Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So what is responsible for making everything feel like it's sliding around and mouse responsiveness terrible? Is that an in house Bethesda product?

Look at the list of games that use it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo#Games_using_Gamebryo_and_LightSpeed

they have almost nothing in common with each other, it's a low level engine that doesn't have a lot to do with gameplay stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From 30 pages ago but I think the screens look good even on PS4 and I am excited to play this game :)

I might have to adjust mouse settings in the .ini to get it less floaty and more responsive like in previous Bethesda games. :shrug:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I hope cooking is useful in F4

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was pretty weird how popular skyrim was.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So what is responsible for making everything feel like it's sliding around and mouse responsiveness terrible? Is that an in house Bethesda product?

Dude. Shut up. It's Just Fun. Please don't point out the flaws in my video game

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

Tenzarin posted:

Vikings, dragons and swords.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Look at the list of games that use it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo#Games_using_Gamebryo_and_LightSpeed

they have almost nothing in common with each other, it's a low level engine that doesn't have a lot to do with gameplay stuff.

maybe they should find a new low level engine that isn't garbage and doesn't make your dude feel like greased up deaf guy

khy
Aug 15, 2005

frajaq posted:

I hope cooking is useful in F4

Survival vs Medicine in New Vegas was interesting. (At least with hardcore it was)

Medicine was good because stimpacks were very light and healed rapidly but not over a long duration. You could carry a million though and never be overencumbered.

Food was heavy and healed more health overall but it wasn't very rapid. The thing is you could stack like 5 different food items and heal more rapidly than stimpacks and over a long-rear end duration.

Towards the end of the game I'd eat like six meals then run into deathclaw quarry and punch everything to death with a superheated saturnite fist or use my Claw of Rawr to out-alpha the alpha deathclaws. One hit would reduce my health to half but with all the regeneration I had I'd be up to 90% before the deathclaw could get a second hit in. And if I was in trouble I'd pop a stimpack on top of the rest of my regen and nothing could kill me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Maybe...It Just Works.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's probably the interaction between Gamebryo and Havok. I don't think the two work very well together; comparing the list of games to one another I didn't see any games using that combination of engine/physics aside from TES stuff.

Actually, looking at the Havok page, they're using Havok for Animation, Behavior, and Physics for Skyrim. I would have thought Gamebryo/Creation would be handling animation but apparently not.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 2, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It's probably incompetence, actually. Poor workman and all that.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Tenzarin posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But I'm pretty sure it was popular because it was a fun game that ironed out a poo poo ton of mistakes from oblivion? It isn't going to win any awards for plot but it was fun as hell for a good long while.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

VATS never changes

Bethesda's physics never changes

khy
Aug 15, 2005

5% chance to miss is a 5% chance to miss. Gotta roll a 1 sometimes.

Is 95% still maximum hit chance in VATS? I can't read the numbers in that blurry mess.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what do you mean 95% is not the same at 100% :monocle:

bethesda :argh::argh::argh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just remember this important fact: 100% is GOTY, 95% is not GOTY.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Looked like it rocket jumped back up lol

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
"Drr creation is just renamed gamebryo!" is stupid and wrong. Just ask all of the modders who had to relearn all of their poo poo to do stuff in Skyrim. It is significantly different. Not as different as something like Source, but different beyond minor tweaks.
"Bethesda writes lovely animations!" is smart and correct. It's not the engine, it's the people using it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I hope fallout 4 will be good, even though it will be Bethesda Bad™, because I sold my old 1440p monitor on craigslist to this kid who was super excited about building his first gaming pc just for fallout 4 and if it's really bad this will be his daikatana

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

KakerMix posted:

The reason Bethesda games feel like Bethesda games is because of Bethesda Todd Howard. hth

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I tried playing New Vegas again but that engine doesn't play nice with my sound card anymore for some reason. Now I'm looking for Skyrim mods that add guns.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Some actual news (character/location spoilers)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/2/9658986/fallout-4-soundtrack-lynda-carter

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The weird-looking physics glitches are just making me want to play the game more

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Republicans posted:

I tried playing New Vegas again but that engine doesn't play nice with my sound card anymore for some reason. Now I'm looking for Skyrim mods that add guns.

I hear a really good Skyrim mod that adds guns and slightly improves graphics comes out on the 10th.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Isn't she the wife of Zenimax's CEO?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I read a thing saying the map is going to be 3x the size of Skyrim. I kinda hope that's wrong, because Skyrim already had like 30 miles of boring nothing road between every single item of interest.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I dig that tune

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Isn't she the wife of Zenimax's CEO?

Yeah. It's mentioned in the comments. Doesn't mean the song there isn't good.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That's awesome, you know you're in BethTown when you hear Lynda 'Seen Any Elves' Carter.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. It's mentioned in the comments. Doesn't mean the song there isn't good.

Yeah, it's decent. She's at least a better singer than she is a voice actor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

projecthalaxy posted:

I read a thing saying the map is going to be 3x the size of Skyrim. I kinda hope that's wrong, because Skyrim already had like 30 miles of boring nothing road between every single item of interest.

I thought that the ballpark estimation was twice the size of Skyrim. Either way, I hope that the map is more geographically interesting than what we got in Fallout 3. Skyrim's multiple, distinct biomes and miniature mountains were really well done.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I thought that the ballpark estimation was twice the size of Skyrim. Either way, I hope that the map is more geographically interesting than what we got in Fallout 3. Skyrim's multiple, distinct biomes and miniature mountains were really well done.

Guys guys, its going to be 8 times the size of vice city.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tenzarin posted:

Guys guys, its going to be 8 times the size of vice city.

Does this count just the land mass or also the water around Vice City? I take video game maps very seriously so this is important to me.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The full perk list is very promising? I miss skills and all but it seems like there's no universal SPECIAL dump stat now, just depends what kind of character you want to create. Like there are incredibly useful perks tied to PER and LUCK now.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really excited, I hope that we get to see the ocean, just a vast, radioactive sea.

I hope there's a sea monster.

I hope Fallout takes place on the sea.

I want Mirelurk Deep Ones and an underwater city with a radioactive Dagoth.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to play this game next week. I'll enjoy it too, even if I have to force myself with clothespins.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Well I'd rather they used budget VA than waste money on celebrity voice acting that nobody even notices in 90% of situations. There is no demographic out there that went "Wow, Chloe Moretz and Susan Sarandon? I'd better pre-order this 'Dishonoured' right away!"

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I'm pretty sure they've said you start dead center in the game world and it is exactly the linear walking distance of the original Super Mario Bros., in each direction.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cool, they didn't fall behind Dragon Age Inquisition on new songs or singers in game. It's not rockabilly, but the precedent is set and they can improve on that either with DLC or the next game and they don't need to fill the soundtrack with a bunch of ancient songs that cost like several million to likely but the play rights to for Fallout 5.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm really excited, I hope that we get to see the ocean, just a vast, radioactive sea.

I hope there's a sea monster.

I hope Fallout takes place on the sea.

I want Mirelurk Deep Ones and an underwater city with a radioactive Dagoth.

They put Lovecraft stuff in 3 so if they made a game set in New England and don't have some Innsmouth references they really dropped the ball.

• Locked thread