Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MGTen
Aug 9, 2008

"It's a good thing I don't have any crotch fruit like those filthy breeders, otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue my exciting life as a boring, miserable shut-in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't get a Childfree vibe from that at all...

Unless it was uploaded to imgur to post on r/Childfree?

MGTen
Aug 9, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

The title is "Then I remembered, I loved not being a parent."

I mean, gently caress, it's cool if someone chooses not to have kids, but I'm always weirded out how most people that brag about how awesome it is to not have kids are just really boring, lovely people. It's never "I didn't have kids, so I went to this awesome Halloween party! We dropped acid in the woods while wearing costumes and played paintball, it was crazy!" or anything worth bragging about. It's always just "I don't have any kids so I got to play 40 straight hours of video games and shovel Doritos in my face".

If that makes you happy, cool. You do you and all that jazz, but if you brag about how great it was to not have any kids because you weren't forced to leave the house and have social interactions on one of the coolest adult holidays of the year, it's just going to come across as kind of pathetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

If he was in a one-party consent state he wouldn't need the camera.

I'm not letting this gem go unnoticed. Well done! :bravo:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm sorry but your Cecily av gets me every time.

Re: Childfree, I always kind of giggle when I see people who are in their early 20s talking about how they are childfree. Like...that's pretty normal. I'm 27 and I don't have kids and on Halloween I went to a friend's house, got drunk and came home at 2am. All the people at the party were my age or older. None of them had kids. Never once did the subject of us not having children come up. It seems weird to be obsessed with telling people you are so glad you don't have kids.

Marius Pontmercy has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Nov 3, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MGTen posted:

The title is "Then I remembered, I loved not being a parent."

I mean, gently caress, it's cool if someone chooses not to have kids, but I'm always weirded out how most people that brag about how awesome it is to not have kids are just really boring, lovely people. It's never "I didn't have kids, so I went to this awesome Halloween party! We dropped acid in the woods while wearing costumes and played paintball, it was crazy!" or anything worth bragging about. It's always just "I don't have any kids so I got to play 40 straight hours of video games and shovel Doritos in my face".

If that makes you happy, cool. You do you and all that jazz, but if you brag about how great it was to not have any kids because you weren't forced to leave the house and have social interactions on one of the coolest adult holidays of the year, it's just going to come across as kind of pathetic.

Ah, makes sense now.

To be fair though most people with kids are just boring, lovely people too. Wake up, feed kid, work, come home, do stuff w kid, maybe a hobby if there's time, sleep. Most people are boring and lovely really.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Eponine posted:

I'm sorry but your Cecily av gets me every time.

Re: Childfree, I always kind of giggle when I see people who are in their early 20s talking about how they are childfree. Like...that's pretty normal. I'm 27 and I don't have kids and on Halloween I went to a friend's house, got drunk and came home at 2am. All the people at the party were my age or older. None of them had kids. Never once did the subject of us not having children come up. It seems weird to be obsessed with telling people you are so glad you don't have kids.

I'm glad my avatar brings joy to the hearts of goons.

A lot of the Childfree weirdness is because of family/social/DOCTOR pressures to have kids; e.g., family hounding you every time "when you gonna have a babby", Doctor refusing medical procedures because "you may want babby some day." So people get pretty frustrated and so the backlash is kind of a byproduct of that built up frustration. Not that it isn't funny or over the top, like that story where some goth threw ketchup on some kids in mcdonalds because they were loud.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Thin Privilege posted:

A lot of the Childfree weirdness is because of family/social/DOCTOR pressures to have kids; e.g., family hounding you every time "when you gonna have a babby", Doctor refusing medical procedures because "you may want babby some day." So people get pretty frustrated and so the backlash is kind of a byproduct of that built up frustration. Not that it isn't funny or over the top, like that story where some goth threw ketchup on some kids in mcdonalds because they were loud.

