Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm surprised you of all people don't see a connection between this ranking and the NZ real estate bubble you have posted about many times

I posted a comment on the article about the bubble. New investor rules are in force requiring 30% equity on investment properties in Auckland and 15% elsewhere. However, the comments coming through is that most property investors can achieve 30% without slowing down their purchases.

I think there's a lot of people thinking that property prices can't go down and forget the financial problems that have happened overseas.

In relation to one statistic in the article just over 50% of the wealth is property. So even if you put property values at zero we still have four times the average wealth versus someone in the US. I'm wondering if there's a bubble forming elsewhere, or if we're benefiting from every other country suffering.

I might have to dig around in the numbers a bit more but the article sets things in an unusual place. People are worried about deflation for all other areas of the economy are there's pressure to lower interest rates, but those housing rates have been shown to not increase consumer spending. Mortgages and personal loans seem to be decoupled in relation to their inflationary effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I started a new job 2 weeks ago, but before I started they had asked me for a list of professional references, which I provide to them. They didn't contact any of my references though. Is that strange?

That was kind of the case for my current job, they asked for references but my current manager never spoke to any of them, HR contacted them for purpose of a background check only. One the one hand I had really strong references and it sucks that I couldn't take advantage of them, but on the other hand I got the job anyway so my qualifications were good enough on their own.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
An update to 'my work cut cost 50% by laying off my coworkers'.

Last week I was told that I'm now head of my department (by virtue of being the only one left). Woo, all the responsibility, none of the pay! Currently my options are a.) stick it out and leverage the title change into a job in the same field or b.) find a new job in my previous field. It's a really tough decision, because while option a is logically the best choice since it has better opportunities (and pay) than option b, I'm just not sure I can cope with the added responsibilities and pressure since it's now just me.

It's a bit of a shame this is all happening now, because I was rapidly approaching my investment goal for this year, but since my job situation is so unstable I'm now keeping my money in cash.

At least I don't buy lunch out?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What do you need to stick out? Is anything stopping you from applying to jobs in your current field with your new title right now?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What do you need to stick out? Is anything stopping you from applying to jobs in your current field with your new title right now?

Primarily lack of experience and lack of exposure about the latest software testing technologies. A lot of stuff gets done here manually because it's quicker than automating it. Also I've only been here a year and had this new title for all of a week...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's no harm is sending out applications now, it could take a while for anyone to want to hire you and you can use all of that time to actually build up experience. If you're earnest about working somewhere else it's better to start applying now.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I have a question about annual RSUs.

Assuming it's stable and you get the same amount of RSU every year. You're not getting 150% of RSUs by the time you leave assuming you stayed for more than 4 years, is this correct?

This is how I'm looking at it.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

MeruFM posted:

I have a question about annual RSUs.

Assuming it's stable and you get the same amount of RSU every year. You're not getting 150% of RSUs by the time you leave assuming you stayed for more than 4 years, is this correct?

This is how I'm looking at it.

Sometime shortly after hire, you receive a grant for some number of shares. At this point, you do not actually own any of the stock yet. The shares are guaranteed to you, provided that you meet the terms of the RSU agreement (i.e. keep working your job full-time). If you leave the company, then the RSUs are lost.

One year later, 1/4 of the shares finish vesting. Those shares become yours, and this is a taxable event. Your company probably has an option to sell some of the shares for you to cover the income tax. This happens three more times in years 2, 3, and 4, at which time you own all of the shares.

Every year, this process happens, and they all overlap. So in year 2, you vest 1/4 of the shares from each of your first two grants. Then in year 3, you vest 1/4 of the shares from each of your first three grants. In year 4 and onward, you will have four grants that each vest 1/4 of their shares.

In the example spreadsheet, assuming no change in grant value or share price, you would have earned 450% of the grant value when leaving the company after year 6. The other 150% in unvested shares would be lost.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would just ignore unvested shares - they may as well not exist. The stock that vests in a given year *is* your bonus regardless of what your company says. All that the unvested stock is doing is helping you predict your next year's stock bonus, assuming you stick around. Ignore this if your company has some sort of good faith clause where you stock still vests if you leave on good terms.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hell yeah. Just got my settlement check from Oliva v. Anheuser-Busch, a suit alleging that Kirin Beer was deceptively marketed as an import when it's brewed in the US. I had totally forgotten about this but now I have an extra $12, which is enough to...buy another 6 pack of Kirin :confuoot:

e: And then the very next piece of mail is from my pension board and gave me a papercut. The financial industry is the worst.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 3, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

pig slut lisa posted:

Hell yeah. Just got my settlement check from Oliva v. Anheuser-Busch, a suit alleging that Kirin Beer was deceptively marketed as an import when it's brewed in the US. I had totally forgotten about this but now I have an extra $12, which is enough to...buy another 6 pack of Kirin :confuoot:

e: And then the very next piece of mail is from my pension board and gave me a papercut. The financial industry is the worst.

