Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Annnnnnnnnd it's closed.

I can only imagine the chaos if someone at PredictIt had caught the FEC filing as it came out and immediately closed the market while shares were still trading at 50-50. :allears:

That would have been amazing. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's much more likely that some PredictIt users will always be a step ahead of them on every event. One sperglord with too much free time and three grand on the line can mop up a few small markets.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

these are the people taking our bets:

Does anyone notice that the buy and sell prices for Yes automatically match themselves up to the sell and buy prices of the No shares? Whenever I make a trade or an open offer, the corresponding opposite numbers adjust themselves accordingly, minus 100.

Does someone have an automatic trading script running that monitors this page and inputs or removes open offers immediately, with the idea that someone deciding to trade one side is an indicator to follow?
As a day-trading strategy for profit?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Obama just signed the budget and debt limit increase into law, you can get Yes shares at 99c and make a few bucks today if you max it. Zero risk.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Aliquid posted:

Does anyone notice that the buy and sell prices for Yes automatically match themselves up to the sell and buy prices of the No shares? Whenever I make a trade or an open offer, the corresponding opposite numbers adjust themselves accordingly, minus 100.

Does someone have an automatic trading script running that monitors this page and inputs or removes open offers immediately, with the idea that someone deciding to trade one side is an indicator to follow?
As a day-trading strategy for profit?

Yeah we finally have a healthy AM-radio population as well. Check out the comments in the debt ceiling market if you want to know who's money you were taking. Unfortunately I feel like long-term those sorts of people are going to disappear on their own because it's one thing to ignore being wrong about something it's entirely another when being consistently wrong is also costing you money.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Necc0 posted:

Yeah we finally have a healthy AM-radio population as well. Check out the comments in the debt ceiling market if you want to know who's money you were taking. Unfortunately I feel like long-term those sorts of people are going to disappear on their own because it's one thing to ignore being wrong about something it's entirely another when being consistently wrong is also costing you money.

Vox Nihili got into an argument with one of them because he thought that he owed the governement $828,816. The good news for PredictIt users is the pool of AM talk radio population is huge. The bad news for the country is that the pool of AM talk radio population is huge.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
I stupidly bought a bunch of LAGOV Dem NO shares at 54¢, now it's in the 30s and I'm stuck hoping that Vitter's outlook improves. Last poll has him down by 12, but its a Dem-sponsored poll.

I don't know Louisiana that well, but how much can an 8-year-old sex scandal matter if it didn't stop him from getting reelected last time?

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Necc0 posted:

I doubt they'll go away. There's bunch of literature on how consistently conservative media consumers fall for ideological affinity fraud (Tea Party pacs that just keep the donations, fake investments in Israeli oil futures, overpriced gold to hedge against Obama destroying the dollar, etc). This is a demographic with money to burn and an entire industry has been built around getting them to pay for scams that confirm their biases.

I'm guessing they'll keep showing up in the markets that conservative media tends to talk most about (presidential race, shutdowns, whether Hillary will be charged with a felony, high profile SCOTUS decisions on "culture war" issues, etc).

EDIT: Someone should convince PredictIt to start having markets on how much health care premiums will rise and whether there will be hyperinflation by year's end. You could make a killing whenever Limbaugh or Glenn Beck mentions them.

Corrupt Politician has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Nov 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I suggested a Nuclear Iran market similar to the current N. Korea one but they haven't opened it :(

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The November 30th poll markets are out, time to play the early swings, but I've maxed out debt limit YES and I'm waiting for PredictIt to close it dangit.

edit: Lessig has just dropped out. This of course matters because he was never taken seriously enough to be in any PredictIt Polls (god he wasn't even an option under 'who will be the democratic nominee' when bill de blasio and al gore are)

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Nov 2, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like the first linked market is this week's job approval market.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Necc0 posted:

I suggested a Nuclear Iran market similar to the current N. Korea one but they haven't opened it :(

Are you this guy?

quote:

Here's what I requested:

In July, Iran and the P5+1 agreed on the 15-year Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. This plan stimulated much discussion about whether Iran would be more or less likely to develop nuclear weapons. In other words, there is a potential Predictit market.

I think it would be a fun one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

The November 30th poll markets are out, time to play the early swings, but I've maxed out debt limit YES and I'm waiting for PredictIt to close it dangit.

edit: Lessig has just dropped out. This of course matters because he was never taken seriously enough to be in any PredictIt Polls (god he wasn't even an option under 'who will be the democratic nominee' when bill de blasio and al gore are)

The Hillary 50% one seems like a good short-mid term buy in the post-Biden era.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tomato Burger posted:

Are you this guy?

I think it would be a fun one.

I sent them an email but it was pretty similar to that, yeah.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Gyges posted:

Welcome to the PredictItDome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

What's the North Korea market anyway? The only I can think of that makes sense is "North Korea restarts their nuclear reactors for power".

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's the North Korea market anyway? The only I can think of that makes sense is "North Korea restarts their nuclear reactors for power".

