Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

GEMorris posted:

I'm in a weird position where I could switch to ProjectFi, but I'm not sure I want to leave the comforting embrace of SERO. Is there a clear winner if I don't consume more than 3gb a month?

I'm in the same boat (have a GFi invite and a Nexus 5X), but use about 4.5 gigs on average so I'm considering Cricket. AT&T's footprint for $10 less than what I'm paying for SERO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

I'm in the same boat (have a GFi invite and a Nexus 5X), but use about 4.5 gigs on average so I'm considering Cricket. AT&T's footprint for $10 less than what I'm paying for SERO.

Yeah. I'm hearing good things about Cricket plans; AT&T has several towers around my home. I'm holding out a bit longer and then I'll make the switch.

Their 3G is faster than Sprint's LTE at times.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GEMorris posted:

I'm in a weird position where I could switch to ProjectFi, but I'm not sure I want to leave the comforting embrace of SERO. Is there a clear winner if I don't consume more than 3gb a month?
I am SERO and use 3GB/mo. SERO is $50 and Fi is $50 for me, so it's a tie. However, SERO is still a 2-year-contract plan, so I get a (heavily discounted) phone every 2 years on SERO. That works out to $15-$20/mo edge for SERO (as I have to buy my own phone for Fi).

I ordered the 6P and will probably use it on Sprint for a bit (my contract isn't up yet), but frankly I'm tired of terrible service, so maybe I'll give Fi a whirl. Better service would be worth the $15/mo for me.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Alright here is my convoluted situation. I am on a EPRP plan with five lines. We pay like 48 bucks a person.

I am getting a free corporate phone so I no longer need my line. I am under contract because my dad used my upgrade for his line when he ran over his phone with the lawnmower.

Ideally I would port my number to ATT while another family member takes my spot and ports their number in, with the plan staying EPRP and paying to cancellation fee. What do you guys think is possible? Can the plan at least stay EPRP and I can eat the cancel fee? Or any other secenarios I could pull off?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I need a nano sim for my Nexus 6p. Can I just walk into a store?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

thisdude23 posted:

Any thoughts on the A9? I'm gonna sell out and get a new phone. I like the Moto X Pure too. What else is the best band for my (discounted) dollar?

The A9 may look iPhoneish but the updates promise and overall build quality of HTC Devices are way above the Moto. And the Moto might get an update or two and then be forgotten.

Also the A9 has an unlocked bootloader out of the box so if custom roms are your thing, its a good thing.

And to top it off it is priced well in the US as a higher end midrange phone. The UK people are getting shafted on the price a bit sadly.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

photomikey posted:

I need a nano sim for my Nexus 6p. Can I just walk into a store?

Go online to Sprint chat and request one. Two local stores wouldn't give one to me.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

jfff posted:

Go online to Sprint chat and request one. Two local stores wouldn't give one to me.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can cut your existing sim card to fit the nano sim slot.

http://www.androidcentral.com/bold-cutting-your-own-nano-sim-card

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Nevermind. My HTC One M8 had a nano sim already. Heh.

The screen is black on the M8. Phone seems to operate just fine, charges, powers up, receives messages, e-mails, etc - the screen is just dead. Is there a way I can sufficiently wipe my information from it so I can sell it?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
You could always see if your device shows up here: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager (it should)

Then you can wipe it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you!

Forgive my ignorance. My nano sim is still in that M8. I can wipe it with the nano SIM in and nothing bad will happen, right? What does the SIM do? I have to give the IMEI over the phone and the SIM doesn't seem to store anything.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

photomikey posted:

Thank you!

Forgive my ignorance. My nano sim is still in that M8. I can wipe it with the nano SIM in and nothing bad will happen, right? What does the SIM do? I have to give the IMEI over the phone and the SIM doesn't seem to store anything.

Yea the Sim shouldn't hold any info if you haven't put any info to it manually. Also it is strange you have black screen issues on both your M8 and an EVO LTE. While the LTE wasn't the best phone, both it and the M8 are solid built so I have to wonder what you are doing with your phones that would cause that sort of internal screen damage (to what I would imagine is the cable going to the screen from the motherboard.)

It is possible they could be repaired reasonably easily though but being without a phone for any period of time seems like a big hamper.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The M8 was good to me. It started having screen glitching a few weeks ago and would take a couple of tries to get it to turn on. Sometimes it'd get stuck in black and a restart would fix it. One day it was just stuck black and won't come back on. Phone seems to work fine. This is a known issue (if you google for it) but the fixes are all "just turn it on and follow this series of menus), but the phone doesn't loving work. It's out of warranty and sluggish anyhow, I'm ready for the 6P and already had one on order when it started happening.

The LTE had been dropped and just needs a replacement screen, but it'd be cost prohibitive at this point, I don't think it's worth anything.

