Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hazzard posted:

How did Fuhrer go from rank to Hitler's title?
Doesn't it just mean leader? I don't think that the title had any sort of progress from simply an officer rank to something that was used to title Hitler, there isn't any link between the two apart from both being used as 'leader'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Führer (Führerin for a lady) literally just means leader - could be a CEO or whatever. You can even find Führers all over the world thanks to the German word for tourist guide being Fremdeführer or Touristenführer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tekopo posted:

Doesn't it just mean leader? I don't think that the title had any sort of progress from simply an officer rank to something that was used to title Hitler, there isn't any link between the two apart from both being used as 'leader'

Yeah, just imagine it happening in present day with someone becoming The Commander, even though Commander is a rank

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, just imagine it happening in present day with someone becoming The Commander, even though Commander is a rank

Or, y'know, The President (as opposed to any old chairman of a committee).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

edit: feedmegin, why are the soldiers in this war so chill and nice, it weirds me out. is it that a bunch of them served in the Empire and hated what they saw, or what

I couldn't tell you why it was so, but I recall reading about one episode with Prince Rupert, the most experienced general of the Royalists. Prince Rupert had served in the 30 Year's War, see, and picked up a few habits along the way. So come the Civil War, he happened to demand that Leicester pay 2,000 pounds in exchange for not getting sacked. Result: Instantly labeled and constantly caricatured as a mad butcher and told by the King to "slow your roll, this is England, not the Continent."

I don't know enough about the period to do more than speculate, but maybe the reason the English were so chill was because they were an island nation? I.E. Most of their people wouldn't have had any personal experience of war for a very long time, unlike Continental countries with active enemies on their borders.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tomn posted:

I don't know enough about the period to do more than speculate, but maybe the reason the English were so chill was because they were an island nation? I.E. Most of their people wouldn't have had any personal experience of war for a very long time, unlike Continental countries with active enemies on their borders.

Not really. As Hey Gal pointed out, a bunch of people served overseas before the Civil War; also England is and was not an 'island nation' i.e. entirely occupying one island, because Scotland, Wales and Ireland all exist and were happily fighting each other up to at least the previous century. Then you've got the Wars of the Roses before that.

I mean the Civil War kicked off in the first place because a Scottish army beat Charles' English army, and then he tried to raise another army in Ireland to fight the Scots which made the English Parliament a bit nervous-like. All this within the British Isles.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tomn posted:

I couldn't tell you why it was so, but I recall reading about one episode with Prince Rupert, the most experienced general of the Royalists. Prince Rupert had served in the 30 Year's War, see, and picked up a few habits along the way. So come the Civil War, he happened to demand that Leicester pay 2,000 pounds in exchange for not getting sacked. Result: Instantly labeled and constantly caricatured as a mad butcher and told by the King to "slow your roll, this is England, not the Continent."

I hadn't heard about him before. Interesting guy. He also had a magical dog.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

House Louse posted:

Why did he have so many horses, did he put his cavalry on his own horses?
nah, it's just one of those rich-european-dude hobbies

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nenonen posted:

Führer (Führerin for a lady) literally just means leader - could be a CEO or whatever. You can even find Führers all over the world thanks to the German word for tourist guide being Fremdeführer or Touristenführer.

The one thing I would add to this is that the Nazis had a whole cult of the leader going on and placed a huge emphasis on charismatic leadership as important to society as a whole. This "Leadership principle" was hammered on at just about every level of Party organization. In this way by calling Hitler THE Leader they were really framing him as a leader among leaders, the top of a pyramid that emphasized leadership at every level.

Needless to say that word is one of the ones that became somewhat toxic after the 40s. You can still find it, especially in the verb form, but as a title they usually find some way to work around it and come up with something else.

edit: also, German isn't just a language for compound nouns, you can add prefixes to various verbs to alter the meaning. Führen turns into verführen which translates as "to seduce."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

So nobody expected them to live long enough for primer reloads to become an issue?

