Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Magnus Gallant posted:

2001 is great. It's a better overall movie than full metal jacket.

Full Metal Jacket is a great first half of a movie!

Kubrick's best film is for sure The Shining followed very closely by Dr. Strangelove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone said "high art" on the last page in a serious sentence.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

busb posted:

The worst movie ever made is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I didn't say Wyatt Earp was the worst movie ever made. It is just the longest, boringest movie ever made.

The worst movie I have ever seen is a film called Terror Toons. My friends and I had violent reactions toward it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

merk posted:

They were talking about smoking weed and then going to a museum.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
what about eyes wide shut :v:

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Full Metal Jacket isn't a good movie either. Without R Lee Ermey's performance it's completely forgettable and pedestrian.

You guys should watch more than just Kubrick movies. There's a whole world of cinema out there.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thank you for being there, athorman. otherwise how would we ever know that the things we like are not good

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Authorman, what's the best way to preserve your farts: mason jar or wine bottle?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The second half of FMJ was better than the first part.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm on derp's side. Star Trek was good because in its better moments it pulled off the equivalent of a space stage play instead of trying to be a space fantasy opera. It valued the better parts of humanity's optimism and was the counter to the cyberpunk hellscape future that many of our most famous sci-fi movies portray.

It's easy to make fun of and there is a lot of laughable garbage mixed in but as enjoyable as the JJ Abrams movies were they were nostalgia cash-grabs, thus the spirit of the series itself (I'm probably conflating it all to TNG, which is what I am most familiar with) is probably completely unrecoverable at this point.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Authorman posted:

You guys should watch more than just Kubrick movies. There's a whole world of cinema out there.

:shepface:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
in this world there are people who like things, and people who dislike things. i am a person who likes things.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

uranus posted:

in this world there are people who like things, and people who dislike things. i am a person who likes things.

I am ambivalent to this perspective.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I disagree that the Abrams Trek movies are coasting on nostalgia, especially since I am one of many people who don't enjoy the original stuff but really enjoyed the recent movies (the first one more than the second, but still).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Shining > Clockwork Orange > Strangelove > Eyes Wide Shut > Full Metal Jacket > 2001 > Paths of Glory > Lolita > Barry Lyndon > the rest

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I only like three things in this world: Dodgeball, Softball, and the RPG system GURPS.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the only Star Trek I've enjoyed is the new movies

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I disagree that the Abrams Trek movies are coasting on nostalgia, especially since I am one of many people who don't enjoy the original stuff but really enjoyed the recent movies (the first one more than the second, but still).

I think we disagree on semantics then. I think they're nostalgia cashgrabs because they only use the surface-level references to star trek to produce an otherwise mainstream space fantasy movie.

I actually don't mind the decision a ton because that's what the best Star Trek movies (2 & 4) did too, albeit with the original actors.

I just think that having a new TV show is risky and while I hope it's good I doubt it!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

bowmore posted:

The Shining > Clockwork Orange > Strangelove > Eyes Wide Shut > Full Metal Jacket > 2001 > Paths of Glory > Lolita > Barry Lyndon > the rest

Quit trolling.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

merk posted:

Not the mud you specifically wanna sling bb

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Did somebody say HIGH FART

*Farts for a solid 5 minutes, launching into the air and flying joyfully*

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I watched 2001 for the first time last week and adored it. I have never minded a nice cerebral slow paced movie and god the visuals are amazing.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

uranus posted:

thank you for being there, athorman. otherwise how would we ever know that the things we like are not good

Well, somebody has to do it. The world lacks lockers big enough to fit adults inside of them.

merk posted:

Authorman, what's the best way to preserve your farts: mason jar or wine bottle?

Why would I need to preserve my farts when you're always around to remind me of them. <3

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Star Trek is bad. Star Trek TNG is the best thing to ever be shown on television.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FANTASY FOOTBALL UPDATE:

Two big games hinge on performances in tonight's MNF game -

The 1-6 Ideal Pass Law has a strong chance to upset A Smoothie and a Prayer, currently down only 6 points. S/P are locked in on a total of 59, while IPL still has Cam Newton and the Panthers D/ST to play.

Meanwhile, This Week's Tackling Dummy has a chance to take sole ownership of first place in the West Division after Grandi's Caps and Devonta Freeman both suffered losses - If T.Y. Hilton can make double digits tonight receiving for the Colts, Byers will stand alone at 6-2.

Definitely worth tuning in to see how it all turns out.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 3, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Authorman posted:

Let's just be real here and say that The Last Dragon is the best movie ever made and all this dumb space poo poo is for loving nerds.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon is an incredible cinematic experience.

Little Mac posted:

The longest, boringest movie ever made is Wyatt Earp.

Wyatt Earp only exists to remind us all how much better Tombstone is.

busb posted:

The worst movie ever made is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

It's a movie with like half a joke. That half of a joke may not actually be funny.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Cam :love:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I agree with derp and think that while the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies are fun action movies, they are basically Star Trek in name only.

It's hard though because Roddenberry's original vision is so incredibly narrow that he probably would have disapproved of DS9 showing some ambiguous morality and the imperfections of the federation. And DS9 is amazing and universally loved by Star Trek fans, so maybe there's no true Star Trek.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

On November 21, 2008, Newton was arrested for the theft of a laptop computer from another University of Florida student. He was subsequently suspended from the team after the laptop was found to be in his possession.[11] Campus police "tracked the stolen laptop to the athlete...Newton tossed the computer out his dorm window in a humorously ill-advised attempt to hide it from cops."[

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Kung Pow has some funny bits in it, the Wimp Lo stuff in particular (We intentionally taught him kung fu wrong. As a joke.)

Most of the original stuff like gopher chucks and the like was super terrible.

These are my opinions.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Now to undermine my credibility let me say that other than The Shining I haven't liked any other Kubrick movie I've seen.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think the reason why star trek sucks is because we're in the future now and everything still sucks.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Asiina posted:

Now to undermine my credibility let me say that other than The Shining I haven't liked any other Kubrick movie I've seen.

Have not liked or don't think are any good?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Asiina posted:

That's completely fair. Most Kubrick movies are overrated.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

DuckHuntDog posted:

Have not liked or don't think are any good?

That is a different can of worms.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like The Killing a lot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey nerds who like Star Trek: tell me your favorite TNG episode.

Mine is absolutely Measure Of A Man, because that is when the show really started to grow from "Star Trek, again" into the show it really knew it could be. That's not to say Season 2 didn't have some lovely episodes, it absolutely did, but Measure of a Man is good enough that it kind of makes the whole season worthwhile just by its existence.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I don't know the names of episodes. But I liked TNG in general but DS9 more so.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

ANBO-JITSU.

THE ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF THE MARTIAL ARTS.

(not really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Mine is absolutely Measure Of A Man, because that is when the show really started to grow from "Star Trek, again" into the show it really knew it could be. That's not to say Season 2 didn't have some lovely episodes, it absolutely did, but Measure of a Man is good enough that it kind of makes the whole season worthwhile just by its existence.

All Good Things.