My 6P arrives today and I've been without a phone since Thursday. I own a small business and I'm dying.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

photomikey posted:

The M8 was good to me. It started having screen glitching a few weeks ago and would take a couple of tries to get it to turn on. Sometimes it'd get stuck in black and a restart would fix it. One day it was just stuck black and won't come back on. Phone seems to work fine. This is a known issue (if you google for it) but the fixes are all "just turn it on and follow this series of menus), but the phone doesn't loving work. It's out of warranty and sluggish anyhow, I'm ready for the 6P and already had one on order when it started happening.

The LTE had been dropped and just needs a replacement screen, but it'd be cost prohibitive at this point, I don't think it's worth anything.

My 6P arrives today and I've been without a phone since Thursday. I own a small business and I'm dying.

Well thats unfortunate for sure.

I'd suggest getting a backup on Swappa as well so you're not without if something happens to the 6P down the line.

Hell I have 2 LTE's by chance as backups and even my old Arrive and Touch Pro 2 if needed, however those might be much harder to go back to then the EVO on a CM12.1 rom.

Really wish Sprint would get the 950XL dangit. I want a Water Cooled phone. $10 says it may be the first/only device to run the 810 without throttling (or at least for a much more extended period of time).

Oh and also the LG V10 because it looks pretty sweet too. :argh:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EdEddnEddy posted:

The A9 may look iPhoneish but the updates promise and overall build quality of HTC Devices are way above the Moto. And the Moto might get an update or two and then be forgotten.

Also the A9 has an unlocked bootloader out of the box so if custom roms are your thing, its a good thing.

And to top it off it is priced well in the US as a higher end midrange phone. The UK people are getting shafted on the price a bit sadly.

I'm not sure I agree with any of this. Moto has been pretty much nexus-flavored since the X came out, and updates have been very quick. I don't think you can predict the long term update strategy for the X Pure.

HTC, on the other hand, has lost more than 51% of its share value since January and projects further losses. It's going to lay off a fuckload of people in 2016. I don't think that says anything good about update frequency.

I certainly wouldn't pay the $500 they ask for the A9. I can't speak to its build quality, but it is a decidedly midrange phone and you can get a hell of a lot more for your dollar these days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm not sure I agree with any of this. Moto has been pretty much nexus-flavored since the X came out, and updates have been very quick. I don't think you can predict the long term update strategy for the X Pure.

HTC, on the other hand, has lost more than 51% of its share value since January and projects further losses. It's going to lay off a fuckload of people in 2016. I don't think that says anything good about update frequency.

I certainly wouldn't pay the $500 they ask for the A9. I can't speak to its build quality, but it is a decidedly midrange phone and you can get a hell of a lot more for your dollar these days.

Direct from HTC you can get the A9 for $399 but its a limited time deal but a better deal still.

True at $500 though there are better devices available, and since that $400 deal is US only, you are screwed if you would like it in the UK.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I ended up getting an iPhone 6s. I reupped finally. Figured $300 was not too bad to just try something different.

Now to read about jail breaking.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
maybe not the best time to get into another contract.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/02/us-sprint-corp-cuts-idUSKCN0SQ2J920151102

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

I think Sprint is too big to fold up and close shop at the drop of a hat.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Well sure, but if you thought pricing, customer service and LTE rollout was spotty now, just hold onto your pants because things are definitely gonna get shittier.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am crossposting this from the Android thread (what happened to that thread, went down the tubes)..

I have a note 3 and still love it but I think the battery might finally be dying out?? I've been using it pretty hard the 2 years I've had the same battery, so is it possible the battery is dying? How many years do the batteries usually last?

I can go about 6 hours and then it is dead with light to moderate usage with the screen brightness maybe at half and no roaming or anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's a $10 replaceable battery, why are you even posting about it

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Thanks again to whoever it was that pointed out the world roaming package. Was going to go to Costa Rica but our plane got downgraded and I am in Cartagena Columbia now. Been wondering around the historic district all afternoon using the 3G to check maps, post pics on Facebook, check exchange rates etc. and have only used 80MB of the 1GB you get so I should be fine my whole trip.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

JHVH-1 posted:

Thanks again to whoever it was that pointed out the world roaming package. Was going to go to Costa Rica but our plane got downgraded and I am in Cartagena Columbia now. Been wondering around the historic district all afternoon using the 3G to check maps, post pics on Facebook, check exchange rates etc. and have only used 80MB of the 1GB you get so I should be fine my whole trip.

I was in Costa Rica around when they first did that roaming package thing. I got no reception anywhere I went. I had to use WiFi calling.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

fyallm posted:

I am crossposting this from the Android thread (what happened to that thread, went down the tubes)..

I have a note 3 and still love it but I think the battery might finally be dying out?? I've been using it pretty hard the 2 years I've had the same battery, so is it possible the battery is dying? How many years do the batteries usually last?

I can go about 6 hours and then it is dead with light to moderate usage with the screen brightness maybe at half and no roaming or anything.

Batteries last about two years in a cell phone. Just get a new battery if you're not in the market for a new phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

I think Sprint is too big to fold up and close shop at the drop of a hat.

11 years of not turning a profit. 11 years.

