Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

My last 7 matches of modern online have been against Burn or Zoo which let's be honest, is pretty much also burn.

Still playing Soul Sisters? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Like completely ignoring what is good/bad about modern vs other eternal formats, the sustainability of Legacy and Vintage is stunted by the fact that there is a limited number of cards for those formats that WotC can never print again.

So if you think Legacy and Vintage are the best formats, then it would literally be better for you if WotC went bankrupt and Magic stopped being printed. Proxies/fake cards would not be an issue and tournament formats wouldn't have to be decided based on company profits, meaning there would be much more Legacy and Vintage tournaments being run in proportion to all tournaments. WotC not existing would open the door for better software to play the game online than MTGO, with the best simulator actually being the one most people played on.

If you only care about Legacy and Vintage, WotC existing and trying to make profit by suppressing those formats while pushing Standard and Modern directly hurts you as a player.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Still playing Soul Sisters? :getin:

Unfortunately, I was playing U Tron and mulled to 5 in almost every game (I'm no a real hot streak!) Apparently I should start again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have like 8 or so Khans fetch-lands on MTGO left over from drafting, is now a good time to unload them for tix or are they likely to climb up significantly now that they aren't being opened much any more?

I have no plans to ever play constructed on MTGO.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, would people be interested in the next Thunderdome being modern but allowing use of cards from the commander sets? Probably starting with anything banned in Legacy also gets banned, so no sol ring and probably with a True Name Nemesis ban tacked on.

Past that, it would allow for use of cards like:

Brainstorm
Mother of Runes
Phyrexian Reclamation
Spoils of Blood
Baleful Strix
Flusterstorm
Lim-Dul's Vault
Malicious Affliction
Animar
Basalt Monolith (?)
Toxic Deluge
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Feldon of the Third path
Widespread Panic
Ruination

Etc.

Granted, the current Thunderdome still has two more rounds to go, but I'm just wondering if people would be interested.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ultima66 posted:

Like completely ignoring what is good/bad about modern vs other eternal formats, the sustainability of Legacy and Vintage is stunted by the fact that there is a limited number of cards for those formats that WotC can never print again.

So if you think Legacy and Vintage are the best formats, then it would literally be better for you if WotC went bankrupt and Magic stopped being printed. Proxies/fake cards would not be an issue and tournament formats wouldn't have to be decided based on company profits, meaning there would be much more Legacy and Vintage tournaments being run in proportion to all tournaments. WotC not existing would open the door for better software to play the game online than MTGO, with the best simulator actually being the one most people played on.

If you only care about Legacy and Vintage, WotC existing and trying to make profit by suppressing those formats while pushing Standard and Modern directly hurts you as a player.

Besides the part where that means magic as a game is probably dead and stale, yes.

I'd rather see every collector who likes the reserve list lose their lives in a tragic anthrax epidemic.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That could be a pretty cool format, but I see no reason that True-Name should be banned imo

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Mother of runes in modern would be insane, it's the most busted "fair" card in the fair legacy decks imo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, would people be interested in the next Thunderdome being modern but allowing use of cards from the commander sets? Probably starting with anything banned in Legacy also gets banned, so no sol ring and probably with a True Name Nemesis ban tacked on.

Brainstorm
Mother of Runes
Phyrexian Reclamation
Spoils of Blood
Baleful Strix
Flusterstorm
Lim-Dul's Vault
Malicious Affliction
Animar
Basalt Monolith (?)
Toxic Deluge
Feldon of the Third path
Widespread Panic
Ruination

Etc.

Granted, the current Thunderdome still has two more rounds to go, but I'm just wondering if people would be interested.

Never been in Thunderdome, but it seems like fun brewing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

Brainstorm
Mother of Runes
Phyrexian Reclamation
Spoils of Blood
Baleful Strix
Flusterstorm
Lim-Dul's Vault
Malicious Affliction
Animar
Basalt Monolith (?)
Toxic Deluge
Feldon of the Third path
Widespread Panic
Ruination

Etc.

I feel like this is probably a pretty breakable format but I'm down for brewing broken formats.

I don't see any reason to ban TNN either. I think Merfolk is the obvious deck to beat with it in the format but I don't think that's terrible.

I would want to know if we consider Commander's Aresenal part of this pool as well.

I actually think a more interesting brew format would be brewing with all of the "command zone" sets (http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname ) which gives you about a Standard's worth of cards to brew with.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Doesn't that give infect Invigorate?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mezzanon posted:

Yes. :ohdear:

Format seems like it could be fun but it may have some kinks that will need to be ironed out.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Include the From the Vault series and give it Berserk :getin:

A modern with flusterstorm in it would be both cool and good, though. I'd probably play and see what I can do with the cool UB cards you get access to

Actually, you'd get access to a bunch of the cards in Shardless Bug, which would be fun as heck

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

You're going to reveal my secret plan. :ssh:

But yeah, it does.

Bonus posted:

That could be a pretty cool format, but I see no reason that True-Name should be banned imo

Sigma-X posted:

I feel like this is probably a pretty breakable format but I'm down for brewing broken formats.

I don't see any reason to ban TNN either. I think Merfolk is the obvious deck to beat with it in the format but I don't think that's terrible.

I would want to know if we consider Commander's Aresenal part of this pool as well.

I actually think a more interesting brew format would be brewing with all of the "command zone" sets (http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname ) which gives you about a Standard's worth of cards to brew with.

