Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

I loving love avocados.

The Guardian exists to protect your interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't have a lot of time for C-list TV chef James Martin, but when I saw the way he prepared an avocado it changed my life for ever. My wife remains unconvinced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We won't bomb syria except for all the times we already did? What?

Also do guided missile strikes count as bombs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Self-defense against British citizens hundreds of miles away isn't bombing.

Even when it's with bombs. From a bomber.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

LemonDrizzle posted:

It can't quite compare with the importance of Monster Munch, but we won't be bombing Syria:

That majority's looking pretty wobbly at the moment.
I think the last few weeks have shaken the weird sense of absolute power the Tories had after winning a stunning victory (i.e. a slim majority instead of an arsekicking) in May. Maybe they forgot how parliamentary democracy works.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That's a really poo poo headline from the Guardian. It makes it look like Cameron is against bombing Syria, when he's actually against voting to bomb them until he's sure he can win.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're incredibly incredibly powerful and are the best crisps

Do you also agree that a furry disco (you know what I mean) can be a quite extraordinary transport of delight, and when you get a good pack of salt and vinegar mccoys that actually has lots of flavour they are also very stronk?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fans posted:

That's a really poo poo headline from the Guardian. It makes it look like Cameron is against bombing Syria, when he's actually against voting to bomb them until he's sure he can win.
I think you're reading a bit much into it, tbh. Anyway, here's the article itself: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/02/cameron-drops-plans-commons-vote-airstrikes-isis-syria

quote:

David Cameron is to shelve plans to call a House of Commons vote to approve British airstrikes against Islamic State (Isis) targets in Syria in a belief that he has failed to win over enough Labour MPs and a recognition that Russia’s military intervention has complicated the picture.
Downing Street has decided that RAF involvement in coalition airstrikes against Isis targets should not be extended from Iraq. There are fears that the prime minister would be weakened on the world stage by a second parliamentary defeat over military action in Syria.
Ministers had been discussing a potential Commons motion with Labour MPs as recently as 10 days ago, but the government has undergone a change of heart after failing to win the support of sufficient Labour MPs to be confident that it can overcome what is likely to be a sizeable Tory rebellion.
It is estimated that between 20 to 30 Labour MPs would be prepared to vote in favour of strikes – about the same number of Tory MPs who would rebel against the prime minister.
The Tories’ parliamentary majority of 17 means that, on paper at least, the prime minister could still prevail if the number of rebel Labour and Tory MPs cancelled each other out. But Cameron, who was badly burned after he failed in his attempts to win parliamentary approval for separate airstrikes against Bashar al-Assad in August 2013, is likely to be nervous about holding a vote when the numbers are so tight. He has previously said that he would only table a vote if there was a “genuine consensus” on the issue.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

My favourite Monster munch was the 90s-2000 Cheese Flavor.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I bought some McCoys today because there was a multipack of 6 for £1. Unfortunately 2 of them are Ready Salted & Ready Salted McCoy's are the blandest crisp outside of those dumb "shake some salt into the bag because we are too lazy to do it ourselves" crisps.

I love those salt and shake crisps. They're basically just salt and a bag, it's great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cargohills posted:

I love those salt and shake crisps. They're basically just salt and a bag, it's great.

Can't you just nick a bunch of salt sachets from mcdonalds?

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
The truth about avocados has been out there for years anyway. You feed a baby a kiwi fruit and see if he can fend off a burglar with a broom. Rubbish.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sundayturks posted:

The truth about avocados has been out there for years anyway. You feed a baby a kiwi fruit and see if he can fend off a burglar with a broom. Rubbish.

I remember that book from my childhood. It left me with a vague disappointment every time I tried and eat an avocado and realised it was horrible :( Even now I'm fighting the voice in my head saying "no, you really like them - the baby thinks they're great!"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you just nick a bunch of salt sachets from mcdonalds?

It just isn't the same that way.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I remember that book from my childhood. It left me with a vague disappointment every time I tried and eat an avocado and realised it was horrible :( Even now I'm fighting the voice in my head saying "no, you really like them - the baby thinks they're great!"

How can you not like them I don't understand.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I mean I'm not insane right guys?

I mean you guys heard of the 90s-2000s Cheese flavour Monster munch right?

RIGHT?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Extreme0 posted:

RIGHT?

I feel like I remember it but I'm not sure if I'm just creating that memory now that you've mentioned them.

I remember there was a Spicy monster munch going around, I don't remember liking it much though

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

How can you not like them I don't understand.

She probably hasn't seen the way c-list TV chef Jamie Martin prepares them.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've never eaten Monster Munch

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Niric posted:

She probably hasn't seen the way c-list TV chef Jamie Martin prepares them.

That might be it. I've always tried them plain, like taking a piece of melon, and been bitterly disappointed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Haha same, I hate avocados and all derivatives thereof (guac :barf:) and I wonder what I'm missing or if I actually like them or what.

