Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

always be closing posted:

Collinite 845 on some fresh paint.

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Have a truck with very fine wiper scratches on the windshield. I can't feel them with a fingernail but they are producing a very distracting glare when night driving. Is there any sealant or wax I can try to fill this in and polish by hand? I don't have a power polisher.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jeweller's rouge may work?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't deal with this hard water. I don't want to wax every time I wash. Do I use a quick detailer? Garden hose filter? Elaborate distilled water setup?

Styles Bitchley posted:

Have a truck with very fine wiper scratches on the windshield. I can't feel them with a fingernail but they are producing a very distracting glare when night driving. Is there any sealant or wax I can try to fill this in and polish by hand? I don't have a power polisher.

Definitely a scratch and not just residue? I've heard using cleaners like Bon Ami will strip the windshield down to the pure glass without scratching. Haven't tried it myself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FogHelmut posted:

I can't deal with this hard water. I don't want to wax every time I wash. Do I use a quick detailer? Garden hose filter? Elaborate distilled water setup?

You can get one of those hose-end purifiers... http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Fresh-Garden-Filter-purpose/dp/B00AXP8B9O

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Do ground water setups not use a softener to the outside Hydrants?

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
I'm a beginner at this but I can't seem to bring myself to trust anyone with my baby so... I want to try my hand at a full exterior detail on my own.

A little background, I'm in California and do not live in a single family home so that combination rids my ability to do a full spray foam down wash so I'm thinking of going into the ONR direction. I want to come up with a sane plan of attack so that the actual day of detailing goes smoothly and hopefully quickly. So the list goes:

1. Head down to the self-serve car wash, Iron X the wheels and pressure wash them out. I've always had a problem with the wheels being extra dirty no matter how diligent I am with washing.
2. Come home and first thing is spray the car with ONR from a spray bottle
3. Put 10~15 small MF towels into a bucket of ONR solution and using only clean sides to essentially wet wipe the car. Similar to the Gary Dean method.
4. At this point the car should be still wet so I am thinking of using ONR as a clay luber and clay the car
5. Using a spray wax/sealant (Currently may be Chemical Guys Hybrid V7) as a drying aid and dry the car
6. Going through the Chemical Guys V line 4 step polishing set and compound/polish the whole car
7. After all that is said and done seal the car with Chemical Guys Jet-Seal

Still seems like a pretty heavy day ahead of me but seems doable. The step I'm mostly unsure of is using a drying aid before polishing and may be product choices. Very much a beginning and have not bought much beyond the spray bottle and ONR (Been doing only wash & wax to keep it simple) so everything can and probably will change.

Appreciate any input you may have!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

FogHelmut posted:

Do you dry your car after washes? The water at my house is quite hard, but as long as I dry the car after washing, I don't get any water spots.

Maybe try drying the car, then dumping a gallon or two of filtered water all over it and drying a second time?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know why I bother washing my car past August/September. Morning dew like a motherfucker.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Randuin posted:

4. At this point the car should be still wet so I am thinking of using ONR as a clay luber and clay the car

I usually just use the hose for clay lube, but a spray bottle of water would probably work if used liberally. Lot cheaper as long as it doesn't get you hanged in California.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Larrymer posted:

I usually just use the hose for clay lube, but a spray bottle of water would probably work if used liberally. Lot cheaper as long as it doesn't get you hanged in California.

In a town home so I don't have access to a hose from my underground (although private) garage. I can spray but everyone says that's not actually lubricated enough?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Randuin posted:

In a town home so I don't have access to a hose from my underground (although private) garage. I can spray but everyone says that's not actually lubricated enough?

A few drops of soap and some warm water in a cup/spray bottle is the best way to wet the paint before claying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

A few drops of soap and some warm water in a cup/spray bottle is the best way to wet the paint before claying.

