Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I plugged my DS4 into the computer and It works perfectly with zsnes with no setup whatsoever. I'm not reading any of the MP stuff in the thread so I can still be surprised but I can't wait to get there.

Right now I'm stuck in the quicksand zone. I found a place I can progress but I have to be a ball and I can't bomb jump in quicksand so I'm gonna try that mockball thing. I guess I missed an upgrade?

Favorite moment so far was running into a statue at a dead end and figuring out all on my own that it looked just like the statue that holds upgrades, then the payoff when I morph balled on it and it walked me down to the next area 😁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nothing requires mockball, it's a glitch that you can use to sequence break. I wouldn't try to use it for one area you can't get past

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Nothing requires mockball, it's a glitch that you can use to sequence break. I wouldn't try to use it for one area you can't get past

OP if youre where i think you are, def dont try to glitch past it. you could get stuck for good. try coming back there later, there is a mid-late game upgrade that lets you move normally underwater

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think I entirely missed the spring ball until like my third playthrough.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I've never actually played a metroid game but I'll probably play super metroid with my epic new gamepad.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

OP if youre where i think you are, def dont try to glitch past it. you could get stuck for good. try coming back there later, there is a mid-late game upgrade that lets you move normally underwater
I have the gravity suit, I think I missed the springball(?) I'm passed all the water I'm in the quicksand

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Benny D posted:

I have the gravity suit, I think I missed the springball(?) I'm passed all the water I'm in the quicksand

The way to progress for you is one of the hardest things to figure out your first time imo. Have fun figuring out what to do!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played through Super Metroid pretty recently again and I think I got stuck on that bit too.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I've never been stuck on super metroid. I guess you could say it's just extremely easy for me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

he still refers to it as "el juego con las chochas que vuelan" (the game with the flying pussies, in reference to metroids)

lmfao win dad

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

maridia is chilling and has cool music but its a loving bitch to play

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also the boss in my av is horrible unless you know the secret trick to beating it

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get stuck for a while at the general area in question almost every time I play before I remember (or stumble upon) where to go. so once the OP has progressed I want to hear the solution so that I can burn it into my memory

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

also the boss in my av is horrible unless you know the secret trick to beating it

he destroyed me the first time so I figured out the trick and just assumed that was the intended/only way to fight him.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it starts off as barely doable at all and you have the tiniest window to get missiles into his belly, then in the latter part of the flight he flies by in like 3 frames and i dont know how tf youre expected to beat that without save states

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a very easy way to never get hit by Draygon, but I won't say anything until the OP has faced him.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I'm almost 100% certain that I tried the correct way to get into Maridia on my first play through but then turned off the power because it doesn't work until after you move.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bobnumerotres posted:

it starts off as barely doable at all and you have the tiniest window to get missiles into his belly, then in the latter part of the flight he flies by in like 3 frames and i dont know how tf youre expected to beat that without save states

It took me a whole bunch of tries. I'm guessing the "secret trick" is what's in your avatar?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's the secret trick if you're incredibly good and is actually harder than fighting him normally. There's another way.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Aston posted:

It took me a whole bunch of tries. I'm guessing the "secret trick" is what's in your avatar?

that doesnt even kill him i think, just a TASer showing off.

the secret is letting him grab you and then grappling an electric field, it fries him in seconds

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it kills him and gives you Blue Suit which is an incredible glitch that's great to toggle on with cheats and leave on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

playing a super metroid randomizer where the items were mixed up, i didnt find the grapple beam and it was the first time in many years i had to fight draygon without that trick. what a loving lovely fight tbh

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

that doesnt even kill him i think, just a TASer showing off.

the secret is letting him grab you and then grappling an electric field, it fries him in seconds

He dies in your AV from full green

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bobnumerotres posted:

playing a super metroid randomizer where the items were mixed up, i didnt find the grapple beam and it was the first time in many years i had to fight draygon without that trick. what a loving lovely fight tbh

oh, well i eventually beat him without the trick so I guess I'm just an exceptionally powerful gamer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's really not that bad.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the op playing the game for the first time in a normal way is more important than speedrun hacks and tricks form people whove played it 5000 times

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

the op playing the game for the first time in a normal way is more important than speedrun hacks and tricks form people whove played it 5000 times

true

In Training posted:

He's really not that bad.

yeah yeah hes doable. just not what id call fun

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Today is my last long work day so I'll beat this either tomorrow or wednsday, assuming I can figure out how to pass my current roadblock.

Playing with a DS4 is pretty awesome. Grapple swinging is much easier but somehow platforming actually feels harder (I'm using the DPAD).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Good luck.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Dragygon wasn't very hard. It took me two play sessions to figure out why I couldn't progress and I'm embarrassed to admit that I never even tried power sprinting through the sandpit part. I have the x ray scope and everything and it didn't occur to me until a couple hours ago. I just got this sick plasma beam & space jump so I'm gonna go back and check my map for blue areas.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The part when you get the plasma beam is so cool, with those tough pirates and egg thingies on your way that are just there so you can obliterate them with plasma on you way back.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyyO0GVZgE

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

elf help book posted:

i have the fc30 and its really good, i played all of shovel knight with it and a bunch of nes games

So I bought the nes30 pro and it's like, completely impossible to use with my PC?? And all the tech support and instructions are in terrible English :( but the controller itself is super nice

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Samus, use your plasma beam.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the spring ball is a crutch for those that lack the courage and mental fortitude to bomb jump

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

the spring ball is a crutch for those that lack the courage and mental fortitude to bomb jump

The infinite bomb jump rhythm is forever programmed into my right thumb

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't know how to ibj at all, but I don't need it for speedrunning. I'm good at prime bomb jumping though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the Wii Prime Trilogy retroactively added the springball to Prime 1 and 2 and this is perhaps the greatest crime Nintendo has committed in recent memory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Prime spring ball is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't know how to ibj at all, but I don't need it for speedrunning. I'm good at prime bomb jumping though.

Like the prime bomb jump tricks? Those are really hard to me, like skipping Chozo Ruins and tricking your way up the spider ball track tower.

• Locked thread