trek and barely refer back to the new films.

I just don't see how they could ever hope to do anything as complex as Deep Space Nine with the shallow world they are now playing in.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Honestly, if the only change this results in is just slightly more bloom, I'm okay with the change. The new Trek universe has been so poorly fleshed out that they can honestly just do the same old poo poo they've always done with Star Trek and barely refer back to the new films.

I just don't see how they could ever hope to do anything as complex as Deep Space Nine with the shallow world they are now playing in.

Or even like Voyager when it takes twenty seconds to fly from Qo'nos to Earth :v:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I don't think anything will top DS9 and its spiraling plots interconnected.

I'm thinking a new ST TV reboot will be more mad men then DS9

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I just want two Trek shows: one a traditional Trek show, like TOS and TNG, and one a spin-off designed to show off a new corner of the universe. Maybe do something kind of weird and have it centered around a restaurant in space. That way you can do lavish sets and have people in civilian clothes, but also have big state dinners and Starfleet officers coming 'round for the best plate of Torellian Squash Maggots in the whole quadrant.

Maybe a weird cross between Downton Abbey, Star Trek, and throw in a murder mystery subplot underneath it all. The best part would be to have Hannibal-esque food for all the weird alien dishes, and one of the main cast is a belligerent four-armed alien Frenchman.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The new Trek universe has had 5 hours of onscreen world-building, while by the first episode of DS9, Trek.Rev1 had 150+ hours of onscreen world building, including TOS, TNG and a pile of movies. Several TNG episodes were designed to introduce concepts specifically for DS9. A dark, gritty Trek with complex narrative arcs can exist again, but it won't hit HoloTube after well after Donald Trump has left his second term in office.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tujague posted:

* Alien who switches genders frequently has running conflict with ignorant crewman who refuses to use correct pronoun
Unironically would love this

quote:

oh man I had forgotten all about the suliban

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I can't see any incentive for CBS to shoot higher than lowest-denominator poo poo with lots of desktop CGI, especially if they hired the guy who 'wrote' JJ Trek and they're in the process of learning that a 7$ monthly subscription to their TV shows is a retarded business model

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Being reminded of JJTrek makes me anxious about JJWars.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
They shoulda given it to Brad Bird. MI:4 >>> MI:3. It's pretty simple math.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Tujague posted:

* Surly, grouchy but brilliant young kid who occasionally saves the whole ship using his Iphone (captures millenials)

* Divorced dad retired-soldier captain guy (captures aging nerd men)

* Autistic character (For actual trekkies who will watch anyway no matter what)

*Conflicted half-klingon, half-vulcan half-romulan (Ties the setting) (Also psychic) (Dies in season 2 closer)

* Strong independent woman who kung-fu fights in a leather V-kini

* Actual main character young officer with promise audience insert

* Couple racial token characters (doctors or whatever)

As if genetic disorders like autism or trans won't be screened out in the just 24th century LOL

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

As if genetic disorders like autism or trans won't be screened out in the just 24th century LOL

You neurotypical bastard.

As long as there are people, we'll be there, following train schedules, watching my little pony, ranting about things no one is interested in. How can your genetic screening filter us out when we already don't breed?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Personally I think the next Trek should just be about Quark

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The new Trek universe has had 5 hours of onscreen world-building, while by the first episode of DS9, Trek.Rev1 had 150+ hours of onscreen world building, including TOS, TNG and a pile of movies. Several TNG episodes were designed to introduce concepts specifically for DS9. A dark, gritty Trek with complex narrative arcs can exist again, but it won't hit HoloTube after well after Donald Trump has left his second term in office.

Well Enterprise is like 70 hours.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kitchner posted:

Personally I think the next Trek should just be about Quark

He finally got that moon he wanted, but now Space Court has forced Brunt to be his butler! Can they get along in the Denorius Belt? 7/8PM central, only on CBS: America's Most Watched Network.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Suicide watched.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Orange Sunshine posted:

You neurotypical bastard.

As long as there are people, we'll be there, following train schedules, watching my little pony, ranting about things no one is interested in. How can your genetic screening filter us out when we already don't breed?

Well joking aside you know that things like that aren't always caused by people with those genes passing them on through mating right?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
We're all going to watch it but lol if you actually pay for it

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Well joking aside you know that things like that aren't always caused by people with those genes passing them on through mating right?

If gay people didn't give birth to gay people, where did all these gay people come from? Applies to those other things as well although the MLP thing is probably a recent genetic mutation.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

We're all going to watch it but lol if you actually pay for it

loving lol if you pay to watch television programming

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not autism it's rigeliian neuroshunting radiation effects.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Everyone knows that autism is caused be vaccines.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder what color Tobin Dax's recolor of Sonic the Hedgehog was.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Apparently since CBS and Paramont are splitsville, its going to be different to the JJTrek poo poo. I'm hoping they decide to stay in the timeline that the Enterprise came from when they went back in time in First Contact breaking the temporal prime directive like crazy for no reason to create that alternate timeline that only Enterprise, the rest of the movies and the weird supernova that destroyed the galaxy was in.

Or, what if it was set in a bakery? They could talk about yeast and so on.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I am very excited to be disappointed. Also I would pay a dollar a month to be disappointed by CBS.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

At least the writer they brought on from jj-trek is not Orci, the "Khan did 9-11" truther guy.

...unless they're all truthers. :ohdear:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

apparently its the xena guy? so its going to basically just be xena

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

At least the writer they brought on from jj-trek is not Orci, the "Khan did 9-11" truther guy.

...unless they're all truthers. :ohdear:

Khan didn't do 9-11? :confused:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

apparently its the xena guy? so its going to basically just be xena

Space sword fights and space lesbians, I can dig it

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Naxuz posted:

Yes, this would actually be a significant improvement.

What is Jeri Ryan up to these days?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Naxuz posted:

I can live with this

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Bible posted:

Yes, this would actually be a significant improvement.

What is Jeri Ryan up to these days?

She keeps showing up on things. She was very good on Leverage, and just last week was on Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here you go thread, have all the star treks at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S8rmcRVOA

• Locked thread