Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
durr, its got a ghey rear end fail integrated email client. *knocks on skull to make hollow sound* newsflash chief: nobody cares. look *points to top corner with cl_showfps 1* yep, thats 273 fps. the OSX and Linux Native Client? *reaches into lunchbox and pulls out vintage 90s tiger handheld* yea, that's about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you play computer games and are over the age of 18

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mishaq posted:

lol if you play computer games and are over the age of 18

lol if you post 73 pages worth of autistic garbage about chip and pin credit cards in YOSPOS

not tp mention: video work, rendering, cad, etc. every program, basically. sorry. get bent

e: typo

Smythe fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 2, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

lol if you post 73 pages worth of autistic garbage about chip and pin credit cards in YOSPOS

not tp mention: video work, rendering, cad, etc. every program, basically. sorry. get bent

e: typo

chip and SIGNATURE tyvm :colbert:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

chip and SIGNATURE tyvm :colbert:

christ no one cares

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my new credit cards have the chip and now it takes me twice as long to pay cuz cashiers do it wrong and have to retry 3 times

that's my story

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
after I spent a few minutes turning off all of the obnoxious poo poo that is turned on by default I am finding Windows 10 very needs suiting and not at all a bother

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
its alright, then i accidentally open up a metro app or setting and get real mad

hmm yes open up full screen app full of white space that contains less information than the windows 7 equivalent, just what i wanted on my desktop workstation

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Perplx posted:

its alright, then i accidentally open up a metro app or setting and get real mad

hmm yes open up full screen app full of white space that contains less information than the windows 7 equivalent, just what i wanted on my desktop workstation

so unmaximize the window lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

anthonypants posted:

the verge is reporting that beginning in early 2016, windows 7/8 computers will automatically download windows 10 and offer to install it to users

did they already make it so it automatically downloads?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

did they already make it so it automatically downloads?

only if you have optional updates turned on automatically. next year they're shifting the auto download to recommended. they'll probably make it critical at some point as well.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

they have not yet.

i'd like to examine the heads that thought the following logic of having a background download of a 4 gb file with constant prompts and reminders of upgrading was a good idea.

i am sure to find said heads are either a box of potatoes or some real lovely high-exec trolls.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

they'll probably make it critical at some point as well.

this would actually be maybe sort-of legitimate, if this happens in like 2025 or whenever windows 7 no longer gets any updates of any kind and continuing to use it becomes dangerous like using XP today

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i kind of implicitly understand "critical update" to mean "it is dangerous to continue using your machine without installing this", which does fit with "the os you use is no longer receiving any updates except for this big upgrade to the next version of the whole thing"

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
they want to force everyone to be on w10 before they press the "pay monthly to continue using your computer" button

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nitrocat posted:

they have not yet.

i'd like to examine the heads that thought the following logic of having a background download of a 4 gb file with constant prompts and reminders of upgrading was a good idea.

i am sure to find said heads are either a box of potatoes or some real lovely high-exec trolls.

they want the windows app store on as many computers as possible, all other concerns are secondary

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Korean Boomhauer posted:

they want to force everyone to be on w10 before they press the "pay monthly to continue using your computer" button

don't be ridiculous, the button just updates win 10 to have banner ads in every menu, targeted with the mandatorily-shared total personal data collection and cross referenced with voice analysis from the always-listening cortana/kinect microphones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

don't be ridiculous, the button just updates win 10 to have banner ads in every menu, targeted with the mandatorily-shared total personal data collection and cross referenced with voice analysis from the always-listening cortana/kinect microphones

I think the endgame for windows is banner ads for malware inside the os

also cortana is only for rich countries

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pay monthly for an ad-free version of windows, just like youtube red

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

and since cortana that does things is only a thing in like 6 countries total, the analyzer just interprets "not available in your region" as adblock haxx and bricks the install in most parts of the world

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

microsoft managed to gently caress up the windows 10 start menu scrollbar's mouse tracking. it works everywhere else. it's nitpickjy, but jfc, how?

http://i.imgur.com/aVCgJnV.gifv (notice where the mouse cursor is vs where the scrollbar is)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soldier of Fortran posted:

microsoft managed to gently caress up the windows 10 start menu scrollbar's mouse tracking. it works everywhere else. it's nitpickjy, but jfc, how?

http://i.imgur.com/aVCgJnV.gifv (notice where the mouse cursor is vs where the scrollbar is)
is that lag

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

no, the scrollbar is just in the wrong position relative to where the mouse pointer is. like they hosed up the difference between pixels and dpi scaled points or something

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Windows 10, they hosed up

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

qirex posted:

I think the endgame for windows is banner ads for malware inside the os

also cortana is only for rich countries

the day we get internal ad injection into offline windows will be the death of microsoft. i heard that they are pushing for an all online “cloud os” which is never actually installed on your computer. no thank you, i’d rather have my data stored where I can see it and not on some remote endzone server in bangalore.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nitrocat posted:

the day we get internal ad injection into offline windows will be the death of microsoft. i heard that they are pushing for an all online “cloud os” which is never actually installed on your computer. no thank you, i’d rather have my data stored where I can see it and not on some remote endzone server in bangalore.

xbox music app played ads between songs even if they were from local disk

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

works for me

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

works for me

people advocating to install Windows 10 are like when I tell people having kids is great: I only want you to make the same poor life choices so I don't suffer alone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

windows 10 isn't as bad as people say. it's more of a smoldering municipal trash bin than a raging dumpster fire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

:eyepop: :lol: :eyepop:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'd say that my start menu works fine, but then i remember that i broke it by installing over 500 programs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Phoenixan posted:

i'd say that my start menu works fine, but then i remember that i broke it by installing over 500 programs

ive 1 prigram installed m8, its steam

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

is that meant to be as threatening as it comes off as

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol forever at this

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i remember sarnsung got in trouble for something similar when they started injecting their own ads in between netflix episodes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
OneDrive storage plans change in pursuit of productivity and collaboration
By The OneDrive Team - November 2, 2015
We’re making changes to OneDrive storage plans for consumers and are committed to making this transition as smooth as possible.

Since we started to roll out unlimited butt storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average. Instead of focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of OneDrive users.

Here are the changes:

We’re no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.
Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.
We’re taking the following steps to make this transition as easy as possible for customers:

If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.
If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office 365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To learn more visit the FAQ.
If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.
OneDrive has always been designed to be more than basic file storage and backup. These changes are needed to ensure that we can continue to deliver a collaborative, connected, and intelligent service. They will allow us to continue to innovate and make OneDrive the best option for people who want to be productive and do more.

Additional information can be found at the FAQ, and we will continue to update it throughout the transition.

The OneDrive Team

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

Tanith fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
"in pursuit of productivity and collaboration", what the gently caress is this, an address to the national people's congress?

• Locked thread