Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He just looks drained now. Every photo of him lately has a middle-distance stare and a fake smile like someone's jamming a gun into his back.

Does anyone think he's gonna stick with this if he starts polling in Scott Walker territory and gets demoted to the kiddie debate?

At this point, I think he's just looking for the most graceful (or most spiteful?) way to bow out without burning up the last ember of his family's reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Flip Yr Wig posted:

At this point, I think he's just looking for the most graceful (or most spiteful?) way to bow out without burning up the last ember of his family's reputation.
His family's reputation has been in the shitter for some time now. What's there to burn?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Washington Post has coverage of a recent meeting by representatives of the Republican candidates, discussing how they want the next debate to be run. Bear in mind this fairly unprecedented leak is almost certainly from one or several of the "lower card" campaigns.

quote:

According to the sources in the room, Diaz [Jeb Bush's rep] did not say much. He did not chime in when other campaigns shot down the idea of splitting the debates into two randomly-selected contests of seven candidates each, and he did not interrupt as others agreed that Fox Business, the next debate host, could do as it liked. He spoke up only to say that a planned February debate with NBC News, the one "suspended" by the Republican National Committee, needed to be salvaged. The debate partner was supposed to be Telemundo, and Republicans could not stiff the only Spanish-language network allowed into the cycle.

Corey Lewandowski, Donald Trump's crewcut campaign manager, shot him down.

"If you do that," he said, "Trump walks."

"Diaz dropped his head, like he was defeated," an attendee said.

quote:

Even Ben Ginsberg, the unaffiliated super-lawyer invited to moderate the meeting, began by criticizing the RNC. "In previous years, the debate were much better run," Ginsberg said, according to attendees.

Ginsberg started to explain that in prior cycles, candidates were given the criteria and format logistics of debates long in advance. An example of the chaos came with the upcoming Fox Business debate. Candidates, Ginsberg said, were given the criteria only after the botched CNBC debate was over.

"I knew the Fox Business format for two weeks," interjected Lewandowski. He went on to describe how he'd called the Fox News Channel's executive director, John Moody, and gotten him to explain the debate details while on vacation in Europe.

That surprised some other participants in the roundtable. Not only was Trump effectively dictating the terms of the debates -- after all, he'd lobbied for the CNBC debate to be shortened -- but he seemed to have a batphone while every other candidate was begging for information.

Also, have a transcript of the draft letter to news stations that came out of that meeting. Enjoy the middle school composition skills.

A choice quote from the list of demands:

quote:

 Will you commit that you will not:

o Ask the candidates to raise their hands to answer a question

o Ask yes/no questions without time to provide a substantive answer

o Have a “lightning round”

o Allow candidate-to-candidate questioning

o Allow props or pledges by the candidates

o Have reaction shots of members of the audience or moderators during debates

o Show an empty podium after a break (describe how far away the bathrooms are)

o Use behind shots of the candidates showing their notes

o Leave microphones on during breaks

o Allow members of the audience to wear political messages (shirts, buttons, signs, etc.). Who enforces?

How on earth are they only figuring this stuff out now?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@costareports: SCOOP: Trump to deal directly w/ networks, blowing up group GOP debate effort, with @daveweigel https://t.co/3bwnsMP1mG

Hahahaha what a goddamn shitshow.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Carson is here in town doing a booksigning today but I have no desire whatsoever to go.

He's doing one in Sarasota on the 4th, maybe I'll go if there's a liberal demonstration of some sort. How can anyone take him seriously if he takes 2 weeks off the campaign trail to hock a bullshit political book?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mojo Threepwood posted:

40% of all upcoming book signings at Costcos nationwide are Dr. Ben Carson: http://m.costco.com/author-signings.html

Costco has book signings?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Discendo Vox posted:

Washington Post has coverage of a recent meeting by representatives of the Republican candidates, discussing how they want the next debate to be run. Bear in mind this fairly unprecedented leak is almost certainly from one or several of the "lower card" campaigns.

Also, have a transcript of the draft letter to news stations that came out of that meeting. Enjoy the middle school composition skills.

A choice quote from the list of demands:

How on earth are they only figuring this stuff out now?

Your quote of the letter is wrong

In the actual letter they spell "lightning" as "lightening" twice

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
To be fair though Trump is not being a idiot. He's negotiating from a place of power. What he's doing is actually incredibly smart.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"The party decides"... Unless the party has completely gone to poo poo and cratered.

Really never expected to see something like this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no deciding anything Trump obviously has the ability to dictate to networks who only care about ratings. If you don't think his running hasn't had an effect on viewership then that is just crazy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

so he's negotiating on behalf of all the candidates? sort of like a union rep or something?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rhesus Pieces posted:

About time. Here's how you do this:

- Trump demands the cut-off be 8% leaving the field occupied with only Cruz, Rubio, Carson, and himself.