Reloading the primers (officially called "vent tubes") is just a matter of swapping the magazine. I pulled up the manual's section on ammunition and this is what was expected to be carried:

* 64 shells
* 42 charge containers with a total of 84 powder bags (one bag for HESH, two bags for APDS)
* 6 magazines each holding 14 vent tubes (for a maximum of 84 shots of the main gun before you're definitely empty)

This is the initial loading procedure for the main gun:

quote:

a. Open the breech.

b. Inspect the vent tube magazine and ensure that the transparent end cap of the vent tubes is facing forward.

c. Insert a full vent tube magazine into the magazine guide in the bottom of the vent tube loader. Push the magazine upwards and ensure that the retaining catch on the vent tube loader engages correctly.

d. Pull the rammer handle, on the vent tube loader, fully to the rear. Strike the plunger with the palm of the hand to release the rammer. Check that the rammer handle is fully forward and only the white part is showing (if this does not happen, see Chapter 14, Section 3, vent tube stoppage drills).

e. Place the projectile on the loading platform and push it into the chamber so that it is clear of the charge retaining catch, taking care that the catch is not damaged by the projectile.

f. Open a charge bin, remove the correct charge for the selected projectile, close and secure the lid of the charge bin.

g. Insert the charge into the chamber with the carrying handle towards the projectile and the igniter pad towards the breech. Push the charge well into the chamber with the knuckles of the right hand, ensuring that it goes forward of the obturator sleeve; failure to do this will result in the charge bag being split, as the block rises on closing, and ignitor/propellant being spilt over the obturators and breech block. This could cause a flash back into the turret when firing takes place.

h. Close the breech.

j. Select the next projectile.

k. Pull the loader's firing guard to the rear.

I. Physically ensure that the turret safety switch is at LIVE. (Visual checking is not sufficient in poor light conditions when firing at night, closed down, or when using a respirator, etc.)

m. Report " Loaded".

The gun is semi-automatic and effectively caseless, so the breech is left open and empty after firing. This is how you load immediately after firing:

quote:

a. Place the projectile on the loading platform of the breech and push it into the chamber.

b. Strike the plunger on the vent tube loader with the palm of the hand to release the rammer. Check that the vent tube rammer handle is fully forward and only the white part of the rammer handle is showing. (If it is not fully forward, see Chapter 14, Section 3, vent tube stoppage drills.)

c. Open the charge bin, remove the correct charge, close and secure the lid of the charge bin.

d. Insert the charge into the chamber with the carrying handle towards the projectile and the ignitor pad towards the breech. Push the charge into the chamber with the knuckles of the right hand.

e. Close the breech.

f. Select the next projectile.

g. Pull the loader's firing guard to the rear.

h. Physically check that the turret safety switch is at LIVE.

j. Report " Loaded".

This is a picture of the vent tube magazine:

And this is a spent vent tube next to a solid brass dummy tube:

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 3, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The Japanese Navy has some 100mm and 120mm shells for us today. Which projectile could use short or long propellant sticks? What round(s) were used against submarines? How exactly does a 120mm Illuminant round work? Check it out!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

that's ~13,000 gulden, that's a tiny sum for a military leader at this time. not to mention the entire point is that he didn't sack the place. i think the english are just naive whiners

edit: there's actually an entire genre of english writing during the 30yw where they talk about how horrible it is. they were really interested in it and interested in the fact that it was happening somewhere far away from them

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 2, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think that the whole reloading sequence goes over my head without a video guide. I mean, they fist the propellant in, so that's cool. But it's the same way with describing tank turrets: "you can totally tell it apart by the IR sights and poo poo" means nothing when I can only point out the gun, IR searchlight and hatches.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Ordinance of no quarter to the Irish was basically a formal declaration of a practise that had been pretty common during the Tudor reconquest of Ireland, which was to just hang all captured or surrendering Irish soldiers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Which one of you wrote a podcast on Pike and Shot for The History Network?

