Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

nigga crab pollock posted:

well amberpos makes it flip its god damned poo poo so merry christmas folks

i guess it uses temporal dithering but i didnt know that until it flipped its poo poo so well gently caress me right

in it, voted 5

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

spankmeister posted:

take it apart and look for leaking caps

but yeah this is probably it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

merry christmas mr crab

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

same

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
wife and i just moved, my desktop pc is now in the bedroom and nearly as far away as possible from the wireless router, the local 2.4Ghz bands are a gigantic mess and the old USB2 802.11N dingus that I'm using just can't cut it

i need a cheap-ish USB2/3 adapter that does N at least, AC if possible, dual-band since switching to 5Ghz should help (my phone and tablet work fine from the bedroom on the 5G side of the network), and isn't total trash. partial trash is okay because i know that anything from a big name brand is going to be the same crap chipset that's in the cheaper stuff, just with a more expensive name on it

this cheap thing is the current winner because the move has completely wrecked our finances and it apparently works okay at extreme ranges. i haven't bought anything like this in ages and i have literally no idea where to go other than looking at amazon reviews that don't have "i was given one of these in exchange for a review" at the bottom

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
are you realllly sure you can't just buy a long ethernet cable instead? it's always going to be cheaper and more reliable, and easy to tuck into carpets or the like.

anyway the TP-LINK Archer brand ones do tend to be pretty good, but you might want to put it on a decently long USB extension cable for optimal positioning in the room if ethernet can't be done (there's also buying an antenna on a long antenna cord to place instead, but frankly those are going to cost too much for a decent one)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
thank you for stating the obvious, fishmech, so that nobody else feels the need to

you provide a valuable service

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

nigga crab pollock posted:

well amberpos makes it flip its god damned poo poo so merry christmas folks

i guess it uses temporal dithering but i didnt know that until it flipped its poo poo so well gently caress me right

in it, voted 5

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
how do i sort file paths received by a batch file? like if it receives [4.png, 2.png, 1.png, 3.png] how do i sort that into 1,2,3,4?

overall true problem:
i have a shell extension that lets me make custom options in the context menu
i am trying to make an imagemagick command to append images into a single image
i have done that mostly successfully, however explorer.exe passes file paths in some hosed up random order no matter which order i click on images
a windows batch file seems the easiest method of sorting the file paths
i have almost no knowledge of cli and cannot find anything useful on google

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Malloc Voidstar posted:

how do i sort file paths received by a batch file? like if it receives [4.png, 2.png, 1.png, 3.png] how do i sort that into 1,2,3,4?

overall true problem:
i have a shell extension that lets me make custom options in the context menu
i am trying to make an imagemagick command to append images into a single image
i have done that mostly successfully, however explorer.exe passes file paths in some hosed up random order no matter which order i click on images
a windows batch file seems the easiest method of sorting the file paths
i have almost no knowledge of cli and cannot find anything useful on google
do you need to use batch scripts and not powershell or python or something else

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

anyway the TP-LINK Archer brand ones do tend to be pretty good,

i'm gnnna buy one of these ty

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Heresiarch posted:

i need a cheap-ish USB2/3 adapter that does N at least, AC if possible, dual-band since switching to 5Ghz should help (my phone and tablet work fine from the bedroom on the 5G side of the network), and isn't total trash. partial trash is okay because i know that anything from a big name brand is going to be the same crap chipset that's in the cheaper stuff, just with a more expensive name on it

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12286 maybe?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

in my experience those can pull around 30mbit sustained which was fine for my xbox pulling stuff over dsl but if you're doing computer to computer transfers or have a faster ISP it might not be the best idea. I have problems with latency going nuts on the things if the bottleneck becomes the powerline leg instead of your wan uplink.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

in my experience those can pull around 30mbit sustained which was fine for my xbox pulling stuff over dsl but if you're doing computer to computer transfers or have a faster ISP it might not be the best idea. I have problems with latency going nuts on the things if the bottleneck becomes the powerline leg instead of your wan uplink.

that's still better than trying to pull 5ghz through multiple walls. there's also been several improved generations of powerline networking, and the newer ones work a hell of a lot better than the old ones.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

that's still better than trying to pull 5ghz through multiple walls.

I do that as well and honestly its about a wash performance-wise but at least the wifi option doesn't have 2000ms latency spikes when it hits the throughput limit

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Get two outdoor rated units with higher power, good for 3miles. http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B004EGI3CI
$50 each.