- The network says no.

- Trump says fine, I won't show.

- On the night of the debate, Trump airs an hour-long infomercial on a competing channel about himself.

- When the ratings blow the debate out of the water, he destroys everyone in one fell swoop.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

To be fair though Trump is not being a idiot. He's negotiating from a place of power. What he's doing is actually incredibly smart.

At the cost of pissing off the donor class and the political class (and the other campaigns.)

Even if he wins the primary without them, which I still find dubious, you can bet your rear end that alot of them won't be jazzed to help him out against Hillary, who will have the full power of the Democrat Party and subsidiary organs behindher.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
His only goal is to be the Primary candidate for the Republican party though and raise awareness of himself. Also apparently to gently caress Bush.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is Trump even the frontrunner anymore?

e: I mean he's still two at worst and the overall ratings draw, but I'm just wondering. I haven't been able to keep up with polls because school.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
In some States he is in others it's Carson. Trump could lose I think half his numbers and he'd still be ahead and in like 3rd.

I like Huffpost because it's a aggregate

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary

Pollster Trend

Donald Trump 31.0%
Ben Carson 23.0%
Marco Rubio 8.5%
Jeb Bush 7.5%
Ted Cruz 5.5%
Carly Fiorina 3.8%
John Kasich 3.0%
Mike Huckabee 2.7%
Rand Paul 2.7%
Chris Christie 2.1%
Bobby Jindal 1.1%
Lindsey Graham 1.0%

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 2, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, it's too bad Scott Walker couldn't get in on the candidates' collective petition for better working conditions.
This did not get enough love :vince:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

weekly font posted:

Is Trump even the frontrunner anymore?

e: I mean he's still two at worst and the overall ratings draw, but I'm just wondering. I haven't been able to keep up with polls because school.

Yeah, he's only behind in Iowa, and there hasn't been any polling there since the debates.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

At the cost of pissing off the donor class and the political class (and the other campaigns.)

Even if he wins the primary without them, which I still find dubious, you can bet your rear end that alot of them won't be jazzed to help him out against Hillary, who will have the full power of the Democrat Party and subsidiary organs behindher.

Nahh, they loving hate Hillary and will pretty much fully back literally Hitler if he were to win the nomination.

Trump has the GOP and it's donor class by the balls, and I'm actually surprised he's taken this long to start yanking on it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

so he's negotiating on behalf of all the candidates? sort of like a union rep or something?

More like a scab.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He just looks drained now. Every photo of him lately has a middle-distance stare and a fake smile like someone's jamming a gun into his back.

Does anyone think he's gonna stick with this if he starts polling in Scott Walker territory and gets demoted to the kiddie debate?

This. It's always a bit disturbing to see pictures of presidents before/after their terms. the stress of the job really shows, and fast.

Jeb!? seems to be skipping a step and withering visibly even before getting within sniper range of the White House. Did he drink from the wrong Holy grail before he started campaigning?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's no deciding anything Trump obviously has the ability to dictate to networks who only care about ratings. If you don't think his running hasn't had an effect on viewership then that is just crazy.

Yeah, the networks are seeing huge profits thanks to the work the candidates are doing, so the candidates are coming together to negotiate a more equitable working relationship.

Shame Scott Walker dropped out, he could have really benefitted from this.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They already hate him and are committed to opposing him though.

Really the plan seems to be hope that a few dozen free spending billionaires can stop a single tight fisted billionaire (dubious, given how the loose spending is a hindrance rather than an asset like they are playing it in this argument) or hope that once Bush drops out/Trump is no longer leading the polls he gets bored and goes home (UFL, Trump Shuttle, etc)

Both hinge more on assumptions rather than evidence or work, so who knows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump defecting completely torpedoes this absurd list of demands, by the way. He's the greatest troll of our time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nahh, they loving hate Hillary and will pretty much fully back literally Hitler if he were to win the nomination.

Trump has the GOP and it's donor class by the balls, and I'm actually surprised he's taken this long to start yanking on it.

I think you're confusing the rank and file voters with the people who run the RNC on a daily basis, and who, under a Trump presidency, would nto have the power they'd like. Instead, they could easily say "well, he can lose, because in 4 years we'll have a better chance of beating Hillary with someone we'll own."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, the networks are seeing huge profits thanks to the work the candidates are doing, so the candidates are coming together to negotiate a more equitable working relationship.

Their list of demands aren't a list of demands for a more "equitable" relationship. Their a list of demands from a bunch of pants pissers who want to hide how awful all of their views are at all costs and don't like the idea of being called out for them in front of a national television audience.

