Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I mean you could ask me why I own a Super Nintendo and games for it when I can instead just download them on my wii u. The answer is because physical reality is better than the fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Magnus Gallant posted:

I've not bought any books but I know which ones I would buy if I were going to follow through.

I was more asking you guys what fringe/obscure things you enjoy/think would be worth it to check out in investing.

There's this obscure thing called a "low cost index fund" that's really up and coming that you should check out.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's this obscure thing called a "low cost index fund" that's really up and coming that you should check out.

Being condescending is expected from you but it's still not a good look.

My uncle works on Wall Street, as do a couple friends from high school.

If I wanted to invest in stocks id just have to ask them for guidance.

I'm asking you guys about your tastes in media that you think others might not share/aren't popular enough to get a reprint.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My father gave me a small loan of one million dollars

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

My father gave me a small loan of one million dollars

Cool, my parents are worth 10 mil

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Captain Foo posted:

i think by understanding this you are dq'd from karaoke

:( don't hate just because I have a strong understanding of which songs work for which vocal ranges.

Actually though I suck at karaoke because I mostly listen to male singers and sing harmony, which completely screws me when I try to pick a song -- it's usually way out of my range. So I sing a couple really badly and then I get blackout drunk and pick something off Hysteria by Def Leppard and then I go home and throw up.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kill them for the insurance

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

I mean you could ask me why I own a Super Nintendo and games for it when I can instead just download them on my wii u. The answer is because physical reality is better than the fantasy.

Was that irony intentional, I never kno with u

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
my dad's portfolio could beat up your dad's portfolio!!!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Haha they're not really but I do have a rich as gently caress uncle.

He works on Wall Street and his wife is an eye doctor with her own practice. They're fun to hang out with.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know I used to think it was the owning of something was an important thing back in my late teens/early 20s. It took 15+ years to figure out that it's the experience that matters not a physical item.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Was that irony intentional, I never kno with u

:)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah possessions are dumb, gently caress those things.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I like to own some physical things, depending on what it is.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

You know I used to think it was the owning of something was an important thing back in my late teens/early 20s. It took 15+ years to figure out that it's the experience that matters not a physical item.

Except when you want to mark up/reread them multiple times.

The things I buy are high quality and I use them until they are unusable anymore. I don't buy cheap

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I own people online where it's still legal to do so

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I own people online where it's still legal to do so

You've certainly owned me over the years.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm asking you guys about your tastes in media that you think others might not share/aren't popular enough to get a reprint.

Mike Doughty's stuff used to go out of print a lot, if you run across cheap copies of the full Smofe + Smang album or his poetry book Slanky those are probably worth grabbing.

really though best advice is not so much what to buy (basically just go scour used bookstores and look for hidden treasure) but to invest in making certain that your investment does not get destroyed (make sure where you're keeping your books is humidity-controlled/pest free etc)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/IAcUIMy.gifv

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try to knit DS9 from DS9 for another secret santa I am in. I can't find anyone who has even attempted it before so I am very excited to try something completely new. It will be difficult I think, but I'll give it a try!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Owning things is so bourgeois.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They announced a new star trek series.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

They announced a new star trek series.

When did they do that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

In Star Trek's post-scarcity economy, there is no reason to own anything.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CapitalistPig posted:

gonna have to rename yourself communist pig now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

When did they do that

today. Only on CBS' streaming service, from the co-writer and producer of the new star trek movies.

:smithcloud:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CapitalistPig posted:

As a ghost I disagree

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it the only way I could lose my books is if I sell them. No one steals books. They do steal computers and tablets.

I own a typewriter for my fiction writing, no one would ever steal that old rear end poo poo.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
people have posted on this page who have not yet signed up for secret santa.

You/y'all should do so!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is again for your edification:

EccoRaven posted:

The Ninth Annual Mafia Secret Santa!!

FAQ:

Q: What is "Secret Santa?" :raise:
A: A chain of giving! You sign up, then you will be assigned someone to buy a gift for. For whom to buy a gift. Likewise someone else will send YOU a gift! But who? It's a secret - the surprise is half the fun. :)

Q: This sounds like fun! What do I need to do?
A: PM me with your mailing address. If you do not trust me then okay, but this would be the ninth year I've done this and nobody has been stalked/made uncomfortable yet. Likewise nobody will know your address but me and your Santa, and I delete the Santa file after the end of the year, returning it from whence it came.

Q: Do I need to play mafia to participate?
A: Um well, if you don't play mafia, why are you reading this post? But yeah, you should at least tangentially be part of the community. This is to avoid leeches and would-be grinches, I suppose.

Q: How long do I have to get in on the fun?
A: I will keep signups open until 11:59PM EST November 15th; that is the Sunday before the week before American Thanksgiving. After that I will close signups, RNG the chain, and PM every Santa their Santee in time for shopping on the Blackest of Fridays. If you are someone, though, who is very concerned about time (Asiina), you can request being assigned someone very early in the process to give you an extra week to prepare something.

