Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Last night I was playing the map where you have to bomb the doom wheels with pubs and I got killed by a rat ogre that spawned at the bottom of the hill just before the last tome at the end. I switched to spectating the dwarf just in time to see the ogre slam him into the hill at just the right angle to make him fly backwards up the entire hill at slightly faster than walking pace. It was about ten seconds of him doing the goofy falling animation as he slowly floated up the hill before landing in a tree at the top. I didn't realize that dwarves could fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Skandranon posted:

The Dwarf is looking for some old dwarf hold, and the elf can see the future and she's been preparing snarky insults for years now and isn't going to miss out on saying them.

I hope we get to go to the dwarf hold in a very soon to come expansion :allears:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Al Borland posted:

I hope we get to go to the dwarf hold in a very soon to come expansion :allears:

They have specifically mentioned it as one of the planned DLC expansions.

Though why he takes the elf with him is beyond me. Must be slim pickings after Ubersriek is burnt to the ground.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
He's probably too drunk and too focused on having fun killing rats to care.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Metrohunter posted:

He's probably too drunk and too focused on having fun killing rats to care.

Elf is one helll of a buzzkill.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Skandranon posted:

They have specifically mentioned it as one of the planned DLC expansions.

Makes sense too, given Skaven involvement was implied when he found the map.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Is it just my imagination or do the idle conversations seem to vary based on difficulty? On normal difficulty I heard Kruber talking about wanting to go check in on his family; on Nightmare, I was hearing conversations about avenging them.

Or maybe it's level-dependent. Or completely random and I'm trying to spot a pattern that isn't there, I dunno. Ever since I transitioned to Nightmare, the conversations seem a bit nastier in tone.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is it a glitch that when someone has a grimoire I hear the wet smack book-eyeballs blinking louder than any other sound, forever, whether the grimoire is out or not?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I love playing as the wizard, because wizards are great and fireballs are great. And if a flaming sword is an option, why would you use anything else?

I don't like playing with the elf, because she always jumps and sidesteps and runs around just to feel cool while fighting things, and that makes it especially hard to hit Armored Rats in the head with fireballs while they chase her flailing rear end. Soldiers and dorfs do a better job of holding their lines in a stable, predictable place where I can lob fireballs better. And even when she's staying further back than me and sniping at stuff with her bow, she's only firing into the biggest crowd, and not bothering to keep those two or three back-door clan rats off me while I charge my goddamn flamestrike.

Is there any way to bias your loot rolls towards stuff you want? I am rear end deep in chance-to-kill knives and blue handguns and bullshit like that, I want better spell sticks, and I have yet to get one better than green.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

As far as I know, loot is randomly generated on the table. Even the level-up stuff doesn't seem to be weighted towards your current class?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

StringOfLetters posted:

I love playing as the wizard, because wizards are great and fireballs are great. And if a flaming sword is an option, why would you use anything else?

As long as you use that bloody sword sometimes.

Way too many wizard players seem to think the Staff is the only thing they should be using.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As long as you use that bloody sword sometimes.

Way too many wizard players seem to think the Staff is the only thing they should be using.

I mostly use the staff when playing wizard, but I keep a good eye on heat and managing it. Sword is for when I'm about to explode and need to cool down (earthing rune!), or have been forced into melee. Or on Nightmare+ and there isn't a good angle to not shoot teammates.

Edit: I just got some Drakefire pistols, and am loving going back and forth between 2h hammer and pistols. Much more dynamic there. Shotgun blast is great at getting some breathing room in swarms.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 2, 2015

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Metrohunter posted:

As far as I know, loot is randomly generated on the table. Even the level-up stuff doesn't seem to be weighted towards your current class?

The loot table and the exact item you're getting gets generated the moment you get the victory screen (that's when the achievement for getting your first orange will pop up), the rolling and junk is just eye candy.

The table is weighted somewhat in favor of your current class (just look at the item icons), but the loot system overall is such a crapshoot that it doesn't matter.

I play WH almost exclusively and I still don't have a blue melee weapon for him. I'm level 34. I have a blue weapon of every kind except greatsword and blunderbuss for Kruber. I played him exactly twice ever.