(Not to be confused with The History Channel. THN is a dry-as-hell podcast on history stuff. Imagine a British Ben Stein. But with interesting content usually.)

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

JcDent posted:

I think that the whole reloading sequence goes over my head without a video guide. I mean, they fist the propellant in, so that's cool. But it's the same way with describing tank turrets: "you can totally tell it apart by the IR sights and poo poo" means nothing when I can only point out the gun, IR searchlight and hatches.

Something like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NIaoOabF_0&hd=1

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

This is the best way to describe it:

1. Pull back a handle and then smack down a button above it to load a blank cartridge as the primer.

2. Pull out a shell and shove it all the way in.

3. Take out one or two bags of propellant (which have little handles on them) from the compartments next to you and use a closed fist to shove them in after the shell, with the handle going in first. If they're not all the way in, the closing breech will split the bag and spill powder everywhere that blinds you when you pull the trigger. Two propellant bags are packed into each compartment, surrounded by a water jacket (one jacket for each compartment) that ruptures and drenches the powder in case a shell breaches it.

4. Pull a big handle to the left to close the breech.

5. Pull the firing guard near the breech all the way back.

You have now loaded the gun

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

HEY GAL posted:

there's actually an entire genre of english writing during the last thousand years where they talk about how horrible war is. they were really interested in it and interested in the fact that it was happening somewhere far away from them

The milhist nerd blood runs strong in the British Isles. :britain:

FWIW the only goon I have ever met in person is a Brit who lives and works in the U.S.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Why there isn't a TV series based on Prince Rupert? Whether it would be a serious HBO-style thing, a rollicking sexy comedy or a crazed magical animal anime, I don't know.

More seriously, did people in the 30 Years War period compare the quality of the fighting between the various conflicts going on at the time? The little I've read about the ECW gives a vague impression of both sides bumbling around a bit - not that that really matters in the context of the ECW itself because if you win, you win - there's no points for style in war.

Can you even make an objective comparison between different conflicts?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I know there's different stereotypical styles of fighting, like the Netherlands is all about sieges and people who fought in Hungary against the Turks in the Long War thought in terms of fast movement and cav. There's different schools of thought, like the one associated with people who hung out with Maurice of Nassau, or the one that was French Calvinists who fought in the Netherlands on the side of the Dutch. "The Flanders Disease," if you're an Imperialist and you're talking about your Spanish friends, is slow, plodding movement and a focus on sieges.

But I don't recall anyone talking poo poo about the quality of fighting in a particular area or war--at least not in writing, I'm sure that somewhere in England there was a hired foreigner or two just facepalming as his new charges tried yet again to war, he just didn't write it down. I think the English thought of themselves as peaceful and prosperous though, which was the truth.

I think you can talk about quality of fighting in various conflicts, like how the Spanish and the Dutch in the 80yw both got really good at what they were doing, likewise the small, cav-heavy, extremely long-serving units of the second half of the 30yw.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

I went searching and found a really good video showing exactly where everything is on the Chieftain. World of Tanks, I know, but it's really high quality footage of the loader's station. What you're looking for starts at 10:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvru_RU0ic

Funny enough, the only reason I know what I do about the Chieftain is because I'm part of a friend's FATE game on another forum based around tank warfare and my guy is the loader in a Chieftain (and since another player is missing for a few months, I'm handling all the PCs and NPCs in the tank myself for a while). He surprised me with a PDF copy of the manual to study.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

chitoryu12 posted:

I went searching and found a really good video showing exactly where everything is on the Chieftain. World of Tanks, I know, but it's really high quality footage of the loader's station. What you're looking for starts at 10:45

Funny enough, the only reason I know what I do about the Chieftain is because I'm part of a friend's FATE game on another forum based around tank warfare and my guy is the loader in a Chieftain (and since another player is missing for a few months, I'm handling all the PCs and NPCs in the tank myself for a while). He surprised me with a PDF copy of the manual to study.

