Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Don't you guys get tired of being angry about other people having fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was gonna say the comic is late today. But then I remembered daylight savings time :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tom has never been late once as far as I can recall.

Coyote looks fun to draw.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

COYOTE TIME

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He has had technical problems a handful of times.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Don't you guys get tired of being angry about other people having fun?

It's what propels me through life

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair, IIRC hes ahead of schedule on his drawing and has a backlog of comics to post, so hes never having to rush to meet his deadline. The comics just go up automaticcally by a bot.

Hence why he never has to put up apologies or guest strips when he goes to conventions.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Don't you guys get tired of making the same jokes over and over?

Having a running joke is always handy as long as its not too sinister.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ElMaligno posted:

Having a running joke is always handy as long as its not too sinister.

eh, it's all right.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Enourmo posted:

eh, it's all right.

Sometimes it's all that's left to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Conot posted:

To be fair, IIRC hes ahead of schedule on his drawing and has a backlog of comics to post, so hes never having to rush to meet his deadline. The comics just go up automaticcally by a bot.

Hence why he never has to put up apologies or guest strips when he goes to conventions.

That doesn't make it any less impressive.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lurdiak posted:

That doesn't make it any less impressive.

"He's on time every time" kind of misses the point when there's no time pressure on being on time by virtue of having a backlog. Being impressed by tea-san's ability to maintain that backlog, sure, but the timing of the updates has little to do with it except in-as-much as backlog exhaustion is concerned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Being able to create such a backlog is the impressive part. Most webcomics don't even have a one-comic margin of error, Tom's managed to create and maintain a 2 month buffer through sheer diligence.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Are we sure Tom's not just Coyote in disguise, writing stories about himself? :tinfoil:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hremsfeld posted:

Are we sure Tom's not just Coyote in disguise, writing stories about himself? :tinfoil:

I could answer that, but I'd lose a hand.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Don't you guys get tired of making the same jokes over and over?

Technically they are different each time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

YF-23 posted:

"He's on time every time" kind of misses the point when there's no time pressure on being on time by virtue of having a backlog. Being impressed by tea-san's ability to maintain that backlog, sure, but the timing of the updates has little to do with it except in-as-much as backlog exhaustion is concerned.

It's impressive because no other webcomic author has been able to Kirk a backlog going add consistently as him. Most people make one and then blow it after going to a single convention.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Begemot posted:

It's impressive because no other webcomic author has been able to Kirk a backlog going add consistently as him. Most people make one and then blow it after going to a single convention.

Schlock Mercenary has been doing a strip a day for years, like more than a decade now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VanSandman posted:

Schlock Mercenary has been doing a strip a day for years, like more than a decade now.

Yeah, the only time he has been late was in 2008 when the place he hosted his site at literally caught fire and burned down.

There is something quite respectable about the creators who recognize this is a business and treat it as such. Very few do, and Howard Taylor is probably foremost of them. He runs the whole show without missing a beat while having enough income to serve as a replacement for a full time job + benefits.

In comic news this may be the best page ever.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Man these loss edits are getting elaborate

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Tatsuya Ishida has also been absurdly consistent on Sinfest for years as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fried Chicken posted:

There is something quite respectable about the creators who recognize this is a business and treat it as such. Very few do, and Howard Taylor is probably foremost of them. He runs the whole show without missing a beat while having enough income to serve as a replacement for a full time job + benefits.

It's almost as if those two are sort of related? most webcomic authors can't treat it as a full time job, because they don't have enough income from it, and as such mostly write their pages during breaks at work or once they get off their actual full time job.

I mean I bet if most comics made enough money to be a replacement for an actual job, they'd have more consistent schedules.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Coyote fun time!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

KittyEmpress posted:

It's almost as if those two are sort of related? most webcomic authors can't treat it as a full time job, because they don't have enough income from it, and as such mostly write their pages during breaks at work or once they get off their actual full time job.

I mean I bet if most comics made enough money to be a replacement for an actual job, they'd have more consistent schedules.

This is the answer. Back when Tom had an outside job he couldn't have made such a backlog, but now that the comic IS his job, thanks to Patreon, he's able to keep a consistent schedule. Say what you like about Patreon, but it keeps Unsounded and Gunnerkrigg coming with consistent quality and the artists don't starve, and it is therefore a moral good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AFAIK he's always had a backlog, at least as far back as when I started reading (The Coward Heart). Maybe he's got a bigger buffer now, but it's been around far longer than he's been full time.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
While I agree with the above comments that full-time comic artists have an easier time maintaining regular updates - this is obvious - I don't think it's fair to Tom to say that that's the ONLY reason. I don't recall the comic ever being late back before Tom went full-time, and I can (but won't) point to many, many more successful webcomics which are the author's full-time gig that don't update anywhere close to regularly. That isn't to say I could do better than those artists (because I doubt I could), but I think we should give Tom credit for being an unusually dedicated, industrious creator.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He definitely is, the comic has never missed an update by more than an hour or two, caused by technical issues.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I think that moving to working on the comic fulltime had nowhere near as much effect on size of the backlog as it did on the quality of the pages.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Andarel posted:

Most people have regular bowel movements to be fair

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I love that Patreon gives me a way to support comic creators in a direct way, and has enabled a number of comics I love to become full time jobs for their creators, update more often, etc, but credit where credit's due: Tom was doing his 3-days-a-week thing long before Patreon and before he left his job to do GC full-time. I assume the regular income from Patreon makes it easier for him to continue doing this, and not having a "day job" clearly gives him much more time to put into GC and related projects.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tom also made GC his full-time job before Patreon was created.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hremsfeld posted:

We're all coyote

<-----

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Andarel posted:

That's easy when you keep making the same comic over and over again.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Now that is a chapter page.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GodFish posted:

Now that is a chapter page.

I think it's gonna be a fake out and not all cloak and dagger poo poo. Tom has been building that up too much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Demiurge4 posted:

I think it's gonna be a fake out and not all cloak and dagger poo poo. Tom has been building that up too much.

The chapter is going to be one page long: Annie will walk in and say "I want Reynardine back." and then Tony will say "Fine."

THE END

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Similarly even if it were a cloak and dagger chapter we've already established how trivial a task it is for the gang to get into Tony's house :v:. It'd be over in one page as they just blink in, pick up Rey, and blink out.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This chapter is going to be about Annie dealing with teen acne.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The chapter is going to be about Annie spending her class break out in the courtyard with her dad and Rey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tom reversed the page again, it's actually a belated Halloween zombie episode.