Or get a cheap usb one with a removable antenna like http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T2UH-Wireless-Supports/dp/B00UZRVY12/ and then either get a bigger or directional antenna if the normal one isn't good enough. Depending on what is in the walls you might get a better signal just moving the router and the usb stick up higher.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that's funny, I'm considering getting some powerline adapters because I don't want to run cat6 utp all the way to my laundry

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
did some testing. there's an AFCI breaker between the powerline adapters, so it's just butchering the overall throughput. only getting 30mbps down and 8mbps up lan-to-lan. 5ghz n-band 2x2mimo through ~4-6 layers of drywall gets 80/60 but also has frequent dropouts.

pick your poison

i'll have to see if 802.11AC really makes much of a difference without clients that support beamforming or more graceful handoff protocols.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i'm almost positive that getting a 5Ghz wifi thingie will do the job because my tablet is a dual-band 802.11n device, and i can set it on top of my pc and it gets a good enough signal on the 5g network to max out the broadband in a speed test

a generous goon is sending me a spare 5g n device so i can test it without spending anything, and if that doesn't work i'll try to live without until i can afford to try some kind of powerline ethernet option

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing my wifi repeater doesn't do, and i wish it did, is that it can retransmit 5 ghz and 2.5 (2.4?) butt my router is opny 2.5 (2.4?) and so it will only retransmit that. it wont open those packets and reapckage them as 6ghx

other than my my retransmittier thing owns. you guys said it would be shite

it owns.

propbably becaus rits much higher quality than my main router

if i wire that poo poo up it will be unstoppable

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dear yospos, i'm pretty sure one of my hard drive controllers has started to go bad. thankfully, I have a second identical hard drive. what's the best way to clone drive A onto drive B without buying anything? i'm running windows 7.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
put clonezilla on a bootable usb stick and boot from that

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

anthonypants posted:

do you need to use batch scripts and not powershell or python or something else
i've never used python before

so i used it on this and i don't think i like python
but thanks, it worked

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

anthonypants posted:

put clonezilla on a bootable usb stick and boot from that

to add to this, you can get something like http://www.hirensbootcd.org/ which has parted magic as a bootable option, which has a variety of cloning tools available including clonezilla.

i've had issues with it running on new new new hardware though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

dear yospos, i'm pretty sure one of my hard drive controllers has started to go bad. thankfully, I have a second identical hard drive. what's the best way to clone drive A onto drive B without buying anything? i'm running windows 7.

driveimage xml is free, easy, and is capable of copying a system drive live if need be: https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I got a dumb smart phone recently, it's a droid. I wanted to install firefox so of course google wants you to sign in to download from their app store, which I did and I got firefox so that's great. But when I did that it automatically synced all this poo poo including my gmail. So I had to go back and fix all the broken contacts it added, and I think I have it mostly fixed now. What I'd really like to do is remove my google account from the phone completely, and near as I can tell you can't actually do that without removing the whole loving account?

Failing that, I'd like to remove the cached g-mail that now shows up on my phone when you click into gmail, which I didn't ask for, but near as I can tell you can't do that either if you just have one account associated with the device. I did remove the ability to sync my mail going forward, and removed the device through the google account settings, but near as I can tell there's no way to remove my mailbox (like it was when it last synced) from showing up completely. What the gently caress. Phone software is rear end.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Broken Machine posted:

I got a dumb smart phone recently, it's a droid. I wanted to install firefox so of course google wants you to sign in to download from their app store, which I did and I got firefox so that's great. But when I did that it automatically synced all this poo poo including my gmail. So I had to go back and fix all the broken contacts it added, and I think I have it mostly fixed now. What I'd really like to do is remove my google account from the phone completely, and near as I can tell you can't actually do that without removing the whole loving account?

Failing that, I'd like to remove the cached g-mail that now shows up on my phone when you click into gmail, which I didn't ask for, but near as I can tell you can't do that either if you just have one account associated with the device. I did remove the ability to sync my mail going forward, and removed the device through the google account settings, but near as I can tell there's no way to remove my mailbox (like it was when it last synced) from showing up completely. What the gently caress. Phone software is rear end.

Because you use the account to get and update apps, you can't remove the account. If you're all butthurt over having your inbox on there, make a secondary Google account and use that for your phone instead.

You can also just uninstall the Gmail app if you don't want it to sync for some bizarre reason

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because you use the account to get and update apps, you can't remove the account. If you're all butthurt over having your inbox on there, make a secondary Google account and use that for your phone instead.