Disregard any negative connection to WoT there, that guy and those videos are some of the best tank-centric stuff you can find on the web today. Gloss over the WGEU Challenger guy though, he's poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mazz posted:

Disregard any negative connection to WoT there, that guy and those videos are some of the best tank-centric stuff you can find on the web today. Gloss over the WGEU Challenger guy though, he's poo poo.

I never got why he's on their staff. He's got a lot of legit knowledge about armored vehicles and a relatively good way of sharing it in an approachable fashion, but then there's the rest of WoT right there throwing all manner of source material at an RNG and seeing what comes out.

I have a Type 59 in that game and every once in a while I install the game, stomp some pubs, then uninstall because it's world of tanks.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Nick Moran's part of the OG tank-net crew since tyool 2000 and I've always appreciated his posts. Dude kept a diary there when he went to Afghanistan.

e: also in Operation Think Tank they had Ken Estes do his bit, another stalwart internet duder. Strange to see how bideo james brought those folks out in the open.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Koesj posted:

Phwoar that's a great commie tank writeup.

Remember folks that those 'advanced' NATO tanks of the early 60s - Leopard I, upgraded Centurion, M60 (and the AMX-30 I suppose) - were the backbone of their armored forces well into the 1980s. For all their individual faults and collective waste, the T-64/72/80 combo really one-upped the West's efforts in raw performance.

Very true. It's sometimes hard to forget that the probable enemy (heh) of these tanks would have been these older tank and not the big scary Leo2, M1, Challenger, etc.

That said, I have begun to have a real disdain for the T-80 that i'll have to fully explore once I get up to it.

T___A posted:

You should stop using English resources because you get stupid poo poo that is openly contradicted by the people involved.

My Russian is not good enough yet to use their sources unfortunately, but you are right. I've lost count of the number of times in Zaloga's book that the D-54T gun changes from smoothbore to rifled and back.

T___A posted:

The rounds were entirely loaded by human power, however the Object 430 did have spent shell ejection system:
In addition the Object 430 had 50 shells not 16-18

Zaloga! :argh: I had a feeling it was a pure human loader (WoT taught me this :v:) but I assumed that in this case it was some mechanical assist system with 16 shells in the ready rack so to speak.

T___A posted:

While there were proposals using other engines the 5TD was always a thing from day one.

I don't doubt it, but source?

T___A posted:

While there was a crisis of sorts it was due to the armor of the tanks not the gun they used. The Soviets thought the D-10T could not penetrate the new tanks at ranges required to maintain the edge. Also the D-54TS was deemed the solution, which is why it saw limited service with the 5 T-62As they built.

This was another contradictory thing that I noticed in Zaloga's book, it was written that the D-54 would fix the issue as you said, but then later on in the book the reverse is stated.

T___A posted:

While it's true the U-5TS was the brain child of Lenoid Karcev the U-5TS was a compromise solution between Karcev and Khrushchev who originally wanted the 100mm T-12. However the ammunition of the T-12 was too long for the T-62 so Karcev proposed removing the rifling on the D-54TS to get the U-5TS.

Correct, but I decided to gloss over this aspect as it's mostly important in regards to the T-62 rather than the T-64. I'll get to the T-62 later.

T___A posted:

First of all Morozov decided to mount the U-5TS on his own initiative, second of all this resulted in the Object 435 not the Object 430A (the Object 430A was the initial designation for the Object 432)
I don't know who came up with this but the Object 435 used the U-5TS and the unitary round it entailed. Unfortunately I don't have pictures or diagrams of the ammunition layout of the Object 435 but here is the stowage bins of the tank in Kubinka:
Zaloga! :argh:

T___A posted:

The armor layout is a bit incorrect:

Well, the glacis is right at least, (80steel+2(52Fiber)+20steel), but you're right the turret is off. Is that a diagram for the production version of the T-64A? What year?

