Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funkmaster General posted:

Wait, are the Guardians in Halo 5 supposed to be the mysterious force that kills you for going out of bounds in older Halo games? You know, "Killed by the guardians."

That's sort of neat if so, but I didn't think of it until days after finishing the campaign, so they didn't put much emphasis on it.

I think that's where the name comes from but it goes literally no further than that.

MickRaider posted:

Do they ever explain what an AI "is"

Just a buzz of electrons or what?

As Cortana starts (awkwardly) referring to them as all of a sudden, they're "created". That's all that defines AI in the Halo universe, they have sentience and they were artificially created. How they operate isn't really important as long as they're sentient and weren't born from evolution. Exactly how the UNSC AIs work you'll have to go read some book to find out but its really not important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It's been a while since I listened to fall of reach but if I recall they make AI by some process using dead peoples brains, which are in some way expended when you do this, the exception to this being Cortana who they made by making a flash clone of Halsey's brain and using that.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
So wait, I didn't get a clear answer about defeating the Warden solo on legendary. You can just headshot him a bunch and hope for the best? You can assassinate him...?? At what point is he vulnerable to something like that? Is there a visual or audio cue? I'm so annoyed by this fight.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

AwkwardKnob posted:

So wait, I didn't get a clear answer about defeating the Warden solo on legendary. You can just headshot him a bunch and hope for the best? You can assassinate him...?? At what point is he vulnerable to something like that? Is there a visual or audio cue? I'm so annoyed by this fight.

I know at one point before that there's dialogue that is in the game that directs Locke Halo to aim for the glowing weak spot on another enemy so try that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

AwkwardKnob posted:

You can shoot him from any direction, the back does slightly more damage. If you hear him grunt you know you are damaging him. That and luck basically dodging the mobs because he just keeps spawning him, it's best just to put as much damage into him as fast as you can from any direction

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AwkwardKnob posted:

The Warden is an absolutely stupid fight. I don't know about assassinating him, but otherwise beating him is literally just a dps race. As long as you can put large amounts of damage on him really fast, he'll just get stun-locked and die. But if you let him run around at all he'll just come carve you in half in a second. Make sure you tell your squad to focus on him (because SPARTANs are too loving stupid to attack a boss unless you tell them to first :v:) but otherwise just put a ton of bullets in his face as soon as possible.

Ignore the adds or turrets and just focus on him immediately without pause. You would THINK that clearing the adds and turrets before engaging him would be a smart strategy, but no, 343i is too loving thick for that.

By comparison Destiny's bosses are positively genius. :suicide:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ql8RgrhOqA

no clue when you can do that but there ya go

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zaphod42 posted:

The Warden is an absolutely stupid fight. I don't know about assassinating him, but otherwise beating him is literally just a dps race. As long as you can put large amounts of damage on him really fast, he'll just get stun-locked and die. But if you let him run around at all he'll just come carve you in half in a second. Make sure you tell your squad to focus on him (because SPARTANs are too loving stupid to attack a boss unless you tell them to first :v:) but otherwise just put a ton of bullets in his face as soon as possible.

Ignore the adds or turrets and just focus on him immediately without pause. You would THINK that clearing the adds and turrets before engaging him would be a smart strategy, but no, 343i is too loving thick for that.

By comparison Destiny's bosses are positively genius. :suicide:

Me and my buddies actually just spontaneously groaned in unison when we Met the guardian for the umptenth time at the end, but now there was like a bunch of them. Funny how the only bossfight that could have been good was done via some lame anime ish CGI cutscene in the first level, while the real bossfights were just the same lovely alien robot over and over. Its just laughable and it boggles my mind how that poo poo got through playtesting, or even get suggested in the first place.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm kind of wondering if they pulled a Revengeance, where one team wrote the original betrayal story, scenes relating to it, etcetera, then when the remainder of Old Bungie left they started from Zero + Some Assets on the singleplayer.