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/475/Will-North-Korea-test-a-nuclear-weapon-before-the-end-of-2015#data

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That's an odd market, considering they've already done it multiple times in the past.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The key is that it has to be declared as a thermo-nuclear detonation which I think is pretty unlikely

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

I'm not understanding how it's linked. It looks pretty similar to previous markets.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Time To Chill posted:

I'm not understanding how it's linked. It looks pretty similar to previous markets.

If you buy no across multiple markets you should only be charged based on your risk instead of the value of the shares. Being the first linked market people are probably still treating it like the old markets.

Or the average predictit user isn't that smart and all linked markets are just going to be extra sweet for us.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
Yay, linked markets! I bought 25 shares in each of 4 Obama poll categories, and I have a negative amount at risk.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Corrupt Politician posted:

I stupidly bought a bunch of LAGOV Dem NO shares at 54¢, now it's in the 30s and I'm stuck hoping that Vitter's outlook improves. Last poll has him down by 12, but its a Dem-sponsored poll.

I don't know Louisiana that well, but how much can an 8-year-old sex scandal matter if it didn't stop him from getting reelected last time?

A newer poll from this morning shows a 20% margin for Edwards: http://www.brproud.com/news/local-news/democrat-john-bel-edwards-in-the-lead-according-to-new-wvla-poll

I was confused by the party affiliation #s from the poll in the footnotes though: 47%/32%/21% Dem/Rep/Ind - seemed way too high for Dems in a deep south state. A bit of googling makes it seem representative, based on past elections (538 linked to this data from the 2012 presidential: http://electionstatistics.sos.la.gov/Data/Registration_Statistics/Statewide/2012_0701_sta_comb.pdf... I didn't see the real, current data on the official website, but maybe it's out there).

I just put most of my Webb winnings in on Dems at 74c :ohdear:. Looks like voting ends on Nov 21st

JohnnyPalace posted:

Yay, linked markets! I bought 25 shares in each of 4 Obama poll categories, and I have a negative amount at risk.
lol

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The best polls are available now that we're in November - the "by the end of the month X will be at XX" polls. For some reason, people buy a tonne of YES shares at 80 at the beginning of the month. 30 days is a long-rear end time and you are pretty much guaranteed to make a profit riding the dips and valleys.

If the investors in these markets were smart, everything would be about 50/50 until the last week.

edit: Like seriously, Sanders' mark is 25%. He's 27 right now and trending downward since Hillary performed so well last month, and his NO shares are around 15 cents.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Nov 3, 2015

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

JohnnyPalace posted:

So let's say you win on all or most of them. Do you actually get paid $1/share despite having not put much (if any) money in, or is there some algorithm that goes "lol nope" and takes the bulk of your profit? I just really fundamentally don't understand how the linking works.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

So let's say you win on all or most of them. Do you actually get paid $1/share despite having not put much (if any) money in, or is there some algorithm that goes "lol nope" and takes the bulk of your profit? I just really fundamentally don't understand how the linking works.

Part of the $1 you get on any share is the money you put into it so I imagine you get paid the dollar minus whatever the share's cost was when you 'bought' it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

The best polls are available now that we're in November - the "by the end of the month X will be at XX" polls. For some reason, people buy a tonne of YES shares at 80 at the beginning of the month. 30 days is a long-rear end time and you are pretty much guaranteed to make a profit riding the dips and valleys.

If the investors in these markets were smart, everything would be about 50/50 until the last week.

edit: Like seriously, Sanders' mark is 25%. He's 27 right now and trending downward since Hillary performed so well last month, and his NO shares are around 15 cents.

The Sanders and Clinton polling at X% Yes markets are both uniquely good buys becuase though the numbers are based on their prior polling averages, essentially all of their opposition recently vanished from the race. Although Chafee, Webb, and Biden may have constituted only ~20% of the total polling, their absence will inevitably push the remaining candodates' numbers upward.

Except O'Malley, maybe, since no one cares about him.

Only bought into Clinton since the Sanders folks already pushed his super high, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

Part of the $1 you get on any share is the money you put into it so I imagine you get paid the dollar minus whatever the share's cost was when you 'bought' it.

Yeah, all the linking does is make it so that instead of putting up $6 for 10 shares of .60, you get those shares without having to lock up that $6 because you've got $8 already being held to cover a slightly bigger bet.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gyges posted:

Yeah, all the linking does is make it so that instead of putting up $6 for 10 shares of .60, you get those shares without having to lock up that $6 because you've got $8 already being held to cover a slightly bigger bet.

I'm still a bit confused about what exactly is going to happen. I bought one of each NO market just to test. After all the refunds as I bought them, I ended up being out only $0.05 for the total price of those five shares.

So when the market closes end-of-day Friday, do I get $5 - $1 = $4, and thus realize an 8,000% profit... or...? :confused:

Edit: Oh, I found it, you have to click "Your risk in this market" on "Your shares" to bring up the payout matrix.