*A few drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

*A few drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo

If you are claying a car, dawn will work just fine as well. Not like you are trying to save the wax. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

If you are claying a car, dawn will work just fine as well. Not like you are trying to save the wax. :colbert:

I've just found that Baby Shampoo makes clay glide easier than soap... that could be pure projection, too, though. :shrug:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have three scrapes on the roof of my subie from where the lot tard scraped the paper tape from windshield replacement off with a razor blade :ughh: well they've started rusting pretty badly. I had a plan to mask off the areas and hit them with a wire wheel and rust converting primer, then spray with the matching paint and then clear it. All rattlecan of course. Think it's gonna turn out like poo poo? I mean anything is better than it looking like a rustbucket, right?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I've just found that Baby Shampoo makes clay glide easier than soap... that could be pure projection, too, though. :shrug:

Fair enough. I wasn't attacking you; just being a sarcastic jerk is all.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

I have three scrapes on the roof of my subie from where the lot tard scraped the paper tape from windshield replacement off with a razor blade :ughh: well they've started rusting pretty badly. I had a plan to mask off the areas and hit them with a wire wheel and rust converting primer, then spray with the matching paint and then clear it. All rattlecan of course. Think it's gonna turn out like poo poo? I mean anything is better than it looking like a rustbucket, right?

Totally depends on how well you prep.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

BloodBag posted:

How bad is the rust and what color? You can probably mask them off and get away with sandpaper. Start with like 400 maybe and step down if you have to. I think this will help you keep the area smaller than using a wire wheel.

Be sure to sand your primer smooth, then wetsand your base coat before you clear and you should have no trouble getting a good looking result. Gonna take work obviously.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

Do you dry your car after washes? The water at my house is quite hard, but as long as I dry the car after washing, I don't get any water spots.

Maybe try drying the car, then dumping a gallon or two of filtered water all over it and drying a second time?

That sounds like a lot of towels. Maybe I could get one of those waterblades first, I don't know.

BloodBag posted:

My cousin did his bumper like that, and while it's not metal, it came out pretty unnoticeable from 5 feet away. You really have to do a lot of wetsanding though.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

That sounds like a lot of towels. Maybe I could get one of those waterblades first, I don't know.

I live in a really hard water area, its maybe two good mf hybrid drying towels to get my car done. Use a blower to get the cracks and weird spots, then quick detialer and a regular microfiber to do door sills/trunk sills/all the out of way spots. takes maybe 20 minutes to dry the car and i dont get spots anymore.

If you are that against drying just go waterless wash after you get a really good sealant on it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How bad is the rust and what color? You can probably mask them off and get away with sandpaper. Start with like 400 maybe and step down if you have to. I think this will help you keep the area smaller than using a wire wheel.

Be sure to sand your primer smooth, then wetsand your base coat before you clear and you should have no trouble getting a good looking result. Gonna take work obviously.

The rust was just a bit of surface contamination but now it's gone full tilt. I need to get this poo poo under control like yesterday. The color of the car is topaz gold metallic. I'm likely going to have two off-color squares just because golds are so hard to match.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

The rust was just a bit of surface contamination but now it's gone full tilt. I need to get this poo poo under control like yesterday. The color of the car is topaz gold metallic. I'm likely going to have two off-color squares just because golds are so hard to match.

Bring a paint chip to a good paint shop and they will mix you up a batch of matching color. Or at least quite a bit closer to what you have now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The van my band bought had been used as a detox van in Iowa, so I'm gonna try and tackle the interior this evening. Does anyone here have anything to say one way or another on Simple Green concentrate? I have a gallon or so of the stuff that I used to clean bicycle chains, just curious as to whether anyone here has tried it on car interiors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

The van my band bought had been used as a detox van in Iowa, so I'm gonna try and tackle the interior this evening. Does anyone here have anything to say one way or another on Simple Green concentrate? I have a gallon or so of the stuff that I used to clean bicycle chains, just curious as to whether anyone here has tried it on car interiors.