Kill me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You should play other characters more, they're all fun.

And think of it like reverse psychology, if you don't play Saltzpyre, maybe you'll get stuff for him. :v:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Skandranon posted:

Edit: I just got some Drakefire pistols, and am loving going back and forth between 2h hammer and pistols. Much more dynamic there. Shotgun blast is great at getting some breathing room in swarms.

The shotgun blast from those pistols is amazing at clearing large, dense clusters of rats. If only the actual blunderbuss was as good.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Is there any place to go to see things like weapon descriptions and mechanics? I'm enjoying the game, but there's seemingly no information on anything in-game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cheezit posted:

Is there any place to go to see things like weapon descriptions and mechanics? I'm enjoying the game, but there's seemingly no information on anything in-game.

What do you want to know about weapons that you can't see in game?

All weapon stats and effects are in game, and most of it is pretty self explanatory. If you want to see the move set you just swing it around smash Franz' sausages.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you want to know about weapons that you can't see in game?

All weapon stats and effects are in game, and most of it is pretty self explanatory. If you want to see the move set you just swing it around smash Franz' sausages.

I dunno, I guess I just wanted to see what's out there. I haven't seen much loot drop yet and I don't know what folks can get. Mostly just shits and giggles.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cheezit posted:

I dunno, I guess I just wanted to see what's out there. I haven't seen much loot drop yet and I don't know what folks can get. Mostly just shits and giggles.

Oh, well it's basic but you can go here. http://www.vermintide.com/heroes/

Click on a hero and down in the "Equipment" section it shows all the types of weapons they can equip and the jist of what they do. No hard stats but it should give you an idea.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh, well it's basic but you can go here. http://www.vermintide.com/heroes/

Click on a hero and down in the "Equipment" section it shows all the types of weapons they can equip and the jist of what they do. No hard stats but it should give you an idea.

Better'n nothing! Thanks much, appreciate it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Is it a glitch that when someone has a grimoire I hear the wet smack book-eyeballs blinking louder than any other sound, forever, whether the grimoire is out or not?
Yes. That's kind of hilarious though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Yes. That's kind of hilarious though.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a bug that made it sound like I was walking through rat entrails permanently.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My favorite bug is when the rogre insta-spawns at level start and tosses the whole team into the water or beats you to a pulp in a tiny shack before you can move.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I have yet to get that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Happened to me for the first time last night. Rogre instantly spawned on waterfront and started running towards us.

Someone in chat: "no"

Then he beat the poo poo out of us inside the tiny starting shack. We got control partway through the process but I mean we're inside this like 3x3 space and he's blocking the only door...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Drythe posted:

I have yet to get that

It seems to happen on Wheat and Chaff a lot.

How appropriate.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Can we all just agree that Wheat and Chaff and Black Powder are the worst poo poo in the world? Like, worse than genocide, AIDS, and Hitler? Because yeah, they're like anti-fun. They are where fun goes to die a slow, painful death. I can't think of any levels in a recent game that are nearly as frustrating, regardless of difficulty level. Hell, even on Easy they're just loving annoying and stupid and I never, ever want to play them.

Meanwhile, the rest of the game is pretty fun. I still haven't actually successfully completed Wheat and Chaff, though, because every game I join is 95% pubbies getting wrecked by a rat ogre, and 5% pubbies getting lost and wrecked by a horde. Also, that map alone has more Stormvermin than the rest of the game combined and no one seems to know how to handle them AT ALL. So it's just constant, endless wipes.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Can we all just agree that Wheat and Chaff and Black Powder are the worst poo poo in the world? Like, worse than genocide, AIDS, and Hitler? Because yeah, they're like anti-fun. They are where fun goes to die a slow, painful death. I can't think of any levels in a recent game that are nearly as frustrating, regardless of difficulty level. Hell, even on Easy they're just loving annoying and stupid and I never, ever want to play them.