Apparently I'm now guaranteed to lose 3-5 cents no matter which way the markets resolve.

Fuschia tude has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Nov 3, 2015

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

No, that 5-cent loss represents the worst case scenario; the sum of winning $1 minus fees and losing out on the shares that resolve to Yes will come out to -$0.05 at worst for you. If they resolve more favourably (say you win on shares you bought for 60 cents instead of the ones you bought for 90) you'll get a little bit more when the market closes.

Short story shorter, that $0.05 already has most if not all of your winnings rolled into it already.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm still a bit confused about what exactly is going to happen. I bought one of each NO market just to test. After all the refunds as I bought them, I ended up being out only $0.05 for the total price of those five shares.

So when the market closes end-of-day Friday, do I get $5 - $1 = $4, and thus realize an 8,000% profit... or...? :confused:

Nah, that means that the most you can possibly lose is $0.05 - your "risk." Since you bought EVERY contract's No shares, you've actually locked in a guaranteed loss of $0.05 if you wait to maturity, since there's only one possible outcome: that four of them resolve to wins and one resolves to a loss.

My first sentence sums up what linked pricing does - "No" shares just became cheaper in multi-contract markets if you buy "No"s in multiple contracts at the same time, since they now only cost whatever your maximum potential losses are. Before, you'd have had to pay $4.05 for those shares, and you'd get back a guaranteed amount of $4.00 for them at the conclusion of the market (because, no matter what, there would be four "correct" No shares, and one "incorrect" No share, since one of them HAS to win).

Now, you only gave to pay $0.05 for those shares, and you can go spend the extra $4.00 that was meaningless to have locked up in that market (since there was no possible outcome in which you'd lose any more than $0.05) elsewhere.

This has no effect on "Yes" share prices, except for the fact that suddenly "No"s are cheaper relative to "Yes"es than they used to be. In multi-contract markets, we might see Yes shares fall in value relative to where they would have been before as a result.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

thethreeman posted:

Before, you'd have had to pay $4.05 for those shares, and you'd get back a guaranteed amount of $4.00 for them at the conclusion of the market (because, no matter what, there would be four "correct" No shares, and one "incorrect" No share, since one of them HAS to win).

Now, you only gave to pay $0.05 for those shares, and you can go spend the extra $4.00 that was meaningless to have locked up in that market (since there was no possible outcome in which you'd lose any more than $0.05) elsewhere.

Aha. Got it, thanks. So basically it's pointless to have equal numbers of NO shares of all markets in a linked set unless you are buying and selling throughout the lifetime of it.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Fuschia tude posted:

Aha. Got it, thanks. So basically it's pointless to have equal numbers of NO shares of all markets in a linked set unless you are buying and selling throughout the lifetime of it.

unless you're this guy

JohnnyPalace posted:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fuschia tude posted:

Or if the market is imbalanced and that purchase guarantees you a return no matter what the result is.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
I'm very proud of myself!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JohnnyPalace posted:

I'm very proud of myself!

I posted about it last week. I did that and ended making 5% after fees. The only caveat is the fees took an especially big bite. One of them you will lose everything (of course). But 4 you will make a profit on, but you will pay the 10% on 4 sets of winnings. I'm probably explaining it bad. Say there were 5 levels each priced at 20 and you bought an equal number of all. At the end, one of them will have lost you 80, but 4 of them will make 20 each, so you will have won 80. But you will need to pay 10% on your winnings. So really you will net 72, but you will be down 8 once you factor the amount you lost.

It can work if the price of YES adds up to way over 100, but I can see linked trades making NO easier to buy ruining that strategy

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Is there a way to see all current markets? There's some weird ones like "Repeal Medical Device Tax" and "Gas Tax" that are searchable if you know what to look for, but never show up in any of their main lists. I bet there's some gems hidden out there.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yes, clicking on the "US Elections," "US Politics," and "World" tabs on the lower left-hand side reveal all markets associated with that category, including the weird ones. Still can't see all markets simultaneously, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's sort of fascinating reading how some of the people on predictit view polls. No understanding of statistics, with a side of cherry picking and unskewing. Margins of error mean anything could happen, and there's definitely a silent majority just lurking around the corner of the voting booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

The Sanders and Clinton polling at X% Yes markets are both uniquely good buys becuase though the numbers are based on their prior polling averages, essentially all of their opposition recently vanished from the race. Although Chafee, Webb, and Biden may have constituted only ~20% of the total polling, their absence will inevitably push the remaining candodates' numbers upward.

Except O'Malley, maybe, since no one cares about him.

Only bought into Clinton since the Sanders folks already pushed his super high, though.

And that's very true if you bought in with the plan of making money on being right on November 30. If you're just trying to turn a profit in a week or so, that 15 cents will get to 20 eventually if some poll causes a panic. And don't be too shocked when o mallet stays to poll a little more favourably. Nothing over 5, of course, but I dont think he's as much a non entity as webb or Chafee was.

• Locked thread