The good with money person was the lawyer involved with that...

What's knyteguy up to these days? He said october 30th and now it's November, what gives? I sure hope he hasn't bought a BB8 and another mullet mobile.

I hate that the blue story thread went to GWS and blue story got banned, I really liked that thread

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

The good with money person was the lawyer involved with that...

What's knyteguy up to these days? He said october 30th and now it's November, what gives? I sure hope he hasn't bought a BB8 and another mullet mobile.

I hate that the blue story thread went to GWS and blue story got banned, I really liked that thread

KG is probably still ticking over doing things the way he's always been doing. That never changes whether he posts or not.

I didn't know that thread went to GWS. I guess I'll have to have a look later on but I'm guessing she pissed off the whole subforum.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
If KG could bill $10/hr for the time he's spent loving around in that thread he could retire today with all the coke and Camaros one could want.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Devian666 posted:

KG is probably still ticking over doing things the way he's always been doing. That never changes whether he posts or not.

I didn't know that thread went to GWS. I guess I'll have to have a look later on but I'm guessing she pissed off the whole subforum.

Eh, it's been GWS goons humble bragging about coq au vin in slowcookers or some poo poo, it got real lame. However, this was going on...

I wish there was more of that.

Basically just click this for the best parts of the thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=168705

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 3, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Easychair Bootson posted:

If KG could bill $10/hr for the time he's spent loving around in that thread he could retire today with all the coke and Camaros one could want.

I miss that thread, it was bliss to have someone defend buying a Camaro with "Sometimes we drive through a snowy mountain pass, and this car will be the safest thing for my family to travel in. :downs:"

Come back KG, I want to hear about all the wonderful purchases you've made in the last month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Knyteguy sounds awesome. I got burnt out on Slow Motion and haven't been able to read the advice threads since. :ohdear:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tuyop posted:

Knyteguy sounds awesome. I got burnt out on Slow Motion and haven't been able to read the advice threads since. :ohdear:

KG will be back. Have no fear.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

spwrozek posted:

KG will be back. Have no fear.

He came back to tell us about all the poo poo he's gonna buy then closed the thread again so we couldn't piss all over him in his ever deepening well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
It's open again for a period of time.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's good knowing I got the best out of the blue story GWS thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Okay, so let's talk health insurance. Mainly, how the hell do I get cheaper health insurance? My premium is going from $427 to $489 and my husband's is going from $299 to $335. What the flying gently caress, people. We may have a kid in the next year, complicating things. Should I be looking into a broker to see what's best? This is one of the most confusing things to me, I hate trying to compare the different plans. It's loving awful and I normally enjoy comparison shopping. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. (I'm in Santa Cruz, California but would also appreciate general advice)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

Okay, so let's talk health insurance. Mainly, how the hell do I get cheaper health insurance? My premium is going from $427 to $489 and my husband's is going from $299 to $335. What the flying gently caress, people. We may have a kid in the next year, complicating things. Should I be looking into a broker to see what's best? This is one of the most confusing things to me, I hate trying to compare the different plans. It's loving awful and I normally enjoy comparison shopping. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. (I'm in Santa Cruz, California but would also appreciate general advice)

Just talk to a broker. At least then you can get a competitive comparison. You might be able to get something tailored better to your situation.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Alright, I made an appt to go see a broker this Thursday. Man, gently caress the american health insurance system. I want to be able to understand my coverage, dammit!

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

BloodBag posted:

He came back to tell us about all the poo poo he's gonna buy then closed the thread again so we couldn't piss all over him in his ever deepening well.

His thread should just be closed for good. He is the worst goon in a well since zaurg.

His response to going $500 over on eating out and buying toys is to spend $100 on weights that will be used for a month and then collect dust. Oh and also to make plans to pull money from a car maintenance fund to buy more weights before he has even bought the first set of weights. Then he closes the thread because he doesn't want to get yelled at for his stupid decisions. Why even have a thread at this point?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm sure there are other threads he can pull from the freezer, it'll be all right.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

hitachi posted:

His thread should just be closed for good. He is the worst goon in a well since zaurg.

His response to going $500 over on eating out and buying toys is to spend $100 on weights that will be used for a month and then collect dust. Oh and also to make plans to pull money from a car maintenance fund to buy more weights before he has even bought the first set of weights. Then he closes the thread because he doesn't want to get yelled at for his stupid decisions. Why even have a thread at this point?