Please don't pretend that the RNC/Candidates have valid grievances.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jeb!'s new slogan isn't going well.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think you're confusing the rank and file voters with the people who run the RNC on a daily basis, and who, under a Trump presidency, would nto have the power they'd like. Instead, they could easily say "well, he can lose, because in 4 years we'll have a better chance of beating Hillary with someone we'll own."

Yeah, but the idea of their supremacy here, that "the party decides" is really getting blown up here.

I mean I've been one of the more vocal people saying Bush would be the nominee because of this and the models based on it, but the wheels are really coming off the wagon now and showing how broken the party really is.

And here I mean party as the organization, not collective group of interests the party typically represents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, the solution here is for the networks to say "we don't negotiate with terrorists" but they are all terrified submissive female dogs laying on their backs pissing themselves.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Their list of demands aren't a list of demands for a more "equitable" relationship. Their a list of demands from a bunch of pants pissers who want to hide how awful all of their views are at all costs and don't like the idea of being called out for them in front of a national television audience.

Please don't pretend that the RNC/Candidates have valid grievances.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that because I'm in a really weird mental state now (pre-election stress) that my Union joke wasn't as obvious as I assumed it was.

Same for the one prior to this one, and the hoodie joke before that, all of which went over like a lead balloon.

My bad folks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got the union joke mate.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Again, the solution here is for the networks to say "we don't negotiate with terrorists" but they are all terrified submissive female dogs laying on their backs pissing themselves.

If they said that they'd lose out on their command of debate viewership by old people and alcoholics.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radish posted:

Jeb! is what rear end in a top hat Boomers and Gen-Xers think Millennials are like with their supposed "everybody gets a trophy" and "I expect to get what I think I deserve right now" attitudes.

He seems like a guy that has coasted through life to great success but thought he did it through his own ability. Now he is finally in a situation where he can't just show up and get a reward and it really hasn't clicked for him yet.

jeb! is the epitome of A for effort not being a thing that exists in the real world. i absolutely believe jeb! has earnestly and honestly worked to get success in life, it's just that hard work doesn't guarantee success and he seems too hopelessly naive to know that

the last line of this article sums it up

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/fall-of-the-house-of-bush.html

quote:

Jeb got confused. He thought he was still in an era when people had to pay their dues.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Outside of Rubio who are they really looking at for 2020? The current crop of republican governor :airquote:superstars:airquote: are all getting their rear end kicked by Trump and the tea party is now being attacked (or at least not supported at all) by the establishment now.

Yeah they wouldn't have full control over poo poo with Trump in the white house as opposed to someone like Walker or Jeb!, but Trump is still worlds better than Clinton with so many upcoming vacancies on the bench and while they're still in full control of both the house and senate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Does Trump even have any donors? I thought he was doing this all out of his own pockets, which was why no one had any leverage to get rid of him.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I like the part where Trump and Carson appear out of nowhere around May and suddenly skyrocket to success :allears:

This is the best election season ever you guys

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Carson's campaign just came out and said Trump is representing the group, just under his masthead.

If you have drunk the kook aid that Trump really is a great businessman and negotiator, and that as the prime ratings draw he has the most leverage it makes sense.

If you are thinking as a politician it is idiotic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zen death robot posted:

I still wonder how much of the NBC boycott is because Trump got his shows kicked off their network.

I'd bet it's the telemundo connection with nbc that has most of his opposition

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Montasque posted:

NEW Iowa poll from PPP:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/11/cruz-rising-in-iowa-clinton-back-out-to-dominant-lead.html

Trump 22
Carson 21
Cruz 14
Rubio 10
Huckabee 6
Jindal 6
Jeb 5
Fiorina 5

jeb! below jindal

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I didn't see this mentioned and heard about it on NPR

Paul Ryan says Obama can't be trusted on immigration reform

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

A Winner is Jew posted:

Outside of Rubio who are they really looking at for 2020? The current crop of republican governor :airquote:superstars:airquote: are all getting their rear end kicked by Trump and the tea party is now being attacked (or at least not supported at all) by the establishment now.

Yeah they wouldn't have full control over poo poo with Trump in the white house as opposed to someone like Walker or Jeb!, but Trump is still worlds better than Clinton with so many upcoming vacancies on the bench and while they're still in full control of both the house and senate.
If it came to it, I think they have no choice but to support him, and I'm sure he knows that any threats to leave him swinging in the general is a total bluff.

But there's a big difference between that being plain to see for everyone involved, versus admitting it out loud, especially right now. So you make your threats, hope something sticks, and shore up your options for having some semblance of party control if he makes it into office...and back him enough to win if he gets to the general.

• Locked thread