Yup. I asked about permanent contraception for YEARS and the doctor kept looking at me like I dropped a baby on the floor, then punted it out the window and did a victory dance. Or people who assume that I am somehow defective for not wanting them. Yes, I hate babies because I know I have health issues. Thank you.

I also imagine some of it is that parents at jobs often gets first picks of time off, etc while single and childless people get saddled with things and that builds resentment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thin Privilege posted:

As I understand it the 'core' of the movement, as in the people with a legitimate greivance, is more in the deep south where young women especially have to deal with that in a massive way. Most of the people making the louder, stupider and funnier posts are facing far more minor (or nonexistent) issues, though.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

so basically r/childfree is like r/atheism but for children instead of religion

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

CommunistPancake posted:

so basically r/childfree is like r/atheism but for children instead of religion

Pretty much. It's a bit weird seeing some of the outright hatred for kids.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Don't act like you don't know. Don't passive-agressivly act like you have no loving idea what goes on in the world with google at your fingertips, trying to act all smug just because you don't know a trans person, you're "cool" enough to part of the same lovely group you are actively mocking on this forum.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Thin Privilege posted:

I mean, I get it in a lot of ways. I'm a lesbian and I get told at the gynecologist that I should be taking prenatal vitamins because "you never know when it can happen!" (I do! It would involve rape!), but:
1) why are people who are so anti-kid be thinking constantly and posting constantly about how they don't have kids and defining themselves as anti-child
2) how many of these people end up just having kids

Whenever I meet people who are virulently childfree, I get the distinct impression that the lady doth protest too much. Or I hang out with too many gay people who have no prospect of reproducing so we don't obsess about it and talk about things that have nothing to do with children because we are adults. My favorite restaurant/bar is 21 and over for a reason, though. Sweet, sweet silence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eponine posted:

Whenever I meet people who are virulently childfree, I get the distinct impression that the lady doth protest too much. Or I hang out with too many gay people who have no prospect of reproducing so we don't obsess about it and talk about things that have nothing to do with children because we are adults.

Maybe you're just lucky. I frequently get asked "When are you going to give me some grand kids?" By my parents, when anyone who asks about my interest in children founds out that I don't have any, for any reason, they smugly tell me that I'll change my mind and that I'm wrong for not wanting to have kids because babies. It gets grating, especially when parents who don't do the whole parenting thing and let their kids run around screaming get away with so much but any other adult gets poo poo on for stepping out of line or just having a bad day in general. I can get why these people say this poo poo online, because not everyone deals with it as well as others. Some people drink their frustration away, some people vent online to other like-minded individuals.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My parents don't really care if I have kids or not. Being physically disabled means issues with giving birth to kids anyway. Also, I have depression and such that I don't want to pass down. I'm Canadian, so maybe it's different.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Eponine posted:

I'm a lesbian and I get told at the gynecologist that I should be taking prenatal vitamins because "you never know when it can happen!"

Are you joking?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Nope. She wrote me a script for prenatal vitamins. I did not choose to fill it. I should also mention that during this appointment, I specifically asked to go on birth control because of cramps. So even if I was getting porked on the regular by a man, I clearly didn't want to get pregnant. Oh, she also tried to sell me on the prenatal vitamins by telling me it would make me hair grow. I have short hair. Like, boy-short. I hate having my hair grow. It just means more haircuts. But now I'm at an LGBT friendly doctor's office where the most awkward thing they ask is my pronouns multiple times within a visit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MageMage posted:

Don't act like you don't know. Don't passive-agressivly act like you have no loving idea what goes on in the world with google at your fingertips, trying to act all smug just because you don't know a trans person, you're "cool" enough to part of the same lovely group you are actively mocking on this forum.

I don't even know the names of actors in shows I do watch. Why are you expecting some random poster to know the name of an actress from a netflix-exlusive tv show? And why does not knowing that acress mean he hates trans people?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't even know the names of actors in shows I do watch. Why are you expecting some random poster to know the name of an actress from a netflix-exlusive tv show? And why does not knowing that acress mean he hates trans people?

