Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Grim Up North posted:

Agreed, either get ad-free alternatives or pay up, for the the web there's Firefox and uBlock Origin, and Lightflow works without root.

Yeah lots of apps don't have an ad free pay alternative and if the usefulness of being able to block any connection via the hosts file isn't obvious then sure, blocking ads in the browser would be fine for you.

And yes I misspoke - lightflow works on the n5 without root; not so much on the n6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm curious: which ad-supported apps don't have the option to pay to remove ads and also don't have a better alternative?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dik-dik posted:

I'm curious: which ad-supported apps don't have the option to pay to remove ads and also don't have a better alternative?

lovely pay-to-win "games"

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have an old original razr and a desk dock for it, I essentially want to turn this into a glorified alarm clock. It used to have Verizon service and now the worst part is it constantly has 2 voice mails from 1970 and I cant check the voicemail to get rid of the notification, already tried using my current phone with the same number to check voicemail.

If I root this phone, can I go though and gut the phone removing all the Verizon/Motorola crap and remove features related to the phone? Is there a replacement ROM that will essentially turn my device into a small tablet?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have an old original razr and a desk dock for it, I essentially want to turn this into a glorified alarm clock. It used to have Verizon service and now the worst part is it constantly has 2 voice mails from 1970 and I cant check the voicemail to get rid of the notification, already tried using my current phone with the same number to check voicemail.

If I root this phone, can I go though and gut the phone removing all the Verizon/Motorola crap and remove features related to the phone? Is there a replacement ROM that will essentially turn my device into a small tablet?

I can't imagine the voicemail notification will survive a factory reset. Have you tried that? As for turning it into a tablet, if there isn't a sim card in, that's what it is.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

After ignoring the patch for the Stagefright vulnerability for a month or two, I finally flashed an update zip which squashed it on my rooted Sprint Samsung S4, confirmed by Lookout's Stagefright Detector app which previously showed I was affected.

But Google Play Services is still showing me that there's a system update is ready to install. How do I dismiss it and delete the unneeded 300 MB update it's trying to deliver (I only have around 800 MB free on my system partition and it's causing issues) without clearing all data for Play Services or hiding all of its notifications forever? Should I have updated to a fixed rooted ROM instead, which would presumably increment the OS build version?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Is there a chainfire post somewhere in those massive threads about what exactly changed with 6.0 that made rooting so painful? The op is just "I have a beta, try it."

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been having an issue with a game hanging every time the music loops ever since upgrading to Lollipop on my nexus 5. I've reinstalled the game and it didn't do anything so I'm thinking of doing a factory reset. Would doing a factory reset remove root?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Harik posted:

Is there a chainfire post somewhere in those massive threads about what exactly changed with 6.0 that made rooting so painful? The op is just "I have a beta, try it."

Google switched SELinux to Enforcing. SELinux is a security enhancement that restricts what applications can do on a device based on a policy. The policy is in the boot images, which root developers don't want to touch because it's a logistical nightmare to maintain them. The beta does just this, and chainfire really wants to avoid touching the boot images in the final release. This is actually better than disabling SELinux outright, which would require modifying the kernel (which is also stored in the boot image).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

dpbjinc posted:

Google switched SELinux to Enforcing. SELinux is a security enhancement that restricts what applications can do on a device based on a policy. The policy is in the boot images, which root developers don't want to touch because it's a logistical nightmare to maintain them. The beta does just this, and chainfire really wants to avoid touching the boot images in the final release. This is actually better than disabling SELinux outright, which would require modifying the kernel (which is also stored in the boot image).

Good luck with avoiding changing the boot image - if you could do that, so could any attacker on any selinux protected datacenter.

Not that you can't modify selinux during operation - but you need to have a binary with the appropriate permissions to do it.