Meanwhile, the rest of the game is pretty fun. I still haven't actually successfully completed Wheat and Chaff, though, because every game I join is 95% pubbies getting wrecked by a rat ogre, and 5% pubbies getting lost and wrecked by a horde. Also, that map alone has more Stormvermin than the rest of the game combined and no one seems to know how to handle them AT ALL. So it's just constant, endless wipes.

Sorry, can't agree with you there. Get gud scrub. And don't play with pubbies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Black Powder isn't so bad as long as the group has their heads in the game.

Wheat and Chaff can be real ugly, but if people are on top of killing the Storm Vermin rapidly and are capable of taking on a Rat Ogre without ignoring the rest of the rats, and maybe a bit lucky, its doable after a couple tries.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Since getting the shotgun/targeting laser staff I have begun to enjoy the Bright Wizard, previously my least favorite hero. This shotgun effect is what the blunderbuss should've been.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Nightmare Wheat & Chaff is actually kind of funny in a masochist way.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I really like Wheat & Chaff. It's like Horde Mode, Difficulty +1. Here's the (whole) map, here are all your objectives at once, have fun. If you're on a team of people who basically have their poo poo together, it's challenging and intense. No easy choke points, obvious drama-scenes that you can set up for, or scripted bad stuff that you can wait out.

My least favorite part of this game is that 'Horn of Magnus' bit where everybody crowds onto the magic wooden ramp and you watch rats hop over a fence for two minutes until the magic objective timer finishes. Wheaty Chaff is like the opposite of that. Everything is on fire and running towards you and it's a constant ongoing challenge to stay ahead of it. I wish more of the game had you getting relentlessly hounded, 'Vermin tide' is a very evocative title and it only really lives up to the implicit promise on those hectic open areas.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I just got some Drakefire pistols, and am loving going back and forth between 2h hammer and pistols. Much more dynamic there. Shotgun blast is great at getting some breathing room in swarms.

What rarity? I have only seen orange so far and am wondering if you can even get them at lower difficulties...

Grogsy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 2, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just tried to play with pubbies as my friends have all decided to drop this at the same time.

Jesus christ, no. Its so much worse now all the powder run pubbies are in normal games.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What and chaff isn't that bad. I wouldn't run it all the time, but have actually enjoyed running it to try to get the nightmare banner. We've been extremely close and fallen just short 2 or 3 times. I've actually enjoyed it more than just breezing through the easier maps.

If "fun" is winning all the time and getting good gear, run two grim three tome enemy below and horn runs. To characterize a very difficult but doable map as "worse than AIDS" is weird. Just don't play it?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Grogsy posted:

What rarity? I have only seen orange so far and am wandering if you can even get them at lower difficulties...

Blue ones. Traits aren't great, Haste & Targeteer, but even then they are great. Would love a pair with Regrowth or Bloodlust, and Stability (if available)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I love Wheat and Chaff. It's a nice looking map that keeps you on your toes and forces you to pull off some crazy poo poo on a regular basis. It feels great when you've got two teammates down and go into super clutch mode, headshotting the neverending tide of stormvermin left and right, and maybe end up saving the day. I don't think I've ever had a perfectly clean and smooth run of W&C, which is appealing for a single map gimmick. Certainly not a rewarding level from a loot perspective, but that's another issue entirely.

I'm not quite as big a fan of Black Powder. It's the easier of the two, but I find the barrel mechanics to be kind of annoying, and visually it's some ugly Blighttown-esque garbage dump. The only positive thing I have to say about BP is that it has some decent verticality.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

personally I can't wait for W&C to have its stormvermin spawn rate fixed so I can enjoy it without wishing I had a 50% reload speed handgun

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Guys, I did it. Hard Mode Wheat & Chaff. With pubbies! It was nuts, took two tries and the only way we could handle it all was to trap the Rogre in the wagon. Which is sad that it takes -that- to make things just tolerable enough to really enjoy the map.

The Stormvermin are tolerable if the Rogre isn't in the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
We've done OK at downing the rat ogre on nightmare, but end up so beat up by it that we get brought down after by the horde of specials.

The horde of stormvermin are hard to deal with, but I think I've had just as many runs end by globadiers dumping grenade after grenade on our team from somewhere that they can't easily be shot

• Locked thread