I should probably have you proofread my next ~tankspost~

JcDent posted:

So T-55AM2 is basically old as balls T-55 with the latest updates? TBH, I don't know if T-55 ever got a B

The T-55 didn't get a B version, but the T-54 did.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xerxes17 posted:

I've lost count of the number of times in Zaloga's book that the D-54T gun changes from smoothbore to rifled and back.

Surprising feats can be achieved given sufficient conscripts and time.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Xerxes17 posted:

Zaloga! :argh: I had a feeling it was a pure human loader (WoT taught me this :v:) but I assumed that in this case it was some mechanical assist system with 16 shells in the ready rack so to speak.
I suspect that is the claim he was trying how make however it is not borne out by the ammunition layout in the turret:

quote:

I don't doubt it, but source?
According to ОТЕЧЕСТВЕННЫЕ БРОНИРОВАННЫЕ МАШИНЫ 1945-1965 гг. in July 1956 GBTU approved the blueprint Object 430 mounting the 5TD engine.

quote:

Well, the glacis is right at least, (80steel+2(52Fiber)+20steel), but you're right the turret is off. Is that a diagram for the production version of the T-64A? What year?
It's for the production Object 432 from the first half of 1964.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well than, not sure if I should edit my post or simply add links with your rebuttals to the further reading section. I certainly don't think that an updated re-post is appropriate.

Work on the T-72 post has begun as well, comrades :ussr:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

I certainly don't think that an updated re-post is appropriate.

Nah man, post it again. No reason to go through this thread's backlog unless we have to. Thing's unwieldily long already.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Cool!

Not everything is tained by WoT. Only WoT and everyone who plays it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This caught my eye on the wiki front page:

wiki posted:

Did you know:
... that Colonel John Shelton was so unpopular with his men that they gave three cheers upon hearing of his death?

So I had a look.

Lt V. Van Eyre posted:

All have heard of the British squares at Waterloo, which defied the repeated desperate onsets of Napoleon's choicest cavalry. At Beymaroo we formed squares to resist the distant fire of infantry, thus presenting a solid mass against the aim of perhaps the best marksmen in the world, the said squares being securely perched on the summit of a steep and narrow ridge, up which no cavalry could charge with effect ... Our cavalry, instead of being found upon the plain, where they might have been useful ... were hemmed in between two infantry squares, and exposed for several hours to a destructive fire from the enemy's jezails, on ground where, even under the most favourable circumstances, they could not have acted with effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelton_(British_Army_officer)

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Wow quite a record of incompetence, he was second to Elphybey in Kabul

quote:

Only he could have permitted the First Afghan War and let it develop to such a ruinous defeat. It was not easy: he started with a good army, a secure position, some excellent officers, a disorganized enemy, and repeated opportunities to save the situation. But Elphy, with the touch of true genius, swept aside these obstacles with unerring precision, and out of order wrought complete chaos. We shall not, with luck, look upon his like again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PlantHead posted:

Wow quite a record of incompetence, he was second to Elphybey in Kabul

People in this thread who have not read the Flashman series of novels may care to do so - the first one covers the first Afghan war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And this was before the cluster gently caress that was the Crimean War as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xerxes17 posted:

Well than, not sure if I should edit my post or simply add links with your rebuttals to the further reading section. I certainly don't think that an updated re-post is appropriate.

Work on the T-72 post has begun as well, comrades :ussr:
Use this thread as proof-reading for an offsite blog, eventually :justpost: there?