Because seriously, the AI sounds utterly abysmal for a series that once prided itself on having smart, unique, and engaging AI.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
The AI is hilariously bad and I feel awful for those of you attempting legendary solo.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you're gonna do big enemies you shouldn't have boss fights - just have ambient critters like the emus and gundarks on Reach. Have alien dinosaurs or something and then they get digitized/floodified or whatnot.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

McDowell posted:

If you're gonna do big enemies you shouldn't have boss fights - just have ambient critters like the emus and gundarks on Reach. Have alien dinosaurs or something and then they get digitized/floodified or whatnot.

That's an obvious and creative solution so of course that's right out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GyverMac posted:

Me and my buddies actually just spontaneously groaned in unison when we Met the guardian for the umptenth time at the end, but now there was like a bunch of them. Funny how the only bossfight that could have been good was done via some lame anime ish CGI cutscene in the first level, while the real bossfights were just the same lovely alien robot over and over. Its just laughable and it boggles my mind how that poo poo got through playtesting, or even get suggested in the first place.

Its not a matter of it "getting through playtesting", playtesting says "does this boss fight work?" answer "yes". That was a conscious design decision because somebody wanted to save money and/or cut time, possibly because they were behind schedule.

But yeah, the fight with the one guy at the beginning absolutely should have been a boss fight but it was just a cutscene, but Halo boss fights have always kinda sucked so I was almost okay with that. But then they have us do an actual boss and its the same goddamned thing three times in a row, with one more of them each time. loving unbelievable.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

The AI is hilariously bad and I feel awful for those of you attempting legendary solo.

I'm not even going to try it. Heroic solo is already a massive pain in the rear end.

Co-op legendary I'm sure isn't that bad and is probably even pretty fun. You could pull off some clinch rez moves to keep your team going through heavy fire.

But with the AI? gently caress Legendary, much less LASO.

The campaign in general is pretty dead to me, just going to play a bit of multi here and there until the community completely dies in 2 months.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Locke/Chief fight should have been exactly like a 1v1 Team Slayer match to like 10 points and it would have been the best boss fight in the entire series + possibly any other FPS as well

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Babe Magnet posted:

The Locke/Chief fight should have been exactly like a 1v1 Team Slayer match to like 10 points and it would have been the best boss fight in the entire series + possibly any other FPS as well

Just be thankful they didn't put in any QTEs on that sequence

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

That would own but please this is 343 we are talking about and there's not nearly enough gay anime plot in there. I mean really you didn't even mention a carefully crafted cut scene that was made before the game and makes no sense in context

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Have it match you against another player, and whoever wins that's the #HuntTheTruth ending that you get.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AppleCobbler posted:

Just be thankful they didn't put in any QTEs on that sequence

You sick bastard.

Finster Dexter posted:

Have it match you against another player, and whoever wins that's the #HuntTheTruth ending that you get.

Hahaha. Locke Wins. Fatality.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A teabag would be fitting end cutscene for the death of mc

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Babe Magnet posted:

On Guardian

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
Anyone down for Warzone or Warzone Assault? GT: rebelEpik

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
I was trying to remember the names of characters from CoD or Battlefield campaigns...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

-A n i m 8- posted:

I was trying to remember the names of characters from CoD or Battlefield campaigns...

Battlefield campaigns are a joke and comparing Halo to Battlefield really shows how far its sunk over the years.

CoD campaigns are pretty forgettable but I do remember the name "Soap" MacTavish as well as Captain Price, and I've only played each CoD game like maybe once or twice. :v:

On the other hand I remember Master Chief, Cortana, Keyes, Arbiter, 343 guilty spark, Johnson, Buck, Lord Hood, Noble Team (Carter, Cat, Emile, Jorge, Jun), etc. Bungie was good at that poo poo.

But I don't really remember anything from 4 other than the stupid Librarian and the stupid Didact and Captain Angrypants, and from 5 I only remember Cortana coming back from the dead and how extremely badly her character transition was handled :v:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rip private Ramirez

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sorry I meant rip sgt jackson (lol)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
RIP Yuri, who died while we were Juggernauting it up in MW3 :patriot:

And Roach, who got burned to a crisp by his own side. :911:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

-A n i m 8- posted:

Buck.