I suppose True Name Nemesis ban might be a knee jerk reaction, but it doesn't quite sit right with me in a format without Force of Will as a natural way to at least somewhat deal with it.

As far as what the arsenal and planechase gives, there's Shardless Agent, Dark Ritual, and Reanimate, so sure, why not?

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Profiles for the Commander legends are up, includes a familiar face or two.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/commander-2015-story

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Basically: Compleated Ezuri, zombie daxos, and a bunch of randos from ravnica, jund, kamigawa, theros, and wherever the sphinx and angel are from

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Basically: Compleated Ezuri, zombie daxos, and a bunch of randos from ravnica, jund, kamigawa, theros, and wherever the sphinx and angel are from

The angel is another random from Ravnica by the feather colors, IIRC.

Flaming Sphinx is neat as heck though.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
The Orzhov ghost guy is also probably Teysa's "Uncle" from the novels.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The UR legend's name is like some fake looking haphazard mashup of word partials from previous UR cards.

My first thought was that Snoop had been called in as a consultant on the set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ohhhhhhh that Daxos

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Ohhhhhhh that Daxos

Someone on here actually read the Godsend book and summarized in thread and his whole character seemed completely cringeworthy. Especially the part where he had an anime harem including Nylea and Elspeth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So by color pair, my guesses:

GB: Not-Deathrite Shaman, Mazirek
WB: Daxos, Karlov.
WR: Kalemne, Angel
UR: Snoop Dog Album, Sphinx dude
UG: Ezuri, Snake

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
to be fair how do you know daxos wasn't a phyrexian obliterator :tinfoil:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I was expecting enemy colour dragons, given that a large motivator for the set being the way it is was the pushing of ally-colour dragons in Khans block. Still, I'm happy with what we're getting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's normally three legends each, so it's not out of the question yet, but it's might just be reprints. Options are limited with the colors and themes here, so maybe there are more new ones to be revealed. For BW I think the existing legends are 2 Teysa, 2 Ghost Councils, the Theros sisters, Athreos, Selena and Vish Kal.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

WhalerWren posted:

The Orzhov ghost guy is also probably Teysa's "Uncle" from the novels.

He is in fact that guy.

So far most interesting is Comp'd Ezuri for flavor reasons; though to be honest they did the G/B Eeeeeeeevil Elf with Glisa so it's not like it's amazing. Now if they did Comp'd Koth that would have been cool.

Question: Will these new Commander legendaries be legal in eternal formats like the previous? I'm going to assume yes; but I can see this "experience" mechanic potentially opening up new deck options in Modern/Legacy and that is yummy. Also holy butts the Confluences. Maybe I'm just over-reacting but dosen't this seem awesome in an eternal format?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 3, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah my guess is the third legend for each deck is a reprint.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gridlocked posted:

Question: Will these new Commander legendaries be legal in eternal formats like the previous? I'm going to assume yes; but I can see this "experience" mechanic potentially opening up new deck options in Modern/Legacy and that is yummy. Also holy butts the Confluences. Maybe I'm just over-reacting but dosen't this seem awesome in an eternal format?

Legacy and vintage yes, modern no.

Also that card is pretty bad because it costs 4, isn't a creature, and isn't Jace.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

suicidesteve posted:

Legacy and vintage yes, modern no.

Also that card is pretty bad because it costs 4, isn't a creature, and isn't Jace.

Heh good point. Forgot about the Jace Test.

I guess I'm just over excited by "Choose 3, they can be the same mode more then once". I enjoy Charms/Commands way too much. Maybe the Blue/Black ones will be good though.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Invigorate would be way more busted in Modern than TNN

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gridlocked posted:

So far most interesting is Comp'd Ezuri for flavor reasons; though to be honest they did the G/B Eeeeeeeevil Elf with Glisa so it's not like it's amazing. Now if they did Comp'd Koth that would have been cool.

He's totally gonna be the UG experience counters legend because there's a necromancer with a green skull that's being more GB and no one else is vaguely UG.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I didn't see this posted here:

Seems fun for EDH I guess? Also finally some abstract art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Booyah- posted:

Posted earlier; its a reprint from Odyssey with its original Odyssey art.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Booyah- posted:

It (including the art) is a reprint :ssh:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Oh no wonder the art is cool, it's not new era art direction :negative:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Re: Legacy sustainability chat, for what it's worth, SCG still runs legacy 5ks at every open series event. Them not being on camera is legitimately an issue for popularity of the format, though.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's totally gonna be the UG experience counters legend because there's a necromancer with a green skull that's being more GB and no one else is vaguely UG.

Also because he's got 'Progress' in his name and the blue Phyrexians are called the Progress Engine.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Good point.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Also because we already know what the non-Experience Counters legends for those colors are. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

You're going to reveal my secret plan. :ssh:

But yeah, it does.

I suppose True Name Nemesis ban might be a knee jerk reaction, but it doesn't quite sit right with me in a format without Force of Will as a natural way to at least somewhat deal with it.

As far as what the arsenal and planechase gives, there's Shardless Agent, Dark Ritual, and Reanimate, so sure, why not?

My thought was not adding them to modern, but rather brewing with the 1170 cards available in those sets only. I think you'd get a more balanced format there and less "here's my modern deck + goodies"

I think jamming them all into modern might be interesting for brewing but it might become lovely legacy because it'll have weird things like "no ponder, but yes brainstorm" and no BBE but yes shardless, etc. I think twin with maindeckable flusterstorm and brainstorm is probably just better than most decks that aren't TNN merfolk.

• Locked thread