Jaguars! posted:

This caught my eye on the wiki front page:

So I had a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelton_(British_Army_officer)
Oh hey, he's buried like three buildings up from me right now. I'll wave when I walk past on the way home.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The British War Council falls over, mortally wounded, and regenerates into the War Committee, which will set a new British record by operating as designed to provide serious and sober oversight for a full 24 hours before starting to make some ominous spluttering noises and eventually careering headlong into a ditch. Anyway, they decide to prevaricate on the Gallipoli question by sending Lord Kitchener to have a look for himself. (Cries of "About bloody time!" from noises off.) Third Isonzo careers headlong towards its inevitable conclusion, Louis Barthas succumbs to the siren call of cafard, and it's finally time for the grand entrance onto the stage of my favourite person of the war: Flora Sandes, late of Nether Poppleton in Yorkshire, a British nurse who's been living and working in Serbia for a while now. She's been having a holiday back home, but has managed to find passage to Salonika and arrives today.

Arquinsiel posted:

Use this thread as proof-reading for an offsite blog, eventually :justpost: there?

Oh sure now everybody gets a blog :argh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh sure now everybody gets a blog :argh:

You people can always count on me not getting one if that's of any consolation :ohdear:

Besides, it's not like he's gonna start reporting cold war soviet tank development day by day.

Cold War HEAT posted:

November 15, 1965: Today, Shurik is drunk and a cow wandes into the factory to eat the projects of the ATGMs...

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I'm kind of fascinated by the insides of tanks, because I really can't visualize where all the stuff is. Even with plan diagrams, I don't understand what it's like to be inside one, except maybe the Renault FT. Cameras can only pull back so far and cover so much, so perspective of cramped spaces is hard to understand that way (and I say this as an ex-submariner). The turret-hull interface, on the inside, is the biggest point of mystery. The commander and gunner (and presumably loader) sit in a rotating basket under the turret, with the driver in the hull, but they all have some kind of access to the other, right? Like, I imagine there's a way for a driver to worm himself through the hull, past the basket supports, into the turret basket? And the loader has to have some way to get to ammo once he's gone through his ready stores, so he needs access to magazines in the hull, right?

Wacky outliers like the Stridsvagn 103 and Merkava aside - though I'd love to hear about them too - how does the crew manage themselves in a conventional MBT? If a gunner suddenly gets pointed to a target by the commander, is the loader in danger of losing limbs as the basket rotates and the hull doesn't? A confined space seems a hell of a place to manage a rotating space with a relatively stationary one, but clearly people do it and I don't see how.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Buy a full interior model kit, it helps to see how cramped these things are. As for getting around the tank, it's usually possible. However, for Soviet cold war super- compact MBTs the driver could be hard to get to since he was blocked off by the autoloader. On the Ferdinand, the driver and radio operator were blocked off by the engine compartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

hogmartin posted:

I'm kind of fascinated by the insides of tanks, because I really can't visualize where all the stuff is. Even with plan diagrams, I don't understand what it's like to be inside one, except maybe the Renault FT. Cameras can only pull back so far and cover so much, so perspective of cramped spaces is hard to understand that way (and I say this as an ex-submariner). The turret-hull interface, on the inside, is the biggest point of mystery. The commander and gunner (and presumably loader) sit in a rotating basket under the turret, with the driver in the hull, but they all have some kind of access to the other, right? Like, I imagine there's a way for a driver to worm himself through the hull, past the basket supports, into the turret basket? And the loader has to have some way to get to ammo once he's gone through his ready stores, so he needs access to magazines in the hull, right?

Wacky outliers like the Stridsvagn 103 and Merkava aside - though I'd love to hear about them too - how does the crew manage themselves in a conventional MBT? If a gunner suddenly gets pointed to a target by the commander, is the loader in danger of losing limbs as the basket rotates and the hull doesn't? A confined space seems a hell of a place to manage a rotating space with a relatively stationary one, but clearly people do it and I don't see how.

This is always how I've felt about spacecraft too. I've long wished somebody had high-fi replicas of Gemini, Apollo and Soyuz capsules that one could sit down in. I did have a chance to stick my head and shoulders into an Orion capsule mockup at JSC, but it's just not the same as getting to sit in it.

• Locked thread