Oh wait that was the one you reused for Halo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

RIP Yuri, who died while we were Juggernauting it up in MW3 :patriot:

And Roach, who got burned to a crisp by his own side. :911:

rip little girl who got gassed while on vacation

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Zaphod42 posted:

Battlefield campaigns are a joke and comparing Halo to Battlefield really shows how far its sunk over the years.

CoD campaigns are pretty forgettable but I do remember the name "Soap" MacTavish as well as Captain Price, and I've only played each CoD game like maybe once or twice. :v:

On the other hand I remember Master Chief, Cortana, Keyes, Arbiter, 343 guilty spark, Johnson, Buck, Lord Hood, Noble Team (Carter, Cat, Emile, Jorge, Jun), etc. Bungie was good at that poo poo.

But I don't really remember anything from 4 other than the stupid Librarian and the stupid Didact and Captain Angrypants, and from 5 I only remember Cortana coming back from the dead and how extremely badly her character transition was handled :v:

How could you forget memorable characters like Kelly and Linda from HR?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

ethanol posted:

rip little girl who got gassed while on vacation

RIP cool skull mask guy you were too edgy for this world

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
RIP Ssgt Grigs, you'll always be remembered in rap form.

:911:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-5_juTvo0:911:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't remember the specific name, but Infinitys captain in Halo 4 was a huge rear end in a top hat and got all his marines killed by an annoyed Master Chief to prove a point (I can't stop killing friendlies in campaigns)

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I beat the Warden solo on Legendary, hooray! Definitely going to be hitting this one level at a time, because it's just too grindy to put up with for much longer than that. I can only imagine the frustration I'm going to have with multiple Wardens. Other than that, I'm not really having too much trouble on my own, honestly. The squad AI is useless, so if I get downed somewhere, I generally just reboot from the checkpoint and skip right to trying again. That's how doing legendary always worked in the past, and it'll be fine this time. Only difference is the boss fight stuff.

Anyway, I'm morbidly curious to see what the sales figures for Halo 5 wind up being. My gut instinct tells me it's going to have a weak release, maybe the weakest of the whole series - but will get slow and steady growth as they release more game modes and maps for the multiplayer. Or Hell, maybe Fallout 4 and the next Call of Duty will just strangle it in its crib.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure they dropped the buildings in from space. Also I thought you blew up a corvette or something; the supercarrier jumps in after that, along with the rest of the fleet, doesn't it?

quote:

On August 12, Spire One was destroyed revealing the location of the supercarrier to the UNSC. After having its stealth compromised, Long Night of Solace proceeded to destroy the UNSC Grafton and lay waste to several other UNSC deployments. It then retreated to Covenant-held space in orbit above the planet.

goons

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

-A n i m 8- posted:

Soap

also people expect more from a halo game than they do CoD or battlefield.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Yes or no - it is worth $60 to buy this game and play the multiplayer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

Yes (it will be more worth it when the free dlc hits)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

cram me sideways posted:

Nope. Unless you relish the chance to spend even MORE money on req packs.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Oh god I'm fed up with Destiny, TF2 isn't going anywhere. Fallout 4 can't get here soon enough. This motherfucker compared the multiplayer to PacMan DX and Crossy Road, which, what the gently caress? How? I can't get that out of my head.

Are any of you obsessing over the MP in this game? Specifically Arena? I need a new target to flex my sperg on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

cram me sideways posted:

Oh god I'm fed up with Destiny, TF2 isn't going anywhere. Fallout 4 can't get here soon enough. This motherfucker compared the multiplayer to PacMan DX and Crossy Road, which, what the gently caress? How? I can't get that out of my head.

Are any of you obsessing over the MP in this game? Specifically Arena? I need a new target to flex my sperg on.

MP is cool mang. We are swimming in REQ cash, buy more req's peasants! Gotta fund another trilogy yo.

• Locked thread