Yeah, I think the ire could have been saved for the next post down literally calling her a 'tranny'.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

MageMage posted:

What

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Eponine posted:

Nope. She wrote me a script for prenatal vitamins. I did not choose to fill it. I should also mention that during this appointment, I specifically asked to go on birth control because of cramps. So even if I was getting porked on the regular by a man, I clearly didn't want to get pregnant. Oh, she also tried to sell me on the prenatal vitamins by telling me it would make me hair grow. I have short hair. Like, boy-short. I hate having my hair grow. It just means more haircuts. But now I'm at an LGBT friendly doctor's office where the most awkward thing they ask is my pronouns multiple times within a visit.

That's amazingly terrible.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Eponine posted:

that's why I take massive amounts of morphine constantly, in case I get horribly injured

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"yes officer, I was smoking weed but my doc gave me a prescription just in case I suddenly get cancer."

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Well, I've been legally dead for a year, so someone'd better hold a seance with Enrique so I won't miss my chance at gettin preggers.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

queserasera posted:

Well, I've been legally dead for a year

:raise:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

That's amazingly terrible.

Well of course an OBGYN wants all their patients to have babies. That's where all their big money comes from. Look at it like a financial advisor constantly offering life insurance to a single middle class man.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

we got another live one

I like this comment "Young white men are the most victimized demographic in our society. don't believe me? just ask imgur usersub"

and this guy did this in response

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Hihohe posted:

we got another live one

I like this comment "Young white men are the most victimized demographic in our society. don't believe me? just ask imgur usersub"

and this guy did this in response

Guessing a lot of people upvoted this "ironically"

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Eponine posted:

I thought the nice hair thing ipregnant women came from pregnancy hormones anyway, and not prenatal vitamins (but because of the timing people assume it's the vitamins.) Maybe you just need a new doctor.

Eta: somehow missed the last part of your post!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Folic acid, baby! That's the stuff in prenatals that makes your hair grow in lush and thick.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

canyoneer posted:

Folic acid, baby! That's the stuff in prenatals that makes your hair grow in lush and thick.

Maybe if you have a deficiency and your hair is poo poo; from what I can find there's no proof that it helps a healthy person's hair be any healthier. (Not that I'm married to this idea--if you have links share 'em!)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Then why don't bald dude's just eat a bunch of folic acid? I think maybe we just cured baldness!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Imgur found a new innovative way to hate on black people!

The comment section looked at the person's previous comments and found that they were actually from Chicago. That comment got promptly deleted :shepface:

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I dove deep into this imgur website and found some terrible stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/HxSvxmj.webm

http://imgur.com/gallery/qr0gqF4

http://imgur.com/gallery/dxVCHju

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

the Heart of Barkness

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Imgur found a new innovative way to hate on black people!

The comment section looked at the person's previous comments and found that they were actually from Chicago. That comment got promptly deleted :shepface:

As a literal white South African, I'm far more scared of American cops than black people.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

AtomD posted:

As a literal South African, I'm far more scared of cops than black people.

Fixed that for you.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

AtomD posted:

As a literal white South African, I'm far more scared of American cops than black people.

Are there a lot of American cops in south africa?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shayu posted:

Are there a lot of American cops in south africa?

I might be afraid of American cops simply because I never talk to them, see them in my area or deal with them in any way whatsover. I'm basing my opinion of American cops on very vauge notions. But you know what, instead of being embarrased about this, I'm going to wear it as a badge of edginess. Toot toot last call for the poo poo train to garbage-ville. Oh hey, that'll be me then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AtomD posted:

I might be afraid of American cops simply because I never talk to them, see them in my area or deal with them in any way whatsover. I'm basing my opinion of American cops on very vauge notions. But you know what, instead of being embarrased about this, I'm going to wear it as a badge of edginess. Toot toot last call for the poo poo train to garbage-ville. Oh hey, that'll be me then.

Hey, I'm a Norwegian count me in :toot::norway::toot:

• Locked thread