Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't you remember when yoda teaches luke to make bandages from plant fibers on dagobah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

What I want to know is why there focusing so hard on mele combat in a space game. I know light sabers are cool and all but the game plays more like a tereria 2 with planet hoping than how I invisioned "starbound" would pay. I thought mele weapons were a early game thing that was supposed to be replaced with lasers and rockets and jet packs, oh my! It just feels too midevil.

Part of the issue is balance, they want it to be enjoyable for people who would like to try both method sof combat, which is fair enough, except for the fact the balancing on ranged weaponry is absolutely abysmal, the fact they drain your energy in seconds and then you have to wait for it to recharge to full is lunacy. Not to mention all of your techs for mobility drain the same energy pool so you cut off your method of escape if you drain your pool. I would prefer they just went with a secondary charge bar for the guns that is seperate from your energy, but I imagine this would also be a nightmare to balance.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in terraria you've got the rocket boots, cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle, super swift shoes, lucky horseshoe, red balloon, etc. they don't take any mana. there's no charge cost balance. and it's fun

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

There is honestly nothing worth balancing right now. The game is nowhere near complete enough for that to be an actual concern. Adding fun poo poo that doesn't suck rear end should be where effort is going. Hopefully it is, maybe the Chucklefish of old learned that games are meant to be fun and enjoyable? poo poo, how long until Dark Souls 3 comes out and sets this game's development back another couple years?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The dev update tells me one thing, that it just might be possible this game could be fixed, and not only that, that the 1.0 might appear in our lifetime.

I just hope the 1.0 won't turn into Space base DF9 1.0, which was a straight cut n' run, gently caress you double fine

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Adding a reload stat to guns rather than tying it to energy might work. It could even have the same time it does now if it only applys on a gun to gun basis. Like if you use a gun until it needs to reload you can switch to another gun and keep fighting but if you want to use that gun again you need to reload it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Adding a reload stat to guns rather than tying it to energy might work. It could even have the same time it does now if it only applys on a gun to gun basis. Like if you use a gun until it needs to reload you can switch to another gun and keep fighting but if you want to use that gun again you need to reload it.

It's really dumb that they didn't just do this to begin with.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

It's really dumb that they didn't just do this to begin with.

From a certain point of view it makes sense, tie stuff to the same resource to encourage people to entertain resource management. Except it doesn't work, if you want to kill a monster you have to spend your energy, but that ruins your defense and leaves you vulnerable to the fast, agile monsters capable of out damaging you and soaking farm more punishment than you can.

Don't even talk to me about some of the staffs, one of them can only fire perfectly horizontally, anything else and you are hosed, one makes a star that fires explosive rockets, except they will damage you too, its absurd.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Sounds like so much fun....

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

Redigit's gone on record saying that he'd like the final major update for Terraria to include a modding API, so it could happen.

On the other hand, Terraria is so incredibly poorly coded (I think every item in the game is implemented via a massive loving if/then statement if I remember right), that I would be incredibly surprised if a modding API was ever made for it. Redigit would have to go and basically do what Mojang has been doing for the past 3-4 years and rewrite huge sections of the game to even work with an API.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Enzer posted:

On the other hand, Terraria is so incredibly poorly coded (I think every item in the game is implemented via a massive loving if/then statement if I remember right), that I would be incredibly surprised if a modding API was ever made for it. Redigit would have to go and basically do what Mojang has been doing for the past 3-4 years and rewrite huge sections of the game to even work with an API.

I actually just went back to try out terraria and jesus christ I thought starbound was clunky.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Terraria is actually pretty solid. :shrug:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Met posted:

Terraria is actually pretty solid. :shrug:

My problem is with aspects of the UI, the mechanics of the game are allright (though noticeably combat is very simple)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Kea posted:

My problem is with aspects of the UI, the mechanics of the game are allright (though noticeably combat is very simple)

lol its not. get out of early game then see if it's still simple. Actually it is simple, but the variety is what makes it good.

The reload time mechanic work really really well in EDF, it could work well here.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

nerdz posted:

lol its not. get out of early game then see if it's still simple. Actually it is simple, but the variety is what makes it good.

So it isn't simple but it is? Nah seriously though that wasn't necessarily a big criticism, i remember some of the later weapons requiring a lot more timing to use effectively (except mini shark, gently caress yeah mini shark) But the bosses were pretty good and entertaining, as were the dungeons.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kea posted:

Yeah, they should implement some sort of Dark Souls type system to really spice it up.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Met posted:

Yeah, they should implement some sort of Dark Souls type system to really spice it up.

Hey I get it, you really like Terraria, but the basic combat is pretty simplistic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and you're trying to feel better about your Starbound purchase.

It's okay. We've all been there.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Watch out man! He's fixi'n to cut you. Just say tereria is good and back away slowly...

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Watch out man! He's fixi'n to cut you. Just say tereria is good and back away slowly...

Yeah I have no idea what his problem is, but seriously Terraria IS a good game just has a few things I think could be better but that's not really Starbound related.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

ScorpioMajesty posted:

It'd be pretty interesting if that happened, the gun system I designed originally had a reload time and clip size stat that factored into the level, but it was decided to go with the energy thing when it came time to implement it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

It'd be pretty interesting if that happened, the gun system I designed originally had a reload time and clip size stat that factored into the level, but it was decided to go with the energy thing when it came time to implement it.