Q: My sibling/romantic partner(s)/best friend also plays SA mafia, and I think they're doing Secret Santa too, should I tell you?
A: Yes. It would be silly/redundant for you to be assigned someone you know in real life.

Q: How can I figure out what my Santee would like? Or, how do I let my Santa know what I want?
A: Internet stalking! Read their forum history, find their Steam account, dust off their old Livejournal, whatever helps you figure them out.
:ohdearsass: Hint: if you sign up for Secret Santa, try to include breadcrumbs in your forum posts for what you like and dislike - it'll really help out your Santa!

Q: When do I have to deliver my Santee their gift?
A: Christmas, of course! Duh. What a stupid question.

Q: What if I can't get it by then? :saddowns:
A: Then you suck noodles and are awful. :dogout:
Try your hardest to get it to them on time. If you can't it's not the end of the world...

Q: What if I never send something? :hehe:
A: Then you are a grinch and you do not deserve to be a part of this community. Get out for real.

Q: Do I have to ship internationally? Or, what if I am not an American but a filthy foreigner?
A: If you live outside the continental United States, you are more than welcome to participate; in the past one's country of origin has never been an issue in and of itself. Likewise if you are in the US but are willing to ship internationally, feel free to say so in your PM.

Q: What if, in mid-December, my address changes?
A: This is primarily a concern for the college student, the vagabond, and Stephen Harper. Just include both addresses in your Santa PM with the approximate date for when you will be moving. I'll send both addresses and the date of moving to your Santa, so they'll know to where they should ship it when they do so.

Q: How much should this gift cost? I'm not made of money, Ecco.
A: I expect shipping, even intra-nationally, would cost more than the gift itself. It usually does, at least.

Q: Does it have to be a real gift? I'm still not made of money, Ecco.
A: If you are up to it, you can and should get creative for your Santee. So long as they have a merry christmas. :unsmith:

Q: Can I send live bees?!
A: Please please ask your Santee before sending live bees.

I think that about covers it. Let's get into the Christmas spirit, for life is short, but sweet for certain. Send me a PM to sign up. For my sanity, please title the message as some variation of "Secret Santa." If you have a question about the process, title it some variation of "Secret Santa Question."

Thank you, and a Merry Christmas to all.

Except grinches. :sassargh:

(note that we already have twenty-one signups, which is more than all of 2012 but less than in 20s 13 and 14. but it's only been ONE DAY!!! So LET'S BREAK SOME RECORDS FOR CHRISTMAS.)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'd sign up if I wasn't moving this month, get ye giving, forsooth

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

people have posted on this page who have not yet signed up for secret santa.

You/y'all should do so!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is again for your edification:

(note that we already have twenty-one signups, which is more than all of 2012 but less than in 20s 13 and 14. but it's only been ONE DAY!!! So LET'S BREAK SOME RECORDS FOR CHRISTMAS.)

joined.

I like nerdy stuff.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Magnus Gallant posted:

The way I see it the only way I could lose my books is if I sell them. No one steals books. They do steal computers and tablets.

I own a typewriter for my fiction writing, no one would ever steal that old rear end poo poo.

Fact: I once had to talk a friend out of swiping a first edition copy of Gravity's Rainbow from the home of the vice President of my college.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I'd sign up if I wasn't moving this month, get ye giving, forsooth

if you have a new address to where you will be moved you can sign up with freedom and fidelity.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

if you have a new address to where you will be moved you can sign up with freedom and fidelity.

It's between a few places and its a big silly hassle so I'd rather not subject my secret santee to that in case it changes again~~

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
k well you have two weeks to change your mind

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Fact: I once had to talk a friend out of swiping a first edition copy of Gravity's Rainbow from the home of the vice President of my college.

Stealing it? That's good that you talked him out of stealing it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actively don't writing on typewriters and prefer modern technology and sometimes I feel like other writers will judge me if I am open with it #lamesecrets

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah but stocks aren't helpful to other humans.

There are many books that I want to own that I cannot because they're no longer for sale.

I can fill a market and help people out and also make a nice profit.

The stock market is for assholes who only care about money.

I agree with the others that it isn't a super great idea BUT I think you can at least buy 2 copies of books of this style, if you want to keep one, and then sell the other. Antique books are really cool. I have a copy of Candide from 1918 with a cool preamble on WWI.

I agree owning books is neat. I think you could do well owning certain graphic novels or anthologies, for example I haven't been able to find Gary Larson anthologies in stores anymore, only online, and they're a bit prohibitively expensive. Niche art books from museum exhibitions like you mentioned would do marginally well I think. Or cook books. A lot of cook books aren't reprinted, but the trick is to find a good one that people will always want. I personally adore the Silver Spoon books on Italian cooking.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The far side is a great example of what I'm talking about. The far side rules and its out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I'm going to try to knit DS9 from DS9 for another secret santa I am in. I can't find anyone who has even attempted it before so I am very excited to try something completely new. It will be difficult I think, but I'll give it a try!

I absolutely have to see the picture of this when you are done. So cool.