On the plus side, merging in a few grants to a binary so it can give whatever else it needs shouldn't be a big deal, and it would fall on the shoulders of the root maintainers for that device.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
This is the weirdest issue on my old Nexus 4. A portion of the lower half of the screen just doesnt respond to touch input, at all. When I enable dev mode and have it show touch input, theres just a huge dead zone just above the soft keys up to about a 1/5 of the screen. The weird thing is, it works fine when I'm in a custom recovery with touch support, like TWRP. Is there really a hardware issue? If not, how can I fix it? I did a full factory reset and that didn't seem to help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

This is the weirdest issue on my old Nexus 4. A portion of the lower half of the screen just doesnt respond to touch input, at all. When I enable dev mode and have it show touch input, theres just a huge dead zone just above the soft keys up to about a 1/5 of the screen. The weird thing is, it works fine when I'm in a custom recovery with touch support, like TWRP. Is there really a hardware issue? If not, how can I fix it? I did a full factory reset and that didn't seem to help.

Two things I'd try:

In a different orientation and with touch inputs shown, does the dead zone work? What about in something that supports full inversion, like Pac-Man 256? Does the "bottom" work when it's the top?

Next, assuming your bootloader is unlocked, try reflashing everything in fastboot (if you're unlocked you can do this without risk to your data, just don't use the script).

Post here if you need help doing the fastboot poo poo.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, it persists in the same 'area' even when I change orientation. I've used fastboot to do manual updates before to keep custom recovery, root, and modem, so yeah I guess I literally ha e to just erase everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

Yeah, it persists in the same 'area' even when I change orientation. I've used fastboot to do manual updates before to keep custom recovery, root, and modem, so yeah I guess I literally ha e to just erase everything.

No, you don't have to erase everything unless it doesn't work. Just extract the system.img file and then type from the bootloader

fastboot flash system system.img

You'll have to re-root (boot into recovery, sideload your ssu.zip) but that's it. It will keep userdata intact.

e: If it's working in that area on a touch recovery and not when it's in Android it has to be a software issue. If we have to reflash full stock we will but let's see if we can't fix it in place first.

I guess the other question since this is the root thread: This is stock 5.1.1 LMY48T rooted with an LTE modem and custom recovery installed, correct?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, pretty much.

I was going to put it back to stock as a last resort. I got my Nexus 5X already so not a huge deal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

I was going to put it back to stock as a last resort. I got my Nexus 5X already so not a huge deal.

If that's the case I'd just move everything over to the 5X and completely flatten and reinstall the stock image. You should be able to move everything using NFC so you shouldn't need the data on the 4 or at least not much of it.

This is a lot easier to troubleshoot if you don't care about the data on the device.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I dropped my Nexus 4, the screen cracked and no longer responds to touch. I'd like to use Droid Explorer and/or AndroidScreenCast to retain access or disable my 2-factor authenticators as needed until my replacement comes in. The jist of it:

1. USB debugging is off
2. Phone is rooted
3. Phone is not encrypted
4. Bootloader is unlocked
5. Custom recovery available (currently ClockworkMod)

Is there some way I can use recovery or fastboot to turn USB debugging on? I think this ought to do it?

(And no, I don't have a USB OTG cable to plug a mouse, sadly.)

edit: gently caress everything, editing those data files and/or faffing around in recovery mode apparently threw my phone in a boot loop. The spinning dots just go on forever. I tried rolling back my changes, wiping cache & dalvik-cache to no avail. :sigh:

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 30, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do you have a printout of your backup codes somewhere? You should be able to disable 2FA with one of those, I believe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do you have a printout of your backup codes somewhere? You should be able to disable 2FA with one of those, I believe.

Yeah, I do. I've already disabled the critical ones, still would kind of like to be able to access the phone in case something goes south.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Check out the direction Chainfire is looking for root on Marshmallow. I'd really like to see this being the preferred method as it seems a hell of a lot cleaner than the current set of workarounds.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Check out the direction Chainfire is looking for root on Marshmallow. I'd really like to see this being the preferred method as it seems a hell of a lot cleaner than the current set of workarounds.

quote:

Chainfire's modified boot method still has some kinks to work out. A lot of apps with hard-coded paths to Super User don't work, a factory reset of the phone wipes both the root status and the phone's PIN, each phone needs its own individually-modded boot file, and Chainfire describes the current development status as "bugs, bugs everywhere." There's also no way to apply this to a currently-rooted phone without flashing a stock build again. Even so, it's an exciting development for root users - hopefully some of the problems will be addressed before the next big Nexus OTA.