You can also just uninstall the Gmail app if you don't want it to sync for some bizarre reason

I don't need an account to install firefox on computers, why should I need one on a phone? Besides which it's not so much that it required me to sign in to download an app, but that after doing that it automatically synced a bunch of outdated contacts, signed itself into my mail, and who knows what else. Even if removing the account from the device removes the ability to download or update apps, so what? That's still a choice I should have as the user of the device. I think I've manually cleaned it up but now there's all this extra system data taking up space, which I also can't delete. It's obnoxious, the user experience is obnoxious, and it's far too difficult to do things that should be simple like signing out of your account or deleting locally stored content. The answer to "how do I sign out of gmail and delete local data on my phone" shouldn't be factory reset your device or completely delete your gmail

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Broken Machine posted:

I don't need an account to install firefox on computers, why should I need one on a phone? Besides which it's not so much that it required me to sign in to download an app, but that after doing that it automatically synced a bunch of outdated contacts, signed itself into my mail, and who knows what else. Even if removing the account from the device removes the ability to download or update apps, so what? That's still a choice I should have as the user of the device. I think I've manually cleaned it up but now there's all this extra system data taking up space, which I also can't delete. It's obnoxious, the user experience is obnoxious, and it's far too difficult to do things that should be simple like signing out of your account or deleting locally stored content. The answer to "how do I sign out of gmail and delete local data on my phone" shouldn't be factory reset your device or completely delete your gmail
you could sideload the apk or grab it from a third-party service but if you're going to download from the google play store then you are going to need to sign in to google.

here is a little factoid you don't seem to be aware of: the operating system on your phone is made by an advertising company

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Broken Machine posted:

I don't need an account to install firefox on computers, why should I need one on a phone?

Because how else is it going to take advantage of the store infrastructure to keep it updated silently and automatically? You moron.

Broken Machine posted:

The answer to "how do I sign out of gmail and delete local data on my phone" shouldn't be factory reset your device or completely delete your gmail

Look, you're the guy who wants to not have gmail work on his phone, why is "uninstall gmail from the phone" an unacceptable solution?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

anthonypants posted:

you could sideload the apk or grab it from a third-party service but if you're going to download from the google play store then you are going to need to sign in to google.

here is a little factoid you don't seem to be aware of: the operating system on your phone is made by an advertising company

thanks for the sideloading suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. there are no good choices though; it's google or apple or ms and they're all shits

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

driveimage xml is free, easy, and is capable of copying a system drive live if need be: https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

their getdataback software is really good and worth the $80 FYI. get a copy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

thanks for the sideloading suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. there are no good choices though; it's google or apple or ms and they're all shits

maybe it's you who is poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Broken Machine posted:

just tell me how you expect a application store system that includes syncing of application settings between devices to function without an account to keep track

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Broken Machine posted:

the machine is broken

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

so i got GTAV and after the 3 days of downloading I'm having a good time playing it. however I'm getting extremely bad texture pop in. The floor loads the 'far away' texture, but if i drive too fast over to it teh floor goes invisible, some pedestrians fall through screaming, and then (eventually in some cases) the higher rez texture pops in. CPU usage is fairly high while playign but i'm thinkign its teh lack of vram / crossfire thats killign it for me.

PC: amc quad core clocked to 4ghz, 2 radeon HD6870s in crossfire, lots of ram, too big motherboard

should i use this as an excuse to get a nice nvidia 970? or will a 760 be a huge upgrade? or will my cpu be too poo poo to play gtav anyway and i shoudl replace that?

or shoudl i reutrn gtav? mgsv runs really nicely on my machine

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

forgot to mention, some people say to disable crossfire, which i havent tried yet but a single 6870 is not really good gpu these days. and i got the lastest beta drivers from amd which did help, a bit

and teh 6870s are 1 or 2 gb each. i think 1

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

bobbilljim posted:

so i got GTAV and after the 3 days of downloading

nice internet connection

for a clown to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bobbilljim posted:

so i got GTAV and after the 3 days of downloading I'm having a good time playing it. however I'm getting extremely bad texture pop in. The floor loads the 'far away' texture, but if i drive too fast over to it teh floor goes invisible, some pedestrians fall through screaming, and then (eventually in some cases) the higher rez texture pops in. CPU usage is fairly high while playign but i'm thinkign its teh lack of vram / crossfire thats killign it for me.

PC: amc quad core clocked to 4ghz, 2 radeon HD6870s in crossfire, lots of ram, too big motherboard

should i use this as an excuse to get a nice nvidia 970? or will a 760 be a huge upgrade? or will my cpu be too poo poo to play gtav anyway and i shoudl replace that?

or shoudl i reutrn gtav? mgsv runs really nicely on my machine

step one: get an new nvidia, and ideally find some sucker to offload your double amd cards to

step two: get loving intel cpu already christ