Yeah they'll be around in 2 years, but it's crazy how quick things can change.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Duckman2008 posted:

11 years of not turning a profit. 11 years.

Yeah they'll be around in 2 years, but it's crazy how quick things can change.

I'm dropping them for Google Fi. I've been with Sprint 15 years. Their cell coverage has been fine, but their data speed and coverage has been poo poo and I am tired of it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

effika posted:

Batteries last about two years in a cell phone. Just get a new battery if you're not in the market for a new phone.

Thanks, and I plan on going with an OEM and they look to be about $20 not $10. And to the guy asking, I don't know, I don't like wasting money?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm dropping them for Google Fi. I've been with Sprint 15 years. Their cell coverage has been fine, but their data speed and coverage has been poo poo and I am tired of it.

Google Fi uses Sprint's network :ssh:

(and T-Mobile's)

(What I'm saying is you may not see much of an improvement)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

nimper posted:

Google Fi uses Sprint's network :ssh:

(and T-Mobile's)

(What I'm saying is you may not see much of an improvement)

When you combine the two shittiest networks, what do you get?

(hint: it's still poo poo)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

corgski posted:

When you combine the two shittiest networks, what do you get?

(hint: it's still poo poo)

Yeah but now you'll find poo poo where there used to be no poo poo!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

At least it'll be cheaper poo poo.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

At least it'll be cheaper poo poo.

Yes it will be 30% cheaper. I'll be saving 400 dollars a year. That's mainly the point. I don't mind Sprint being poo poo. I just mind being charged drat near 100 a month for it.I'll be paying 64.87 with taxes from Google.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I switched to T-Mo in NYC and holy poo poo it's better. The LTE isn't quite as widespread but there's HSPA+ loving everywhere and it's actually a shitload faster than Sprint's LTE ever was.

oh yeah and I get 10 gigs a line with tethering that rolls over for a whole year and our 4 lines save a total of $1200 a year lol

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I switched to T-Mo in NYC and holy poo poo it's better. The LTE isn't quite as widespread but there's HSPA+ loving everywhere and it's actually a shitload faster than Sprint's LTE ever was.

oh yeah and I get 10 gigs a line with tethering that rolls over for a whole year and our 4 lines save a total of $1200 a year lol

Good to hear. I'm in NYC and looking at other options because even with the discount, Sprint really isn't cutting it anymore. And I'm always on wifi, so having unlimited data isn't that big of a deal.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What can be good though is Sprint will eventually turn things around (by cutting a ton of Fat that will not be their network hardware since that is the only thing they got) but if they happen to get reorged by their big investor, that either means they will screw all their old time subcribers, or it will make for a bunch of killer deals for new people to join as they need more subscribers which they did get this last quarter.

So it could go either way, but for now where I am at, I cannot complain about SERO pricing or my coverage as 90% of where I go now is LTE, and the rest is 3G that gets from 2-3Mbit consistently now. After 10+ years it is finally really good now and I have never gotten a letter from excess usage (40G 2 months ago, 28G last month).

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

What can be good though is Sprint will eventually turn things around (by cutting a ton of Fat that will not be their network hardware since that is the only thing they got) but if they happen to get reorged by their big investor, that either means they will screw all their old time subcribers, or it will make for a bunch of killer deals for new people to join as they need more subscribers which they did get this last quarter.

So it could go either way, but for now where I am at, I cannot complain about SERO pricing or my coverage as 90% of where I go now is LTE, and the rest is 3G that gets from 2-3Mbit consistently now. After 10+ years it is finally really good now and I have never gotten a letter from excess usage (40G 2 months ago, 28G last month).

I went through 60GB last month, I think 55GB the month before that; and before those I was probably mid 20s but that was before there was LTE in my house. Which still surprises me to this day since it's basically a huge faraday cage with metal roof, and the old aluminum siding; before I was lucky to even get 3G service at all or even receive phone calls.

If they expand to the next town over my happiness level will basically be maxed out; surprising that they haven't expanded beyond slow 3G there since there is a university in that town.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly. While Sprint has never been the best in the past 10 years or so, they have finally gotten better in places, and 2016 is sort of a kicker year for them since regardless of their losses, due to Spectrum purchase deals and whatnot, they have to have their network dialed in to a certain degree by a certain time next year. They do have some of the most advanced LTE hardware and tech in their new network but lets hope they can fire it up across the US and get more backhaul to get their speeds up. Since Sprint has to buy a lot of it from Verizon and AT&T since they own most all the Backhaul, that is probably one of the major sticking points for them to get these upgrades done these past few years.

That and any other backhaul provider like Wave in my area that just puts money into rebranding instead of actually expanding and fixing their stupid network at all.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on in this thread. Every year is supposed to be the year Sprint is going to turn things around and with every year comes a few small improvements if any while the other carriers leave Sprint in the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on in this thread. Every year is supposed to be the year Sprint is going to turn things around and with every year comes a few small improvements if any while the other carriers leave Sprint in the dust.

WiMAX is gonna skyrocket Sprint to the top of the pile. You'll see!