Sounds like a daily driver to me.

Isn't the entire purpose of having root so that you can modify System files? Sure, the process of rooting won't cause updates to fail, but certainly anything you'd use root for would, right (except maybe Titanium Backup)?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't the entire purpose of having root so that you can modify System files? Sure, the process of rooting won't cause updates to fail, but certainly anything you'd use root for would, right (except maybe Titanium Backup)?
None of the stuff I've used root for in the last couple of years modifies /system. App backups, battery stats, Xposed, automation of reserved settings like aeroplane mode. Not sure about adblockers, think that depends on the method used.

Edit: Actually does Xposed have to be installed to /system? I can't even remember since it's been so long since I was running a version of Android that it even worked on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Tunga posted:

None of the stuff I've used root for in the last couple of years modifies /system. App backups, battery stats, Xposed, automation of reserved settings like aeroplane mode. Not sure about adblockers, think that depends on the method used.

Edit: Actually does Xposed have to be installed to /system? I can't even remember since it's been so long since I was running a version of Android that it even worked on.

Yes, Xposed installed to /system, but it also has an uninstall option. However, I have no idea if uninstalling reverts everything well enough to avoid screwing up updates.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, Xposed installed to /system, but it also has an uninstall option. However, I have no idea if uninstalling reverts everything well enough to avoid screwing up updates.

Nope; the /system partition will be trashed for OTA and Android Pay's 'security'-by-proxy stuff as soon as you flip the write bit.

The theory right now is that you can build an overlay that can take all the Xposed/Ad-blocking hostfile/etc stuff instead of actual /system, but this is something of uncharted territory for Android.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My S4 has been giving me more and more trouble recently, culminating in it rebooting itself and then looping at the bootloader when I was in the middle of nowhere, Pennsylvania today leaving me to abandon a customer site visit and navigate blindly back to the Turnpike to get home.

I acknowledge that the thread title is right, I really don't need to do this anymore, but I like the idea that I can mess with things if I come up with a reason to. I also acknowledge that the Nexus devices are by default the best choice for anyone interested in messing around with Android, but unless they start offering some huge increases in storage space a phone without a SD slot remains a no-go for me.

With that in mind, what's the best choice for a rootable phone with a SD slot these days? The less OEM skin crap the better (solid AOSP ROM support is equivalent in my mind), and OLED > LCD.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

This is worth keeping an eye on too

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/root-t3231211

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

My S4 has been giving me more and more trouble recently, culminating in it rebooting itself and then looping at the bootloader when I was in the middle of nowhere, Pennsylvania today leaving me to abandon a customer site visit and navigate blindly back to the Turnpike to get home.

For what it's worth I've had no problems on my AT&T S4 using Cyanogenmod. Not sure whether you're currently running stock or or a different ROM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nintendo Kid posted:

For what it's worth I've had no problems on my AT&T S4 using Cyanogenmod. Not sure whether you're currently running stock or or a different ROM.

I don't believe the problem I had is related to any software issues, it wasn't getting to the point of actually launching the ROM. Vibrate, S4 logo pops up for a half second or so, black screen, repeat 2-3 times before it gives up. I couldn't even get to recovery. It's somehow related to power, because I finally got it to boot after leaving it on a high-power charger for a few minutes, but oddly enough changing the battery did nothing.

For the record I'm also running Cyanogenmod, and since mine's the T-Mobile version its 100% the exact same hardware as the GPE models thus should have minimal potential issues with AOSP.