I would really like to see this happen, melee characters damage is independent of their energy, they can attack at full capacity and still have full usage of their mobility techs whereas a ranged character cannot use both at the same time to full effect, admittedly a ranged character can attack at range but since basically every enemy is at least as fast as you and often have their own ranged attach that advantage is not as significant as it might otherwise be.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well.. with terraria pushing for a more open mod making game architecture and the possibility of steam workshop support in the near to nor far future... terraria may be the better game overall.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Well.. with terraria pushing for a more open mod making game architecture and the possibility of steam workshop support in the near to nor far future... terraria may be the better game overall.

Depends when it happens and to what extent, even then there are some things (honestly mostly visual) that i prefer in Starbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If any of you nerds are actually playing Starbound and not just posting that you like it, upload screenshots of interesting locations or cool stuff. I want to update the OP with newer screens and stuff, but it seems like no actually plays the loving game lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Babe Magnet posted:

If any of you nerds are actually playing Starbound and not just posting that you like it, upload screenshots of interesting locations or cool stuff. I want to update the OP with newer screens and stuff, but it seems like no actually plays the loving game lol

I too enjoy awesome screenshots of good builds. I love underwater bases the most :allears:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I just recently played a ton of it but I destroy everything beautiful and anything I build is an atrocity.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I mostly just need screens to occupy the OP so just keep my request in mind if you come across some cool ruins or whatever. Posting builds is always fun too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Well I'd like to play Starbound a bit because it did have some things going on that I liked but it runs like complete rear end now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I played it about a month ago and it was boring and awful. But the new biomes and backgrounds are really good. Maybe I'll load it up when I get home and take some screens.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I too enjoy awesome screenshots of good builds. I love underwater bases the most :allears:

just lol if you don't make your bases underlava

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well I'd like to play Starbound a bit because it did have some things going on that I liked but it runs like complete rear end now.

I was just about to say "What? it runs better than ever for me! " then remembered I upgraded my pc like 3 weeks ago, woops. On that note they need to work on light interaction in dust storms, causes huge slowdown.

edit:

grimcreaper posted:

I played it about a month ago and it was boring and awful. But the new biomes and backgrounds are really good. Maybe I'll load it up when I get home and take some screens.

Honestly I just burnt through to full tech and while its kind of fun getting there it doesn't take long and once you do theres little to actually DO.

Kea fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is your chance, thread posters, to get your screenshots posted in the legendary Starbound Thread OP, don't miss this once in a week-time opportunity, and also, im gay

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Reload speed, per-bullet damage and magazine capacity should be three points on the same stat spread, and every gun of X level gets the same Y points to randomly distribute, and rate of fire should be ([dmg/(cap+reload)]/2) seconds between shots, so high damage low-capacity weapons fire more slowly and low-damage high-capacity weapons fire more quickly. Then if you have a level 1 weapon with 100 points randomly distributed between those three stats in any spread it should produce a usable weapon. This also assumes reload speed and magazine capacity are separate from your energy bar, which should be for movement and non-combat feats. Then you can add your goofy bullet templates to this formula and balance their stat permutation and get things like fire bullets which spread the damage value over X seconds or block-piercing bullets which might lower damage to add penetration or your pig-launching comedy gun uses the stats to determine how large the pig sprite you shoot is and how fast it moves in the air on an arc or something. I don't know.

e: A shotgun template would divide the total per-bullet damage among a random number of pellets between 4 and 20 or something so you can get your Doom Shotguns or some hilarious full-auto pepperbox.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 2, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's Borderlands syndrome: there's so many cool ways they could have randomized the guns with all these weird, scrambled effects and variables that interact with each other, but instead they all just ended up being the same gun with very slightly different damage/fire rate.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

It's Borderlands syndrome: there's so many cool ways they could have randomized the guns with all these weird, scrambled effects and variables that interact with each other, but instead they all just ended up being the same gun with very slightly different damage/fire rate.

There used to eb a mod for starbound that had bouncing bullets, spiked bullets and all sorts of things like that, sticky grenades for grenade launchers too. Is that kind of thing in the base game?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

dog kisser also came up with whole new classes of firearms, each with upgrade paths to add additional features, for his Peglaci race mod. It was crazy and super good.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Zombie Samurai posted:

dog kisser also came up with whole new classes of firearms, each with upgrade paths to add additional features, for his Peglaci race mod. It was crazy and super good.

it's been updated (more or less) to the current version, though there's some crash glitches I'm dragging my feet on fixing because bad game

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

dog kisser posted:

it's been updated (more or less) to the current version, though there's some crash glitches I'm dragging my feet on fixing because bad game

This is pretty much why I havent seriously looked into doing any modding, with them changing things every month or so theres no guarantee whatever im doing wont be broken halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's the main reason I haven't done more work on The Mantizi. I've been through two mod rewrites with them and I'm tired of having to redo large portions of their code.

• Locked thread