I use Simple Green for just about everything. It's a great cleaner, dilutes very well (I used it 6:1 for most things) yet very mild for most things (bare aluminum among the exclusions)... what are you needing to clean?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

Steam cleaner + Spotbot with Folex is what I use for 99% of my interior cleaning.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I use Simple Green for just about everything. It's a great cleaner, dilutes very well (I used it 6:1 for most things) yet very mild for most things (bare aluminum among the exclusions)... what are you needing to clean?
90% of the interior, probably won't be using the Simple Green on the carpet. Can I use it on carpet? It's your basic mid-90s Ford interior; lots of grey plastic. The glue they used to hold the carpet on to the interior engine housing fell off so that's a big gooey mess. I'm planning on throwing some adhesive remover at it and putting like chalkboard paint on it so we can draw dicks on something during long hauls.

ratbert90 posted:

Steam cleaner + Spotbot with Folex is what I use for 99% of my interior cleaning.
Steam cleaner sounds fun and all, I'd probably rent a Rug Doctor with the attachment if it came to that.

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

Waxed up the black car over the weekend with CG black since it uses advanced polymer bonding nano-technology that simply leaves the paint being described with one word, amazing. :lol: at the marketing lingo on these products.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agent 86 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 3, 2015

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Pretty much this, also use the 2 part clear coat with the activator on the bottom of the can, otherwise it'll go yellow after a while.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I want to do a swirl removal as per the OP with the Meg's ultimate. Once I've applied the polish, I take it I need a wax to finish? What should I get for a daily driver where durability is more important than show car finish?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Jaguars! posted:

I want to do a swirl removal as per the OP with the Meg's ultimate. Once I've applied the polish, I take it I need a wax to finish? What should I get for a daily driver where durability is more important than show car finish?

Any brand name sealant. Tech wax 2.0 is good if you want something available everywhere. Keep it dry 24 hours after application to cure, otherwise it's the same as wax.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you want a durable, traditional wax (rather than a sealant) then get collinite 845. Otherwise, what the previous poster said.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 5, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The pic at the top of the page of my hood is collinite 845 liquid wax, which I've read is a great winter wax. Goes on thin and allegedly lasts all winter, though this is the first time I have used it(and will store the truck winter;)).

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

revmoo posted:

Any brand name sealant. Tech wax 2.0 is good if you want something available everywhere. Keep it dry 24 hours after application to cure, otherwise it's the same as wax.

So my question is that does UC contain a tiny bit of filler wax? I generally thought that sealants would go ape poo poo and refuse to bond with clears if even a hint of wax was on it. As for my sealant recommendation Klasse makes a fantastic sealant.

edit: 2 big rear end boxes came for me at work today all from autogeek, today is a good day

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 5, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Used Simple Green til that ran out (had a lot less than I thought), and had to use this stuff:

It. Is. Amazing. Also very inexpensive (like $1.99 on sale). This and a microfiber cloth and the van is much more comfortable. Cut through all that caked-on junk that was probably vomit or piss (van was a municipal detox van in Iowa). The carpet is beyond all help so it'd be fun to re-carpet the thing, but that might be a waste of money.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great tip! We used zep penetrating oil in the garage when I was a kid, never knew they made a cleaner.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
They make so many different kinds of chemicals that they have their own aisle in some of the hardware stores around here. Hope they have an adhesive remover thing; the carpet glue on the cabin engine shroud (or whatever the gently caress you call that) sure doesn't wanna leave.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:eng101: The proper term is "doghouse".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:monocle: cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

Used Simple Green til that ran out (had a lot less than I thought), and had to use this stuff:

It. Is. Amazing. Also very inexpensive (like $1.99 on sale). This and a microfiber cloth and the van is much more comfortable. Cut through all that caked-on junk that was probably vomit or piss (van was a municipal detox van in Iowa). The carpet is beyond all help so it'd be fun to re-carpet the thing, but that might be a waste of money.

I have a bottle of the concentrated purple Zep poo poo, and one of their nice chemical bottles to mix it up in. I think I do a 20:1 mix for most stuff, and it works fantastically. Way better than simple green.