I'm leaning towards a second-hand Note 4. It would gain me that nice big 1440p screen and the fancy pen while still being fully expandable and last I looked it seemed like CM had it pretty well covered.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

wolrah posted:

I also acknowledge that the Nexus devices are by default the best choice for anyone interested in messing around with Android, but unless they start offering some huge increases in storage space a phone without a SD slot remains a no-go for me.
So you're saying 128GB isn't enough?

https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6p

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

A fixed amount of storage is never enough long term. The way you use storage is impacted by how much of it you have. Over the years I've expanded my SD card from 8 to 32 to 64GB and filled up every one. The only way I'm OK with getting a fixed-capacity phone is if its sufficiently large that I don't see it as very likely that I'll fill it up before I want to replace it for other reasons (roughly two years, historically).

Personally I think 128GB is the bare minimum a "flagship" class phone should ship with. It's 2015, memory is cheap as hell, these 32GB models have to stop. If any of the fixed memory phones offered 256GB I'd consider it and 512GB would be sold, but 128 is just double what I currently use so I know I'd be hating it a year or so down the line.

Also removable storage is useful for other reasons, like right now. I got it booting earlier but it died when I received a call and isn't booting again, so at the moment anything on the internal storage that isn't also "in the cloud" is possibly lost forever depending on what boxes I had checked last time I did a nandroid. The SD card on the other hand I just slip in to an adapter and pop in to my laptop to get everything back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You're making it sound like 512 GB are cheap and readily available.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The world you live in is so baffling. I'm not saying you're wrong for it, it's just so unlike mine these days. I mean still needing or wanting to nandroid, not having things properly backed up (likely the apps fault not yours). It's just like a 2+ year time warp. While I agree the amount of storage or the premium they charge vs the cost is out of whack, I'm also struggling to fill my 64GB Nexus 6 and I keep a fair amount of podcasts, pictures and video on here.

And this is why Android is both great and terrible. Use cases can vary so heavily and manufactures understandably want to maximize profits so they're deincentivized towards pricing things like storage more sanely. But you also have, at least, some options for your more edge case usually.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

You're making it sound like 512 GB are cheap and readily available.

He never said cheap, he said he'd be willing to buy it. Those are separate ideas.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nintendo Kid posted:

He never said cheap, he said he'd be willing to buy it. Those are separate ideas.

wolrah posted:

...It's 2015, memory is cheap as hell, these 32GB models have to stop...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

In no place did he say that 512 GB specifically is cheap. Just that flash memory is, because, well, it is and has been for quite some time. He mentioned 128 GB as where he'd like the base to be, and frankly that is cheap.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm apparently bad at googling today. What's the buy-in-bulk price per NAND chip for 128gb these days?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm apparently bad at googling today. What's the buy-in-bulk price per NAND chip for 128gb these days?

Depends powerfully on application.

For Micro/SD and USB read and write speed just have to be fast enough (both in MByte/sec and operations/sec) to not be frustrating, and write endurance is quoted in who gives a shits.

For NVMe and SATA read and write speed matter and write endurance is in the thousands to tens of thousands (and for $Texas enterprise purposes, hundreds of thousands) of cycles.

For embedded devices (like phones and tablets) MByte/sec can't be disregarded as thoroughly as on flash cards but operations and write endurance have to be at least consumer SSD level. In a MicroSD-size package. Not as costly as the per-tier premium on your phone but nothing resembling cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
High quality 128 GB microSD cards cost around $80 to the customer these days, bulk buy prices for the same amount of high quality flash memory without the microSD packaging would surely be much less.

Trash quality 128 GB microSDs can be had for much less but that's not useful for a phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Thread title aside CM is such a massively better experience than the stock LG software on the G3 that it isn't even funny. Much better performance, almost double the battery life and a UI that doesn't suck

Camera performance is a lot worse but really it's a small price to pay for an actual usable phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Wolrah, if you are OK with a Snapdragon 810, get a Sony Z5/Z5C. If not, get a Motorola phone that has an SD card. The X Force looks pretty badass, and I think it has one.