Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

The sorry decline of British domestic manufacturing.

What the gently caress is going on in Tulsa :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DarkCrawler posted:

They should just go all in and declare a Chinese Antipope.

He'll go along well with their Dalai Lama
Then they do this for every world religion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

He'll go along well with their Dalai Lama
Then they do this for every world religion
Yesss. I can't wait for them to declare their own Anglican leader.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Chinese politics is complicated, so this is a general outline.

The Republic of China (ROC) was established in 1912, sort-of replacing the previous sovereignty of Qing dynasty China. That area more-or-less encompassed everything on that map.

Mongolia becomes a quasi-independent state in 1924, after several years of Russo-Chinese fighting and spillover from the Russian Civil War. The orange bit on the map is Tuva, which became independent around the same time, for the same reasons, but is now a part of Russia.

The ROC is an unstable state, and most of the country is controlled by warlords. In 1927, the Chinese Communists from the ROC government, prompting them to go off into the countryside to make their own base of power. This is the Communist Party that controls China today.

A whole lot of poo poo happens. Warlords fight warlords, as well as the ROC. Japan invades China twice, once during WWII. Chinese Communists grow in power throughout this time, and get the support of the Soviets. After WWII ends, the Chinese Civil War continues between the ROC and the Communists, until 1949, when the last ROC government is forced to move to Taiwan. The Chinese mainland becomes the People's Republic of China (PRC).

The PRC doesn't have an effective way to get to Taiwan, and eventually Taiwan gets US support so the issue will never be settled by war. So the ROC technically still exists, and they still claim to be the legitimate governors of their territory, which naturally encompasses the ROC as it existed in 1912.

Thanks for this. Some I knew, turns out there were gaps however. The inter-war years were a crazy loving time, I need to learn more about that time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm glad they remembered to put the title in there.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Count Roland posted:

I'm glad they remembered to put the title in there.

If only we had this map during the Reagan years the war on drugs would have been a lot more interesting.

Edit: especially if he mixed up the land/water in this map.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

davebo posted:

If only we had this map during the Reagan years the war on drugs would have been a lot more interesting.

Edit: especially if he mixed up the land/water in this map.

THEIR DRUGS

OUR DRUGS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the white people in the front row.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

HorseRenoir posted:

What the gently caress is going on in Tulsa :stare:
Presumably not very much.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

functionally identical to a "whitest countries" map

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yesss. I can't wait for them to declare their own Anglican leader.

They kinda did already. China has simplified Christianity to one of two choices: 1. Christian or 2. Catholic. "Christian" means any protestant and therefore a member of the Three-Self Patriotic Movement and Catholic means any Catholic and therefore a member of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association.

Any other choice is illegal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's no fun. Allowing Anglican/Episcopalian as a third choice (which it claims itself as anyway) would allow them to appoint their own alternative Queen of England to govern it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Why would people in Norway, Sweden, and Finland be happy? They don't have sun.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is sun the only thing you need to be happy?

Besides, there is an abundance of daylight in the summer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Estonian booze?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Netherland? :raise:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ekuNNN posted:

The Netherland? :raise:

Just the one

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

majormonotone posted:

Central and Eastern Europe's way whiter but also much sadder.

e: unless you consider slavs to be non-white

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know we do!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bloodnose posted:

They kinda did already. China has simplified Christianity to one of two choices: 1. Christian or 2. Catholic. "Christian" means any protestant and therefore a member of the Three-Self Patriotic Movement and Catholic means any Catholic and therefore a member of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association.

Any other choice is illegal.

Hmm... you know, the Trinity is conceptually similar to the One China policy. Both China and God are divided into separate sub-entities, yet each sub-entity is also the complete thing, whole and entire, and it's all somehow indivisible. Heresies (the trinity is polytheistic, there are two Chinas) are angrily denounced. And in each case, the whole thing doesn't really make a lot of sense and everyone knows it but they just go with it anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

majormonotone posted:

Eh, New Zealand? Only 2/3 of the population identifies as European descended, plus the original inhabitants actually seem to be accepted as an integral part of the nation, to some degree at least.

Kopijeger posted:

Lots of booze and food in the winter, lots of sun in the summer. It's an excellent system.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kopijeger posted:

Having to live above the Arctic Circle for 6 months just for that though? Maybe once to try.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lady Galaga posted:

Having to live above the Arctic Circle for 6 months just for that though? Maybe once to try.

Barely anyone lives above the Arctic Circle mate

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Guavanaut posted:

The sorry decline of British domestic manufacturing.

Is Vermont the only state with a statistically insignificant amount of Meth?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think how much sunlight/daylight you can handle is really tied to where you grew up. I'm from Perth in Australia (sunset at 7.30 in summer, 5.30 in winter) and I found it hard to cope with living in London - not just the bleak winters, but the disconcerting summers, where in the middle of June it starts getting light before 4am and isn't properly dark until well after 10pm. I can't even imagine what it would be like in Norway or Iceland. Similarly, I think somebody from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur might move to Perth and find our two-hour annual differential very offputting.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Maryland and Delaware

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

420 Gank Mid posted:

Because their needs are supplied with heroin.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

And cocaine, the WASP drug of choice.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

majormonotone posted:

only if you count the finns as white and belgium as a country

mobby_6kl posted:

Estonian booze?

ding ding ding

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

freebooter posted:

I think how much sunlight/daylight you can handle is really tied to where you grew up. I'm from Perth in Australia (sunset at 7.30 in summer, 5.30 in winter) and I found it hard to cope with living in London - not just the bleak winters, but the disconcerting summers, where in the middle of June it starts getting light before 4am and isn't properly dark until well after 10pm. I can't even imagine what it would be like in Norway or Iceland. Similarly, I think somebody from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur might move to Perth and find our two-hour annual differential very offputting.

Could be, but I'm surprised to hear that. I grew up at 51N, just a little south of London, and I absolutely love all the summer sun, and just despise the winter darkness. So much nicer to do stuff in the evening when it's bright out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This thing is awesome (and it does seem loaded in some ways at least):

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
One thing that's loaded is how lovely that color ramp is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

lol Europe

I live in one of the red blotches, I'm basically an Earthman from Caves of Steel.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
How the Chinese government uses shell companies to evade US laws about broadcasting propaganda inside the US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Phlegmish posted:

lol Europe

I live in one of the red blotches, I'm basically an Earthman from Caves of Steel.

I live in a gray zone, but it'd be surprising if it wasn't being a major city and all.

Considering the station for my city proudly announces that it's "China Radio International", I don't think they're really that sneaky.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I live in a gray (well, white, no?) zone too, but it's only a few hours drive to a bit of the second darkest zone, of which none seems to exist between central Spain and the Carpathian Mountains.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Count Roland posted:

NK best K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ras Het posted:

I live in a gray (well, white, no?) zone too, but it's only a few hours drive to a bit of the second darkest zone, of which none seems to exist between central Spain and the Carpathian Mountains.

What's a white zone?