He just needs to accept that he will keep making those bad decisions, and might as well leave the thread closed. No point updating if there's no way to give feedback.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Today I learned that I have been paying a $10 credit card fee every month that my health insurance auto-pays. Looking back through the billing history, I have wasted over $200 on those fees. I opted out of paper bills when I first signed up for the plan, and the emails only say "your payment has processed, log in to the website for a detailed statement" or whatever. I just assumed that the price I was being charged was the price of my premium. :saddowns:

The lovely part is that I went out of my way to sign up that credit card - the Mastercard we hardly ever use, because they don't accept Visa (who doesn't accept Visa???) because I wanted to earn some sort of points instead of getting nothing for bank/debit charges. So... that's fixed now... but I am a huge idiot for letting that go on for that long. Laugh at my pain. Check your autopayments!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My latest accomplishment: Adjusting my withholding and deferrals exactly so that my paycheck comes out to "1337.69", just like 14 year old me always wanted

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

drat Bananas posted:

Today I learned that I have been paying a $10 credit card fee every month that my health insurance auto-pays. Looking back through the billing history, I have wasted over $200 on those fees. I opted out of paper bills when I first signed up for the plan, and the emails only say "your payment has processed, log in to the website for a detailed statement" or whatever. I just assumed that the price I was being charged was the price of my premium. :saddowns:

The lovely part is that I went out of my way to sign up that credit card - the Mastercard we hardly ever use, because they don't accept Visa (who doesn't accept Visa???) because I wanted to earn some sort of points instead of getting nothing for bank/debit charges. So... that's fixed now... but I am a huge idiot for letting that go on for that long. Laugh at my pain. Check your autopayments!

I've been burned by that one in the past. I had been paying $10 a month in a debit card fee for a year. That fee was not visible on my bank's mobile app that I checked weekly, only by downloading monthly statements from the main site. :bahgawd:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm a week deep into the new job with a big leap in my payscale, four weeks if holidays, excellent benefits and pension! The lesson is, apply apply apply and constantly network yourself by going to every single PD event you can to get a feel for every organization relevant to your professional interests. Thanks for letting me rant through my ex coworkers insanity, thread :)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Toriori posted:

I'm a week deep into the new job with a big leap in my payscale, four weeks if holidays, excellent benefits and pension! The lesson is, apply apply apply and constantly network yourself by going to every single PD event you can to get a feel for every organization relevant to your professional interests. Thanks for letting me rant through my ex coworkers insanity, thread :)

Awesome to hear! Congrats!

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
When I stopped using my credit union and switched to Ally I never really got around to closing out the CU account. I moved most of the funds and just set up a $100 deposit per month as a sort of Christmas-presents-slush-fund-whatever type thing. I pretty much forgot about it. I figured I'd have ~$2000 in there, when I went to close it today. But it turns out I never actually transfered my savings account and I have been inadvertently hiding $13k from myself

I know that this falls firmly into the category of Good Problem to Have, but I still feel like an idiot :eng99:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

John Cenas Jorts posted:

When I stopped using my credit union and switched to Ally I never really got around to closing out the CU account. I moved most of the funds and just set up a $100 deposit per month as a sort of Christmas-presents-slush-fund-whatever type thing. I pretty much forgot about it. I figured I'd have ~$2000 in there, when I went to close it today. But it turns out I never actually transfered my savings account and I have been inadvertently hiding $13k from myself

I know that this falls firmly into the category of Good Problem to Have, but I still feel like an idiot :eng99:

How long ago was that? I'd be sad about losing those market gainz.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Almost two years ago

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Just talk to a broker. At least then you can get a competitive comparison. You might be able to get something tailored better to your situation.

Yeah, so I went to the "broker" and he tried to get me to buy dental insurance, death benefit life insurance, and accident insurance. When I asked for a comparison of health insurance, he just went to the website and did the exact same thing I had already done, then shoved me out the door when it became obvious I wasnt going to sign up that day. No useful advice at all. It was the loving worst.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Almost two years ago

Brutal.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

Yeah, so I went to the "broker" and he tried to get me to buy dental insurance, death benefit life insurance, and accident insurance. When I asked for a comparison of health insurance, he just went to the website and did the exact same thing I had already done, then shoved me out the door when it became obvious I wasnt going to sign up that day. No useful advice at all. It was the loving worst.

Looks like the whole health insurance system is hosed in the US. I hope you call him a useless unhelpful prick.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think I remember some new ish loan company that was giving good rates for loans, secured and unsecured, for cars and such. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Light stream from suntrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dead Pressed posted:

Light stream from suntrust.

Thanks man, good looking out.