IceAgeComing posted:

I've never eaten Monster Munch

Wait, what's the protocol for this? Wall? Gulag? Or is it due to bourgeoisie control of the means of crisp production which have led this poor goon to such a terrible fate?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

That might be it. I've always tried them plain, like taking a piece of melon, and been bitterly disappointed.

Wholemeal toast. Perfectly ripe avocado crushed onto it with a fork - not too mushy. Sprinkle of salt. Lovely stuff.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I remember an amazing cheese flavour popcorn that existed for a fleeting moment of my childhood.

I ate bags and bags of the stuff and now whenever I mention it everyone thinks I'm mental.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Haha same, I hate avocados and all derivatives thereof (guac :barf:) and I wonder what I'm missing or if I actually like them or what.

I feel like some people love them for the creamy fatty quality they have, but they always have this bizarre and disquieting aftertaste to me that makes it impossible to stomach them, even when trying really fresh ones from various countries. I fear we are merely not members of the avocado chosen...

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Get a slice of good brown bread and a ripe avocado. Chop the avocado's flesh into decently thick slices, place on the bread, and smoosh them a bit with your knife (if the avocado's properly ripened, it should be almost spread-able). Sprinkle some coarsely-ground salt over the smooshed avocado, and eat. This is the method endorsed by me and also by my uncle who owns an avocado farm in New Zealand and is therefore clearly an authority on the matter.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The best fruit-plus-bread combo is a warm freshly baked roll with a nice vine tomato squished up on top. Avocado can do one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I remember an amazing cheese flavour popcorn that existed for a fleeting moment of my childhood.

I ate bags and bags of the stuff and now whenever I mention it everyone thinks I'm mental.

Speaking of things that we may have imagined, I recalled a really tangy orange drink which somehow had a milky texture. I had this as a kid when I was in Northern Ireland. It took me over twenty years to find something like it, when I tasted my fiance's Orange Julius. I had to go to another continent!

So you may be remembering something real but from like Mauritania or some poo poo.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I feel like some people love them for the creamy fatty quality they have, but they always have this bizarre and disquieting aftertaste to me that makes it impossible to stomach them, even when trying really fresh ones from various countries. I fear we are merely not members of the avocado chosen...

Commiserations to us and hookerbot :(:hf::(

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The best fruit-plus-bread combo is a warm freshly baked roll with a nice vine tomato squished up on top. Avocado can do one.

When I was about 7 my mum used to make me banana sandwiches. I remember liking them but then I was 7.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like guacamole. I like avocado as part of a salad. Avocado on a sandwich with other things though I can't stand.
Tomatoes are good in sauce and fried, I don't like them raw.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Avocados are actually very delicious. I'm one of those unfortunate freaks that can't stand coriander because it tastes like soap, though, so a lot of proper Mexican stuff is off limits to me in a limited capacity :(

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Speaking of things that we may have imagined, I recalled a really tangy orange drink which somehow had a milky texture. I had this as a kid when I was in Northern Ireland. It took me over twenty years to find something like it, when I tasted my fiance's Orange Julius. I had to go to another continent!

That sounds a bit like Creamola Foam, which was available until the late 90s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's just reminded me of Rice Creamola, which I haven't had in decades. Does that still exist?

I did a quick google and one of the autosuggestions was 'download rice creamola' which sounds like the best idea.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mister Adequate posted:

when I tasted my fiance's Orange Julius

i don't understand the new slang the kids are using these days i really don't

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Someone should do a vox pop, asking people about Remembrance Day/Sunday and see what the general public knows/thinks it's for. Bet that would be depressing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Extreme0 posted:

RIGHT?

No, but google has.

also:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Wholemeal toast. Perfectly ripe avocado crushed onto it with a fork - not too mushy. Sprinkle of salt. Lovely stuff.
Yeah but how is the toast cut? :v:

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

Someone should do a vox pop, asking people about Remembrance Day/Sunday and see what the general public knows/thinks it's for. Bet that would be depressing.

uh, i think it's called "poppy day" you commie traitor.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

No, but google has.

also:

From an evil alternative timeline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Love Like Blood posted:

uh, i think it's called "poppy day" you commie traitor.
Poppy Day is where we consume the fruit of the poppy to forget about the stream of revisionist nonsense about WWI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ddraig posted:

Avocados are actually very delicious. I'm one of those unfortunate freaks that can't stand coriander because it tastes like soap, though, so a lot of proper Mexican stuff is off limits to me in a limited capacity :(

I've got this thing but with some herb or spice that's in curry. As in it makes me physically sick, I don't mind the taste at all. It's really bad and a lot of people don't believe me, school meals were a torture.

As a result I always feel left out when people talk about Indian food, I'll never know what's so good about it :(

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 3, 2015

• Locked thread